Author Topic: NFL 2023-2024: Hail to the Chefs... great googly moogly  (Read 36452 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: NFL 2023-2024: Hail to the Chefs... great googly moogly
« Reply #510 on: 31 December 2023, 17:31:14 »
I saw some tweet about how the Ravens locking up the 1seed meant the Chiefs would not host the AFFCG this year and I must conclude that this person hasn't watched the playoffs before.

At least one of the AFFCGs the Chiefs have hosted in this steak came as the 2 seed when the 6 seed Titans beat the *checks notes* 1 seed Ravens.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #512 on: 31 December 2023, 23:18:55 »
facebook: you must log in to continue

not today, satan

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #513 on: 31 December 2023, 23:40:26 »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #515 on: 01 January 2024, 09:50:29 »
Only had radio for the game, so didn’t get to see the two point conversion(s), but I give Campbell props for trying to win in regulation… three separate times. Curious if the initial attempt was ruled right. Sounded odd that one would report eligible and another wouldn’t, so interesting if it was refs or Detroit misunderstanding the rules/thinking they were within the rules.

Nevermind, sounds like right call, radio announcers seemed to make it into something it wasn’t.
Well I just read Allen Ref crew will not be doing playoff game 2024. I wonder why :rolleyes: ? Oh a lot national people are not happy with Allen Ref crew with all the bad calls for other teams as well. I watch the game at the end I see with my two eyes #58 #68 (Decker) next to Allen to report as eligible and #70 Skipper running on to the field. The Lions are not the only team to be screw by Allen Ref crew but they are last after this.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #516 on: 01 January 2024, 10:20:01 »
In the end, it is what it is.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #517 on: 01 January 2024, 10:21:34 »
That one hurt, but thankfully the Lions have conditioned me my entire life not to expect much.
  Yes Rebs that one hurt . I'm a burnout Lions Fan from 1995 from the loss Philly Eagles playoff game. I have seen a lot strange games this past year and Teams not playing like they should. I just read that this game prove that the Lions are a contender now yes they lost but they played hard with Dallas. Dallas avg 40 points game at home they only put 20 again't the Lions. I'am not stating this its the National people are saying this not me.The Cowboys fans are really worry now. Now for me I wait until the season is over to see where everyone fall in playoff seating . Its good hear that Allen Ref Crew will not be doing any playoff games 2024 but it don't help the Lions. Oh well later.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #518 on: 01 January 2024, 11:21:14 »
The Cowboys fans aren’t worried, trust me. They’re talking about Jimmy being inducted into the ring of honor breaking the “Jimmy Curse”, and using that to explain the botched call allowing them to win the game vs Detroit, and also for Arizona beating Phili, setting Dallas up to win the division. Believe me, they’re the most delusional fans out there. They’re running with this idea in their heads that they’re suddenly the “team of destiny” to win the Super Bowl this year. Unfortunately, I’ve heard some version of this same story from Cowboys fans every year since 1996, 😂.

Detroit fans, on the other hand, need to take a breath and live in the now instead of all that history of disappointment. The Lions will have a home playoff game and should get their first playoff win in a long time. If they lose at home, that would be a “slight” disappointment for this otherwise pretty good season. If they win their first playoff game and then get bounced out in the second, I’d still consider this a great season for them. I look at it like a 4-5 year plan to change culture; Campbell takes over, says he’s going to turn the Lions culture into “knee-cap biting fighters” and they go 0-10-1 before ending on a strong note winning 3 of 6 (showing what he said about not quitting, keep fighting, etc). Second year, they start 1-6, keep fighting and end 9-8 and miss the playoffs after the last week of the season on a tie-breaker. This year, they’ve done what they’ve done, won the division, and earned a home playoff game. They’re got a punchers chance to win it all, but I look at it a bit more realistically as they get a playoff win before getting bounced. Then the next two years are payoff years where they get to at least the NFC championship game and/or win it all. It’s honestly very similar to the 90s Cowboys rise when Jimmy took over. I think the worst thing possible would be for them to “peak” to early this year and make a run to the Super Bowl but lose it this year.

That’s just my two cents on Detroit.
« Last Edit: 01 January 2024, 11:24:14 by 17thRecon »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #519 on: 01 January 2024, 11:49:19 »
goofy playoff scenarios all over the league but the bills have the goofiest

win the division - beat the dolphins
eliminated from the playoffs - lose to the dolphins plus steelers win (vs the nothing to play for ravens) plus a jaguars win (vs the booboo titans)

falcons - win vs saints and a bucks loss moves them from 12th place to the 4 seed (tampa is at carolina so this one seems a unlikely)

cowboys - loss plus eagles win puts them on the road in tampa or atlanta. the kind of game dallas would never ****** around and lose.

packers / seahawks / saints / vikings - throw this pile of chaff in a blender and see who pops out as the 7 seed.

dolphins - loss plus colts win would put them in the 7 slot. and send them to... arrowhead. lol. (assuming the chiefs beat the chargers. which seems probable)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #520 on: 01 January 2024, 13:19:10 »
The Cowboys fans aren’t worried, trust me. They’re talking about Jimmy being inducted into the ring of honor breaking the “Jimmy Curse”, and using that to explain the botched call allowing them to win the game vs Detroit, and also for Arizona beating Phili, setting Dallas up to win the division. Believe me, they’re the most delusional fans out there. They’re running with this idea in their heads that they’re suddenly the “team of destiny” to win the Super Bowl this year. Unfortunately, I’ve heard some version of this same story from Cowboys fans every year since 1996, 😂.

Detroit fans, on the other hand, need to take a breath and live in the now instead of all that history of disappointment. The Lions will have a home playoff game and should get their first playoff win in a long time. If they lose at home, that would be a “slight” disappointment for this otherwise pretty good season. If they win their first playoff game and then get bounced out in the second, I’d still consider this a great season for them. I look at it like a 4-5 year plan to change culture; Campbell takes over, says he’s going to turn the Lions culture into “knee-cap biting fighters” and they go 0-10-1 before ending on a strong note winning 3 of 6 (showing what he said about not quitting, keep fighting, etc). Second year, they start 1-6, keep fighting and end 9-8 and miss the playoffs after the last week of the season on a tie-breaker. This year, they’ve done what they’ve done, won the division, and earned a home playoff game. They’re got a punchers chance to win it all, but I look at it a bit more realistically as they get a playoff win before getting bounced. Then the next two years are payoff years where they get to at least the NFC championship game and/or win it all. It’s honestly very similar to the 90s Cowboys rise when Jimmy took over. I think the worst thing possible would be for them to “peak” to early this year and make a run to the Super Bowl but lose it this year.

That’s just my two cents on Detroit.

The guys from FanDuel said the call was legit and move on.  And those guys are expert at... something... right?

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #521 on: 01 January 2024, 13:54:39 »
The guys from FanDuel said the call was legit and move on.  And those guys are expert at... something... right?

Right call, wrong call, I don’t know. I only used the term “botched” because that’s what the talking heads I was listening to called it in regard to the whole “breaking the Jimmy curse”. What I know is that call isn’t going to define the season for the Lions. No different than the Tooney offside call in Kansas City. If KC goes on and loses to Baltimore in the AFC Championship game, for instance, you think they’re going to say “well, we’d have won today if not for that offside call in Buffalo a few months back”.

Now, one of the things I see as Detroit bad luck rearing its head is that currently, they’d be hosting the Rams in the first game. Of all the teams they could pull, I think they’re the most dangerous. Granted, the Stafford vs Goff angle makes for an interesting story.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #522 on: 01 January 2024, 13:55:49 »
Hey Rebs I fine it funny you brought up FanDuel sports betting. I read 6 to 7 national reports on this Lion & Dallas game . I check their comments and found alot of NFL fans not Lions or Cowboy fans saying the reason Lions lost was sports betting. Who know if Refs in on it. I have already move on it but stills it make you wonder. The NFL could have huge problem if it true but I myself I don't know but I do read alot on line and all over as well.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #523 on: 01 January 2024, 14:03:14 »
Right call, wrong call, I don’t know. I only used the term “botched” because that’s what the talking heads I was listening to called it in regard to the whole “breaking the Jimmy curse”. What I know is that call isn’t going to define the season for the Lions. No different than the Tooney offside call in Kansas City. If KC goes on and loses to Baltimore in the AFC Championship game, for instance, you think they’re going to say “well, we’d have won today if not for that offside call in Buffalo a few months back”.

Now, one of the things I see as Detroit bad luck rearing its head is that currently, they’d be hosting the Rams in the first game. Of all the teams they could pull, I think they’re the most dangerous. Granted, the Stafford vs Goff angle makes for an interesting story.
I sometime wonder if that what NFL want is Lions and Rams in the playoff for drama. Heck the Lions and Dallas is a lot of drama there as well. The NFL live for the drama by the way.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #524 on: 01 January 2024, 14:09:07 »

Yes, it is an interesting story.  And yes, Stafford's familiarity with us and any extra drive he feels about beating us in a playoff game in Detroit makes it one of the worst possible matchups. 

But we have to deal with it now.

Hey Rebs I fine it funny you brought up FanDuel sports betting. I read 6 to 7 national reports on this Lion & Dallas game . I check their comments and found alot of NFL fans not Lions or Cowboy fans saying the reason Lions lost was sports betting. Who know if Refs in on it. I have already move on it but stills it make you wonder. The NFL could have huge problem if it true but I myself I don't know but I do read alot on line and all over as well.

Exactly.  A few million here or there to buy a few calls is nothing compared to hundreds of millions or more for the people buying. 

And it's more than just the NFL. 

But that's none of my business, where's my iced tea...

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #525 on: 02 January 2024, 00:47:45 »
Wait you are saying that the referee's might not be 100% honest..

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #526 on: 02 January 2024, 02:47:14 »
I know just the man to sort this mess out...

« Last Edit: 02 January 2024, 02:59:30 by rebs »

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #527 on: 02 January 2024, 08:22:20 »
Just a small reminder that insinuating that the ref was bought are highly liable statements. Unless you have proof of it I'd be careful with such blanket statements.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #528 on: 02 January 2024, 09:14:08 »
Especially for folks that actually watched that game. I'm surrounded by Lions fans who seem to think the entire game was one two-point conversion. If the refs had some conspiracy they wouldn't have gifted the Lions a 15 yard penalty for Hutchinson trying to trip Pendershot. And then once the two point conversion was negated, Campbell insisted on going for it from the seven. Aided by an offsides penalty they got another shot and he went for it again and failed. Then there was the kickoff with time left on the clock and Dallas having a time out and the best kicker in the league this season. Nor will any of them admit that the Cowboys might have tried to cover Decker if the refs had told them he was eligible. Delusion is high in Lions territory.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #529 on: 02 January 2024, 13:05:50 »
Sounds like I missed a wild game, shame on me. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #530 on: 02 January 2024, 14:11:48 »
Sounds like I missed a wild game, shame on me. 

It was!  There's plenty of video going around regarding the items in question, so no need to take anyone's word for it.   

S2pidiT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #531 on: 03 January 2024, 11:23:21 »
Especially for folks that actually watched that game. I'm surrounded by Lions fans who seem to think the entire game was one two-point conversion. If the refs had some conspiracy they wouldn't have gifted the Lions a 15 yard penalty for Hutchinson trying to trip Pendershot. And then once the two point conversion was negated, Campbell insisted on going for it from the seven. Aided by an offsides penalty they got another shot and he went for it again and failed. Then there was the kickoff with time left on the clock and Dallas having a time out and the best kicker in the league this season. Nor will any of them admit that the Cowboys might have tried to cover Decker if the refs had told them he was eligible. Delusion is high in Lions territory.
It was, on the whole, an unfortunate loss for the Lions (and us Detroit fans). Win or lose, Detroit has clinched the playoffs, and I'm looking forward to that. As I understand it, the Lions defense did a good job compared to every other team that played in Dallas this season (though Lamb still had a great day). I thought the final touchdown drive was impressive. Whether or not the referees made a mistake about who reported as eligible for the game... there were two more chances after that play, and the Lions couldn't get it done. I do appreciate Dan Campbell's aggressiveness, even if it's not the call I would have made. But overall, if the Lions want to win, they can't let it come down to a single play.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #532 on: 03 January 2024, 13:17:38 »
I'll simply say this.

If I threw a beer on David Tepper, I'd be banned for life from NFL stadiums, and probably have a slew of high-priced lawyers beating down  my door. And you know what? I'd deserve it. There's no room in a civilized society (even acknowledging that an NFL stadium on a Sunday is right there on the cusp of being called 'civilized') for that kind of behavior. Period.

Tepper threw a drink on a fan, and got fined for the amount in his couch cushions. No other consequences, not even an apology for acting like a clown. The league, the Panthers, Tepper himself, even the Jaguars (the game was played in Duvall) are refusing to comment any further on the situation. Fine him a few bucks, brush it all under the rug, move on with FOOTBAW.

Suffice to say that after all those years of Dan Snyder's reign as the biggest jackass owner in the league, we have a worthy successor. And hey, a two-win season AND you're handing the #1 pick to the Bears? Even better, you get to be this grumpy next season too. Enjoy!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #533 on: 03 January 2024, 14:10:54 »
Tepper Tantrum is such a fitting phrase....

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #534 on: 04 January 2024, 08:51:27 »
I underestimated the stupidity of the internet, again.

I get the uproar about the Lions/Cowboy call but do people really think that Jerry Jones paid off the refs? He can just call down to get his way and chooses a somewhat random regular season game to do so instead of the Dez catch? Or the crazy Aaron Rogers throw to the sidelines?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #535 on: 04 January 2024, 14:29:57 »
I'm not sure I see it as a "payoff" from the ownership for the call.  But it was bad, and with the NFL not looking at changing anything...  IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN

But I have seen way to many bad calls, to not question them
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #536 on: 05 January 2024, 00:33:26 »
I'm not sure I see it as a "payoff" from the ownership for the call.  But it was bad, and with the NFL not looking at changing anything...  IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN

But I have seen way to many bad calls, to not question them

The name you are looking for is Pandora. Tattooed on the inside of her thighs is FanDuel and DraftKings: That explains the feeling that you, me and anyone else with just a hair bit of SUS that the NFL is on the take, are starting to doubt the integrity of the game... I don't even like to watch some aspects of NBC sports because when they talk about is aspects of the game from the POV of professional sports gambling...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #537 on: 07 January 2024, 01:20:53 »
mike tomlin so ****** good it's unreal. dude would get a sack of half-built manikins to eight wins

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #538 on: 07 January 2024, 02:20:00 »
The games today (yesterday/Saturday) pretty much put Buffalo in a win or else situation, so the late Buffalo v Miami game, last game of the season, will be worth watching.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #539 on: 07 January 2024, 16:18:32 »
The games today (yesterday/Saturday) pretty much put Buffalo in a win or else situation, so the late Buffalo v Miami game, last game of the season, will be worth watching.

Well, thanks to the Jags losing the Bills are in. Still should be a great game as the division is on the line.
I have spoken.