Author Topic: Radically Different Sorts of Battletech Games  (Read 3128 times)

Demiurge

• Sergeant
  • What matters is it catches mice
Radically Different Sorts of Battletech Games
« on: 19 February 2023, 01:21:27 »
It's a bit of an odd quirk of history that the computer game side of the Battletech franchise is primarily the MechWarrior series. MechWarrior took its name from the original pen and paper RPG, now A Time of War.  The first entry in the series did have some RPG elements, but those were generally gone by the second game and the series since then has remained almost a pure vehicle sim.

Aside from the Mechcommander games, all of the franchise's games have stuck to a fairly narrow set of genres. But there are a hell of a lot of walks of life in the Battletech universe, and I think there are some potentially excellent games that could be made.

A High Seas Trader type game where you play as an independent, Clan Sea Fox affiliated merchant set during the Dark Age would be a hell of a lot of fun.

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: Radically Different Sorts of Battletech Games
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2023, 01:57:49 »
Would be a lot of fun but probably wouldn't sell very well. And since Microsoft holds the rights to the computer game side of things, if it won't sell there's no point.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2023, 09:54:00 »
Now a 4X strategy game for Battletech?  I'm probably biased in thinking that might do well enough to justify the work it would take but with Paradox as a middle man between HBS and Microsoft it could be quite interesting.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2023, 15:02:57 »
I'd love a Battletech game based around being a Battlearmor troop in FPS form. I think it'd be really cool.

Maybe a dramatic POV of the end of the Star League or something as a linear campaign from the eyes of a Nighthawk wearer.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2023, 15:53:18 »
Now a 4X strategy game for Battletech?  I'm probably biased in thinking that might do well enough to justify the work it would take but with Paradox as a middle man between HBS and Microsoft it could be quite interesting.

It would be more grand strategy rather than 4X.

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2023, 22:45:35 »
A good 4X game could be made out of the universe, but the scope would probably have to be so huge as to be off-putting.

Start out in the 22nd or 23rd century, establishing a colony in some star system. Found a House, build a nation, colonize other systems then duke it out in the age of war. Problem is you miss out on the primary draw of the universe for at least a third of the game...but then you get to raze whole planets through orbital bombardment.

Of course, a grand strategy game starting somewhere in the succession wars with a tactical combat element would probably be the best project considering the franchise.

NorikSigma

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2023, 05:08:51 »
my vote goes to CK2/Star Dynasties-like game. Roll up a minor house in the middle of nowhere and try not to get extinguished. Deal with your superiors and inferiors, defend against pirates, chip in on your Successor State's wars, steal/build industry etc. Practically speaking this would have to be confined to a limited area, I think. Either in a "slightly out of the way" area just out of the way of the "main" front lines. or a previously unseen area of the periphery that's close enough to get in on action, like BT2018. Or maybe not? Maybe a 'Sphere-wide simulation works better.

another idea is focussing heavily on the command management side of things. MekHQ/BT2018 but Even More. Scaling up from lance gameplay like BT2018 up to battalion level on a more abstract scale, all the way to regimental command (and maybe even joining as permanent units to a House), all while trying to keep your unit (or family, or succession of leaders) alive throughout X number of decades.

Another another idea I had was to delve deeper into the spy, black ops stuff that's already relatively developed for a game focussed on stompy 'Mechs and which plays quite a big role in the story already. Maybe a shooter, or maybe something closer to a shooter/RPG hybrid with double crosses and secret agents and imposters. Alpha Protocol with giant robots

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2023, 23:26:28 »

Of course, a grand strategy game starting somewhere in the succession wars with a tactical combat element would probably be the best project considering the franchise.

Would probably be best to start prior to the beginning of the SL Civil War when the power of all factions are at their strongest. Or maybe up to a decade before the Reunification War.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2023, 23:36:06 »
I'll admit that I never understood people's desire for a Battletech grand strategy sort of game. Sure, you've got big armies and such, and navies or whatever in some eras, but it just sounds so antithetical to what people generally appreciate about the franchise.

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2023, 23:46:48 »
I understand it. I came for the BattleMechs, but I stayed for the stories, big and small. I always thought the other assets of the setting didn't get enough focus. A grand strategy game would be a great place for some of the grander-scale parts of the franchise to shine.

Games like MechWarrior will always be my first love, but a BattleTech GSG would be fantastic too. ;D
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2023, 10:52:05 »

pheonixstorm
had you ever played rts sins of solar empire?
that is what you just described
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2023, 21:09:57 »
I'll admit that I never understood people's desire for a Battletech grand strategy sort of game. Sure, you've got big armies and such, and navies or whatever in some eras, but it just sounds so antithetical to what people generally appreciate about the franchise.

The transport element. Managing your limited jumpship fleet is as much part of battletech as the 'mechs. And then there's the whole "playing your favorite faction" issue. But its true that the MAIN draw is left out (well it's there...but it's just another token) of grand scale strategy, Hence the need for tactical combat. Perhaps something like mechcommander's online matches at battalion level with a pause to issue orders? Perhaps a bigger scope then mere battalion level to include supporting elements besides 'mechs?

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2023, 11:29:58 »
Call of Duty: 3050 would be pretty neat.  Imagine being a grunt in a squad going up against a point of 10-foot tall Elementals in their armor  :o
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

NorikSigma

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 27 February 2023, 04:47:50 »
I re-read this thread title and realised my first answer wasn't radically different, so here's an idea: engineering managment game, like those XYZ Simulator games. Lead a team of Mech Techs maintaining and repairing a unit's equipment, all while dealing with supply issues, parts issues, personnel management, dealing with "client-side" complaints (the MechWarriors unhappy that walking their Mech into close combat means they can't have it back in pristine condition for the next battle 3 days later, the Company quartermaster unable to procure the right weapon, so now you have the privilege of telling the merc commander that no his ER PPC is irretrievably broken for the foreseeable future, or if you're working for a House military, regimental HQ telling you that oops you're going to have to work in field workshop conditions for a month longer etc.)

Demiurge

• Sergeant
  • What matters is it catches mice
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2023, 10:06:20 »
I re-read this thread title and realised my first answer wasn't radically different, so here's an idea: engineering managment game, like those XYZ Simulator games. Lead a team of Mech Techs maintaining and repairing a unit's equipment, all while dealing with supply issues, parts issues, personnel management, dealing with "client-side" complaints (the MechWarriors unhappy that walking their Mech into close combat means they can't have it back in pristine condition for the next battle 3 days later, the Company quartermaster unable to procure the right weapon, so now you have the privilege of telling the merc commander that no his ER PPC is irretrievably broken for the foreseeable future, or if you're working for a House military, regimental HQ telling you that oops you're going to have to work in field workshop conditions for a month longer etc.)

I really like this idea. I think there would be a big potential for comedy in this sort of game.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2023, 20:07:44 »
pheonixstorm
had you ever played rts sins of solar empire?
that is what you just described

I've played Sins, though prefer Stellaris or MOO 3. Or even Gal Civ 3.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2023, 20:57:26 »
A good 4X game could be made out of the universe, but the scope would probably have to be so huge as to be off-putting.

Start out in the 22nd or 23rd century, establishing a colony in some star system. Found a House, build a nation, colonize other systems then duke it out in the age of war. Problem is you miss out on the primary draw of the universe for at least a third of the game...but then you get to raze whole planets through orbital bombardment.

There's always the foundation of the Clans. The first trials and Operation Klondike would make a fine tutorial. After that, fights are formal trials where you balance victory with honing good warriors and--of course--your honor as an individual and a Clan. Research techs, handle the lower castes, exterminate the Steel Vipers and handle Crusader Kings-esque pop-up events like the Wolverines.

You start by creating your faction. You can't deny it's 'mech-centric. And expansion and development play big roles in that era in accordance with canon.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2023, 07:48:03 »
Call of Duty: 3050 would be pretty neat.  Imagine being a grunt in a squad going up against a point of 10-foot tall Elementals in their armor  :o

Battlefield 2142 was abit like that, and in my opinion ahead of its time, are not MW Living Legends doing something similar, quiaff ?

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2023, 07:50:13 »

Age of Wonders: Planetfall is a good way to express your inner Battletech, down to tinest naming customisations and a sense of imagination, and more so if you can figure out the map editor

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #19 on: 13 March 2023, 19:47:32 »
There's always the foundation of the Clans. The first trials and Operation Klondike would make a fine tutorial. After that, fights are formal trials where you balance victory with honing good warriors and--of course--your honor as an individual and a Clan. Research techs, handle the lower castes, exterminate the Steel Vipers and handle Crusader Kings-esque pop-up events like the Wolverines.

You start by creating your faction. You can't deny it's 'mech-centric. And expansion and development play big roles in that era in accordance with canon.

Well, I'm sold. Foundation of the clans is definitely the way to go for a battletech 4x.

Since we're just day-dreaming here anyway... while pop-up events are always interesting (never played CK but the CORE mod of hearths of iron with its gazillion events made a run with any minor power an enjoyable experience), if you're gonna do the wolverine affair, might as well have a clan grand council. I'm not the most knowledgeable in computer games, so right off the bat I'm imagining it pretty darn simple like the papacy in medieval total war (the first), but I'd bet something better can be done nowdays. Still, getting "excommunicated" by Nicholas Kerensky sounds like fun.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 14 March 2023, 08:29:10 »
4x ?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #21 on: 14 March 2023, 09:13:25 »
4x ?

Common shorthand for particular strategy games like Masters of Orion.  Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate if I remember correctly.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 14 March 2023, 11:51:51 »
Common shorthand for particular strategy games like Masters of Orion.  Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate if I remember correctly.
yes remembered correctly
falls in turn based and real time...i very rarely found a game that falls in between
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 14 March 2023, 16:29:35 »
Battlefield 2142 was abit like that, and in my opinion ahead of its time, are not MW Living Legends doing something similar, quiaff ?
A heavily polished version of MWLL would be lovely, honestly. Work hard on improving the BA mechanics and maybe force more of an emphasis on the BA side of things.

Maybe with a slightly less crazy Discord server. I can't say I've been harassed through multiple groups for thinking a fully acknowledged and detrimental glitch needed to be fixed until I interacted with MWLL.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2023, 16:35:52 by Caedis Animus »

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 22 March 2023, 03:37:12 »

Yeah, seriously. The big draw is the BattleMechs themselves but you need to get down to the very small-end of tactics for their to be appreciable differences between them. The smaller, the better for that sort of thing. Once you're throwing battalions against battalions, who cares, since they're going to aggregates of combat power, modified by speed and survivability.

And even if that thorny problem were cracked, I have personally never played a 4X empire builder that had declining resources and tech scavenging rather than traditional R&D result in satisfying strategies. It is always some variation on turtling and fighting as little as possible while letting other factions burn themselves out by going to war and suffering (irreplaceable) losses.

That has a lot of potential to be thematically in-tune with the rest of BattleTech. Late 3rd SW, trying to keep a House unit or merc company mission capable, having to juggle priorities and keep plates spinning at the same time.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 22 March 2023, 05:34:14 »
A Citybuilder/Civilization/Rimworld type game, where you build up your landhold and also has to deal with pirate raids, neighbor attacks, or unhappy people rioting?

So it goes 'strategic' as you set up buildings and hexes, trying to improve your landhold.  You can arrange buildings for efficiency (similar to Supreme Commander's adjacency bonus), or you can spread them out to allow for improvements over time.

But then a raid happens.  Your economically optimized layout is not optimal for defense or mass-firefighting, so you need more troops to cover the landhold and your fire department is being overwhelmed.  This fight can be either the MWO FPS style, or the Mechwarrior game where you control units tactically.  (Rimworld style where raiders pop in and you have to deal with them)

You need to produce:
- Food
- various raw materials (ores/chemicals)
- technological items
- vehicles and Mech components
- political points (used to get new Mechs, access to better Dropship transport, access to more land, maintenance of political position, an advanced tech item, or a small database)
- defense (maintenance & production)

Some of the above can be gotten through Trade, so a player could set up a merchant empire if done right.

The game would have price fluctuations and adjustments over time, to avoid a single strategy being the only way to win.

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 05 April 2023, 20:38:22 »
How about an actual Solaris Game World RPG?  Start a character in The Reaches fighting in exoskeletons and work your way up to BattleMech fame in the championship!

A story-driven format would be all right, although it's then just another Battletech game that's been done before, albeit in a new setting. 

But you could have something of an open world where besides the matches, you have cloak and dagger amongst the stables, maybe such things as breaking into another stable's property to steal new tech they've been rumored to be working on (The Sasquatch, for example, made by the same company that would later create the Bandersnatch, I believe.  From sourcebook The Reaches). 

How about haggling with a tech or rival stable over used parts?  Or even engineering your own upgrades?  Although it would be very easy to break game balance allowing that.

Combat wouldn't have to limited to the arena matches either.  Assassins, factional warfare among the Great House supporters, and even accidents could all happen in the streets.

A random mission from a database of missions could crop up specific to the area in which you're travelling, and you'd have all the immersion of the various areas of Solaris, flavored with the Great House each represents - or, again, out in the Reaches.  I suppose the effect might be similar to the Jak and Daxter series combined with L.A. Noir after a fashion - you have the giant city with all its different sectors, and then the less settled and wild areas outside the protective walls - but much, much bigger.

I shudder to think, however, how long such a project would take.  I envision an awfully large world.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2023, 20:42:35 by Snimm »
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 10 April 2023, 17:03:47 »
Aerotech flight sim

Elemental game à la Shadow of the Colossus + third person shooter/action

Point n click adventure political thriller with Stackpole political drama

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer