Author Topic: Opalescent Reflections  (Read 67067 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Opalescent Reflections
« Reply #900 on: 27 May 2024, 06:40:21 »
Hilarity all around! ;D

Moriarty74

• Private
    • Dreams of 3025
« Reply #901 on: 27 May 2024, 07:48:50 »
I can almost see the Periphery realms voting to allow the different Clan groups in as between the two groups it would outnumber the five Inner Sphere nations votes.  This could lead to some VERY interesting political allies and would also mean that the Draconis Combine ever regaining all their lost worlds could never happen and leave the Dragon in the same boat as the Capellans are as a diminished version of its former self.
"Like spirited Eridani stallions chasing after fat, clumsy Luthien cows" Anonymous Rasalhague Journalist, 2749

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #902 on: 27 May 2024, 13:10:31 »
So is Ender a saKhan of the Diamond Shark or Sea Fox?  I was bit confused where they were going.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #903 on: 27 May 2024, 13:45:18 »
Sea Fox, Diamond Shark khans stayed in their places.
Shoot first, laugh later.

DragonKhan55

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #904 on: 28 May 2024, 18:05:21 »
Gawd I want to be a fly on the wall for when Victor meets the senior officers of Clan Wolf and talks about how he fought an unaugmented trial against Aidan Pryde.

Victor: "So then, get this... I slammed my knee right between his legs! He collapsed like a Kit Fox getting backsided by an Atlas!"

Uproarious laughter

Natasha Kerensky: "You know, maybe Davion CAN be a bloodname. We already have the Steiner one..."

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #905 on: 28 May 2024, 23:28:11 »
Opalescent Reflections

Full House
Chapter 20

Unity City, North America
Terra, Sol System
27 August 3059

“Archon, is this a joke?” asked Jeffrey Calderon incredulously.

Melissa Steiner-Davion shook her head. “I am reluctant, but sincere, Protector Calderon.”

Wei rested her hands in her face. “I assume that you are in a broadly similar situation to myself.” When she looked up, she saw all eyes on her.

“Would you expand on that, Primus?” Emma Centrella asked forcefully.

She ran her hands through her hair. “Clan Wolf was willing to negotiate the release of captured ComGuards who had not been willing to become their warriors. Since the Star League has refused to release captured Clan warriors, and lifting the interdiction would be strategically problematic. In the end, they agreed to return our soldiers if ComStar nominated them for membership of the Star League. I did not expect someone else to do so first.”

“Did they ask you to vote for other’s nomination of them?” asked Sun-Tzu. “You could vote down hers,” he nodded at Archon, “And then put your own vote forwards.”

“Technically, I could. But would anyone trust my word afterwards?”

“I admit that I had not considered that someone else would have agreed to vote for them,” admitted the Archon. “I can at least blame Ryan for this, although if I had known someone else was in this position, I might have ordered that he be relieved and replaced for the fighting on Orkney.”

“That might have been wiser,” Candace Liao agreed. “At least you only have one vote to cast now.”

Extended negotiations had finally come to terms over the Federated Commonwealth’s two votes, and in exchange for the Star League taking on the war debts of all three realms bordering the Clans, House Steiner-Davion would now cast only a single vote. Of course, as the single largest member state, the Federated Commonwealth would still be paying most of the debts, but the difference was still a large amount of money in absolute terms.

“That is some consolation,” the blonde co-ruler of close to half of humanity agreed calmly. “I take it that you second my motion, Primus.”

“I do,” Wei confirmed. “A little reluctantly, although I confess the prospect of ending another part of this war has its appeal.”

“Strong words from the woman who condemned the Clans to interdiction,” murmured Sun-Tzu.

The Magestrix gave the Chancellor a sour look. “You are out of order, Chancellor. Given the enormous expense of the war, in lives as well as money, if we can co-exist with the Clans then there is something to be said for it.”

“With respect, Madam Chair, your realm is a long way from the Clans,” Thomas Marik observed crisply. “I think that Lord Kurita would have a different view.”

“Which one?” asked Sun-Tzu.

“Either, I think.”

The Chancellor chuckled. “Perhaps so.”

“I, on the other hand, have a direct border,” said Mitchell Avellar quietly. “As much as the people of Rasalhague would blame me for it, there is advantage to my own realm in this proposal.”

“This is getting a bit out of hand,” Wei told them and looked at Emma.

“Does anyone wish to put the matter to debate,” the Magestrix asked. “Or shall we vote on the matter?”

“I call for an immediate vote.” Candace Liao shook her head. “This is a farce, let us dismiss the motion.”

Emma waited a moment and then nodded. “I hear no disagreement, so the vote is called. On the matter of offering Clan Wolf the opportunity to sign the Star League accords and receive full membership, who votes aye?”

Melissa raised her hand and Wei did the same. For a moment, the Primus thought that this was it but then she saw Mitchell Avellar’s hand in the air. Without anyone to vote for the Draconis Combine, there were only eight votes and three was…

“With my own vote,” the Magestrix said clearly, “That is four votes in favor.”

“What?” exclaimed Jeffrey Calderon.

“We are not discussing the Steel Vipers or Smoke Jaguars,” Emma told him. “If the Federated Commonwealth can offer Clan Nova Cat worlds within their borders, why not extend Star League membership to another Clan.”

“It still deadlocks the council,” Wei pointed out. “Under the accords, a new member’s admission requires a majority.”

“True, but a point we may wish to return to if the Clans prove too well entrenched to drive off,” the Magestrix pointed out.

Sun-Tzu cleared his throat. “Would you care to count the nay votes?”

Wei eyed him suspiciously, and she was not the only one.

“It is the proper formula that we all agreed on.”

“Nay votes, if you please,” Emma requested in her role as Council Chair.

Three hands went up: Thomas Marik’s, Jeffrey Calderon’s and Candace Liao’s. Sun-Tzu’s carefully manicured hands remained firmly on his desk though.

“Chancellor?” Emma asked.

“I abstain,” the man said with almost offensive cheer. “Both sides make good points, so I really cannot decide… I suppose four to three does decide the matter though. Hmm.”

Melissa’s hands were clenched so tightly that Wei thought she might draw blood. “That…”

“That is correct,” Emma agreed seriously. “By four votes to three, the motion passes. I will draft a document to that effect for signature.”

“I think,” Wei said quietly, “This will have a profound effect upon the war plans. Should we call on the Commanding General before we go further?”

“That might be premature, Primus.” Mitchell Avellar looked apologetic. “I imagine that this waives your wish to submit a motion.”

“It does.”

“And that means that you are the next on the schedule, Mitchell,” Emma agreed. “But Wei makes a good point that we should consider the military implications of our vote here.”

“I’m afraid my vote will also affect that,” he said apologetically. “I have received a message from the Diamond Sea Dominion requesting that I endorse them as a member of the Star League. And I therefore propose that we extend them the same invitation that we are sending to Clan Wolf.”

“Don’t you mean the Diamond Shark Dominion?” Wei asked as everyone else paused to process that.

The young president of the Outworlds Alliance shrugged his shoulders. “Apparently they changed the name to reflect that Clan Diamond Shark has formed a new Clan - Sea Fox.”

“They were holding a vote on whether to change their name,” she said in bemusement, “I do not recall any discussion of the Clan being divided.”

“I make no claims to understand their politics,” Mitchell admitted. “But this Dominion is apparently jointly ruled by both Clans. Something like the Federated Commonwealth, I suppose.”

“It sounds like almost the reverse,” Emma observed. “I will second Mitchell’s motion.”

“This would effectively end the fighting against the Clans,” Thomas Marik reminded them cautiously. “I do not think either branch of House Kurita would approve.”

“That is a terrible shame.” Melissa almost managed to sound sincere.

“The only Clans we would be open to attack are Clan Ghost Bear and whatever remains of Clan Smoke Jaguar,” agreed Jeffrey Calderon. “And the latter are relatively inaccessible.”

“Our last information suggests that the Clans that were fighting the Diamond Sharks are fighting for a share of what remains of the Smoke Jaguar Occupation Zone,” Wei told him. “No doubt they are depleted, but we would be fighting three Clans for that region of space and there is no knowing what they have in terms of reinforcements.”

“And our supply lines would go past the Ghost Bears anyway,” the scarred Marik observed. “So for any push there, we would have to fight the Ghost Bears anyway.” He shook his head. “And they were problematic to fight in the first place, that is why Task Force Ruby refocused towards Clan Smoke Jaguar. Of course, this assumes that the Sharks are admitted, which I oppose.”

“I also oppose the idea,” agreed Sun-Tzu urbanely. “The Shin Legion were committed to support our allies in the Draconis Combine, I would not betray Coordinator Kurita’s interests in such a way.”

There was a certain two-facedness to that, Wei thought. The younger of the two Liaos at the table had undoubtedly finessed Clan Wolf’s admission in order to leave the Federated Commonwealth deprived of their worlds and facing a dangerous border if relations within the Star League fell apart. He needed the Combine as a potential ally though.

“Does anyone wish further debate?” Emma asked.

No one spoke up.

“On the matter of offering the Diamond Sea Dominion the opportunity to sign the Star League accords and receive full membership, who votes aye?” Emma’s own hand was in the air.

Wei considered her encounter with Ellison Enders, when she visited the Outworlds Alliance. The man who had, when he withdrew, bargained for the infrastructure of worlds they had lost to be completed. Thought of the wounded soldiers of both sides that she had met on Camlann. And then she raised her own hand. “Let it end.”

Sun-Tzu’s eyes narrowed sharply as his aunt raised her hand in support of the motion. “Petty of you,” he told her.

“I do not owe you an explanation,” she said, “But it occurred to me just as the vote was called, that this prevents the Diamond Sharks and these Sea Foxes from attacking the Combine while it is engulfed in civil war. Franklin Kurita will not be happy, but he would be less so if they decided that they were free to retake Galedon, or perhaps advance further.”

“That is a good point,” Melissa agreed. And then the Archon raised her own hand. “The Draconis March would be exposed to attack if this happened. I will second the Primus’ words: let it end.”

With five votes, that was a clear majority. Jeffrey Calderon, Thomas Marik and Sun-Tzu Liao’s votes were counted for the record, but the matter was closed.

“And I do now insist on a recess,” Emma said firmly. “We can reconvene when Commanding-General Hasek-Davion is available to discuss our options going forwards, and I will have the invitations for both… nations ready to sign. I remind you that regardless of your votes, we all agreed that once a matter passes we are all bound by it.”

Calderon and Marik nodded with some grace but it was a long moment before the Chancellor acquiesced as well. “None of them border me, I suppose,” he declared, getting the last word.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #906 on: 28 May 2024, 23:28:36 »
Canube, Pesht
Diamond Sea Dominion
30 September 3059

The Grand Council Chamber was marble, slate and granite, with the only color coming from the white streaks in the marble desks, the red velvet of each khan’s throne and the banners suspended from the ceiling. There were forty thrones facing the dais that held the larger but empty seat of the ilKhan, the desk and seat of the loremaster - currently occupied by Dagmar Lahiri of the Star Adders - and a podium for outsiders called as witnesses.

Only sixteen banners hung from the rafters, Clan Sea Fox was not yet represented. When Ace’s image was projected, his viewpoint placed him in the rear row, on the bench that had once belonged to Clan Burrock, behind Bikendi Vewas who was the only physically present Khan of the Diamond Sea Dominion. Khan Sennet’s image sprang to life a moment later, beside her saKhan.

Angus Labov glanced to the side and indicated one of the empty desks on the back rows. “That used to be the Widowmaker’s place - and then that of Clan Zeerga.”

“I doubt any Clan will accept being assigned those seats unless there are nineteen Clans to seat,” Ace observed. “The only one more ill-omened would be that one.” He indicated the empty desk on the second row that had belonged once to the Not-Named.

By tradition, the allocation of the positions was based on the order in which the Pentagon worlds had been liberated - the four Clans sent to Eden had finished first and therefore were placed on the front row. Dagda, which had been an objective of the Burrocks, had been the last of the five worlds to be secured by the Clans.

Loremaster Lahiri struck his gavel against his desk, calling the meeting to order. “My khans,” the Star Adder called. “We are assumed under the martial code, in a time of war. Let us behave accordingly.” The choice of a Star Adder to serve as the Grand Council’s loremaster said much about who was seen as strongest among the Clans, at least within the homeworlds.

Perigard Zalman rose to his feet, the Steel Viper Khan’s image occasionally drifting out of clarity. He was being projected from somewhere in the deep periphery, not yet having returned to the homeworlds from his Clan’s defeat at the hands of the Federated Commonwealth. “We are at war, so I must therefore ask: why are there traitors amongst us?” He pointed an accusing finger at the two Nova Cats sat in the rank ahead of him. “Clan Nova Cat have turned their coats to serve one of the Scavenger Lords, and I move that they be annihilated for such treason!”

It seemed that every other Khan seemed to have something to say about that, so much that Angus Labov’s “Idiot,” was probably lost in the hubbub - the Steel Vipers were well across the hall from Clan Sea Fox’s back corner. Ace refrained from comment, instead touching one of the controls available to him from the terminal in front of his actual body, on Pesht.

“Order!” the Loremaster called out. “Order!” He waited until the Khans were silent and then consulted his desk. “Khan Enders has made the first request to speak on this issue.”

Labov chuckled. “Quick off the mark as usual?”

Ace stood and saw heads turn towards him. Natasha was one of the few faces he had encountered before although he recognised some of the others from his preparations. (Who the Smoke Jaguar Khans were, he had no idea.) “Setting aside for the moment whether or not Annihilation is a suitable course of action, who do you propose should carry it out? Your touman is in a fit state for such a Trial, quineg?”

Zalman looked as if he were about to grind his teeth flat. “We are not, but other Clans may wish to have the honor of purging the traitors?”

“Who?” asked Natasha Kerensky bluntly. “Clan Jade Falcon and my own Clan are nearest, but both are honorbound not to attack the Federated Commonwealth, so we cannot. The same for the Diamond Sharks and their new daughter Clan, so that leaves who? The other Clans in the Inner Sphere have no forces to spare for such a campaign. Do any of the homeworld Clans want to undertake it?”

“As rare as it is for our Clans to agree,” Khan Pryde added from his desk on the front row, “Khan Kerensky is correct. I have met - and fought - Victor Steiner-Davion. Whatever his ancestry’s flaws, he is an honorable warrior and would not abandon an ally. Whoever accepts such a charge would have to fight the Nova Cats and the Federated Commonwealth. Anyone seeking to annihilate or absorb the Nova Cats will have earned great glory if they succeed, but I would not commit my Clan to something so reckless even without the ceasefire.”

“A ceasefire with the honorless,” sneered Zalman. “You lack the courage, Pryde.” Then he looked at the Nova Cats again. “And you are very silent on the matter.”

“We speak when it matters,” Thadeus Nostra replied evenly. “Does any Clan second Khan Zalman’s proposal?”

There was a resounding silence and the Nova Cat spread his hands to indicate no more need be said.

“Without a second, the motion of annihilation is struck down without a vote,” Lahiri declared, sounding relieved. Ace could not blame him - only one Clan had ever been annihilated and so far as he knew, no one had even suggested it be done again in the over two centuries since. “Khan N’Buta, you have requested the floor next.”

Cassius N’Buta of Clan Star Adder rose to his feet from where he sat next to the Steel Viper bench. “When a Clan disgraces itself repeatedly, when it proves unable to stand for its leader’s words, when a Clan opens all of us to accusations of dishonor, it is my belief that that Clans should face absorption, so that those of it who can be salvaged can continue to contribute and those who cannot are no longer a burden upon future generations,” he said solemnly. “For these reasons, I call for the absorption of Clan Steel Viper.”

“What!” screamed Zalman. His saKhan, another unfamiliar face, simply bent over and rested his elbows on the table, burying his head beneath his forearms. That proved prescient as the senior Steel Viper leapt up and pointed an accusing finger at N’Buta. The arm was curiously doubled as it appeared in the display of the saKhan’s image, showing that had he not ducked the man would have been struck on the head by his superior. “How can you insult the Steel Vipers with such accusations?!”

N’Buta snorted. “Shall we start with your poor performance on Camlann? Your opportunist attack on the fringe worlds of the Federated Commonwealth is hardly credible given you were fighting garrisons barely adequate to deal with bandits. After that, your cowardly flight from Coventry where you abandoned Jade Falcon and Nova Cat warriors…” He paused and nodded towards Pryde, “The Nova Cats at least fought there and Clan Jade Falcon had the honor to support their brother Clan in the evacuation.” His gaze went back to Zalman, “Unlike you, Perigard. Shall we then consider your ill-conceived provocation of ComStar that left every other Clan in the Inner Sphere dealing with an interdiction.” The Star Adder leant forwards. “And then the debacle of being driven from the Inner Sphere in mere months, leaving more than half your touman killed or captured. Clan Steel Viper does not impress me!”

“So much for the serpent alliance,” Angus Labov murmured.

Ace nodded in understanding. The three clans with snake totems were traditionally allies, conveniently seated on one side of the hall and with few conflicts. That usually left them free to support each other, but Clan Star Adder’s overtures had already made it clear that they no longer found the Steel Vipers useful as a partner.

The khan of the Cloud Cobras met Zalman’s rage with cold indifference. “You appear to have forgotten my bloodhouse,” the gaunt Din Steiner said grimly. “If my distant kin were unworthy to repel you, that would be one thing, but House Steiner has proven themselves stronger than your Clan. When your weakness endangers all of us, it is time for it to be stamped out.”

“I take it that you second the motion, Khan Steiner?” asked Lahiri. This could not have come as a surprise to the Loremaster, given his Clan.

The Cloud Cobra nodded. “I second the motion to absorb Clan Steel Viper.”

Lahiri manipulated his controls. “A vote of aye approves the absorption, a vote of nay is against. I remind you that a vote over Absorption requires the unanimous support of every single Khan save those of the affected Clan.”

Zalman cast his vote against, followed by the other Steel Viper Khan, two icons of their Clan appearing in the nay column projected above the stage. But as he looked around, Khan after Khan voted in favor of absorption. Ace cast his own vote with Labov and two Sea Fox emblems appeared in the aye column, the first time that Clan Sea Fox’s iconography had been used since the Diamond Shark name had been adopted decades before.

At last, Lahiri confirmed what they could all see. “The vote stands at thirty-two in favor, two opposed. You may call for a Trial of Refusal…”

“Of course, I do!” shouted Zalman.

“...with bidding beginning at sixteen times your defensive strength,” the loremaster continued evenly. “Based on the last reports of your strength, that would be sixty-four galaxies but no Clan can commit such strength.”

“I bid eight galaxies for the right to represent the Clan’s decision,” Karianna Schmitt called out from in front of Barbara Sennet.

Ace said nothing, only senior Khans could make bids here, and neither Labov nor Sennet was going to offer a bid when the fighting would mostly take place in the homeworlds. The invading Clans also refrained, save for Theresa Delvillar bidding five galaxies and as many warships, to counter a bid of Clan Fire Mandrill’s full strength in both.

“Four galaxies and four warships,” Schmitt undercut the Ghost Bears with what was effectively numerical parity with the Steel Viper’s rumored strength.

N’Buta offered his own Clan’s bid, the first time he had offered one. “Three frontline and one garrison galaxy - not secondline, garrison,” he offered, looking across the room at Schmitt. “And four of our own warships.”

The tall blonde considered that and then shook her head reluctantly, “I believe that you have found cutdown,” she said at last. “I resign from the bidding.”

Labov nodded in agreement. “It should be enough to deal with the Steel Viper’s garrisons,” he told Ace. “But who knows where they will deploy their remaining forces from the Inner Sphere. If they have reached New Kent then this will be challenging for the Star Adders.”

He eyed the Star Adders and then shrugged. “I imagine that they planned for that.”

There were no further bids and Lahiri banished the voting totals. “Khan Zalman, Khan Mercer, your rights to attend the Grand Council are hereby suspended until the conclusion of your Trial of Refusal. Should you succeed then you will be reinstated with all associated rights and privileges.”

Zalman opened his mouth to protest but a moment later, the two Khans vanished as Lahiri cut off the signals to and from their location. Or more probably, from the Steel Viper offices in the Hall or wherever else they had been having their signals relayed through.

“Our first regular order of business, setting aside the priorities requested by Khan Zalman and Khan N’Buta, are the welcoming of Clan Sea Fox to our ranks,” the loremaster said drily. “It will also be necessary to discuss establishing a suitable enclave for them on Strana Mechty.”

There were groans all around the room.

“If Khan Labov and Khan Enders are willing, I suggest that we defer such allocations,” offered the young woman next to Natasha Kerensky.

“That would depend why and for how long you wish to defer it, Khan Kerensky,” Labov said cautiously.

Ace knew little of the woman save that she was one of Ulric Kerensky’s bloodname and that her personal name was Katya. She stood to address the room. “Given the problems caused by establishing enclaves for Clan Zeerga, we may have a more elegant solution. If Clan Steel Viper is absorbed, their enclaves will be available.”

“The point may indeed be moot,” agreed Khan Schmitt.

“Or, we could simply give them the Zeerga’s enclaves suggested,” Aletha Kabrinski cheerfully. “That would be simple.”

Natasha Kerensky snorted. “Those are a mess anyway. I propose that we repeal all the reassignment of enclaves to the Zeerga and if the Steel Vipers survive, we can roll back the division of the old Burrock enclaves and give them to the Sea Foxes. It would save us all a lot of trouble.”

Angus looked over at Ace, “That seems fair to me.”

Ace nodded to the Wolves. “Clan Sea Fox accepts the premise that we will receive the Strana Mechty enclave of the next Clan to lose their claim to one, or if none takes place before the end of the year, that Clan Burrock’s former enclaves will be assigned to us.”

“Do I hear any objection?” asked Lahiri. “Or shall we accept this by acclamation?”

There was a ripple of comments from the other Khans, which amounted to: ‘anything but another year of bickering over enclaves’.

“Motion passes,” the loremaster declared, striking the gavel. “Next we have…” He paused. “Khan Carrol, you request a priority matter?”

The khan in question sat next to Ace, separated by a narrow aisle. “Aff,” she confirmed.

“Rather sudden,” Lahiri grumbled. “You have the floor.”

“When a Clan fails repeatedly, opening us all to the consequences of their ineptitude,” the Fire Mandrill said, obviously aping N’Buta’s earlier remarks, “The time has come to remove them from our roster, salvage what can be made use of and remove the rest before it causes more problems. I name Clan Smoke Jaguar as cause for many of our recent problems and call for their absorption.”

One of the Smoke Jaguars rose to her feet. “If I was on Strana Mechty you would not dare utter those words!”

“You are a jumped up Star Captain, Jez Howell,” Carol replied scornfully. “Leo Showers was a disaster, Lincoln Osis a brute and Sarah Weaver blinded by her anger… but who even are you? You hold the khanship because the turmoil of the last year has killed everyone else elected to lead your Clan - more of them by infighting than by outside foes.”

“Cite your reasons,” Lahiri ordered, before the argument could go on.

“Operation Revival,” Carrol started, gesturing towards Ace. “So ill-planned that a freeborn warrior half the age of the then-ilKhan - had a better plan to present to his Khan before we even reached the Inner Sphere. The uttery stupidity on Rasalhague, a city ruined and the world rendered ungovernable by a refusal to read! Camlann - where the ilKhan offered no leadership and Clan Smoke Jaguar fell not even to the ComGuards but to the ragged remains of Rasalhague’s armed forces. And in the time we had to regroup from all this, Clan Smoke Jaguar was less interested in preparing to resume the invasion and more in gathering allies to turn on their fellow Clans - thus Leo Showers dying in an attempt to loot Diamond Shark factories, a man this Grand Council elected as ilKhan reduced to little more than a bandit. And to cap all that, it is their capital that the Inner Sphere found to attack, which makes it very clear whose security allowed us to be found.”

Carrol paused and shook her head. “Clan Steel Viper’s failures have already led to a vote to absorb them. How can we let the Smoke Jaguars, who have been even more of a disaster, escape the consequences.”

“Do I hear a second?” Lahiri asked once it was clear the Fire Mandrill Khan was done.

No less than four khans tried to speak as one. Natasha Kerensky began to laugh. The loremaster had to strike the gavel repeatedly to restore order. “As before,” he said at last. “The vote is called, if any Clan at all stands with the Smoke Jaguars then the motion will fail.”

“We may have a choice of enclaves,” Ace murmured to Angus as he voted for absorption. His khan started to laugh as well, needing two attempts to find the control to cast his own vote.

In a predictable repeat of the previous vote, the Smoke Jaguars were the only Clan to oppose their fate. Every other Clan was just done with them.

Carrol stood. “Let me cut the bidding for this short. Clan Fire Mandrill offers seven clusters, one from each of our Kindraa, and four of our warships. Does anyone believe they can win with less?”

Ace blinked. “That is ambitious,” he warned her. Given the Fire Mandrill’s reputation for poor cohesion, that was not a strong force - perhaps enough to clear the remaining forces in the Jaguars’ occupation zone but what about their remaining enclaves in the homeworlds?

“From you, that is a compliment, Khan Enders,” Carrol said with a pleased smile.

On the front row, Malavai Fletcher stared past the Jade Falcons at the Smoke Jaguars and then shook his head. “My Clan might be best placed to win this, but with such a small force…” He looked up the ranks of desks at Carrol. “I will not bid so low, lest I be the first to fail to enforce the Grand Council’s vote on Absorption.”

“Did you make a deal?” Aidan Pryde asked Jez Howell curiously.

“Do you think I am a damned Diamond Shark?” she spat.

He nodded and then looked back at the corner of the room where the Diamond Sharks and Sea Foxes sat. “My apologies to my esteemed fellow khans who may have felt maligned.”

No one seemed inclined to speak up and Lahiri formally awarded the right of absorption to Clan Fire Mandrill and dismissed the Smoke Jaguar khans. “The campaign may be prolonged,” he advised, “Given their presence in the Inner Sphere.”

“Five of the clusters are already on their way,” Carrol announced blandly. “I will not spoil the surprise of their expected arrival though.”

“When did you send them?” asked Ace.

“As soon as it was clear their Occupation Zone was vulnerable,” she admitted merrily. “If they had behaved well, we would have been reinforcements.”

“You expect to take their homeworld enclaves with just two clusters?” exclaimed Malavai Fletcher.

Carrol gave him an amused look. “Khan Fletcher, they have very little left in the way of enclaves. There have been a rush of Trials of Possession since Weaver got their remaining forces gutted over Huntress. We currently control their main genetic repository, even if we have no legal rights to the samples there.”

“...I should have made a bid,” the Hell’s Horses khan grumbled.

“What is left of their touman in the occupation force?” Khan Schmitt looked bemused. “There were eight galaxies of troops there before the Inner Sphere’s interdiction made gathering news difficult.”

“Much less than that,” Natasha said with a laugh. “How many of them did you tear apart, Enders?”

“I can only claim credit for a few of them personally… but at least two galaxies were defeated on Irece.”

“Plus the forces on Rasalhague, and then the bulk of a Galaxy on Alshain, courtesy of Khan Kabrinski.”

The Ghost Bear saKhan beamed at the compliment from Natasha Kerensky. “Communications are so poor in that region I doubt even Khan Howell is sure what forces are left,” she claimed.

Fletcher rubbed his face. “Mistakes have been made.”

“How did you not know how weak they were in the homeworlds?” asked Schmitt.

“How did you not know their occupation zone was wide open?” the Hell’s Horses khan riposted.

“The matter is closed,” Lahiri declared. “Now we… yes, Khan Lienet, you may have another priority. Shall I just push all regular business back to our next gathering?”

“Who are you trying to absorb?” Khan Kabrinski asked the Ice Hellion’s senior Khan. Given their weak showing against the Diamond Sharks, Ace thought that the Hellions were more likely to be absorbed than absorb another Clan.

Lienet gave her a dour look. “I make no proposal of absorption, nor annihilation, but Khan Zalman did have a valid point about the loyalties of Clan Nova Cat… and to that I must add Clan Wolf, Clan Diamond Shark and Clan Sea Fox. All four Clans now stand among our enemies and I move that they be abjured.”

“You’ve got a lot of nerve,” Natasha Kerensky said warningly.

“You have joined the false Star League, Khan Kerensky,” Lienet replied. “I do not doubt your martial skill, but you have broken the unity and that cannot be allowed.”

“She is not wrong,” admitted Lynn McKenna. “I second the call for abjuration.”

Khan Nostra rose solemnly to his feet. “Loremaster, my Clan’s decisions are not those of the other Clans named by Khan Lienet. I request that any vote on our fate be separated from theirs.”

“What is he up to?” Labov muttered.

Ace shrugged slightly, he knew little of the Nova Cats. He doubted they would have a better chance of winning it alone. “I am more concerned with our own vote.”

Lahiri struck the gavel for silence. “Khan Nostra’s request is in order and I grant it. Abjuration does not require a unanimous decision, only a simple majority. Vote aye to abjure or nay to oppose.”

In contrast to the previous votes, this time the issue was divisive. Not only were votes stacking up on both sides, some clans saw division with one Khan voting each way. In the end, the vote came as close as it could have with an even number of Khans: the majority was a razor sharp two votes.

If Khan Nostra was disappointed, he gave no sign of this. “There is no dishonor in serving the Star League,” he said calmly. “Nor in following a leader such as Victor Steiner-Davion. If you do not see that, then that is your failing. We do not challenge this outcome and will depart in peace. If - or when - you see your errors, perhaps we will meet once more.”

Both Khans bowed deeply towards the empty ilKhan’s throne and then vanished, cutting the channels relaying their holographic presence from their end.

Angus leant over. “If we lose, we can get you to the homeworlds in a month.”

Ace nodded. He wasn’t sure how long it would take for attacks to reach the Sea Fox’s holdings, but probably not that long. On the other hand, the Smoke Jaguars, Steel Vipers and the holdings of the other Clans would be a substantial distraction.

Lahiri stared at the bare desk for a moment. “Does anyone object to a single vote on the proposal to abjure Clan Wolf, Clan Diamond Shark and Clan Sea Fox?”

“Clan Sea Fox is willing to accept a single vote,” Angus declared.

“As is Clan Diamond Shark.”

Natasha looked back at them. “Alright, but if there is a trial of refusal, you stand with us as well?”

Ace leant forwards. “I fought against you once, Khan Kerensky. Fighting alongside you would be a welcome change.”

She laughed. “Alright, call the vote then.”

Lahiri cleared the votes and gestured wordlessly for the votes to be cast.

Without Clan Nova Cat, there were only twenty-eight Khans left in the room - the gaps in the seating evident. Some of the votes cast were the same - the Ice Hellions, Blood Spirits and Snow Ravens leading their way with votes to abjure the three Clans. The Fire Mandrills split again, although Ace heard Carrol and her saKhan turn to whispers that revealed that the two had switched positions, with Carrol preferring not to abjure the three Clans as she had the Nova Cats.

Naturally, the affected Clans formed a solid phalanx of six votes against, with the Goliath Scorpions backing Clan Wolf. The Coyote Khans also opposed the abjuration, though one had voted to send away the Nova Cats.

Whether or not that was the tipping point, the Ghost Bears also voted together after splitting on the previous vote. And as the final votes came in, the result was an exact balance with fourteen votes either way.

Lahiri stared at the results and then over at his Khans. N’Buta, for his part, glanced over at the Wolves and then up towards Ace. He grimaced and then shook his head.

“My khans,” the loremaster said slowly. “As loremaster, in the absence of an ilkhan, it is my duty to break ties. In this case, I vote nay.”

Lienet struck her desk. “Why?”

“I have just seen six khans depart this Council!” the Star Adder shouted back. “Six! If you want a Trial of Refusal, step forwards! You know Enders will kill another Khan without hesitation, and Kerensky is worse! Do you dare?!”

Lienet turned and looked at Ace.

“Do you dare?” he repeated the loremaster’s question.

“Neg,” she admitted heavily. “Neg.”

“Since Clan Nova Cat stands abjured, their enclaves on Strana Mechty are lost,” Lahiri said heavily. “As agreed earlier, these enclaves will be assigned to Clan Sea Fox. We have done enough injury to the Clans today, I hereby -”

Cassius N’Buta stood and made a gesture of dismissal towards his loremaster. “My trothkin,” he said, turning to address the bulk of the room. “I move that all regular business be deferred until tomorrow. However, I have one question to put to you - something to think of and perhaps to debate in our next meeting.”

The Star Adder khan spread his hands theatrically, “This Grand Council voted, more than ten years ago, to invade the Inner Sphere. That vote still stands, but three out of what may be only fourteen Clans in the near future will stand with the Inner Sphere in the future. How do you suggest that we address that?”

Ace rose to face N’Buta. “When the Grand Council voted to invade, what was its goal? What was the purpose, the victory that we sought?”

“We sought to restore the Star League,” the man told him.

He nodded. “Under the leadership of the Clans.”

“Of course.”

“I have had the time,” Ace told him, “To speak with Seekers sent by Clan Goliath Scorpion into the Inner Sphere. The Star League our ancestors fought for was very different from the Clans, so it was less to restore the old Star League and more to establish a new one?”

“...aff?”

“Rejoice,” Ace said sardonically. “We have succeeded. There is a new Star League - not as it was, but in a new form under the old ideals. How we interact with it is a new decision, but I suggest we announce this as a triumph. The warden’s cause ended in defeat, the crusader’s in victory and now both are equally obsolete. We have a new beginning and will have to develop new ideas.”

Everyone was staring at him.

“You see what we had to deal with,” Sennet observed in the silence.

“No wonder your clan split,” muttered Carrol. Which seemed entirely unfair, coming from a Fire Mandrill.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #907 on: 29 May 2024, 00:11:21 »
Well now, he's not wrong you know, my lads.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #908 on: 29 May 2024, 02:31:08 »
Glorious death is the romantic ideal of all Clan warriors, but when option is heads - killed by Natasha Kerensky, tails - killed by Ace Enders, khans get kind of prudent.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #909 on: 29 May 2024, 03:45:11 »
It's funny "Kerensky is worse" when Enders beat her too.. ;D

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #910 on: 29 May 2024, 04:02:35 »
Minor quibble: You´re using male pronouns for Dagmar Lahiri, but Dagmar is a German female first name.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #911 on: 29 May 2024, 08:16:05 »
Hahahahahahahaahhahahahahaha!!!!!

APPLAUSE!!!
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #912 on: 29 May 2024, 08:16:42 »
Minor quibble: You´re using male pronouns for Dagmar Lahiri, but Dagmar is a German female first name.
Thanks for the correction but Dagmar Lahiri is cited as male in FM: Crusader Clans.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2024, 08:38:47 by drakensis »

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #913 on: 29 May 2024, 08:56:28 »
That last paragraph killed me  :grin:
Jude Melancon lives!

Moriarty74

• Private
    • Dreams of 3025
« Reply #914 on: 29 May 2024, 10:24:22 »
While I think we won't see any more abjured or annihilated clans in the near future, I could see this turning more of the clans towards a conservative bent as no one will want to be seen as being the weakest and failing at the same time.  The abjuration will tie the Smoke Jaguars closer to the Federated Commonwealth for sure which will do interesting things to their culture and ways of doing things.  I think we'll see a weakening of clan naval forces overall as well as the Exodus road will see numerous clashes as the various clans are trying to move material, men, resources and such back and forth between the home worlds and the inner sphere as well as clans who are already consolidated taking the opportunity to raid and disrupt.  Hopefully the next update will include how the Kurita Civil War is going.  If the Black Dragons are losing badly enough I could see them going to stupid level 2.0 and begin small destructive raids on clan space, possibly even with nukes, to try to bring them down onto Franklin's forces.  Even while things calm down they get even wilder in other locations.
"Like spirited Eridani stallions chasing after fat, clumsy Luthien cows" Anonymous Rasalhague Journalist, 2749

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #915 on: 29 May 2024, 10:46:54 »
That last paragraph killed me  :grin:

The last two paragraphs did it for me.
-Frederick the Great

Vizzer

• Private
« Reply #916 on: 29 May 2024, 14:34:40 »
While I think we won't see any more abjured or annihilated clans in the near future, I could see this turning more of the clans towards a conservative bent as no one will want to be seen as being the weakest and failing at the same time.  The abjuration will tie the Smoke Jaguars closer to the Federated Commonwealth for sure which will do interesting things to their culture and ways of doing things.  I think we'll see a weakening of clan naval forces overall as well as the Exodus road will see numerous clashes as the various clans are trying to move material, men, resources and such back and forth between the home worlds and the inner sphere as well as clans who are already consolidated taking the opportunity to raid and disrupt.  Hopefully the next update will include how the Kurita Civil War is going.  If the Black Dragons are losing badly enough I could see them going to stupid level 2.0 and begin small destructive raids on clan space, possibly even with nukes, to try to bring them down onto Franklin's forces.  Even while things calm down they get even wilder in other locations.

Did you mix up the Nova Cats and the Smoke Jaguars?

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #917 on: 29 May 2024, 19:12:45 »
Interesting in that at least two factions are eying the vast expanse of the Exodus Road. I can see a Wild West development there, as clans and private interests surge into the area looking for opportunities and land.

The density of habitable / garden worlds might not be high, but possibly good enough to be worth the investment. And if you manage to find a semi-habitable world with lots of extractable germanium, that would be a game changer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #918 on: 29 May 2024, 19:35:54 »
The Belters/Rockjacks will find that kind of thing first, I think... ;)

Seydlitz

• Corporal
« Reply #919 on: 29 May 2024, 21:09:58 »
The Nova Cats you mean?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #920 on: 30 May 2024, 08:04:58 »
The Belters/Rockjacks will find that kind of thing first, I think... ;)

Canon has no room for them, that's why they got the wipeout when Clan Wolf took Earth in 3150.  It's best to forget the concept ever existed, and I say that as someone who's been playing with them since 2005 or so.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #921 on: 30 May 2024, 10:02:38 »
The problem is, Enders ain't wrong.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #922 on: 30 May 2024, 11:31:27 »
Wait, Wolves wiped out the Belters in canon? ???
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Vizzer

• Private
« Reply #923 on: 30 May 2024, 11:40:40 »
Looks like we may be seeing the start of a trade war, probably with added shooting, between the Jade Falcons and the Diamond Sea as both try to dominate the routes between the Inner Sphere and Clan Homeworlds

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #924 on: 30 May 2024, 15:08:32 »
With the Wolves in the Star League, the IS counter-offensive not officially over and a truce between the FedCom and the Falcons... does that mean that were the Wolves to attack the Falcons or the Bears, they'd be obligated to return any 'liberated' worlds to their respective prior owners?
Jude Melancon lives!

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #925 on: 31 May 2024, 00:43:23 »
Opalescent Reflections

Epilogue

Castle Davion, New Avalon
Crucis March, Federated Commonwealth
4 May 3066

“Everything has changed, and yet nothing has,” Melissa Steiner-Davion told Wei Rong.

The Primus nodded quietly. “For all those who mourn and, my apologies, those who will celebrate his passing… in the political sense it changes very little. You and your children have been carrying out most of his duties for years. But now you will be doing so without him, and that is a very personal wound.”

The coffin of Hanse Davion had been carried into the mausoleum beneath Castle Davion, to lie alongside his brother, his father and eight hundred years of Davions before them. Through the funeral, the black-clad Archon had been with her family but now, as her sons joined Hanse Davion’s few remaining peers as pallbearers, she had sought out Wei.

Melissa closed her eyes for a moment. “I had been considering this for a while, but seeing this… I think Candace had the right idea.”

Wei gave her a curious look. “I generally wouldn’t suggest making major life choices in a time of grief.”

“It isn’t a spur of the moment decision.”

“And which of Duchess Liao’s decisions do you intend to follow?”

“Abdication.” The word was barely a whisper, Melissa not wishing to be overheard. “I want your nomination next year to lead the Star League Council.”

Candace Allard-Liao had been elected as Chair of the Star League Council in 3059 during the aftermath of the Clan War. The stresses of integrating Clan ruled worlds, not to mention the Kuritan Civil War (the Black Dragon Society had been entirely convinced that a Liao chairwoman and Taurian commanding general would send SLDF after them, damn the cost, if they used weapons of mass destruction), had demanded so much of her time and taken her away from her realm so much that after two years her children had been in effective control of the Compact.

At the same time that Candace stepped down in favor of Mitchell Avellar, the duchess had announced her abdication in favor of Kai Allard-Liao, retiring to the Liao estates on the world that her dynasty had sprung from. So far as Wei knew, Candace had not returned to St Ives since. “I was under the impression that you are on better terms with your children.”

“Yes. But I don’t want to leave them inheriting the way I did, or like Hanse.” Melissa smiled quietly. “It is selfish of me, but this is what Hanse and I were working towards.”

Wei looked over at the doorway, where the eight men were emerging from the final resting places of First Princes. “Do give him some warning.”

“Is that an agreement?” the Archon asked.

“You’re not a poor choice, but I am just one vote. And who knows if the First Circuit may not replace me before then.”

“Now I know you are joking.”

Wei arched an eyebrow. “Given the nature of our conversation, do you think I am not tiring of office?” The ceremonies for completing the restoration of the solar shade had been a triumph, but everything since had felt anti-climatic. No one was pushing back at her any more and that was probably a bad sign.

“Do you have plans?” the older woman asked curiously.

Wei thought of the colony projects out in the deep periphery - worlds the Explorer Corps had found, far from the Clans and fresh starts for people unhappy with the new status quo that had followed the end of the Clan Invasion. They would need someone to steer them free from becoming some new outside threat - or at least to maintain ties between them and the Inner Sphere. “New frontiers, if I can convince the First Circuit to let me go.”

“Ah.” Melissa smiled sadly. “Good luck. I’ll see if I can corner another vote or two while so many people are here.”

Wei watched the Archon head off towards where the St Ives attendees were, no doubt planning to corner the duke once he rejoined his family, and turned away… only to almost run into a tall figure in jade green.

“Council Chair,” the man offered in mild apology for the near-collision, reaching out to steady her.

Wei accepted the helping hand. “Khan Pryde.” Not all those attending the funeral were from the Star League.

“I was hoping to speak to you and the Archon,” Aidan Pryde admitted. “But I see she has other business.”

“It might not be the best day,” she told him, releasing the Jade Falcon’s hand. “I’m not her gatekeeper though.”

“I would be satisfied to make an appointment for another day,” he observed. “I do have some idea what it is to lose… family, if not quite as you see it here.”

Wei looked up slightly at him and saw some understanding. “What do you wish to discuss?”

He looked out over the city that sprawled below Castle Davion. While the mausoleum entrance was lower than most of the ancient structure, it still had a magnificent view. “Our ceasefire with the Federated Commonwealth has lasted for six years, but it is close to its end. I am looking for peace treaty to replace it.”

“You see no reason for conquests in the Inner Sphere when you are overrunning more vulnerable periphery realms?” she asked challengingly.

“Essentially true.” Pryde did not blush at the accusation. “While Prince Victor will have other concerns here, he is not the only skilled commander in the Federated Commonwealth. If he and the Archon want war, we will stand ready. But if they want peace, then my Clan is ready for that as well.”

Wei frowned in thought. She had read reports of the attacks on the Chainelaine Isles and the more distant Hanseatic League and they made it clear that the Jade Falcons and their closely allied Snow Ravens hadn’t lost their edge over the years. If anything, Focht’s military analysts suggested they had improved their tactics and logistics, making them even more dangerous. Their numbers were harder to judge…

“I am aware that you directly commanded the forces that seized our enclaves in 3058,” she probed.

Pryde nodded. “I did. Your warriors fought courageously and your interdiction placed us at war. But they were easy to treat with honor, and if there was any atrocity committed then I do not know where.”

After a moment’s hesitation, Wei lowered her gaze in acceptance of his point. Whatever might be said of Clan Jade Falcons, they were not behaving like the Steel Vipers or Smoke Jaguars. “You may not find many more settled worlds to conquer in the deep periphery.”

“The real problem of building an empire is not raising it,” he replied. “We will face many challenges in holding onto it. The other Clans will see to that, even if the Star League does not.”

“We can open negotiations,” she allowed. “I will put the matter to the Star League Council.”

“That is all I ask.”

“You will have to make concessions,” she warned him.

“Some give and take is part of any bidding,” Aidan told the Primus. Politics involved so much repetition of things both parties knew… when he was younger he would have lacked the patience. On the other hand, he had learned to study his opponents. “I believe I can persuade the Clan Council to release bondsmen who have chosen not to adapt to our ways, if they will not simply return against us in fresh war gear.”

He almost missed the slight tightening around her eyes as that hit home. Wei Rong could be pushed to war, it had happened twice. But she preferred not to fight if she could secure her goals without. She counted the cost of fighting higher than she did the rewards.

There were those on the Clan Council who considered that weakness, but few of them were veterans of Camlann or of the batterings the Clan had suffered on Arc-Royal and a dozen other worlds. ComStar remained little understood, but those who had faced them knew there was much to respect. As for the young… they would learn, if they survived.

“I will take it to the Council,” she said again. “Peace has its price. Your people taught me that.”

Aidan bowed his head slightly. “And your people taught us that sometimes we should pay that price.” He straightened and decided that he would be best not pressing harder. “Perhaps we will find the peace that your order speaks of.”

“A quest we are all on,” Wei told him. “The peace of Blake upon you, Khan Pryde.”

“And you,” he told her as they parted ways, imagining Joanna’s likely response if she was wished such a thing. The old warrior remained unreconciled to being set to training new warriors, but the expansion of training to include recruits from Inner Sphere and Periphery world made her skills too useful there. Aidan had ordered that she only be given cadets from the homeworlds though. Joanna would not be able to win over recruited cadets the way Horse managed to.

No, there was no peace for Joanna. And there would be no peace for Aidan Pryde, but unlike his one-time teacher he could see why others wanted it. An ideal, that like any other could not be achieved but was worth striving for anyway.

The Khan left the gravel path outside the mausoleum, crossing the grass to take the same direction the Archon had. He wasn’t the only one moving around to find people outside their immediate groups - with the interment over, there was time for socializing among the attendees. And given their nature, that meant networking and other political matters.

Aidan was so focused on looking for the Archon or for one of the younger Steiner-Davions - he had sent messages of course, but a personal connection would make things go far more smoothly - that he almost missed another collision, this one at the height of his knees.

There were very few children at the funeral - mostly only those who lived on New Avalon and for whom the journey would be a minimal disruption to their educations, he thought - but there were exceptions and two toddlers who seemed barely old enough to walk bumbled through the legs of others on the grass and one seized Aidan’s knee to keep himself from falling.

The second child attempted the same, but latched onto Aidan’s high, polished boot instead and failed to find purchase with his small hands, slowly slouching forwards towards the grass, making confused noises that suggested he did not understand why it wasn’t working.

Aidan froze, staring down at the children. What was he supposed to do here? He hadn’t been around children this age since he was one. Had Diana waddled around like this? He held his hands out slightly, wondering if he should reach down to stabilize the toddler.

Fortunately, a pair of liveried women were only a few paces behind and one scooped up the falling child in a competent fashion, sparing Aidan any livery. The boy giggled happily once he was in familiar arms.

The second servant tried to do the same with the other, but the child was clinging enthusiastically to Aidan’s pants. “I’m sorry, sir,” she apologized. “Come on, Trent. Let go of the nice man’s leg.”

“Wanna!” the child wailed as the woman gently but firmly started to work his fingers loose. It was obviously a task that required more delicacy than strength, Aidan thought.

“Trent, behave!” A blonde woman in one of the black dresses that seemed de rigueur for many of the attendees pushed through the crowd. Her gaze was down at the child but then she panned her gaze up Aidan and paled. “Come here!”

Brushing the servant aside, she stepped close and placed one hand on Aidan’s chest before wrapping her other arm around the boy’s waist heaving him away. There was a wail of protest from the boy as the woman backed up, curling her arms defensively around him.

“I’m sorry, milady,” one of the servants apologized.

Calming herself with a slow, deliberate breath in and out, the woman handed the boy to the servant, stroking his hair calmingly before doing the same to the other child, whose face was twisting up as if he too was distressed. “It’s been too much for them, take them back to the nursery please.”

“There was no harm done,” Aidan offered mildly.

Her head snapped around to him and he wondered how he had angered the woman. “Harm is not always intentional, Khan Pryde. St-” She forced calm on herself. “I do not want my children around you.”

“Tyra,” a tall man moved in as the servants took the children away, and wrapped his arms around her from behind, in a gentle embrace. “It’s alright, the boys are fine, everyone is fine now.” The resemblance to banners showing the face of the late First Prince at various ages made it clear that this must be one of his sons, most likely the second one, pressing a brief kiss to the top of the woman’s head.

“My… apologies for my words,” she forced out.

Aidan thought about what he had heard of the man and then paired with the name he’d used. “No apology is needed. I have been told that I am similarly protective of my own daughter,” he offered. To the point Diana had fought for a place leading the Falcon Guards cluster in order to get out of his shadow. “Tyra… Miraborg?”

“Davion,” the redhead corrected. “Miraborg-Davion.”

“Stop talking for me, Peter.” But, for all Tyra’s short tone, she didn’t try to leave her partner’s arms.

So it was nothing personal - the Iron Jarl’s Daughter had never faced the Jade Falcons in battle, but at least one song was sung of her in the Wolves’ worlds. He had heard it when visiting the Jade Falcon’s oldest rival. Keeping one’s enemies close was not a wisdom lost on the Clans. “I know little of small children,” he allowed. “But I understand them to be delicate, and I take no offense at your caution for their care.”

“I do not fear you taking offense,” she told him in a warning tone.

“Good,” Aidan said with a smile. “Fear is a poor basis for peace.” He looked up at Peter Steiner-Davion. “I hope to speak with the Archon of an enduring peace between our nations, but today is clearly not the right day for that conversation. My condolences on your loss.”

“I’ll pass your sentiments on to the Archon,” Tyra’s husband replied, his arms still warm around her. “It may be Victor that you end up negotiating with.”

The Jade Falcon smiled, but there was a twist to his lips that suggested he was not entirely happy at the idea. “Perhaps he will refrain from kicking me in the groin this time.”

“You are the same Khan Pryde?” Tyra asked, recalling that story - one that had been much recited after their return to the Inner Sphere. Victor had confirmed that there was some truth to it during a conversation at her wedding. “I am surprised that you are alive, much less still Khan.”

That got a sigh from Pryde. “No one can expect to win every trial they fight,” he replied. “Some Clans may assume that any failure is a fatal weakness, but most of Clan Jade Falcon will admit that the ability to come back from a defeat should be respected.”

She thought back to the long struggle to win back worlds from the Clans, one still going on in places. “The way we did?”

The Jade Falcon nodded quietly. “Kindra Osis-Howell may curse the name of Tyra Miraborg, but others take your story as a warning for those who take the Inner Sphere lightly.”

“It doesn’t stop you taking bondsmen!”

“No, but it tells us that we have to win their loyalty. The price of not doing so is too high.”

Peter closed his arms around Tyra a little tighter. “I’ll pass on your message to my family.”

The Khan inclined his head in acceptance and made a wise retreat, his tall straight form moving back into the crowd of guests.

“The boys were holding him,” Tyra whispered. “He could have done anything.”

She felt her husband brush the top of her head with his lips. “He didn’t. Perhaps we should not have brought them. Let’s go back to our family.”

Tyra nodded in agreement and Peter withdrew her arms, then taking her hand. “You were right that we can’t protect them from everything, but we should have kept a closer eye on the twins.” She knew they were rambunctious and would probably get worse as they were more confident of their ability to walk and run, and combined with the large number of guests…

“A lesson learned without any harm done.” She got a caring smile from Peter. “I see Victor, we can tell him the message and then let it go.”

“You can see him? In this crowd?” Her brother-in-law wasn’t quite as short as popular legend have it, but he would certainly be hard to see here.

“Well, I see Omi and her security,” Peter corrected himself. “Where else would he be?”

Tyra yielded the point and followed him, fending off those offering condolences that were - like Pryde’s - an excuse to advance some agenda. They found Victor and Omi benefiting from a loose perimeter of Otomo, First Davion Guards and most importantly of aides filtering through those wishing to speak to them and moving on those who had.

Probably also doing the job of keeping track, Tyra thought. Victor had a fantastic memory for military matters but his ability to keep petitioners straight was merely average and he was always overburdened by demands for his attention… something that would only get worse now.

“They look good together,” she observed, seeing Omi quietly defuse and deflect a man with the topknot customary of Draconis March nobles. Despite her Kurita lineage, the man took Omi’s words with a smile and let himself be guided away, making room for Peter and Tyra to enter the perimeter.

“Enjoying being free to be seen together in public?” Peter asked irreverently.

Victor looked up slightly at his younger brother’s face before turning towards her. “Good to see you Tyra,” he offered. “How are you holding up?”

“I ran into Khan Pryde,” she admitted. “I suppose I shouldn’t ask you to kick him again.”

“The ceasefire’s up soon and I don’t think he wants a war,” Victor agreed. “I don’t think we do either, but both of us want to grind concessions out of the other side too.” He made a face. “I’m glad I don’t need to decide that alone.”

Omi stepped forwards and exchanged kisses with Tyra, before bowing slightly to Peter.

“Oi,” he protested. “Didn’t I support the two of you even before Dad gave you public blessing to court?”

“Betting Arthur thirty kroner that I’d abdicate to be with Omi isn’t support,” Victor complained. “You and Katherine would be slap-fighting over the throne if I did that, and she fights dirty.”

Tyra wasn’t sure that was entirely a joke, but she was deeply grateful that, six months before, Hanse had grumpily told Victor and Omi to ‘just kiss already’, during open court that was going out on live holovid. There had been a public furore (particularly since Victor had obediently done just that) but the open and clear support of the First Prince had kept it within reason.

And now that he was dead, it would be very hard to argue with him. Alive, Hanse Davion was a political leader who could be fallible occasionally. Dead, he was a revered legend.

“I had no opinion before I met you both,” Tyra admitted, “But for what it is worth, you have my support.”

“Thank you,” Victor said sincerely. “This is why you are my favorite sister-in-law.”

“Say that again once Arthur settles down,” she joked. But it was true, she did support Victor marrying Omi Kurita. Or anyone, really, just so long as he had heirs to stand between Tor, Trent and the throne. For all Peter’s occasional jest at his own qualifications to be First Prince, he had avoided court with her until her pregnancy was discovered. Tyra had been seriously tempted to return to the Flying Drakons the moment she was fit to fly, regardless of the politics of going into the Draconis Combine -

And how it hurt to know that after all her father’s struggles, the Free Rasalhague Republic was reduced to an Autonomous Prefecture of the Combine!

- but they had compromised with a posting as instructor at Armstrong Flight Academy, on Galax. Peter’s Third Davion Guards would be rotating there as garrison for the next two years, and after that… well. They would see.

“If Arthur marries someone who understands duty as you do, we will be triply blessed,” the First Prince told Tyra sincerely. And for a moment, she saw that he knew exactly what she feared for Tor and Trent.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #926 on: 31 May 2024, 00:43:38 »
Victor saw his sister-in-law’s cheeks color as she realized she’d been seen right through. He couldn’t blame her though. Thank goodness Peter had grown up during the long voyage to and from Huntress. The bullheadedness would have made his brother a liability, someone to be kept well away from the halls of power. The marriage to a Rasalhague icon would have been good, but the maturity that Tyra brought to the marriage was a real blessing. Her knee-jerk reaction of distrust to the Clans was manageable compared to many of the agendas rife in the royal court.

“Mother seems to be tied up with the St Ives delegation,” he noted, changing the subject. “Hopefully not trying for another reconciliation between Kai and Candace.”

“It would be good if that bridge was rebuilt,” Omi disagreed quietly.

“Yes, but it has to be done from both sides. Kai is still hurting at her manipulations, and I don’t think Candace is ready to face him either.”

“I’m not saying you’re wrong, Victor,” Peter said cautiously, “But there is also a risk that if they don’t communicate that it’ll be hard to break the habit.”

Victor saw his brother’s thumb run across the back of Tyra’s hand in a soothing gesture and realized that the conversation might cut closer than was wise to Tyra’s own reluctance to resume contact with her father. There had been letters from Tor Miraborg, still the ruler of Gunzburg under Clan Wolf’s suzerainty, since the wedding… but he didn’t know if Tyra had even read them. He did know there had been no replies - security overriding his sister-in-law’s privacy even if Victor preferred to pretend otherwise.

“She declined to come to the funeral,” he said, shifting angle. “But perhaps a wedding invitation will move her off Liao.”

“I didn’t think Kai was seeing anyone?” Peter admitted in surprise.

Omi shook her head. “We have not yet set a date,” she told the other couple, and then took Victor’s hand dismissively. “We planned to discuss it with our families this summer, but current events made any announcement… problematic.”

“Oh!” his younger brother exclaimed. “Well, congratulations, little brother.” He leant forwards slightly towards Omi “You could probably do better, you know.”

“I doubt that,” Omi told him with her usual calm confidence. “In any case, I must return to Irurzun shortly to inform my brother directly that I have accepted Victor’s proposal. It would not do for him to be surprised and some messages should not be sent via ComStar.”

Victor nodded in agreement. “Hopefully, we’ll have a calm few years for me to get used to the throne and to arrange a royal wedding.” Fortunately his mother hadn’t had her heart set on her offer to abdicate immediately and pass both thrones to him as one, he already felt like he was in over his head. Maybe if she offered again in five or ten years, but for now he had a great deal to learn.

“You know the wedding will be even larger than Mom and Dad’s,” Peter warned. “Although maybe you shouldn’t offer Omi the rest of the Capellan Confederation as a wedding gift if you want a quiet start to your reign.”

“I would prefer Luthien,” Victor’s fiancee informed him, “But some things are not possible.”

“Given that Dad only managed to deliver half his wedding gift, I’d like to make sure I’m offering something within my means.” He paused, “I was thinking Vecchio.”

All three looked at him in confusion. “What?” asked Peter.

“It’s a colony that dates back to the Star League,” Victor explained. “It was abandoned during the First Succession Wars, but ComStar has been working with us on restarting the terraforming, and Marquessa Vecchio would be able to share the processes with whoever she wishes… there are lost colonies in the Combine as well.”

Omi leant over and rested her cheek against his for a moment. “You dream large, my love.”

“It runs in the family.” He looked at Tyra. “There are other worlds we’re exploring the possibilities of - new frontiers for our people and space for Steiner-Davions to spread their wings if they don’t want to spend their time at court.”

“Omi’s right. You do dream large,” she told him.

One of the aides cleared his throat. “Your highness,” he warned and gave a discreet nod towards someone moving past their little cluster rather than trying to get into earshot.

Victor needed a moment to recognise them and then sighed. “Duty calls. I do need to speak to someone.”

“Would you like company?” offered Omi.

He hid a grimace. “I wouldn’t put you through that.”

She followed his gaze and then looked away. “It would be best not.”

“Who?” asked Peter, confused at the response.

Tyra shook her own head, having spotted who Victor meant. “I’ll tell you later. Would you like to come with us to the nursery, Omi? The boys are no doubt unhappy about being sent up there.”

“I would love that.”

Victor watched Omi leave with his family and spared a moment to think happily of the future before he set off after his target, accompanied by the bodyguards. He had to nod and say a few words to some of those he went past, but George Hasek was good enough to step in and block a particularly enthusiastic group of Lyran nobles from following.

Some sixth sense alerted the other man and he turned before Victor arrived, one hand casually near the hilts of peace-bonded swords. “SaKhan Steiner-Davion.”

“You know that’s not my title,” he complained, knowing it was said in jest and not wanting to rise to it.

Ace Enders had discreetly dressed down for the occasion, wearing the olive uniform of the Star Guards rather than his usual Sea Fox leathers. He was fully entitled to, the Star Guards were the only permanent formation of the SLDF, charged with the security of Unity City, and as Commanding General he was their titular colonel.

“It is the substance of the role,” the Clanner said deadpan and then shook his head. “I offered my condolences on my loss, but I failed to fully appreciate how much you will be measured against your father. I do not envy that.”

Victor looked away briefly. “I did rather drop you into your current duties ahead of schedule.” He had been supposed to continue to serve as Commanding General until a month from now, but with the sudden and final failing of his father’s health had changed that, with Enders taking over almost as soon as he was elected so that Victor could race back to New Avalon, arriving just barely in time to be there.

Enders shrugged his shoulders. “Life and death rarely go to schedule. But I think you want to discuss something more pressing than my own minor inconveniences.”

He looked the taller man in the eye. “I want you to dust off the plans for war with the Jade Falcons.”

“There is no dust on those plans,” Ace told the First Prince drily.

The man’s eyes narrowed, showing his usual intensity. “No one believes you are that unversed in vernacular.”

“You might be surprised,” he replied. “I do not think you seriously intend to launch a war for those worlds, at least not now.”

“Probably not,” Victor agreed. “And the Jade Falcons know that, but I want them focused on the implications if they are wrong.”

Ace sighed. “Politics.” How had his life become this? He was not being shot at any more, but that had been less stressful. Or may that was just a rose-tinted look at the past.

“It comes with the job.”

“I suppose so. Well, if the word is given, there will be at least one galaxy each from four different Clans headed for Twycross,” Ace said, loud enough to be heard. “The other member-states will send at least token forces, because of these implications of which you speak.”

Victor gave him a pained look. “Really?”

“You asked,” Ace told him sardonically. “There is a reason Khan Labov would rather I do not politic. Now, getting the word to be given by the Star League Council is up to you.”

“You are a menace,” the First Prince told him. “But that should also work.”

“Good.” Ace had not asked to be elected Commanding General, but he would do the work. That didn’t require him to do it in ways that made the Star League Council happy with their decisions. “Is there anything else I can help with?”

Victor considered. “Calm down the Cockpit? Franklin is not happy with the amount of fighting going on up there. It has the Buckminster District constantly concerned that it may spill over past the Ghost Bears.”

Ace chuckled at the idea. “The cure would be worse than the disease. Does the Coordinator want the younger warriors of every Clan that borders his realm to be fretting that they will not get a chance to win glory in battle, and looking for other targets?”

“No, but he is concerned that with the amount of forces clashing that the losers may be driven to look for other targets. Such as, for example…”

He considered the possibility and shook his head. “I do not think that is likely but I will contact the Khans of the Clans involved and remind them that we do not want to drive any of the factions invested there away. The entire point is to ensure that we have sufficient opponents.”

“That still does not make sense to me.” Victor was shaking his head as they walked down the gravel path, people pretending not to be trying to eavesdrop.

Ace grinned. “Loremaster Kalasa provided me with some of the Founder’s writings. I do not agree with everything he says, but his thoughts about warriors in times without war are plausible. The Clans constant trials are an outlet for that aggression, without which we might turn on the society that supports us. The Inner Sphere makes that harder, so the Dominion and Clan Wolf chose not to seize control of the Cockpit.”

“That may be a problem peculiar to the Clans.”

He laughed. “History suggests that you are wrong, Prince Victor.”

“We can learn from history, we can do better.”

“You are not the first person to suggest that to me,” Ace admitted. “I will tell you what I told them: theories are lovely to talk about, but practical results are what will convince me.” They were approaching the car park and he turned towards the First Prince. “I think your security would object to you accompanying me past here.”

“We did offer you accommodation within Castle Davion,” Victor reminded him.

“Yes.” Ace smiled slightly. “Did you know that, as an SLDF officer, I am entitled to a certain number of vacation days each year. That is not something most Clan warriors get to enjoy. It seems a shame to come all this way to New Avalon and not enjoy the… what is it called? The tourist experience.”

“Try not to get into trouble.” Victor offered his hand and Ace shook it. “Actually, maybe I should send some military police…”

Ace waved the idea off. “I have secured a native guide.”

Once Victor was headed back to the other guests, Ace opened the door of the groundcar and sat down in the driver’s seat.

“Since when was I a native of New Avalon?” Wei Rong asked from the back seat.

“I never said my guide was local,” he told her. “Everyone is native to somewhere. Are you sure your security detail will not start a panic when they can’t find you?”

“Mostly.” The primus had shed her formal robes and was wearing a black dress not unlike the other female mourners. “It’s worth reminding them now and then that they work for me, not the other way around. Besides, how can I be safer than with the Commanding General of the SLDF?”

Ace put the groundcar into gear and pulled out towards the gate. There was a cursory inspection by the guards, but they were far more concerned with making sure no one entered the castle’s perimeter than in keeping anyone from leaving. The identity cards for a Colonel in the SLDF and a ComStar Precentor were technically valid, and perhaps they weren’t recognised outside of their usual clothes.

That felt curiously liberating. Everyone having expectations of him... his progeny would be taking their trials of position soon and he had never met them - what did they even know about him? The legend that had grown up around him... but surely not Chris, the young man - boy, in retrospect - who had jumped into the treacherous waters of Clan Diamond Shark just to survive and wound up becoming something he never expected.

Maybe he should tell them.

The highway snaked down the mountainside towards the glittering faux-medieval towers of Avalon City. It was late in the day and a dropship taking off to the south marked the busy drop-port. Ace turned away from that, following the highway signs to Barrington.

“So what is special about our destination?” he asked, focused on the unfamiliar highway to help him set aside his earlier thoughts.

“Avalon City serves the government, students, military and tourists,” Wei told him. “Barrington is a little more sophisticated, it mostly serves the nobility who have estates north of the capital. There are good hotels for visitors, so we will fit in with all those here for the funeral. I booked a suite with one that has a five star restaurant, a spa and a reputation for discretion.”

“Discretion seems like something that wouldn’t generate a reputation.” He checked the automated navigation for the predicted travel time. “We should be getting there in just under two hours.”

“A good time to go to bed.”

Ace frowned. “I don’t usually sleep that early.”

There was a laugh from the woman behind him and he looked at the rear-view mirror, catching a glimpse of her thigh as she crossed one leg over the other. “Who said anything about sleep?”

“Ah.” Ace put his foot down slightly on the accelerator as they reached the main highway, the two of them speeding away from Castle Davion, leaving behind all the trappings of their duties and privileges. “And tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow,” Wei told him cheerily, “Is another day.”

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #927 on: 31 May 2024, 10:19:49 »
Sounds like things between the Clans and the Inner Sphere seem to be slogging down soon. But I know that something is going to happen that will reignite the fires of war. This is the Inner Sphere we're talking about.

DragonKhan55

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #928 on: 31 May 2024, 10:54:05 »
One of the BEST AU stories I've had the pleasure of reading. Thank you drakensis.

Hopefully this Epilogue doesn't mean the end of all the stories in the Weiverse/Enderverse.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #929 on: 31 May 2024, 11:37:34 »
One of the BEST AU stories I've had the pleasure of reading. Thank you drakensis.

Hopefully this Epilogue doesn't mean the end of all the stories in the Weiverse/Enderverse.

Those two have really been through enough already. Give them a break.

This story was awesome beyond words, Drakensis. Thank you very much, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
-Frederick the Great

Register