Author Topic: Protomech carriers?  (Read 2087 times)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Protomech carriers?
« on: 20 May 2023, 01:26:38 »
Is there an APC-like vehicle for carrying Protomechs? Or are they treated like 'Mechs and go everywhere under their own power?

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
Re: Protomech carriers?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2023, 01:50:19 »
Not that I'm aware of. There is, however, the magnetic clamp system created by The Society that allows an OmniMech to carry two of them (or one ultraheavy.) Never tried them out personally, though.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2023, 02:56:26 »
In my Hell's Horses unit, I use OmniMechs and QuadVees to cart Protos around in little makeshift Novas, and it works out pretty damn great. (Credit to Kojak for introducing me to this fun little tactic.)
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2023, 10:42:17 »
OmniMechs make great ProtoMech transports. With the release of RS3150 we have 9 different ProtoMechs with the Mechanical Clamp System (Cecerops 5, Centaur Z, Procyon Z, Roc Z, Gorgon 5, Minotaur Z, Minotaur P2, Hobgoblin, and Hobgoblin 2).

If the ProtoMech is 9 tons or less any Mech can carry up to 2 Protos (front CT and rear CT). If it's over 9 tons, Mechs can only carry a single Proto on the front CT. If the Mech doing the carrying is an Omni it doesn't take as much of a speed penalty for carrying a Proto. The speed penalty varies depending on how much tonnage of Protos is carried.

For OmniMechs, you subtract 3 tons from the tonnage of each ProtoMech (to a min of 0) before calculating the total tonnage of Protos carried. Up to 10% of the Mech's tonnage is no speed decrease. Then 10% to 25% is either -3MP or 50% decrease (round faster) to your walk and recalculate the run. You take which ever number gets your Mech faster. Over 25% of the Mech's tonnage is a 50% walk MP (round faster). For the 50% it would mean a 7/11 Mech becomes 4/6.

Depending on what ProtoMech(s) you want to carry you get some interesting (to me) choices for best transports, it ends up being OmniMechs that are fast for their tonnage. The Phantom, Ice Ferret, Viper, Black Lanner, Gargoyle/Naga/Naga II show up a bunch. And the Cephalus, Fire Moth, and Wulfen, are just so fast in general, they show up a bunch despite the speed reductions.

I even made a spreadsheet to track what are the best options & combos.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2023, 11:46:53 »
OmniMechs make great ProtoMech transports. With the release of RS3150 we have 9 different ProtoMechs with the Mechanical Clamp System (Cecerops 5, Centaur Z, Procyon Z, Roc Z, Gorgon 5, Minotaur Z, Minotaur P2, Hobgoblin, and Hobgoblin 2).

If the ProtoMech is 9 tons or less any Mech can carry up to 2 Protos (front CT and rear CT). If it's over 9 tons, Mechs can only carry a single Proto on the front CT. If the Mech doing the carrying is an Omni it doesn't take as much of a speed penalty for carrying a Proto. The speed penalty varies depending on how much tonnage of Protos is carried.

For OmniMechs, you subtract 3 tons from the tonnage of each ProtoMech (to a min of 0) before calculating the total tonnage of Protos carried. Up to 10% of the Mech's tonnage is no speed decrease. Then 10% to 25% is either -3MP or 50% decrease (round faster) to your walk and recalculate the run. You take which ever number gets your Mech faster. Over 25% of the Mech's tonnage is a 50% walk MP (round faster). For the 50% it would mean a 7/11 Mech becomes 4/6.

Depending on what ProtoMech(s) you want to carry you get some interesting (to me) choices for best transports, it ends up being OmniMechs that are fast for their tonnage. The Phantom, Ice Ferret, Viper, Black Lanner, Gargoyle/Naga/Naga II show up a bunch. And the Cephalus, Fire Moth, and Wulfen, are just so fast in general, they show up a bunch despite the speed reductions.

I even made a spreadsheet to track what are the best options & combos.
:thumbsup:
Thank you very much.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2023, 12:57:01 »

Now why am I getting the idea of making 3-ton Protomechs, and having a giant swarm of them being carried by a single 20-ton Omnimech that is designed for speed?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2023, 13:12:13 »
In my Hell's Horses unit, I use OmniMechs and QuadVees to cart Protos around in little makeshift Novas, and it works out pretty damn great. (Credit to Kojak for introducing me to this fun little tactic.)

Whoa that sounds like some awesome transformers level organization

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2023, 15:22:26 »
:thumbsup:
Thank you very much.
You're welcome.

I like this idea as a force organization tactic, the only problem for me is the two QV Omnis are average/slow for the tonnage. Don't get me wrong, it can still work and be effective, but to get the biggest benefit (compared to the ProtoMech's own speed) you have to be a faster OmniMech/QV. That's why I added the ProtoMech speeds to my spreadsheet. For example, the Boreas, 60 tons, 4/6 tracked, really only benefits a single Minotaur (3/5 or 3/5/5) and it can match speeds for the Cecerops (4/6) and Gorgon (4/6). And the Cecerops it can carry for free since that is only 3 tons. The Notos, 60 tons, 5/8 (6/9 on wheels) is a little better since it increases the speed for all the previously mentioned Protos, matches/exceeds the speed for the Roc, and on wheels can match the Centaur and Procyon.

But there's always the purpose of concealing/disguising your forces that strategy would always work well for. And of course for retrieving damaged units and taking them back home (as long as the clamps still work).

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2023, 20:24:13 »

It’s homebrewed, but I’ve used the cargo space on the Clan Cargo Saladin, Flatbed Trucks, and the like to deploy Society quad protomechs into combat.  My headcannon is that explosive bolts on their hold-down chains are blown and the quad protos just walk off into the same hex for 1MP.  The quad protos cannot remount until the scenario is over, and bipedal protomechs cannot be transported this way (too tall or they’d have to stand up under combat).
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2023, 21:00:35 »
..I use dropchutes and cargo support vehicles for my Proto-equivalents.  I think wiges can carry them as cargo too, but haven't looked into it.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2023, 22:40:14 »
Whoa that sounds like some awesome transformers level organization

Oh, it's great. I've really come to love running Doom Coursers coordinating Stars/Binaries of QuadVees carrying Protos with mag clamps. The Dark Age/ilClan era has been really great as a Hell's Horses Proto player.  :)
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2023, 22:51:11 »
Btw, really underrated Proto transport Omni? The Balius. I know everyone loves to hate on it, but once you learn how to use it correctly (run 7 and drop prone, then stand for free facing any direction and move 7-9 hexes for a +4 TMM every other turn), it's actually a pretty savage lil' Omni. Sure, it's a bit light on firepower, but y'know what helps? Carrying a couple of ProtoMechs. My go-to is the Minotaur Z -- you can fit two on a Balius for no MP loss.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2023, 06:34:04 »
Btw, really underrated Proto transport Omni? The Balius. I know everyone loves to hate on it, but once you learn how to use it correctly (run 7 and drop prone, then stand for free facing any direction and move 7-9 hexes for a +4 TMM every other turn), it's actually a pretty savage lil' Omni. Sure, it's a bit light on firepower, but y'know what helps? Carrying a couple of ProtoMechs. My go-to is the Minotaur Z -- you can fit two on a Balius for no MP loss.
The Balius (and the Linebacker) is a good choice for a single Minotaur. You might want to double-check your math though, a pair of Minotaur Z's is 12 tons of Protos ((9-3) + (9-3)) = (6 + 6) =12. That definitely puts it into the lost MP zone, but a single Minotaur is still in the 10% or less, no MP reduction area.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2023, 23:02:54 »
Is there an APC-like vehicle for carrying Protomechs? Or are they treated like 'Mechs and go everywhere under their own power?

My Protomech APC is an Arcadia Class Dropship :)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #14 on: 26 June 2023, 16:37:04 »
I always thought a WiGE or even a Small Craft would be good for this but unfortunately surface transport in BT does not have quick release options- you know like the systems on C-130, etc.  Even though this is described in Dying Time for the GDL moving on a train, AND we get MWDA fiction of mechs assaulting right off trains into prepared defenses.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #15 on: 26 June 2023, 19:31:44 »
The Balius (and the Linebacker) is a good choice for a single Minotaur. You might want to double-check your math though, a pair of Minotaur Z's is 12 tons of Protos ((9-3) + (9-3)) = (6 + 6) =12. That definitely puts it into the lost MP zone, but a single Minotaur is still in the 10% or less, no MP reduction area.

Weird, then I guess MegaMek has it wrong cuz I've been using that combo for a while now -- I tested it again just now to make sure I wasn't misremembering, but when I put two Minotaur Zs on a Balius, no MP loss.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #16 on: 27 June 2023, 08:50:11 »

Seconded >:D

Again though, as ilClan era progresses, do you think Proto's going to make a comeback ? Headhunters/behind the lines, Garrison ? Long Range Recon. (Besides the Bear and Ravens) Falcons, New Jags, and Wolves need to rebuild their Toumans. Is the stage being set for Hell's Horses to become "masters" of Protos (reading from Elements of Treason, and Star Captain Peter) ? And be on Par with the Ravens.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2023, 08:56:12 by JAMES_PRYDE »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 27 June 2023, 09:16:52 »
I would not expect any of the remaining Clans to get back into Protos, unfortunately.  The Falcons, Jags, and combined Wolves are not short war material- nor do they have a washouts that they had not mechs for due to having the war material.  All 3 are short in the personnel department, which means push the Mechs and BA at the expense of vehicles with more than 2 crew and infantry points as they bring the most combat power for the purposes.

It is not the recent Elements story that is a big deal, it was the Horse cluster story set in the later Jihad that we had in Shrapnel that is better for the Proto use.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 27 June 2023, 09:30:10 »
It is not the recent Elements story that is a big deal, it was the Horse cluster story set in the later Jihad that we had in Shrapnel that is better for the Proto use.

I loved that story, really evolved the Proto fiction, and sets the stage for any future stuff

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 27 June 2023, 13:26:37 »
I wouldn't be surprised if the Horses &/or Ravens were used to keep protos alive in fiction/game.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #20 on: 27 June 2023, 19:18:25 »

To second this, the Arcadia-class was specifically designed for Protomechs. Admittedly, its BV is pretty high for gaming purposes.
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 27 June 2023, 23:00:52 »
It is also, IIRC, a pretty decent gunship
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 28 June 2023, 11:54:05 »
APC  =   Arcadia Protomech Carrier

And yeah, its a beast of an gunship too.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 01 July 2023, 09:28:01 »
Aside from piggybacking on Omnimech my or quadvee, there no ground vehicle dedicated to transporting them.

There would have to be a variant of an existing combat vehicle that could transports them like battle armor bays and such to be able to do something close to that? Maybe like a cargo Mecha some kind like the Uni CargoMech.  ProtoMech transports could be used for other u it's as oversized Clan BattleMech carrier.

It depends when too, really the only thing that's going to happen is that it'll be a retro on of having the vehicle added in the background then the Clans just didn't really build a lot of them because well they weren't really utilizing ProtoMechs, due to the associated issues of fluff productions issues and short life span of the pilots. 

I really do think their useful depending on situation, for the slower and heavier models having a Combat Vehicle Transport would be practical transportation means.  Smaller one can just keep pace with existing forces since speeds are comparable.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 01 July 2023, 10:53:33 »
What about Skadi's (VTOL) ? Modified with clamp system, first wave goes in, and in the middle Skad's flood in and drop Proto's

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 11 July 2023, 08:37:45 »

Could an Arcadia Class be used to make a strafing run, once engagement starts and do a hot drop of Proto's ?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 11 July 2023, 09:29:17 »
I know DS could back in the AT days, so I assume it can in TW rules.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: 11 July 2023, 09:54:42 »
I know DS could back in the AT days, so I assume it can in TW rules.
General original poster's question is there a ground vehicle for protomechs to be transported.   As far I can tell, there aren't any.  Unless they have a Prime Mover (I know Clans use them, see Roar of Honor novel). 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 11 July 2023, 10:10:21 »
General original poster's question is there a ground vehicle for protomechs to be transported.   As far I can tell, there aren't any.  Unless they have a Prime Mover (I know Clans use them, see Roar of Honor novel).

No, Cargo Vees is it, nothing w/ a Proto Bay to my knowledge, hence my original answer saying I only move them in an Arcadia :)

Register