Author Topic: The Urban Brawler (aka: Not-A-Plushie Urbie)  (Read 2024 times)

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
The Urban Brawler (aka: Not-A-Plushie Urbie)
« on: 30 May 2023, 22:17:38 »
Developed by the Ghost Bears in the wake of the formation of the ilClan Trials, the Urban Brawler is an interesting throwback to the earliest days of Battle Armor development, along with a surprising look into some of the changes that were done during the process of designing the classic 'Elemental'. Such as, the almost uncanny resemblance to the humble UrbanMech.

Being as the armor was created by a team of native Rasalhagians and that it was the company's first foray into Battle Armor - although it should be noted that they did have a line of quite successful light industrial exoskeletons going back well into the 28th century - the Ghost Bears were hesitant at allowing them complete access to data on more modern, cutting edge, technologies. Weapons, yes, due to being fitted into hardpoints, but not for the suits themselves. In some ways, this was a sort of test of cunning and creativity. What the Bears didn't expect, was for the team to work backwards through the memory cores to the very creation of Clan Battle Armor. After all, the original armors were based upon sealed deepwater aquatic exoskeletons, and the company was very well acquainted with those.

What surprised them was how bulked up the original designs were, using simplified cylindrical shaping for ease of armor production, or how the earliest armored prototypes used a kind of modular mounting around the legs, waist, and chest regions as different alloy types and shapes were worked on. While in most cases, this was due to modifcations to the aquatic pressure suit, the Rasalhagian had the benefit of 200+ years of minor refinements by the Clans, plus those innovations developed by the Inner Sphere or even the Periphery states. Their new design deliberately incorporates modular armor plates not as mere add-ons, but as functional integral pieces that allow the wearer to quickly exit or enter the suit in less than seventy percent of the time of the standard Elemental design, along with being almost absurdly easy to repair as whole sections can be quickly removed and replaced in their entirety. Another point towards the design that, at least on paper, made it appealing to Dominion leaders, was avoiding the more costly advanced medical - and increasingly rare Hargel - components found in classic top of the line Clan Battle Armor, for one based upon the decades old Kobold and sharing a 80% parts commonality with said older design.

The downside to deliberately using a more primitive appearing, and somewhat bulky design, is that it turned from being the towering, nearly alien loooking, and highly intimidating, Elemental, into something nearly approaching a comical 'fat suit'.  To the engineer's credit, they were so focused on the functional, that they nearly ignored the form. It wasn't until they revealed their first prototypes to test pilots that their first true challenge appeared - Ghost Bear Elementals outright refused to put one on due to feeling insulted at a near bone deep level by the 'chubby' Battle Armor. It took three Trials of Grievance and a direct order from their saKhan to finally get Warriors to don the suits, albeit grumbling lowly the entire time. In the opposite, native Rasalhagians chosen to test it, did little more than make a few playful mocking commentaries about 'waddling trash compacters', before putting the suits through various field tests, all to glowing reviews. In their view, who cared about how it looked, so long as it was effective and deadly. The more hardliner Bear traditionalists, having expected another semi-Totem like the Rogue Bear, were vastly cooler in their reports. Going so far as to refuse to even name it, thus leaving the decision up to the native engineers and freeborn test crews. Shrugging at this - truly, the R&D staff were about as blissfully unaware of social cues as could be tolerable - the staff did the ultimate faux pas and named it after the BattleMech it most closely resembled. The Urban Brawler was born.

Regardless of one's opinion as to its appearance, once in use, the design is quite deadly to virtually all opposition. A point of them can wipe out an entire infantry platoon in seconds with barely scratched paint, only to turn to the task of slagging down a medium tank nearly as rapidly. This capability can be laid squarely upon the choice of armaments for the design, which is to forego the usual missile launchers and to focus on both a heavy ballistic and laser loadout. A virtually unmodified Bearhunter autocannon - quite literally so, the entire mount can be pulled from the unit with only five lock-down bolts removed, revealing the normal handgrips still present - is placed on the right pauldron, while a compact pulse laser is placed on it's opposite. Between them, at the back of the unit, is a T-bar shaped sensor cluster that can raise up slightly and act as a wide-angle spotlight/searchlight, although there is alternative sub-model variant that appears more like a small periscope/antenna aerial combination. Moving down to the arms showcases where the design crew went a little overboard with the room available. Rather than attempt to mount a large weapon system, they used the internal space to fit in triple-digit battle claws and integrated anti-personnel weapon ports at the core of these, which can easily be swapped between ballistic or laser weapons, usually pulse types or Gauss SMGs, although Rasalhagians swear by auto-shotguns that are available. Additionally, the Battle Armor comes with a quite generous amount of open spaces along the arms and legs, especially behind the raised armored kneepads; allowing clever users to carry all manner of tools, devices, or the usual explosive 'toys'. While the overall range brackets are rather sorely lacking in said range, within what the Urban Brawler considers it's effective range, it can chew through armor in a way very very few units can. As one mechwarrior of Hell's Horses put it after tangling with several Stars of them, "They were like the unholy fusion of a rotary autocannon, and a swarm of piranha". Unfortunately, this lack of range makes them very much a niche unit, as they are practically useless on an open battlefield. However, within heavily built-up terrain, or even steep walled valleys/canyons, the Urban Brawler truly comes into its own.

EDIT: MegaMekLabs for some reason, when showing stats, has the Bearhunter AC listed as a Machine Gun. The stats below are correct for the mass used, as it is a Bearhunter AC that is mounted.
Code: [Select]
Urban Brawler BattleArmor
Type: Urban Brawler
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown

Tech Base: Mixed (Advanced)
Chassis Type:  Biped
Weight Class: Medium
Maximum Weight: 1,000 kg
Battle Value: 247
Swarm/Leg Attack/Mechanized/AP: Yes/Yes/Yes/No
</p>

Equipment                                     Slots      Mass
Chassis:                                               175 kg
Motive System:                                               
     Ground MP:          2                              40 kg
     Jump MP:            3                             150 kg
Manipulators:                                                 
    Left Arm:            Battle Claw                    15 kg
    Right Arm:           Battle Claw                    15 kg
Armor:                   Stealth (Basic)        3      270 kg
    Armor Value:         10 (Trooper)                         

Slots           
Weapons and Equipment             Location (Capacity)   Mass 
Micro Pulse Laser                   Body       1       160 kg
Machine Gun                         Body       2       150 kg
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount       Right Arm     1        5 kg 
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount       Left Arm     1        5 kg 
Searchlight                         Body       1        5 kg 
Mission Equipment Storage (10 kg) Right Arm     1       10 kg 
« Last Edit: 04 June 2023, 17:16:13 by AngryButler with a KNIFE! »
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: The Urban Brawler (aka: Not-A-Plushie Urbie)
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2023, 08:21:08 »
Why the massive ammo load for the MG instead of a 10th point of armor?

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2023, 23:14:14 »
The 10kg of mission equipment? That's way too little mass for another point of armor.  ???

Also, its supposed to be a Bearhunter AC. For some reason MegaMekLabs (or at least the version I have), after moving it to the clipboard so I can paste it on the forum, changes it to read as an Mgun. Its not, its a Bearhunter.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2023, 23:15:47 by AngryButler with a KNIFE! »

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2023, 04:58:47 »
Ah, OK. I thougt you had added 50kg of ammo to the MG for some reason, thus my confusion.

It would arguably be better to strip out some stuff to get 10 armor, but YMMV. :)

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2023, 07:42:10 »
I like the concept.  It reminds me of this one, but scaled down.  In particular, I don't think there's anything wrong with battle armor that specializes in close assault---that's the role they are uniquely effective at.  Open field combat against a prepared opponent with more maneuverability and AE weapons is just suicidal.

I'd also second the comment about 10 armor.  To many weapons deal 2, 5, or 10 damage, so making the total damage to destruction prime is more beneficial than it might appear.  Of course, to do that you would need to take mass from something else which offers difficult choices.

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2023, 17:21:03 »
I like the concept.  It reminds me of this one, but scaled down.  In particular, I don't think there's anything wrong with battle armor that specializes in close assault---that's the role they are uniquely effective at.  Open field combat against a prepared opponent with more maneuverability and AE weapons is just suicidal.

I'd also second the comment about 10 armor.  To many weapons deal 2, 5, or 10 damage, so making the total damage to destruction prime is more beneficial than it might appear.  Of course, to do that you would need to take mass from something else which offers difficult choices.
Normally, I'd agreed about the armor. If that is, I was using non-Stealth. To a lesser degree, if this was more for open field combat, but again, that's to a lower degree. Stealth on a fairly high mobility BA, at least in my experience, means I usually manage to get my opponent to whiff on at least one to-hit roll. I'll generally take having 3-10 potential dmg completely miss me, then be able to absorb it. If this was Improved Stealth, I'd actually be willing to drop this down to IS standards of only having 8 armor.

But, as said, that's just with stealth. If no stealth? I'd be max armoring this everytime.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2023, 17:38:18 »
Max armor and stealth are the ideal combination, of course.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2023, 09:34:51 »
Someone made a fan art of an Urbie BA. Enjoy!
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2023, 18:16:38 »
It feels wrong with arms, but looks good anyway!   :thumbsup:

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2023, 01:41:23 »
*blink*

*blink blink*

How da f.....

That is almost LITERALLY what I imagined the suit to be. I mean, I was screwing around with MWO artwork for the K9 variant, and took two classic elemental arms and slapped them on it and went 'wait a sec', and then started up MegaMekLabs.

But that...that is scarily accurate to what I was thinking of. The only difference in my head is the searchlight isn't in the torso proper, but mounted on the T-bar behind the head (aka, the flashing police lights of the K9).

Seriously. How da f......?!?!??

Register