Author Topic: A Wolf's Dragoons Question  (Read 3832 times)

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
A Wolf's Dragoons Question
« on: 22 June 2023, 00:52:30 »
So this has been bothering me for a while now and I haven't encountered any reference to it in my re-readings and wiki searches, hence asking those who are probably more knowledgeable than I.

My question: was there a battle that the Dragoons fought, probably in the 3020s or thereabout, where the Black Widow Company (or perhaps Natasha Kerensky and a few others, I'm uncertain) was held in secret reserve in OmniMechs in case the battle went bad and the Dragoons needed to extricate under fire?

I seem to recall reading that a while ago, but for the life of me cannot remember where it was. It may also be that I hallucinated that scenario at some point and forgot about it long enough to think it's an actual memory. Weirder things have happened, after all. Any assistance in allaying my mental gymnastics would be much appreciated.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: A Wolf's Dragoons Question
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2023, 01:04:57 »
Not in canon. The Dragoons didn't bring any ClanTech with them, as they thought the Inner Sphere would be stuck at Star League tech levels. When they got to the Inner Sphere, they discovered that even that assumption was too generous! It wasn't until their second (IIRC) supply run back to Clan space that they even got the technical data to manufacture machines like the Dire Wolf.

That said, there is still some question in my mind where they got the Dire Wolfs to give to the scions of the Great Houses. Perhaps they did have some stashed away the entire time.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2023, 02:38:49 »
Not in canon. The Dragoons didn't bring any ClanTech with them, as they thought the Inner Sphere would be stuck at Star League tech levels. When they got to the Inner Sphere, they discovered that even that assumption was too generous! It wasn't until their second (IIRC) supply run back to Clan space that they even got the technical data to manufacture machines like the Dire Wolf.

That said, there is still some question in my mind where they got the Dire Wolfs to give to the scions of the Great Houses. Perhaps they did have some stashed away the entire time.

Didn't they start production of small quantities of Clan tech after they were granted Outreach? I think they also build something aking to iron wombs on Outreach to create their own sibkos. Or came the clan produc tion later? For example they build a Dragoon version of the Gallowglas that incorporates clan tech so I would assume they build the basics for that earlier.

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2023, 03:27:44 »
And they brought a few Behemoths.
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2023, 04:01:45 »
They brought some designs that were extinct in the IS (Mercury) and at least all-new one (Annihilator) that raised eyebrows... but when five regiments of cool stuff with highly trained personnel plus aerospace assets and an entire mobile manufacturing space station offer their services in the lostech era, you just don't ask too many questions.

I don't recall any instance where the Black Widow Company was held in reserve. I don't know if Natasha Kerensky even understood the concept.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2023, 05:38:22 »
As to the original poster's question. I have no recollection of a scene like that.

As to the Dragoons and their Clan tech....

I don't have a source (maybe it was in those novels depicting Op. Revival, Phelan, the meeting on Outreach where Jaime Wolf revealed the Dragoons' origins). But I thought I remember reading that on their last "resupply run" to Clan space, the Clan Wolf Khan at the time gave them the necessary information needed to build some Clan tech and Clan machines. This was also the resupply run where they were essentially told/ordered to defend the Inner Sphere.

In FM: Mercs (original, not revised), page 97 it says the Dragoons have recently begun to manufacture Clan standard technology. "As a result most Dragoon front-line forces have been upgraded to Clan standard" and what's left has upgraded Inner Sphere technology.

They seem to be able to build all the Clan goodies, OmniMechs and OmniFighters, build Elemental armor, and breed Trueborns, including phenotypes like Elemental phenotype individuals. In the novel depicting the Dragoon Civil War we meeting at least one Dragoon-bred Elemental if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2023, 05:42:34 by Alan Grant »

BaldDen

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2023, 07:30:28 »
IMHO WD retool its assemble lines of Blackwell Corp. after beginning of Invasion. It might manufacture in small numbers clan omnis and clan-spec weapons.
In "Wolf Pack" directly says, what Blackwell's factory "on the other side of the mountain" made omnimechs.

to Alan

Unlikely, what WD have pure elemental phenotype. May be is descendants of freeborn elementals, such as Anton Shadd.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2023, 08:08:52 »
I don't have the novel Wolf Pack anymore to look, but I recall at least one scene with Elson Novacat, where he looks to one of his new comrades and has thoughts on the Dragoon-bred Elemental he's looking at. I think it's in the aftermath of a training exercise on Outreach, early in the book. Basically, if my memory is correct, he think the Dragoon-bred Elementals look different than Clan bred Elementals. Maybe someone who has the book could look into this and confirm if my memory is correct and whether it spells out whether they are talking about Trueborn Elementals or something else?

The Dragoons in turn, ultimately attach an Elemental Battalion or Regiment to each of their BattleMech regiments, and have an independent one as part of support command. This starts in the 3050s but is fully realized by FM: Mercs Revised (3066).

In the same novel, when they bring Dechan Frasier back to Outreach (he's been living in the Combine for years), Dechan notes that the Dragoons have changed a lot, in particular he's struck by the sight of a pilot phenotype individual. Though this could easily be a former Clanner, I remember it being more of a side comment and not having a lot of clarity.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2023, 08:21:07 by Alan Grant »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2023, 12:07:57 »
I'm not seeing anything about Elson saying the Dragoon Elementals looking different. He does have a thought about how a member of his point is a freeborn Spheroid, but she is still the size of a "small" Elemental. But I now recall that Maeve Wolf is revealed to be a sex-swapped clone of Jaime Wolf, and she's presented as a grown - if young - woman. So the Dragoons had iron wombs by about the late 3030s or so. This fits with Outreach being gifted to the unit in 3030.

I should go ahead and just re-read that book. Charrette did a good job on it.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

BaldDen

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2023, 13:00:47 »
Alan, ColBosch
Its happened in journey for Warships, before death of MacKenzie Wolf
Quote from: Wolf Pack ch.16
The sigh of the lift doors and then the sound of footfalls behind him announced a visitor to the bridge. Elson recognized the step as Captain Edelstein's. The man was of a Dragoon sibko, one of those stressing the size and physical skills necessary for Elementals. He reminded Elson a little of Pietr Shadd, though he lacked the insufferable man's grace. Though Edelstein had a touch of the Elemental bloodline, his lumbering walk marked him as inferior to one of pure Elemental lineage.

IMHO Ironwomb program starts in early-or-mid-3030s, Brian Cameron is 18-year old in 3053.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2023, 13:20:05 by BaldDen »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2023, 13:26:41 »

DireWolf is one of the Omnimechs that began production in the "outback" at the mothballed factory the Dragoons restarted after the 4th SW.

I don't believe the year has ever been confirmed but it was obviously post 3030 & pre-3050

My guess is the answer is "Late-3040's"

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

BaldDen

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2023, 14:00:36 »
My guess is the answer is "Late-3040's"

IMHO Omnimech production started in 3050. Before that moment, there was no point in production.

ROM and House intelligence services would have detected it. And the massacre on Misery would seem insignificant.
PS Unless, of course, the WD has heard about the beginning of Operation Revival
« Last Edit: 22 June 2023, 14:12:18 by BaldDen »

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2023, 14:13:52 »
Wolf Pack explicitly states that they have a lot of non-Elementals in their BattleArmour units, and they modify Elemental suits so smaller people can wear them easily.  IIRC the suit used in the attempt to kill Jaime Wolf was modified in that way
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

BaldDen

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2023, 14:25:50 »
Wolf Pack explicitly states that they have a lot of non-Elementals in their BattleArmour units, and they modify Elemental suits so smaller people can wear them easily.  IIRC the suit used in the attempt to kill Jaime Wolf was modified in that way
This suit was modified by not Dragoons and it happened already in 3054, when many Elemental suits appeared on the black market.

Quote from: Wolf Pack ch.15
Most of the modification components in the assassin's suit were of Combine manufacture, making House Kurita's realm an obvious choice as a starting place for the search.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2023, 14:51:58 by BaldDen »

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2023, 14:56:36 »
As to the original poster's question. I have no recollection of a scene like that.

Okay, I'll take that as the proof I need that I either misread something while tired, or had an elaborate dreamlike fugue state that created interesting scenarios. Thanks!
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2023, 15:32:01 »

IMHO Omnimech production started in 3050. Before that moment, there was no point in production.

ROM and House intelligence services would have detected it. And the massacre on Misery would seem insignificant.

No one was allowed on that continent but Dragoons.

The Dragoons controlled the airspace & space traffic in their home system.

They have remarks about not allowing ComStar people around, though how that meshes with ComStar operating the Outreach HPG would be problematic.

The facilities were underground.

The point of starting production would be to make sure there were no flaws in the systems and to start stockpiling equipment for the coming change-over.  Making Clan spec weapons would be more likely to have started earlier and work with converting their IS builds so they could have things like Atlas C, Shadow Hawk C, etc.  The fluff for the LFE is also that they could only produce so many Clan spec XLs and they wanted something to substitute for them on other designs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BaldDen

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2023, 16:55:10 »

They have remarks about not allowing ComStar people around, though how that meshes with ComStar operating the Outreach HPG would be problematic.

The point of starting production would be to make sure there were no flaws in the systems and to start stockpiling equipment for the coming change-over.  Making Clan spec weapons would be more likely to have started earlier and work with converting their IS builds so they could have things like Atlas C, Shadow Hawk C, etc.  The fluff for the LFE is also that they could only produce so many Clan spec XLs and they wanted something to substitute for them on other designs.
In AU where WD started producing clantech in mid-3040 and no Invasion occurred, ComStar and Great Houses would have taken out Dragoons in a few raids after learning about the superweapons factory (5-7 years after production began) without regard to losses.
IMHO most of the technology would have gone to FedCom.
And Warship cache would have rotted away and remained on Periphery.

Even First Battle of Outreach showed that the Dragoons have weaknesses, and without Warships, AMC and under constant raids, they would have died faster.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2023, 17:04:09 by BaldDen »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2023, 17:35:23 »
IMHO WD retool its assemble lines of Blackwell Corp. after beginning of Invasion. It might manufacture in small numbers clan omnis and clan-spec weapons.
In "Wolf Pack" directly says, what Blackwell's factory "on the other side of the mountain" made omnimechs.

to Alan

Unlikely, what WD have pure elemental phenotype. May be is descendants of freeborn elementals, such as Anton Shadd. 

1.  Its not actually "Blackwell's" factory per se.
Its a mothballed SLDF factory complex that the Dragoons brought in BlackWell to run it.
Blackwell was a MUCH smaller company before the Dragoons started doing exclusive deals w/ them.

Alan, ColBosch
Its happened in journey for Warships, before death of MacKenzie Wolf
IMHO Ironwomb program starts in early-or-mid-3030s, Brian Cameron is 18-year old in 3053.
Correct.
The "Dragooning" of all the 4th SW "Orphans" was a 3-fold win-win for the Dragoons.
1.  They get to look good giving homes & education to kids that lost their parents/homes.  (It backfired in some ways)
2.  They get a steady supply of "recruits" to fill slots in the entire organization from Infantry, to techs, to mechwarriors over the next 20 years based on the "Orphan's" age.
3.  The entire program covers up the Iron Wombs which were brought on line after the 4th SW so they were getting another source of new recruits to replace losses.

No Point?  How about testing the lines.
They had 2 decades to do it, but I'd imagine that having to bring an entire factory complex out of mothballs is going to take a good while.
Then there is bringing it up to Clan Spec standards from SLDF standards.

Finally, they actually had notification in 3049 IIRC when the Clans issued a recall order for the Dragoons to come home, which they ignored, but it did give them a heads up at least.  The only one that finally answered as we know was Natasha & that wasn't till the Blood Named meeting to elect a new ilKhan.

Agreed.
TRO:3050 even points out that the info C* had was from a few MWs from OTHER units that had seen/overheard Dragoons who were testing out stuff like the Shogun-2F w/ ERPPC or Marauder-II-5A.
They never had anyone actually in the Outback w/ access to the Factories.
The Kell Hounds got to go there, EVENTUALLY, for Salome's IVF treatments & for WarGames.  But that honor was rare & reserved for some very specific merc allies.

In AU where WD started producing clantech in mid-3040 and no Invasion occurred, ComStar and Great Houses would have taken out Dragoons in a few raids after learning about the superweapons factory (5-7 years after production began) without regard to losses.
IMHO most of the technology would have gone to FedCom.
And Warship cache would have rotted away and remained on Periphery.

Even First Battle of Outreach showed that the Dragoons have weaknesses, and without Warships, AMC and under constant raids, they would have died faster.
Interesting AU but we have no proof that would happen.
Actually, its pretty clear that WolfNet is literally the best Intel agency in the IS given all the tidbits from TRO's & sourcebooks that have them as the authors.
Which is saying something given C* can monitor your phone calls across the sphere.

What weaknesses did Outreach have?
Not realizing that your planet could erupt in a giant civil war w/ the existing mercs that were there for the Hiring Hall?
Short of not having a Hiring Hall there, I'm not sure what else could be done about it.

When not out on contract, the Dragoons have around 6 Mech regiments, 6 Warships, 6 Aero Regiments, 10+ regiments of Infantry & Tanks.
Outreach is probably the single most heavily defended planet in existence outside of Terra.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

BaldDen

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 22 June 2023, 18:18:19 »
1.  Its not actually "Blackwell's" factory per se.
Its a mothballed SLDF factory complex that the Dragoons brought in BlackWell to run it.
Blackwell was a MUCH smaller company before the Dragoons started doing exclusive deals w/ them.
Blackwell was small company in 3005. By 3053 she was a full-time armament supplier to the Dragoons. And it seems to have been part of them.
Quote from: Hellraiser
No Point?  How about testing the lines.
They had 2 decades to do it, but I'd imagine that having to bring an entire factory complex out of mothballs is going to take a good while.
Then there is bringing it up to Clan Spec standards from SLDF standards.
Why would they test assembly lines?
SLDF-era weapons are already made by many other factories and there are no problems with secrecy

Quote from: Hellraiser
Interesting AU but we have no proof that would happen.
Actually, its pretty clear that WolfNet is literally the best Intel agency in the IS given all the tidbits from TRO's & sourcebooks that have them as the authors.
Which is saying something given C* can monitor your phone calls across the sphere.

What weaknesses did Outreach have?
Not realizing that your planet could erupt in a giant civil war w/ the existing mercs that were there for the Hiring Hall?
Short of not having a Hiring Hall there, I'm not sure what else could be done about it.

When not out on contract, the Dragoons have around 6 Mech regiments, 6 Warships, 6 Aero Regiments, 10+ regiments of Infantry & Tanks.
Outreach is probably the single most heavily defended planet in existence outside of Terra.
Have you read about the first battle of Outreach?

How many different mercenary units are on the planet at all times? How many spies and agents are there among them? How many mercenaries envy the strength and wealth of Dragoons?

And yes, if it wasn't for the invasion, it wouldn't make sense to bring warships into the system either. So if the Dragoons had started filling their troops with clantech in 3045, Outreach's population would have been smaller in 3050 than it was after the second battle for it.

And warships. The Great Houses don't have them, but a bunch of mercenaries do. Three or four squadrons of ASFs with the Alamo in their hardpoint and...
« Last Edit: 22 June 2023, 18:33:52 by BaldDen »

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 22 June 2023, 20:19:00 »
My question: was there a battle that the Dragoons fought, probably in the 3020s or thereabout, where the Black Widow Company (or perhaps Natasha Kerensky and a few others, I'm uncertain) was held in secret reserve in OmniMechs in case the battle went bad and the Dragoons needed to extricate under fire?

Could you be thinking about hesperus?  The widows were held in reserve for a while before they were released and found the ford across the river.  they then were the rear-guard as the rest retreated. (no omnimechs, of course)

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 22 June 2023, 22:32:07 »
Could you be thinking about hesperus?  The widows were held in reserve for a while before they were released and found the ford across the river.  they then were the rear-guard as the rest retreated. (no omnimechs, of course)
I think you’re mixing them up with the also famous opposition there.
The Black Widows were spearheading the Dragoons' push towards the factories, and were the only Dragoon unit to come within sight of their objective. But the Lyrans had fresh reserves there in the form of Hansen’s Roughriders and Smithson's Chinese Bandits who pushed the Black Widows back - a pretty rare achievement. Only the Eridani Light Horse is otherwise known to have won a fight against the Dragoons or the BWC in particular, and that would happen years later.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2023, 01:51:52 »

Didn't Focht state in one of the novels that they never managed to penetrate the Dragoon security on Outreach? And in the first mercenary handbook it also states the Dragoons also prevented any Comstar agents to become members of the Dragoons after their arrival with all those unknown equipment

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #22 on: 24 June 2023, 02:13:17 »

Well, it had been established in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy that an Elemental suit could be quickly and easily modified to be used by someone who was not only a human but one that was short and lightly built.  And these modifications could be done in the field without any dedicated equipment.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 10 July 2023, 04:28:33 »
Why would they test assembly lines?
SLDF-era weapons are already made by many other factories and there are no problems with secrecy

You test the lines to make sure they still work and are up to spec. After 300 years something could have been broken, rusted, knocked out of alignment, dried out, etc. You want to make sure those things are fixed before starting the lines up.

There's also a more important reason to use the lines. Replacing all their lost material. It takes time and money to replace 4 regiments worth of equipment. Blackwell helps, as well as landing fees, repair, maintenance and training of other mercs. Taxes on the locals would also help but only so much. If that were enough, every planet could have 4+ regiments of mechs in 20 years. And it isn't just replacements from the Succession Wars but replacing any lost units after that when they do hire out some units.

Having an industrial complex where you can make your own mechs would speed their rebuilding. A factory would also allow the Dragoons buy up salvage and refurbish it into a new mech without people catching on that they were building new mechs. Those mechs would also be of better quality than a mech assembled from salvaged parts in a mech bay.

As for the OMNI question, Mr. Retcon has the Badger and Bandit OMNI Vehicles being produced in the IS in 3008. With all the fights those vehicles have been in during their 40+ years of production how no one discovered how advanced they were, I don't know.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 10 July 2023, 10:03:07 »
Well, it had been established in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy that an Elemental suit could be quickly and easily modified to be used by someone who was not only a human but one that was short and lightly built.  And these modifications could be done in the field without any dedicated equipment.

Shrinking DOWN is one thing.
It's the IS Suits going UP to Elemental Size that was revolutionary on that Jihad Era Combine suit that a Nova Cat elemental was able to put on quickly.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #25 on: 10 July 2023, 10:19:38 »
Shrinking DOWN is one thing.
It's the IS Suits going UP to Elemental Size that was revolutionary on that Jihad Era Combine suit that a Nova Cat elemental was able to put on quickly.

Which suit?  If it was a Void . . . well, the Cats were in on the design with the Dracs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 10 July 2023, 13:48:32 »
Yeah, that is the one.

My TROs are packed up again.

I don't recall the specifics & Sarna doesn't say they were on the design team, just that trade with them was considered.

IIRC the TRO mentioned something about bringing out an Elemental & he put it on & that perked everyone up & orders started coming in.

The Void is a battle armor design that is produced by the Draconis Combine. The DCMS decided to push its battle armor development program to continue producing new designs following the surge of the 3050s. Though the Combine-Ghost Bear War set the timetable back, the Void debuted in 3067 to a lukewarm reception. It was only after the High Command and Procurement Department realized that part of the design process involved making the suit specifically adjustable to accommodate Elementals, and fully understood the possibilities for trade and partnership with Clan Nova Cat, that a battlesuit that so closely resembles the Kage it was based upon was approved for production.

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 10 July 2023, 21:16:38 »
Nope, there wasn't, but the Dragoons did deploy Omnivehicles like the Bandit. They passed off their modularity off as excellent refits.  They didn't really start making Omnis until the late 3040s in secret, and ended up with manufacturing facilities that were glassed by the Wobbies.  Now it remains to be seen if the ilClan Dragoons reach out to Free World Leauge companies to create a new Blackwell...

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #28 on: 12 July 2023, 01:30:02 »
There have been many times in the real world that someone comes up with an idea that makes people slap their heads and exclaim, "why didn't I think of that?" There's nothing unbelievable about it happening in the Inner Sphere.

But even if a Successor State had reverse-engineered a Bandit or Badger, an OmniVehicle is a far simpler concept than a full OmniMech. We could realistically build an OmniVehicle using today's technology, there's just little point to it. (That said, there a lot of small construction vehicles that can swap out tools for different jobs.) But OmniMechs require special gyros and computers to control them, as well as stuff like swappable ammunition feeds. A salvaged Bandit won't help with those.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 20 July 2023, 20:53:53 »
and the Omni nature of the Bandit or Badger could also be passed of variants within a family design like the Stryker.   And really in BT the only people who would be super interested are Quartermasters Corp who are like "OH MY GOD, think of the idea of 1 vehicle having that many variants, so much easier to supply"
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register