Author Topic: Solaris Skunkwerks Help  (Read 1828 times)

omnigrunt

• Recruit
Solaris Skunkwerks Help
« on: 01 July 2023, 14:22:19 »
Hello!

After a significant CT hiatus (15 years - Life/kids), my old crew and I have been getting back together. Unfortunately, I am having issues getting SSW to work on my Windows 10 Machine. I have spent considerable time reviewing the website and development information from http://solarisskunkwerks.com/ but, have been unable to get the program to load correctly.

Here is the short version of what I have tried so far:

Downloaded and installed Java 6, 7, 8, 19, and 20, while also downloading and extracting the latest stable SSW version (7.6) each time. Windows 10 correctly identifies the JAR files to launch the program but, each time I try and launch the program, nothing happens.

As a troubleshooting step each time I installed a Java version followed by the SSW files, then I used (C:\Program Files\Java\jre-1.8\bin) the java.exe to force it to open, but again, nothing happens.

I am hoping that there is someone who has experienced this issue or is willing to help a 40-year-old Inner Sphere luddite figure this out.

Thanks,

Steve (omnigrunt)
« Last Edit: 01 July 2023, 16:42:39 by Hammer »
Steve

DaevaHuG0

• Recruit
  • Not a Poltergeist
Re: Solaris Skunkwerks Help
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2023, 14:53:00 »
Did you uninstall the old version of java you had before installing the new java version? That can cause some issues if you don't uninstall the old version(s) first. When installing the new java make sure to have the Set JAVA_HOME variable, and JavaSoft (Oracle) registration key boxes to will be installed on local hard drive. I'm not sure if it's necessary for SSW, but it's what megamek requires and SSW worked with the java versions that where installed using those steps on my windows 10 PC.

omnigrunt

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2023, 15:13:46 »
Hi there!

Thanks for your quick reply. I fully uninstalled each version of Java, then downloaded SSW again each time to make sure nothing was hung up.

Regarding your suggested step to "the Set JAVA_HOME variable, and JavaSoft (Oracle) registration key boxes to will be installed on local hard drive", I apologize, but I am not sure what that means. Truly sorry! I will try and Youtube this but, any explanation or additional guidance would be helpful!

Thanks,

Steve (omnigrunt)
Steve

DaevaHuG0

• Recruit
  • Not a Poltergeist
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2023, 15:17:33 »
Try following this guide. It's for downloading java for megamek but it should work for downloading java for SSW too.

https://github.com/MegaMek/megamek/wiki/Updating-to-Adoptium

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2023, 13:16:07 »
You are running at 64-bit, right?  ???

omnigrunt

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2023, 11:35:03 »
Good afternoon, DaevaHuG0 and Daryk.

Thanks for the help last week. I am running Windows 10 64 bit.

I followed the provided troubleshooting steps used to solve MegaMek issues but am still stuck:
- Deleted all Java files
- Restarted machine
- Disk Cleanup
- Restarted machine
- Opened the Eclipse Adoptium help page
- Selected Java V11 for MS Windows 64 JDK version, downloaded
- Change the download JDK With Hotspot through the custom setup to "Will be installed on local hard drive"
- Installed
- Restarted machine
- Downloaded SSW_0.7.6 Zip
- Downloaded SSW-Master Zip
- Extracted SSW_0.7.6 to Desktop in a file called Gaming
- Opened SSW_0.7.6 file and the JAR exe files were not associated with any program
- Right clicked to "open with" on JAR exe file
- Selected C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-11.0.19.7-hotspot\bin
- Selected Java
- Returned to the Desktop Folder and found the SSW jar exe file
- Double clicked the SSW jar exe file
- Nothing happens......

Not sure what else to do at this point.

Thanks for your help and patience!

Omnigrunt

Steve

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2023, 16:40:54 »
Hmmm... I'm really not sure what could be wrong at this point, sorry!  :-\

omnigrunt

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2023, 10:42:18 »
Daryk,

Thanks again for your time and help!

I am currently exploring a rabbit hole trying to determine why my machine has Java indigestion.

Cheers!

omnigrunt
Steve

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2023, 15:09:50 »
Cheers omnigrunt, and best of luck figuring it out!  :thumbsup:

And sorry for the delayed response... a tree branch severed our internet connection Saturday night, and it was only just restored.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2023, 00:22:25 »
I seem to recall older versions of SSW had an option on the "charts and graphs" tab where it could throw the theoretical damage through a to-hit, to give a better idea what actual damage was after things like variable damage, pulse bonuses and minimum ranges.

Newer version doesn't have that?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2023, 04:25:23 »
It does have a check box for "Show Average Damage", and I think that's what it does.

Register