Who wins:

MAD-9D
2 (7.1%)
MAD-11D
25 (89.3%)
Too close to call
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: MAD Fight Night: Marauder MAD-9D vs MAD-11D  (Read 1638 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
MAD Fight Night: Marauder MAD-9D vs MAD-11D
« on: 20 July 2023, 00:21:13 »
The Marauder is one of the most iconic mechs of the game.  Powerful but never overwhelmingly so, it's still gotten significant upgrades over the years and I was curious about how two of the most modern, powerful versions fared against each other.

Debuting in TRO 3145's New Tech New Upgrades section, the MAD-9D mounts two Clan ER Large Lasers, a trio of Medium X-Pulse Lasers, and a Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle, attaching a Radical Heat Sink System to its 16 double heatsinks to help manage the heat.

From Rec Guide 6, the MAD-11D uses paired Clan ER PPCs and Medium X-Pulse Lasers in the arms and also features a Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle in the torso.  It lacks the 9D's Radical Heat Sink System, but has one additional heatsink and protects the SB Gauss with CASE II.  Both mechs are otherwise virtually identical, with the same speed, the same Inner Sphere XL Engine, and virtually the same armor (The difference being that the 9D transfers one point from each side torso to each arm and two points from the front of the Center Torso to the rear).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: MAD Fight Night: Marauder MAD-9D vs MAD-11D
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2023, 02:53:38 »
It'd be a tight fight, but I go for the 11D for having its headcappers.  Everything else is the same between the two, but the ERPPCs swing it for me.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2023, 03:27:44 »
It'd be a tight fight, but I go for the 11D for having its headcappers.  Everything else is the same between the two, but the ERPPCs swing it for me.

Statistically, I have to agree. Insta-kills are instant.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2023, 07:08:17 »
The 11D outguns the 9D except at range 24-25 and every other turn at range 1-6 (until the RHS fails).

AND the 11D has CASEII which is a massive boost to survivability,

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2023, 08:06:28 »
 The 11D, assuming random terrain over 1000 battles.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2023, 09:19:02 »
Well, given the 11D has a roughly 300 point BV advantage, I suppose that's not a surprising outcome.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2023, 11:45:25 »

Even setting aside the headcapping potential, the -11D just throws 29% more firepower every turn outside 9 hexes.  That will add up and give it the advantage most of the time against a nearly identical mech like the -9D.

Maybe if combat starts under 9 hexes apart in a canyon or something, the -9D has a chance by using its RHS to alpha strike and bring its three X-Pulse Mediums into play.  But that alpha strike only delivers 18% more firepower than the -11D, is limited to every other turn (or until failure) by the RHS, and still lacks the -11D’s head capping and armor penetration potential.  Even in those circumstances, it will probably go to the -11D most of the time.

(Both design suffer from Spheroid XLEs.  On the -11D, I’d drop a freezer and the CASE II to free up slots for endo-steel.  That extra free tonnage, in combination with a couple more tons from dropping the X-Pulse Mediums to regulars, should allow the -11D to switch to a safer LFE.  That would be a dangerous brick of mech.)
« Last Edit: 20 July 2023, 12:17:48 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2023, 14:28:25 »
Agree with the hive mind here.  The 9D can't wring enough out of it's close range firepower advantage unless the engagements start at artificially close 9 hex ranges.  Normal engagements are going to swing to the 11D's advantage due to the efficiency of those two headcappers.  Both are good mechs, but once you can get a 11D, the 9D becomes pretty moot.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2023, 20:10:15 »
With no move advantage, the ER Larges just can't compare to the headcappers.

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2023, 18:16:07 »

This
For The Archon!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 24 July 2023, 15:09:44 »
I thought the -11D had a weaker IS?

The cERLL has a a range advantage at 8 hexes as well, though I think they match at 15- been a while since I looked to compare.

I think the real decider is not the ERPPC but the Silver Bullet, getting up to 15 crit chances at the range the ERLLs & ERPPCs operate instead of being much shorter like the LB-10X or LB-20X.  The ERPPC is going to carve away armor opening the door for more than TACs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2023, 15:49:44 »
The MAD-11D's IS is Endo-Composite, not Composite. This means it weighs 75% of the weight of a normal IS for half the space, not that it takes double damage.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2023, 16:07:49 »
I thought the -11D had a weaker IS?

No, it has Endo-Composite IS, which is radically unlike Composite IS.

Composite IS is light but crumbles at the slightest provocation.  Endo-Composite is like Light Ferro-Fibrous Armor: doesn't offer the same mass-savings as the standard version but also only takes up half the crits.

Making two different types of internal structures with such radically different rules but nearly identical names was not Catalyst's best choice.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2023, 16:45:18 »
 Composite is what you put on mechs that should already be avoiding the frontlines at all costs, like the old Pandarus (And even it did not keep it). Endo Composite is a normal Internal Structure that can benefit some designs more than others.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2023, 17:02:26 »
The cERLL has a a range advantage at 8 hexes as well, though I think they match at 15- been a while since I looked to compare.

8-15-25
v
7-14-23

It has an edge in every bracket, but, I'm not sure its enough to counter 15 point hits.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2023, 17:54:47 »
It does, but only if you have a speed advantage big enough to keep it... ;)

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2023, 22:00:03 »
It does, but only if you have a speed advantage big enough to keep it... ;)
A Fire Falcon fan.

Register