Author Topic: Strategic Battleforce engagement control  (Read 903 times)

Evil_Atlas

• Recruit
Strategic Battleforce engagement control
« on: 25 July 2023, 12:31:32 »
I've been looking into the Strategic Battleforce rules in the 2022 IOps printing, and I have a few questions about how engagement control works.
  • Can an engagement control roll be made if you finish your move in an enemy hex? The rules say "Any time a Formation attempts to move through or out of an a hex containing an enemy formation, an Engagement Control Roll may occur". I assume "through" includes stopping there, but it's unclear.
  • On that same note, I've seen an answer elsewhere on this forum saying that engagement control checks aren't made when moving out of a hex that contains an enemy, but the quote included above contradicts that. To avoid confusion, particularly in regards to whether a formation can be engaged again in its starting hex in the Movement Phase after disengaging from the same enemy in the End Phase, would it make more sense for the rule to be "Any time a Formation attempts to move into or through a hex containing an enemy formation, an Engagement Control Roll may occur"?
  • Can a formation overrun, evade, or force engagement during the Ending Engagements step in the End Phase?
  • In the End Phase, does Morale happen before Ending Engagements? Ending Engagements appears first in the book, but failed morale checks can force a formation to try to avoid combat, and I would expect that to take effect immediately rather than on a one-turn delay.
Thank you!

Evil_Atlas

• Recruit
Re: Strategic Battleforce engagement control
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2023, 04:41:15 »
An additional clarity question: If a formation fails its maneuver roll and its opponent gets "behind" it, does it reduce the number of attacks it can make that turn (i.e. a company of three lances can only attack with two of them), or does it reduce the damage of those attacks? "Reduces the number of its attacks by one-half (rounding up)" is just ambiguous enough in the context of the surrounding language that I'm unsure, though I suspect it's the former.