Author Topic: How will the Clans shape Terra and their Star League?  (Read 7575 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Re: How will the Clans shape Terra and their Star League?
« Reply #90 on: 15 October 2023, 17:24:21 »
Hot take: the RasDom gets more praise for their society building because it feels more earned. The Scorpion Empire made a hard shift away from the extremely chaotic (and IMO, much more interesting to read about) situation they were in during ISP3 to this perfect little society with nary a problem of any real consequence. The Imperial/Preserver thing? Literally only appeared in a single short story that read more like an info dump than an actual story. And it all magically went away by the end of that story. It feels less like a living, breathing faction and more like wish fulfillment.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2023, 17:30:39 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #91 on: 15 October 2023, 19:43:59 »
Hot take: the RasDom gets more praise for their society building because it feels more earned. The Scorpion Empire made a hard shift away from the extremely chaotic (and IMO, much more interesting to read about) situation they were in during ISP3 to this perfect little society with nary a problem of any real consequence. The Imperial/Preserver thing? Literally only appeared in a single short story that read more like an info dump than an actual story. And it all magically went away by the end of that story. It feels less like a living, breathing faction and more like wish fulfillment.

Interesting wishlist if I do say so myself

Here is my hot take: if entire RasDom lore was suddenly trimmed down to 20-ish pages of text plus couple of Shrapnel stories it would feel like Tumblr fanfic of highest order

Just like Scorpions would have felt more fleshed out if their lore spanned several IRL decades and a chunky pile of full size sourcebooks and novels like Bears do

And Scorpions in ISP3 were interesting because they were moving towards something new and not being stuck in place, should they ever get more than pamphlet sized content we will get more details about nitty gritty, it's how literature works

And none of this has any bearing on the fact that they applied OG Ghost Bear Dominion recipe on the Imperio

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 16 October 2023, 02:47:36 »
I also seem to remember something in Battletech about the average citizen of the Inner Sphere only noticing the change of flags and currency when their planet changed hands, but I can't find a source for it. Whether it's real or not, that just isn't the case anymore. Capellan, Combine, and Rasalhague/Dominion are just too different to leave the lower classes unfazed by planetary conquest.
There was a menton in either a novel or sourcebook that border worlds which are often heavily guarded are more accepting of a new ruler then interior worlds which are often less fortified. Which was a paradox for the Clans once they broken through the first lines of defenses.

On another note: I recently read Redemption Rites and there the Wolves aren't exactly painted as good rulers: forcing youths with aptitude into the military at basically gunpoint or with the threat of disowning their family and even then disowning them despite the compliance. Or cutting down social programs which leads to the death of the elderly.  I can see that becoming a serious issue especially when they are more or less forced to adopt more Terrnas into their military. Trueborns are very VERY small minority in the IS. Because warriors are the ruling class and if said class is filled with people who want to avenge themselves on the Wolves you create a serious powderkeg waiting to explode

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #93 on: 16 October 2023, 08:01:16 »
Wolves also resorted to cutting off water supplies on certain planets to quell protests. They were pretty terrible rulers in many cases. (Note: a LOT of factions are terrible in specific moments like this.)

Either:
1) the current lore’s painting of how garbage wolves are as rulers is going to get tossed out and suddenly Terra loves Wolves.
2) Wolves suddenly change their stance on how to treat civilians (not likely while Alaric lives)
3) Terra will be the wolf capital, but it’ll never be home. They’ll be stuck for decades on a planet that hates their guts.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #94 on: 16 October 2023, 08:13:44 »
Either:
1) the current lore’s painting of how garbage wolves are as rulers is going to get tossed out and suddenly Terra loves Wolves.
2) Wolves suddenly change their stance on how to treat civilians (not likely while Alaric lives)
3) Terra will be the wolf capital, but it’ll never be home. They’ll be stuck for decades on a planet that hates their guts.

Combo of all three probably

I remember reading a comment here that as Terrans and near by systems being descendants of the Terran Hegemony (that did not leave in the Exodus) would prefer "Clan Stylings" when faced with House Lords history

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 16 October 2023, 08:15:55 »
Wolves also resorted to cutting off water supplies on certain planets to quell protests. They were pretty terrible rulers in many cases. (Note: a LOT of factions are terrible in specific moments like this.)

Either:

Option 4)
They stick with the lesser of two evils. I think the choice between Capellans or Clanners might rather go in favor of the Clanners

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #96 on: 16 October 2023, 12:03:35 »
Option 4)
They stick with the lesser of two evils. I think the choice between Capellans or Clanners might rather go in favor of the Clanners

This right here

Shoddy government is better than Capelan government

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer