Author Topic: Arrow IV Artillery Standard rules  (Read 1777 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Arrow IV Artillery Standard rules
« on: 20 September 2023, 11:19:34 »
Hey all,

So this past weekend, spent 83 Points on a Longbow LGB-8V (skill 2 pilot) because I wanted to experiment with the ARTAIS special.  I brought a couple TAG equipped mechs:  two Wolverine WVR-9D and a Wasp WSP-3S.  Here is how it played out, and I'm hoping for feedback to see if I implemented the rules correctly. 

First few turns I was able to use it in direct fire mode.  I either stood still or used standard ground moves, and was firing at a Point of Impact (POI hereafter).  Skill 2+4 (for artillery attack) +1 (for AoE attack).  That meant in the open, it was hitting a target on 7s when fired at a POI.

Only once did I fire indirectly, and had a Wasp within 24 inches with Line of Sight to the target (right behind the target about 6" away actually).  Skill 2: +4 for artillery, +1 for AoE, +1 for firing indirectly, -1 for having TAG within 24 inches and line of site on the target.  Still hitting on 7s. 

The Wasp itself was part of a Recon Lance with the Forward Observer Special Ability:  that meant that it could serve as the spotter for both of the ARTAIS-2 attacks, AND it was able to attack without the TN modifier for the spotter attacking (AS:CE pg 96).

So for the basic artillery rules, does this all sound correct?

All in all, it wasn't really a game changer having the Arty in the game.  I would say it made cover behind buildings FAR harder for my opponent, because you could simply target the corner of the building you could see, and it woudl still fall within the 2" AoE.  Other than that, I would say other mechs on my list (Marauder, Atlas, Thunderbolt) probably pumped out more damage overall.  It did make hitting some of those high TMM models (Fire Moth, Hellion) possible at ranges (36" to 48") that kept them from being effective.  I could see it being highly effective against infantry and battle armor. 

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Arrow IV Artillery Standard rules
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2023, 11:36:53 »
You didn't mention what movement mode the Wasp used.  If it jumped (or did standstill), that would affect the target number as well. 
Terrain from the spotter to the target can also affect the target number, but at 6" behind the target, I'm assuming there wasn't any terrain :).

But yeah, skill 2 will do that (7s to hit).  Looks like you've got the modifiers correct.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

MarauderD

• Major
Re: Arrow IV Artillery Standard rules
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2023, 11:45:18 »
You didn't mention what movement mode the Wasp used.  If it jumped (or did standstill), that would affect the target number as well. 
Terrain from the spotter to the target can also affect the target number, but at 6" behind the target, I'm assuming there wasn't any terrain :).

But yeah, skill 2 will do that (7s to hit).  Looks like you've got the modifiers correct.

Funny you mentioned the Wasp:  he used ground movement to keep the Artillery at a manageable level.  He proceeded to die for his temerity, only 3 rounds into the match:  I don't think my opponent brought any mechs that didn't do at least 3 damage, so I knew that Wasp wouldn't last.  :P

Register