Author Topic: Deadliest Commands  (Read 2965 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Deadliest Commands
« on: 20 September 2023, 18:05:46 »
 Who do you think are the deadliest commands of the Successor States? Please name up to ten. I may create a poll using some of the units named later for fun. Units must be line regiment (Possibly reinforced, but technically listed as a regiment or RCT) or smaller in size.

PS You may actually make 2 distinct lists of up to ten each, one for the best, the other for a death wish.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2023, 18:28:22 by Minemech »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Deadliest Commands
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2023, 18:08:01 »
Who do you think are the deadliest commands of the Successor States? Please name up to ten. I may create a poll using some of the units named later for fun.

To their enemies, or themselves?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2023, 18:10:10 »
To their enemies, or themselves?
I can make 2 polls.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2023, 18:36:44 »
When you say "Deadly"...

Do you mean Cruel/Lethal/Insane?

Do you mean Best/Effective/Dangerous/Large/Elite?

Like,  Death Commandos v/s  Davion Assault Guards.

Both are deadly as opponents but I'm looking at trying to narrow down what you mean.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2023, 18:42:54 »
 More in the best/effective/elite range, but the unit need not be listed as elite. In fact, some of the most successful units in the Inner Sphere are regular or veteran. You can use a unit's size as a justification if you choose.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2023, 18:59:15 »
Death Commandos for the Capellans, and since it probably won't get mentioned because of their newness, I'd like to throw the Hikage's hat into the ring for the Combine. Don't know or care enough about the other three Houses to suggest anything for them.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Escorpion Imperio • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2023, 19:10:34 »
Most effective version of deadliest:

Davion - First Davion Guards or Davion Assault Guards

Steiner - Hard to say, because the Kell Hounds are mercenaries. I guess 10th Lyran Guards?

Marik - No clue

Kuritia - I'd go with the Genyosha

Liao - One of the Wrrior Houses

Most lethal:

Davion - If I had to guess one of the Syrtis Fusiliers, maybe Robinson Rangers

Steiner - No clue

Marik - One of the Regulan Hussars

Kurita - Second Sword of Light

Liao - Death Commandos
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2023, 19:18:07 »
Okay, in that case, here are a few & the jobs/roles for why they are the best.

Assault / Intimidation  -  5th Sword of Light
Assault / Steam Rolling  -  Davion Assault Guards RCT
General Bad Arsery (Line Combat)  -  1st Genyosha
General Bad Arsery (Line Combat)  -  Wolf Dragoons Alpha
Infiltration/Sabotage  -  Death Commandos
Raiding  -  Federated Suns Armored Cavalry
Raiding  -  Eridani Light Horse Dark Horse
Sucker Punch/Ambush  -  Black Widows

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2023, 20:23:07 »

Time period(s)?
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2023, 20:38:02 »
Time period(s)?
I am being loose in this thread. Choose whichever you want or are most comfortable with. You can even contrast periods if you choose.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2023, 20:39:38 by Minemech »

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2023, 01:04:22 »
For the Lyrans (unfortunately the unit doesn't exist anymore): The Tamar Tigers. Or the 5th Alliance Guard which is now the 1st Bolan Guard
Other commands I would say are effective / deadly:
Fed Suns: 7th Crucis
CapCon: Red Lancers
Combine: 2nd Dieron Regulars (or now 1st Samarkand Regulars)
League: 1st Free World Guards

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2023, 08:54:02 »
Wolf’s Dragoons
Kell Hounds
Falcon Guards
Natasha’s cluster when she went back to ClanWolf. I forget the name
Genyosha
Stone’s Lament
52nd Shadow (maybe?)
Death Commandos
Not really sure on lyran and FedSuns units.

If we treat HotW as a real story, 2nd Wolf Assault (Kalidessa’s cluster).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2023, 09:10:13 »
Natasha’s cluster when she went back to ClanWolf. I forget the name

13th Wolf Guards, a cluster so bad ass the XO used a Hellbringer through the Invasion, later as cluster commander, and eventually saKhan.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2023, 09:23:04 »
I think the First Free Worlds Legionnaires were actually better than the 1st Free Worlds Guards in the 3040s-3060s. The Guards get put on a pedestal, but the First Legion gets nods for successfully being in several minor campaigns in the 3040s. Combine this with the Legion focus on combined arms. I can't remember who they fought in the 3060s but when Liao forces did land and fight them in a minor raid they smashed the Liao forces quite easily.

The First Free Worlds Guards, for all their acclaim and having the best of everything, seem to struggle to win. They seem to suffer a string of defeats, including during the Great Refusal. Best of everything, still struggle to win battles. It's entirely possible that they've gotten a lot better in the recent eras.

For me, for the FWL it's 1st Free Worlds Legionnaires during the 3040s-early Jihad era. Then possibly 12th Atrean Dragoons (saved Kristen's Krushers, became the core of the anti-Blakist resistance all the way to the liberation of Terra) as runner-up. Then we go to the First Regulan Hussars. The strike mark against them is the lack of Level 2 tech in the pre-Jihad eras. The FWLM intentionally kept them down and low on the logistical priority list.

Late Jihad era (after the breakup of the FWL) and beyond, it's probably the 1st Regulan Hussars in the number 1 slot. As they maintain that intense brawler fighting style but also combine it with receiving a lot more support, newer equipment and so on. Hard to argue with Regulan lethality once it gets unleashed and allowed to advance to its full potential.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2023, 09:39:30 by Alan Grant »

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2023, 09:48:58 »
13th Wolf Guards, a cluster so bad ass the XO used a Hellbringer through the Invasion, later as cluster commander, and eventually saKhan.

In the old wolf sourcebook it was the only unit to suffer zero losses on Tukayyid.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2023, 09:58:40 »
I think the First Free Worlds Legionnaires were actually better than the 1st Free Worlds Guards in the 3040s-3060s. The Guards get put on a pedestal, but the First Legion gets nods for successfully being in several minor campaigns in the 3040s. Combine this with the Legion focus on combined arms. I can't remember who they fought in the 3060s but when Liao forces did land and fight them in a minor raid they smashed the Liao forces quite easily.

The First Free Worlds Guards, for all their acclaim and having the best of everything, seem to struggle to win. They seem to suffer a string of defeats, including during the Great Refusal. Best of everything, still struggle to win battles. It's entirely possible that they've gotten a lot better in the recent eras.

For me, for the FWL it's 1st Free Worlds Legionnaires during the 3040s-early Jihad era. Then possibly 12th Atrean Dragoons (saved Kristen's Krushers, became the core of the anti-Blakist resistance all the way to the liberation of Terra) as runner-up. Then we go to the First Regulan Hussars. The strike mark against them is the lack of Level 2 tech in the pre-Jihad eras. The FWLM intentionally kept them down and low on the logistical priority list. the FWG are often held up as the gold standard of the FWLM because so little was ever written about other units (especially in fiction)

Late Jihad era (after the breakup of the FWL) and beyond, it's probably the 1st Regulan Hussars in the number 1 slot. As they maintain that intense brawler fighting style but also combine it with receiving a lot more support, newer equipment and so on. Hard to argue with Regulan lethality once it gets unleashed and allowed to advance to its full potential.

the 1st guards are more of an allegory of the FWL itself - they should embody greatness (and have the resources to be so), but are often hamstrung by bad luck, timing, or performance (see the Andurien Secession and Great Refusal among others). they didn't really come into their own as a command until post-jihad.  the FWG is often held up as the FWLM's gold standard merely because so little has been written about other commands (especially in fiction)
« Last Edit: 21 September 2023, 10:00:45 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2023, 10:04:11 »

For me, for the FWL it's 1st Free Worlds Legionnaires during the 3040s-early Jihad era. Then possibly 12th Atrean Dragoons (saved Kristen's Krushers, became the core of the anti-Blakist resistance all the way to the liberation of Terra) as runner-up. Then we go to the First Regulan Hussars. The strike mark against them is the lack of Level 2 tech in the pre-Jihad eras. The FWLM intentionally kept them down and low on the logistical priority list.

For much of the classical series the writers did not appear to know how to write the Free Worlds League into the storyline. This resulted in truly bizarre things, like an elite regiment getting surprised by a flanking maneuver in the The Great Refusal.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2023, 10:07:52 »
(exchange in the planning of the great refusal)

dev A: "ok so the IS can't sweep, right?"
dev B: "right. someone has to lose."
both, simultaneously: league! (knowing laughter)
dev A: right? who gives a shit about them?
dev B: not FASA!

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2023, 10:12:54 »
the 1st guards are more of an allegory of the FWL itself - they should embody greatness (and have the resources to be so), but are often hamstrung by bad luck, timing, or performance (see the Andurien Secession and Great Refusal among others). they didn't really come into their own as a command until post-jihad.  the FWG is often held up as the FWLM's gold standard merely because so little has been written about other commands (especially in fiction)
The old Field Manual actually implies that the Guards were going through a bad luck spree in the 31st century, and that that period may not be the best timeline to judge the actual unit on. This is problematic for a thread like this.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #19 on: 21 September 2023, 10:16:11 »
indeed. fake history has the disadvantage of having zero records in places where they would normally exist because there wasn't even a trail of primary sources left behind to piece together a story.

but i think the implicit context of threads like these are "based on what we know"
« Last Edit: 21 September 2023, 14:28:52 by Sartris »

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2023, 10:49:38 »
I said the 12th Atrean Dragoons saved Kristin's Krushers during the FedCom Civil War. Just realized that was in error. That was the 6th Marik Militia that were dropped onto Arcadia to save the Krushers. A heavy/assault regiment specializing in planetary assaults. It probably deserves a shout out as well. In the defensive minded FWLM they are one the few regiments which specialize in asault operations (assaults specifically, not raids).

Another point in favor of the 12th Atrean Dragoons however... a force made up in part of the 12th Atrean Dragoons and led by their CO, Colonel Landsdorf (The "White Sabers" in the novel "Price of Glory") did almost destroy the Gray Death Legion. Quite brutally, actually. Arguably another point in favor of how deadly that unit was.

Kinda sad that the 12th Atrean Dragoons are gone, but liberating Sandhurst on Terra isn't too shabby for a final act.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 21 September 2023, 13:46:24 »
We might add some other units too: the unlucky ones or the dumbster units.

For example the 5th Fedcom was one of the unluckiest units in the entire FedCom / FedSuns roster. Or the 1st Chisholms Raiders: from a above agrage unit to dumbster unit for disciplinary problem soldiers

bear

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
« Reply #22 on: 21 September 2023, 13:51:39 »
if you are going with unlucky units it has to be Wilson's Hussars.  They were written as a bad luck unit and then they went to work for the WoB

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 22 September 2023, 01:27:31 »
if you are going with unlucky units it has to be Wilson's Hussars.  They were written as a bad luck unit and then they went to work for the WoB

Did they? I thought they worked for the Fed Suns when the WoB struck and wiped the unit from existence

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #24 on: 22 September 2023, 13:40:10 »
1st Andurien guards. Great unit. Fantastically awful scheme to paint.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2023, 07:51:15 »
 This threat really has not had the activity to make a poll practical.

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 23 September 2023, 09:20:40 »
House Kurita: 5th Sword of Light (Reason: Northwind water poisoning)

Mercenary: 2nd Kearny Highlanders (Reason: They dont accept Surrender, so it is always you either run away faster than they / beat them in combat or they kill you. And according to sarna: in 2802 they didnt grant quarter to Daemians Destroyers even though they asked for it many times.)

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 23 September 2023, 16:29:09 »
Someone already said it but the 52nd shadow division must be one of the deadliest: Jumps through the entire IS with super jump tech and razes entire units to the ground often leaving a few survivors to tell the tale. Though in the end they got a fitting death: glassed by Regulus nuclear fire.
Also one of the most ruthless Mercenray commands: the Greenhaven Gestapo. they also met a fitting end at the hands of the SLDF. I think none of their men survived

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #28 on: 23 September 2023, 17:45:02 »

Tenth Deneb Light Cavalry — Descended from SLDF RDMAF spec ops stock that used to run around in stealthed Exterminators and Nighthawks, fought with the Goons during their last stand on Glenmora and Crossing, responsible for one of the few Davion wins in 3039 on Marduk, and (unfortunately) sided with Katherine during the FedCom Civil War while inflicting horrific losses on Victor’s forces. On New Avalon, the Tenth Deneb’s landing zone strikes caused losses so great on the Davion Assault Guards and First Crucis Lancers that both regiments had to retire from the campaign.  VSD eventually had to lead another five regiments-plus against the Tenth Deneb before they were put down.  (I also seem to recall the Tenth Deneb playing opfor with the ELH, but I can’t find the source.)  The Tenth Deneb are the unsung badasses of the Late Succession Wars and FedCom Civil War.

Even the supporting RCT structure for DLC regiments was intimidating:  3-6 aero wings, 2 BA or jump infantry regiments, 2 hovertank regiments, a ranger battalion (whatever that is) and an engineer battalion.

Other Goons have been mentioned, but Zeta Battalion also deserves one.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2023, 18:09:20 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • Duke-in-Exile of Tamar and Skye
« Reply #29 on: 26 September 2023, 17:59:55 »
sided with Katherine during the FedCom Civil War while inflicting horrific losses on Victor’s forces.

Can't believe that Victor's stern lecture that they were the REAL racists for not being okay that they allied with an openly antisemitic state didn't take.

"You went from annoying the writers so badly that they killed Caesar Steiner just to spite you, to becoming one of them." -3rdCrucisLancers