Author Topic: What makes a good light melee Mech?  (Read 3880 times)

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
Re: What makes a good light melee Mech?
« Reply #30 on: 31 October 2023, 09:48:52 »
What I want to say is, despite of those problems, that would be superior to every non-talons physical weapons, for it increases the effectiveness of either punch or kick, which is the best physical weapons that is also for free, not because it have no option but attack with that.

edit: also, maybe add claws? But having two of those costs too much(two weights far worse than a talons), while you don't need much damage on your punch - only 12 with activated TSM is required to smash the head at once, and against rear torso you don't need so desperately enough to need for twin claws either. The fun part is despite of those problems claws seems still better than the others as well.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2023, 10:06:44 by PuppyLikesLaserPointers »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #31 on: 31 October 2023, 15:05:19 »
Claws also have a penalty to the attack roll.  That's a big weakness unless you're just going after slow targets.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #32 on: 31 October 2023, 15:33:53 »
this is a big one. since most melee weapons do damage based on the mech's mess, light melee units tend to be a bit anemic. so your choice of melee weapon needs to be either something that can do better than the per mass damage of the typical melee weapon choice, or gives non-damage benefits. for example, the Mech Lance does damage comparable to a hatchet, but has a chance to do internal damage on the target. but vibroblades give you the best oomph per ton when active. even a small vibroblade can outperform a hatchet on mechs up to 30 tons, and since vibroblades are fixed mass, and not based on the mass of the mech mounting them, you can even mount a large vibroblade onto a light mech and be doing damage comparable to a 70 ton hatchet wielding mech. though that vibroblade might be the only real weapon you have.
I  have to admit that I have been looking at vibroblades lately as an option for OmniMechs. Everyone used to want their LRM variant. Now they want their melee variant.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 31 October 2023, 17:08:17 »
Welcome to the Celestial camp Jellico. The Word of Blake's is for everyone.

Whether they like it or not

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 08 November 2023, 13:11:40 »
A supercharger. A 36 point charge from the rear is gonna leave a mark on a heavy 'Mech but you'll need to time it so its buddies have to decide between the charger and the guys with the big guns in front of them. Even better if you have artillery in play; they can choose between closing ranks and increasing the artillery splash or opening themselves up to another running back charge.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 09 November 2023, 09:55:36 »
Years ago I had a 30-ton quad taking sensor hits that meant its only realistic attack options left were melee. A damaged heavy moved in 8 (I think) hexes right in front of it (taking cover from some other units. Charge, survived fire phase, hit, put almost all damage to the CT of the heavy destroying it.

My light quad mech literally leapt straight THROUGH a heavy mech! :cool:

Of course with MASC, Supercharger, and Spikes you can make a 20-ton mech that's a legitimate threat to assault mechs. IIRC you can even load up a decent amount of hardened armor and still get a decent turn of speed. :evil:

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #36 on: 09 November 2023, 13:25:05 »
Hmmm...

11/17 Quad with TSM, Harden armor and spikes.

Meep meep, Crunch?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #37 on: 09 November 2023, 13:46:19 »
Is hardened armor really the best choice?  Sure, you're getting extra durability (as long as you can devote the weight to it), but it does give you the +1 penalty on piloting checks.  Doesn't seem terribly great for a mech that's built around making piloting checks.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 09 November 2023, 14:14:37 »
That's why I initially suggested Impact-Resistant armor up thread. Reduces your received damage from Charges and DFAs as well as the enemy mech's own melee attacks against yours without a piloting penalty.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 09 November 2023, 14:18:57 »
Well...

Extra durabilities are needed, Reinforced Structure, armored components...

Anything to remain viable on the field.

Hech, I've even had a pillbox'd Quad with a Battlemech turret contaning a TAG, still providing telemetry for missiles.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 09 November 2023, 14:22:22 »
That's why I initially suggested Impact-Resistant armor up thread. Reduces your received damage from Charges and DFAs as well as the enemy mech's own melee attacks against yours without a piloting penalty.

I can see an Utra-Light with this...

Charge attack on the Light Mech!

Lil' Ms. Coup going vroom vroom....

*bounces off said mech...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 09 November 2023, 16:01:15 »
Hmmm...

11/17 Quad with TSM, Harden armor and spikes.

Meep meep, Crunch?

TT
Impact Resistant armor would be better, it reduces the self damage from the charge better and doesn't negatively affect your speed.

Is hardened armor really the best choice?  Sure, you're getting extra durability (as long as you can devote the weight to it), but it does give you the +1 penalty on piloting checks.  Doesn't seem terribly great for a mech that's built around making piloting checks.
While physical attacks are based on piloting score they are explicitly not piloting checks so modifiers to piloting checks like the one from Hardened Armor don't actually affect them.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #42 on: 09 November 2023, 17:10:49 »
True, but staying on your feet so you CAN charge does depend on Piloting... ;)

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 09 November 2023, 18:00:02 »
Take a look at this abomination. :wink:

Hardened armor on a light melee mech has a simple purpose: keeping the mech alive when the enemy gets irritated (or terrified after a few 60+ point charges!). Impact-resistant armor doesn't help against pulse lasers... :tongue:

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #44 on: 10 November 2023, 09:14:43 »
Take a look at this abomination. :wink:

Hardened armor on a light melee mech has a simple purpose: keeping the mech alive when the enemy gets irritated (or terrified after a few 60+ point charges!). Impact-resistant armor doesn't help against pulse lasers... :tongue:

Tactical note: don't charge a Balius from behind, use the flanks.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 10 November 2023, 14:59:14 »
True, but staying on your feet so you CAN charge does depend on Piloting... ;)

Especially since charging or any other physical, comes AFTER weapons fire!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 10 November 2023, 20:15:28 »
Especially since charging or any other physical, comes AFTER weapons fire!
Successfully charging not only requires staying on your feet, it also requires having feet left to stand on... Lots (relativly) of hardened armor really helps with that!

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 10 November 2023, 21:57:04 »
You can buy more piloting skill to offset hardened armor on a 20 tonner to get 138 effective armor.  You can't buy more standard or impact resistant armor past 69 points.  In general, hardened armor's +1 psr draw back is less negative then -2 to crit rolls and needing 40 damage base to even take a PSR.  Also. due to how difficult it becomes to disable a mech with a lucky shot (head shot, TAC) versus hardened armor, a mech with 80 hardened armor is more survivable then a mech with 160 armor, despite both having the same amount of BV put into armor.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 11 November 2023, 12:30:20 »
Scorpion nest horde Tactics...;Ultra-Lights on parade!

How many can attack per hexside before you loose containmen?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse