Author Topic: Question For Tread Heads - Weight Classifications IRL  (Read 380 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Question For Tread Heads - Weight Classifications IRL
« on: 27 October 2023, 19:36:03 »
So, the idea of vehicles having a classification of light, medium and heavy has its basis in real life.  But, I'm curious if it's as cut and dry as it is in BattleTech.

What tonnages are actually considered 'light', which are 'medium', and which are 'heavy'?  Just curious where things actually lie for current vehicles.  For instance, is the 50-ton M1 variant a heavy tank?

Part of the reason I bring this up is that I look at stats for Real Robot Anime Mechs, like Fang of the Sun Dougram's Combat Armors, and most of them don't top out more than 40 metric.  Neither do the weights given for the MBR Destroids for Robotech.  And, the trend doesn't end there.  Shattered Steel has its World Runners not getting to far above 50 tons.

In BT, a lot of those mechs are in the light to medium range. But, would that be true under real world classifications?

Thanks.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: Question For Tread Heads - Weight Classifications IRL
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2023, 20:22:51 »

There’s no hard-and-fast weight cutoffs.  What is light or heavy for one military will be different from other militaries.  But here’s one real-world take on tank classification weights in the modern era:

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/tanks.htm

And the ubiquitous Wikipedia article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_classification#:~:text=Heavy%20tanks%20were%20required%20to,transport%20on%20lorries%20(trucks).
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Re: Question For Tread Heads - Weight Classifications IRL
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2023, 20:47:45 »
I expected as much.  But, that works well enough for me. 

Thanks.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Register