Author Topic: Ways to expedite target aquisition in large games  (Read 540 times)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Ways to expedite target aquisition in large games
« on: 28 November 2023, 11:14:44 »
I recently created an RFE in the MegaMek tracker suggesting the implementation of a sortable list of targets that players can sort by lowest to-hit number for the weapon selected, among other possible attributes.  The goal of this request is to make it easier for players to find the easiest unit to target in large games (company vs. company and larger) instead of scrolling the map or cycling the "Next Target" button continuously and trying to go by memory where the easiest targets are.  I hope that this would be especially useful for people playing on smaller screens, like those of Surface Pro tablets.

Is there anything currently implemented which I've missed that would make target acquisition in large games just as easy?  I reference the movement modifier values printed over units, but those never account for range or terrain modifiers for the selected weapon.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
Re: Ways to expedite target aquisition in large games
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2023, 14:20:48 »
They actually do account for terrain modifiers.

I feel with the firing cones and the defensive modifiers, you are getting a lot of visual feedback that should lead to easier target selection, but I definitely see the advantage of a quick sort list for large games. I just worry that it'd bog down the program, depending on if the final to-hit numbers are already calculated for everything or done on the fly depending on your target selection.

"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2023, 15:04:38 »
They actually do account for terrain modifiers.

I never realized that, thanks!  Do they account for modifiers from damaged actuators?

I feel with the firing cones and the defensive modifiers, you are getting a lot of visual feedback that should lead to easier target selection, but I definitely see the advantage of a quick sort list for large games. I just worry that it'd bog down the program, depending on if the final to-hit numbers are already calculated for everything or done on the fly depending on your target selection.

There is a lot of visual feedback!  Sometimes I feel like there's so much of it that finding the lowest modifiers is like finding a needle in a haystack.  This is exacerbated on a table-sized screen where there's either a lot of scrolling to find easy targets, or you try to zoom out to find easy targets only for the modifier font to be too small to read.
BATTLEMASTER

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2023, 16:13:40 »
I never realized that, thanks!  Do they account for modifiers from damaged actuators?

Playing around with the GM mode...they do not. It's purely the defensive modifiers, nothing from the attacker.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2023, 17:14:57 »
Playing around with the GM mode...they do not. It's purely the defensive modifiers, nothing from the attacker.

I guess that's not a really big deal since knowing the defensive modifiers probably matters more.

It makes me wonder how the bot decides which target to attack.  Is there a list of targets and to-hit values it sees that we don't?
BATTLEMASTER