Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 6: the 1st 3rd Star League conversation  (Read 71032 times)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
That Robotech Kickstarter and the cluster frack it was, made me limit what I ordered on the Clan Invasion Kickstarter.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
no, no it does not. the company is still being harrassed by people over it, with people trying to make all their more recent crowdsourcing projects (for actual RPG books and related merchandise that they actually can deliver fairly rapidly, and have) tank and generally be nasty trolls about it.
Palladium has been misleading people and abusing trust for DECADES at this point. The Robotech Kickstarter was just a crowing moment of failure in that regards. Multiple warnings were brought up about Palladium's past history but everyone wanted this to succeed so they ignored them. The result was one of the biggest kickstarter horror stories we've ever seen.

I'm glad that their recent Kickstarters seem to have turned that around, but you dont erase that level of failure with just a couple good results. They've got a long way to go before they earn back any trust, especially when the person who owns the company still has their fingers in everything. So I am not surprised people are still giving very big warnings about their past history here.

General308

• Captain
Palladium has been misleading people and abusing trust for DECADES at this point. The Robotech Kickstarter was just a crowing moment of failure in that regards. Multiple warnings were brought up about Palladium's past history but everyone wanted this to succeed so they ignored them. The result was one of the biggest kickstarter horror stories we've ever seen.

I'm glad that their recent Kickstarters seem to have turned that around, but you dont erase that level of failure with just a couple good results. They've got a long way to go before they earn back any trust, especially when the person who owns the company still has their fingers in everything. So I am not surprised people are still giving very big warnings about their past history here.

I am shocked after the robotech epic failure the are even allowed to do another one.  Even more shocked people woult take the risk.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
Maybe we'll see some more news next Tuesday since the following was posted on the BattleTech (and Catalyst Game Labs) Facebook pages:

You have been wondering what has been going on with CGL behind the scenes. Well, we are tired of keeping EVERYTHING a secret, so we are starting a new program!

Introducing Tuesday Newsday with our host, Rem Alternis!

Our first program will be available to watch next week on our YouTube channel, on February 13th! We hope to see you there! (Makeup not included!)

https://www.youtube.com/@catalyst-game-labs

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Maybe we'll see some more news next Tuesday since the following was posted on the BattleTech (and Catalyst Game Labs) Facebook pages:

Will be nice to get some updates. Keep the fan base happy.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant

Will be nice to get some updates. Keep the fan base happy.

Hahahaha thats funny.

Oh, your serious.

Noshrok Grimskull

• Recruit
I am shocked after the robotech epic failure the are even allowed to do another one.  Even more shocked people woult take the risk.
Same here.
Robotech was my first Kickstarter participation. Every single project I backed after that was sunshine and rainbows in comparison.
"If you think I'm crazy, you should see the people I'm locked up with!" - Steamdriven

BrianDavion

• Captain
no, no it does not. the company is still being harrassed by people over it, with people trying to make all their more recent crowdsourcing projects (for actual RPG books and related merchandise that they actually can deliver fairly rapidly, and have) tank and generally be nasty trolls about it.

trust is easy to lose and hard to gain.
The Suns will shine again

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
Grizzly from an event Randall is hosting
« Last Edit: 10 February 2024, 20:35:08 by shivanwurm »

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots

However, their recent Kickstarters haven't actually been by Palladium. They have been by PEG, for Savage Worlds ports of Rifts. And PEG is a company that is professionally run. Palladium has a lot of issues that mostly rest at the feet of one man. I think all of us unfortunate enough to have done the Robotech KS have enough trauma still...and CGL is *WAY* more professional a company.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Grizzly from an event Randall is hosting

Nice!
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
However, their recent Kickstarters haven't actually been by Palladium. They have been by PEG, for Savage Worlds ports of Rifts. And PEG is a company that is professionally run. Palladium has a lot of issues that mostly rest at the feet of one man. I think all of us unfortunate enough to have done the Robotech KS have enough trauma still...and CGL is *WAY* more professional a company.

actually they've done two for palladium, the Titan Robotics Sourcebook (in november 2022. funded in 5 hours, backerkit in Feburary 2023, finished shipping by august 2023), and the currently running a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and other Strangeness deluxe reprint KS. (started october 2023, funded within hours. pledge manager to launch soon)

however the company has a new co-owner, who also is the chief creative director now. he's the one runnign the KS's, and part of the reason the company is recovering.

i'm sorry, i don't care how upset a KS made you, it doesn't deserve death threats to company staff, 24/7 harassment online to the point a writer attempted suicide, and more than ten years of attempts to actively destroy the lives and livelihoods of the people involved with the company. the behavior of the trolls goes way past "very big warnings" and into deranged sociopathy. and most of them stepped over that line not long after the RTT thing ended.

and i've seen worse ones,. the KODT film kickstarter had the guy involved for making the film literally take the money and run, then run three other KS's through different names where he did the same thing (pencil dice for example). Ninja Division's multiple KS for super dungeon explore, starfinder, way of the fighter, and Rail Riders Infinite still remain unfulfilled to this day, nearly a decade after they were funded. (and indeed, much of the stuff people blame palladium for stemmed from ninja Division's involvement in the RTT project for the miniatures side)

by kickstarter standards the RTT kickstarter was fairly typical for the time it was done.. people invested in it, the company did its best to fulfill, but wasn't able to deliver on all of the stretch goals it promised. and unlike most it actually attempted to ensure that the backers got their money's worth in the end. its problem was the PB staff was out of its element and a bit over their heads, and it was substantially larger a KS than most for the time.

they followed kickstarter guidelines for declaring a failed project, and did their "trade wave 2 value for existing product" exchange which by KS's terms of service, cleared out the existing KS. that some backers were idiots and refused to take the deal was on them. many of the deranged trolls claim to be people who refused the deal because they insisted on cash.. something that KS does not actually support that late in a project, and wouldn't have been feasible in any case.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2024, 01:03:44 by glitterboy2098 »

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
The Robotech/Palladium talk is veering towards Rule 7 territory so it might be better to drop it at this point
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
I have tried looking for it- what update for the latest released fiction?  and I am kicking myself over buying the mercs double shrapnel.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
I have tried looking for it- what update for the latest released fiction?  and I am kicking myself over buying the mercs double shrapnel.
Update 50 was the last link to it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
I thought there was new fiction from the KS?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Most recent free Kickstarter fiction was Craig Reed's story Blood Rage
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
I thought there was new fiction from the KS?
There has, it is all being uploaded to the same google drive folder and they haven't posted the link again since update 50.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
Newest addition is Shrapnel #15 (aka double sized mercenaries issue for $15 backers and up) posted to the folder January 3rd 2024.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
I hate to admit it, but I've barely glanced at the Emails from the kickstarter.
We're up to almost-what-upper 70s to 80?
I read the ones about verifying info and what I though was important,like #50
with the download info.
I have to give them credit.

They've definitely kept in contact with us and given more then proper updates.
I kind of wish I would have added on more stuff. 
( like the dropships and Universe book)

Charistoph

• Major
Last update was #77 with the video of the Savannah Master Salvage Unboxing.

No word on shipping in that communication.  There was some speculations in the comments, but I don't think any of it was presented by anyone with any knowledge or authority on the actual situation.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
Is it bad that I haven't even really bothered to look at the PDF downloads for the kickstarter, like at all...?

(I was really, really in it just for the toys.)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Is it bad that I haven't even really bothered to look at the PDF downloads for the kickstarter, like at all...?

(I was really, really in it just for the toys.)

The PDFs were always just extras anyway.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
My unsolicited thoughts on the schedules / lateness of crowdfunding projects: the schedules are estimates based on what the project folks thought they knew at that point, not sworn oaths. It's quite a bit like software development and work estimations there :tongue:
« Last Edit: 14 February 2024, 01:12:12 by ISD »
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
Guess we're getting new fiction sooner rather than later - Jason Hansa was on Mercenary Star Podcast to talk about Fortunes of War #3 "A Skulk of Foxes" which involves the Screaming Eagles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLRALvSzfUU

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
If we bought Force Manual Davion in the kickstarter, do we get access to the PDF when it releases? It seems like it will be released before the kickstarter ships.

Estwilde

• Recruit
There has, it is all being uploaded to the same google drive folder and they haven't posted the link again since update 50.

Was this for 'main kickstarter only'? I got in on the backerkit and haven't seen any emails/links about those.

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
Was this for 'main kickstarter only'? I got in on the backerkit and haven't seen any emails/links about those.
Yes, thanks to how Kickstarter works late backers can't be given access to the updates there, it's up to Catalyst to setup someway of getting digital content to them.

2DarkWolf2

• Recruit
Yes, thanks to how Kickstarter works late backers can't be given access to the updates there, it's up to Catalyst to setup someway of getting digital content to them.

Catalyst said they were going to send the link out to late backers months ago, don't think they ever did.

Its a bummer they seem to have lost their optimism about fulfilling early.

DW

Estwilde

• Recruit
Catalyst said they were going to send the link out to late backers months ago, don't think they ever did.

Its a bummer they seem to have lost their optimism about fulfilling early.

DW

Unfortunate. Expected, but unfortunate all the same.