Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 6: the 1st 3rd Star League conversation  (Read 71022 times)

Charistoph

• Major
I dunno, it's likely 3 mini's a battlemech, airmech and aerospace

And I can see a Jump Plume in there, too.  Probably for AirMech.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Alex Keller

• Captain
I seriously doubt that Catalyst is actually putting a "salvage box" in a lance pack.  I suspect Photoshop.

I would hope so. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I would hope so.

I mean, it was one thing to make the Urbie lancepack, those were at least real mechs.  But making an entire pack out of a meme that isn't canon?  A prank is easier to believe.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Do... do you think that it's still non-canon if a product is published with it?

I hate this but it seems pretty clear that the canonicity of the joke is completely moot.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
we'll probably find out it was a star league prototype. no reason they couldn't retroactively insert it into the setting.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Do... do you think that it's still non-canon if a product is published with it?

I hate this but it seems pretty clear that the canonicity of the joke is completely moot.

I think that as special surprise bonus packs go, something that was nothing but a meme until the pack was revealed is pretty groan-worthy.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
And I can see a Jump Plume in there, too.  Probably for AirMech.

My hope (although I will not be buying this) is: Mech.  Airmech. Fighter.  And smoking pile of rubble.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
My hope (although I will not be buying this) is: Mech.  Airmech. Fighter.  And smoking pile of rubble.
pretty sure if you paint the jump jet plume the right way, it'll look like a crash site.

personally hoping that it isn't a convention exclusive.. can;t be at adepticon and while i've asked my brother to grab me one, i'd love to have 2.. or a full lance's worth.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2024, 00:35:59 by glitterboy2098 »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
It's just such a corporate "joke." Not really funny to begin with and taken way too far. "This 'Mech looks like a trash can, ha ha! Don't you forget it." BattleTech is forty years old and this is the best we can do? Funny Urbie, references to a cartoon 99% of the fanbase has never seen, and "this giant robot looks a bit like this other property's giant robot"? Come on.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
I am not a fan of the endless Urbie memes (nor LAMs for that matter) but I'm not going to get upset about it. In the end, life is too short.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
I can find a use for each of those, so that would be nice.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
It's just such a corporate "joke." Not really funny to begin with and taken way too far. "This 'Mech looks like a trash can, ha ha! Don't you forget it." BattleTech is forty years old and this is the best we can do? Funny Urbie, references to a cartoon 99% of the fanbase has never seen, and "this giant robot looks a bit like this other property's giant robot"? Come on.

Sounds like resentment over the things you specifically want are not as popular as other things people like.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2024, 02:19:37 by shivanwurm »

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
I’m interested in what appears to be the unassembled merc command dice trays in the back.

They were added to the Mercs Pledge Manager at a late date. There's ones for the Clans and Great Houses too
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
I am not a fan of the endless Urbie memes (nor LAMs for that matter) but I'm not going to get upset about it. In the end, life is too short.

Sometimes - SOMETIMES the joke of the Love of all things Urban-Mech can make for a Fun One-Off Scenarios to run for the playing public (and the players LOVED the scenario for it's all around Silliness)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

spotH3D

• Corporal
Urbanmech LAM is unserious and lame.

If they wanted to spend resources on something cutsy, memable, and actually in mass production in universe and IRL has people wanting to buy many copies of it.....

I present to you:

The Hermit Crab.

So many cool new mechs released in the Rec. Guides and we get this might as well not exist LAM instead.

I fear what BS they will pull to make it logical to show up in regular play.  I get MIC with out of control budget prototypes a dumb ass design.  I hope that's where this stays, instead of SL cache with 1000s of Urbanmech LAMs found, or a current industrial concern thinks it is a good idea to mass produce these.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Its not first choice of mechs when there are hundreds of others that people ask for.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
If real, I dont think it's for me, but I am amused by with. In the life of Battletech I've accepted that not EVERY mech is going to be for me. Just...dont buy it if you dont want it. There'll be others down the line. Dont piss in someone else's cheerios because you PERSONALLY dont want it.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
If real, I dont think it's for me, but I am amused by with. In the life of Battletech I've accepted that not EVERY mech is going to be for me. Just...dont buy it if you dont want it. There'll be others down the line. Dont piss in someone else's cheerios because you PERSONALLY dont want it.

This - so much This.

I don't Like ProtoMechs - don't Use. Not a fan of Clan Mechs - don't use them. This is more a Clan vs IS - personally I find the power creep too much, and so don't play a lot of Clan-v-IS. Don;t mind Clan-v-Clan. Don't try and change my mind please, this a personal preference.

That said, I'm not gonna complain and stop others from having their toys, and I still collect/paint the Clans.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
Its not first choice of mechs when there are hundreds of others that people ask for.
given it is probably going to end up being a convention exclusive and thus not available outside special events, picking a unit that is not in standard use is actually a smart idea. convention exclusive miniatures are ideally done as either gimmick figures people collect for the fun of it rather than for gameplay, or limited edition reposes/resculpts of a standard unit done for collectability.

by this standard, an Urbi-LAM is actually not a bad choice. yes it is a meme unit and kinda silly, but that also means that no one is going to be buying it with intent to replicate some specific SLDF unit, or to get an edge up on their local FLGS group's meta. people will buy it because they find the idea fun.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
It’s not a convention exclusive

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MarauderD

• Major
If it really is a Urbanmech Lam, good on Bishop Steiner.  I remember him way back from the MechWarrior online forums in like 2013.  Then he started doing art for CGL, and now there might be a mini?  Cool success story!

DarkSpade

• Major
I really hope all the complaints here doesn't lead to Catalyst no longer trying fun things like this again. That would be a much greater lose in the long run than a little dev time spent on something silly (and fun).

Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Sales will make that determination

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
It’s not a convention exclusive
Is it known if it be part of this kickstarter or will it be a general store item?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Prometheum5

• Sergeant
I'm just gonna stay mad over here that there's still no VP-1 Viper miniature.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
Is it known if it be part of this kickstarter or will it be a general store item?

Yes.  That was covered in the Tuesday Newsday show last week.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
Fluff will come from where it is built, right? I say to know where the Clans will bomb when they have the winged garbage can within range.

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
I really hope all the complaints here doesn't lead to Catalyst no longer trying fun things like this again. That would be a much greater lose in the long run than a little dev time spent on something silly (and fun).

That’s what I’m afraid of.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Absolutely this. I'm in full agreement. I've done the "rioting because a dev didn't cater to my needs" crap back when D&D 3.5 was discontinued. I'm so over that and really think it's just wasted energy that could be spent doing something constructive like, oh, I dunno, actually enjoying the game. Look at it this way -- if they have the money to spend on this fun little fluff, what else might they have up their sleeves that you might actually like?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Well, like I said over in General Discussion, I hope they have a free download of the LAM rules - for both BattleTech and Alpha Strike - ready to go. I'd feel the same way if they did superheavies or QuadVees, by the way. New players who buy this without understanding that it's not something they can immediately use on the table (at least without purchasing an additional, expensive book) will be left disappointed.

Anyway, I've said my piece. Honestly, I'm still likely to buy the pack. I don't find it funny, but it's not the worst visual design out there.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Register