Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 6: the 1st 3rd Star League conversation  (Read 71030 times)

Hydrofoil Goat

• Sergeant
Correct at least in GST (in Australia) - you would be taxed on both "Goods and Services" - the shipping is a service.  Having said that, that is a flat 10% which I expected.  I am surprised that the shipping component is so high compared to AU.  Shipping for this works out around 10-15% for me.

Yep I'm Australia as well, with a very large order. I actually think my shipping is fairly reasonable given the order size, I have a US $2.3k order and shipping is $167. The stinger for me is the GST which I had forgotten about.

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
Less than 10% seems VERY reasonable considering the rates many of us are getting.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
I'm really hoping the fulfillment company isn't double-dipping on handling charges. Those should be covered by their service contract with CGL.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
These shipping prices would be appropriate for 2 day air, which I personally would find mildly amusing as a cause if that had accidentally been picked for all backers.

Something like that is my leading suspicion right now. ActionWife just ordered a whole bed frame that was considerably heavier and bulkier than my KS order will be and it didn’t cost anywhere near $100 to move. There’s obviously been some kind of mistake or mixup somewhere in the calculation process, especially since some non-US folks seem to be getting pretty reasonable rates. My hope is that it will relatively quick and painless to resolve after the weekend.

I can certainly understand the anger and frustration, though. I’m approaching this as someone fortunate enough to be able to afford the charge if worse comes to worse. Some people are looking at surprise costs that they just can’t cover, which is obviously a major problem in the event the situation does not improve.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
Something like that is my leading suspicion right now. ActionWife just ordered a whole bed frame that was considerably heavier and bulkier than my KS order will be and it didn’t cost anywhere near $100 to move. There’s obviously been some kind of mistake or mixup somewhere in the calculation process, especially since some non-US folks seem to be getting pretty reasonable rates. My hope is that it will relatively quick and painless to resolve after the weekend.

I can certainly understand the anger and frustration, though. I’m approaching this as someone fortunate enough to be able to afford the charge if worse comes to worse. Some people are looking at surprise costs that they just can’t cover, which is obviously a major problem in the event the situation does not improve.

Tell me, distrustful and seeing that it arrives to kids in Australia with less shipping charge and to Europeans and USA/Canada more expensive, they haven't contracted for shipping to a company based in China, right?

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Tell me, distrustful and seeing that it arrives to kids in Australia with less shipping charge and to Europeans and USA/Canada more expensive, they haven't contracted for shipping to a company based in China, right?

*ActionButler action shrug*

Given that everything is currently on boats that are presently moving away from China, I would assume not?
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

spotH3D

• Corporal
I'm sure that everyone who wanted to save some money by waiting until the stuff goes to retail did so.

No, because thanks to how KS works we don't know how bad shipping is, it's a fun surprise down the road.

I spent nearly 1200 USD, and my shipping is a third of that?

If I had known that I could of pledged small and only gotten minimal retail items and saved hundreds of $$$ as a US backer by buying plastic retail.

And to be real clear I did a similar amount last time and shipping was way smaller.  Something stinks, and if things go forward as they are this will be what is remembered about the kickstarter.  Major black eye.

I expect however there has been a mistake that will be fixed quickly.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2024, 08:48:27 by spotH3D »

MarauderD

• Major
Gents: remind me as a backer how I check my pledge for the shipping charges?

Edit:  scratch that:  $257.00 shipping to California.  Agreeing with Scotty:  this has to be second day air pricing.  We’ll see what CGL says after the weekend.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2024, 09:24:10 by MarauderD »

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
you should have been emailed a link to the backerkit.

Normie

• Recruit
Gents: remind me as a backer how I check my pledge for the shipping charges?

To check mine I just used the link from the last call to update your shipping address email from catalyst games (i received the email on the 26th). Then clicked next on the survey tab. Hopefully we get an update fairly soon, mine was about a 1/3 of my pledge which feels high.

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
1/3rd seems to be the norm then. Same thing here.

In the end, considering international shipping being what it is nowdays (but then, everything has gone up in a ridiculous way in  a chosrt time span) and how we're that that big a contract for the amount of work entailed, 1/3 is near what I considered "worst case scenario if all goes well". Actually I'm 1/5 over my predictions for my zone of delivery. Company pledge so it's manageable, I can't complain.

Looking at Canada, we're what? 1300 backers perhaps? While the shipping will be condensed mostly in big cities, that's still a lot of ground to cover.

As I've lost control over my entertainement budget last year (as I soon will this year but in a less tragic way), I've dealt with many a store in the eastern canada zone.

Now for the two biggest ones, for orders near the same amount of money as my total pledge, whithout the free shipping bonus for big orders, the shipping was around 15$, for the smaller stores, around 30$. These stores have long term contracts. The shipping companys get a steady income. CGL is a one time thing. You sign those to get a one-timer, fees get higher.

Add to that the whole customs buisness. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I know the governemental estimation aide is worthless and that just having the customs fill the forms can rapidly get to 40$ for the individual...with just one box containing one product. Add in the taxes... And your nearly at a hundred bucks to get the product to your door for a 250$ order.

I'll be happy if CGL can do something to make the kickstarter a better option then retail, but I'm not really surprised at the current "outside CGL" charges.

This was my first kickstarter and will definitely be the last. Making investments just ain't for me.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: I just check my survey on BackerKit. My outstanding cost which by the I left extra for shipping . Outstanding is $284.68 shipping $273.68 . I don't know what $11.06 is for? Oh I' am not happy at all about this at all . I know the TPTB are checking into this after the Easter Holiday. I'll say this last Kickstarter  for Battletech that for sure.

goldenarm1483

• Recruit
    On a 475 order I’m being charged 107. I just ordered 500+$ in another game and got free shipping. Maybe if there were unique items in the kickstarter it would be worth it but this is just retail stuff. If this doesn’t get fixed it’s embarrassing/damaging for CGL whether they’re responsible or not.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Why don't we actually give Catalyst time to do something before we all panic?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
I can't find this info on mine.

Can someone tell us exactly what I'm looking for to click on?
Maybe starting with either the update# or just the screen after I log into the KS?
I might be having some browser issues.
Thanks for any help.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
So, as I wake up this am, and check the emails and what have you, I start the day with a new...WHAT???

Now, while a lot of the masses have read this paragraph and point to at, OK, CGL is looking into it, hopefully things'll be ok:

There is a chance that these charges are correct and this is just the state of mass distribution. If that is the case, Loren and the distribution team plan to come up with a solution to help us stand with our backers.

I wonder why no one seems to have picked up on the first line of the previous paragraph:

While we knew going with a higher quality shipper would be pricier, we did not know it would be to this level for some of you.

Ooooookay... :huh:

That is again akin to my Uber-Eats/Restaurant Analogy, but now the Restaurant (CGL) made a decision that instead of Joey and his Ford Pinto delivering my food, we'll go with Enrique and his Ferrari.

I'm really hoping that was a poor choice of words, because it sounds to me like they chose a different shipper/fulfilment from last time, and this one is way more expensive than anticipated.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
I can't find this info on mine.

Can someone tell us exactly what I'm looking for to click on?
Maybe starting with either the update# or just the screen after I log into the KS?
I might be having some browser issues.
Thanks for any help.

The starting point seems to be the "Address update"-mail you should have received a couple of days ago. There appears to be an option to click through and see the current shipping and other charges. See reply 639 upthread.

That being said, CGL is looking into the matter, so things might change.

I've decided not to look what the shipping charges currently are and will wait until we get an official reply/confirmation from TPTB.

Greatclub

• Captain
Have you guys heard about the stunt UPS tries to pull on Canadians with last-minute brokerage fees directly based off the value of the package?

WELCOME TO CANADA. Fun isn't it.

Hopefully CGL/QML either changes shippers or gets them to smarten up.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Why don't we actually give Catalyst time to do something before we all panic?

Now that's just crazy talk!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Have you guys heard about the stunt UPS tries to pull on Canadians with last-minute brokerage fees directly based off the value of the package?

WELCOME TO CANADA. Fun isn't it.

Hopefully CGL/QML either changes shippers or gets them to smarten up.

Not with UPS, but FED-EX does it all the time.

I have taken to refusing their demands as the 'bill' comes 1-2 weeks after delivery, when you are not even given the option to decline
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
 :rolleyes: :shocked: :tongue: I' am not in panic mode yet because they haven't charge shipping yet. BUT STILL! I have other Kickstarter that just gotten and shipping cost way better then this by the way.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Where do you go to view shipping charges? I'm kinda lost.

Of course, I also can't change my province address yet, either. So there is that.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Ouch. Not sure how they're shipping my stuff, but it was $46 for shipping plus around $3.50 for tax on the shipping (and according to the posted map, California doesn't even charge tax on shipping...).

But as others have said they haven't charged shipping yet, so this might just be a glitch.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
This is kinda a big screw up, but we don't know the real reason.
Let's just hope this gets fixed.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
So far this campaign has run very well, so yeah, I'm hoping this just a bug and can get fixed.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
Where do you go to view shipping charges? I'm kinda lost.

Of course, I also can't change my province address yet, either. So there is that.

I just logged into backerkit and looked down the right hand side for "my pledges" or something and went through there.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
Interesting - I’m in VA, which your map shows as non-taxable, and there’s a charge listed in the QML shipping for taxation on shipping.

Same, in MD, still have shipping tax on it.
Clan Protectorate

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
The starting point seems to be the "Address update"-mail you should have received a couple of days ago. There appears to be an option to click through and see the current shipping and other charges. See reply 639 upthread.

That being said, CGL is looking into the matter, so things might change.

I've decided not to look what the shipping charges currently are and will wait until we get an official reply/confirmation from TPTB.
Thanks DFA!

Seems like all of my important stuff keeps going to hidden corners of my spam box
and all the stuff I want to go away is front and center.
Mine's just over 1/3. I could have something twice that size flown 2 day for less.
Definitely something wonky.
Let's wait and see what Catalyst comes up with.

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
Being based in Europe it feels indeed like rip-off. Especially since during the campaign it was said, that a european hub will be used and "local shipping rates" will apply ..

Yeah, well, I have never seen any local carrier with those kind of charges.....

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
Doing rough mental maths while driving today and using very approximate prices (I basically went with the cheapest miniature store in eastern canada selling battletech, current prices of boxed sets and forcepacks), AS IT IS (for I always apprehend a hidden fee at the border or some such) and even the credit crad additional fee on money conversion rates taken into account, at 1/3 the cost of order for shipping, the minis come out pretty much even compared to retail, but all the pdfs and posters are bonus. Wouldn't necessarly have wanted those things enough to pay for them, but I'll be happy as heck re-arranging the warrom to fit those and the new inner sphere map. Also, such things as the dices will probably be restricted in their distribution, and direct CGL store shipping is simply prohibitive.

Everybody was at least hoping that the shipping costs would be lower (much lower in percentage indeed for bigger orders), I was betting on somethign like 40$ less in total (after ALL expenses) myself for my relatively small order, but we might get satisfaction yet.

Makes for a fair deal if you're willing to deal with the stress of kickstarters. Plus, that money will go into investing on the stuff to make us merry in the coming years, not going through the 3rd party retailer keeps more money per product in cgl's pockets.

More rationalizing of the situation, less stress and/or frustration. Really happy to have stressed out the economic aspects of the kickstarter last year myself.

Register