Author Topic: What would you argue to be the most illogical decision made by an IS Leader?  (Read 10632 times)

BrianDavion

• Captain
It was actually the same thing Hanse had in mind, in this case an heir with a Marik last name on the throne instead of a Davion one. This is why there are arguments in other threads that the peace proposal was a faux act.

except it wasn't the same thing, it wasn't a Davion on the throne, it was a STEINER-DAVION. the FedCom merger was a merger of EQUALS. In fact the Lyrans came out ahead in the deal in every way measurable. from a dynastic POV, the Heir to the throne was raised on Tharkad, attended school on Tharkad, etc. in all ways that mattered VSD was a STEINER.
The Sarna March was brought into the Lyran state. the Lyran Military benifited from Davion tactical exertise (the military hated this but it was a net gain for the Lyrans)  if Hanse wanted to quietly conquer the Lyran state he sure went about it an odd way
The Suns will shine again

Minemech

• Captain
except it wasn't the same thing, it wasn't a Davion on the throne, it was a STEINER-DAVION. the FedCom merger was a merger of EQUALS. In fact the Lyrans came out ahead in the deal in every way measurable. from a dynastic POV, the Heir to the throne was raised on Tharkad, attended school on Tharkad, etc. in all ways that mattered VSD was a STEINER.
The Sarna March was brought into the Lyran state. the Lyran Military benifited from Davion tactical exertise (the military hated this but it was a net gain for the Lyrans)  if Hanse wanted to quietly conquer the Lyran state he sure went about it an odd way
That was the plan, Melissa would marry Janos' designated heir in an arranged marriage and their heir would hold both thrones. The authors somewhat tried to excuse her action through a monetary policy issue, but even that was a logical proposal.

EDIT: To bring in the logic, in royal politics, the outside party who ascends is the consort, so Thomas Marik would have been the Archon Consort, and their child could ascend to the throne if approved by the Estates General. In the League, Melissa would have become the Duchess of Marik, and be plausibly allowed to be elected as Captain-General in an interesting twist (Which obviously would not happen).
« Last Edit: 03 January 2024, 20:50:20 by Minemech »

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
I wouldn't say that they had no animosity. John actually MEANT IT when he declared himself First Lord. Since everyone else also declared themselves First Lord, he has beef with everyone.

Was there any confirmed explanation other than this put forth for BRASS RING? The Davion Handbook speculates that he wanted an 'indirect' victory over Kurita by triumphing on Hesperus II but even if the AFFS had succeeded what kind of morale boost would have been gained? "Hooray, my soldiers, we did what the snakes couldn't do on some distant planet in another realm! Oh and by the way, our counterattack on Cartago was smashed, the First Prince nearly killed, and we've been ordered to fall back again."

Good points, and to many in the FedSuns VSD sure did seem more Lyran than one of their own. I did find it odd, though, that the national map color for the FedCom seems to be the same as the one for the FedSuns. Or was that just out-of-universe?
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
Haha, well technically a VSD sits on the throne of the 3rd Star League, and has his sights on Tharkad lol. Katherine's insurance / redundancy plan :grin:

Minemech

• Captain
Was there any confirmed explanation other than this put forth for BRASS RING? The Davion Handbook speculates that he wanted an 'indirect' victory over Kurita by triumphing on Hesperus II but even if the AFFS had succeeded what kind of morale boost would have been gained? "Hooray, my soldiers, we did what the snakes couldn't do on some distant planet in another realm! Oh and by the way, our counterattack on Cartago was smashed, the First Prince nearly killed, and we've been ordered to fall back again."
It would have forced both the Commonwealth and the Combine to react. If it had played out as he desired, they both might have lost far more troops than they had planned to expend there. The League would be the wildcard. It also could have dealt long term damage to the Commonwealth.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2024, 23:14:26 by Minemech »

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?

Can you find even one time that he's called Victor Steiner? Because he's called Victor Davion all the time, including in FM:ComStar, a report which Victor himself was the overall editor of. Victor was also raised with the hope he would be someone with enough brains to understand more than "shoot" and "gun" and that didn't work out either so maybe he has Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

The Sarna March was Hanse buying himself a PS5 and telling Melissa she could watch him play it. If Hanse was actually going to do something that benefitted the Lyran state, he should have staged a big liberation campaign in Skye and Tamar.

Furthermore, Hanse wasn't patient enough to actually let Katrina's plan of pushing out old officers play out, he just assigned everyone a Davion "advisor" and turned it into a cultural wedge issue. The second it went from "military alliance" to something more, they doomed the plan because now you need to reconcile questions like "what is the basic role of government?" which the two states are so far apart on that they're fundamentally incompatible.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2024, 00:31:46 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Actually the Lyrans liberated a lot of planets in 'Operation Götterdämmerung'. And thanks to Frederick Steiner Katrina managed to stop Theodore's counter attack into the underdefended Isle of Skye. The main problem here was of course the formation of the Rasalhague Republic which forced the Lyrans to sacrifice the planets they had payed for in blood years earlier lest they create a new partisan front in their own borders.

Minemech

• Captain
 It should be remembered that in the early 31st century, the CCAF, FWLM and LCAF were all seeing improvements in performance.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
Actually the Lyrans liberated a lot of planets in 'Operation Götterdämmerung'.

This is true. Part of why I harp on Hanse choosing to go after the Confederation in the 4th SW being a mistake. The Elsies accomplished a lot basically on their own, imagine if Hanse hadn't passed up the chance to finally wage a coordinate squeeze-play campaign against his and House Steiner's most hated enemy and to seek personal revenge against Max Liao instead.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
This is true. Part of why I harp on Hanse choosing to go after the Confederation in the 4th SW being a mistake. The Elsies accomplished a lot basically on their own, imagine if Hanse hadn't passed up the chance to finally wage a coordinate squeeze-play campaign against his and House Steiner's most hated enemy and to seek personal revenge against Max Liao instead.

We always forget the externalities and other conditions that influence the decision making.  The CapCon tried to sponsor a coup inside the Fedsuns, and did so via the Hasek-Davion branch of Hanse's over-sized family.

he kinda had to do something about that, the FedSuns looks, at surface, like a monolith, but it's got a history as rife with civil wars as the worst of the Free Worlds League, only those civil wars are family fights...as in fights between members of the Davion family, the FedSuns is less centralized than it might first appear as well-there's only so long Hanse could sit on the Haseks or the Sandovals before they become a threat to his rule.

IOW domestic politics may have had as much to do with the 4th Succession War, as anything Mad Max did, and influenced the war of '39 as well.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Middcore

• Lieutenant
We always forget the externalities and other conditions that influence the decision making.  The CapCon tried to sponsor a coup inside the Fedsuns, and did so via the Hasek-Davion branch of Hanse's over-sized family.

he kinda had to do something about that, the FedSuns looks, at surface, like a monolith, but it's got a history as rife with civil wars as the worst of the Free Worlds League, only those civil wars are family fights...as in fights between members of the Davion family, the FedSuns is less centralized than it might first appear as well-there's only so long Hanse could sit on the Haseks or the Sandovals before they become a threat to his rule.

IOW domestic politics may have had as much to do with the 4th Succession War, as anything Mad Max did, and influenced the war of '39 as well.

The CapCon, and by extension Michael, were effectively neutralized by having a Davion agent penetrate the Capellan government and military apparatus at the highest level. If Michael tries to rally support, all Hanse has to do was spill the evidence of Morgan conspiring with the hated Confederation and Michael wouldn't even be able to show his face within his own Capellan March again. As for the Sandovals, the main beef then-Duke Aaron Sandoval had was ignoring the Kurita front to go after the Confederation, so it's spurious to bring them up as a reason why Hanse would choose the Confederation as his target.

Edit: Corrected Michael/Morgan typo
« Last Edit: 04 January 2024, 11:06:54 by Middcore »
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
The CapCon, and by extension Morgan, were effectively neutralized by having a Davion agent penetrate the Capellan government and military apparatus at the highest level. If Morgan tries to rally support, all Hanse has to do was spill the evidence of Morgan conspiring with the hated Confederation and Morgan wouldn't even be able to show his face within his own Capellan March again. As for the Sandovals, the main beef then-Duke Aaron Sandoval had was ignoring the Kurita front to go after the Confederation, so it's spurious to bring them up as a reason why Hanse would choose the Confederation as his target.

Michael*
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Middcore

• Lieutenant

MarauderD

• Major

I do think Hanse needed to go after the Confederation.  His intelligence arm had everything in place to make it work.   That being said, my only beef with Hanse is that my heart wanted him to go after the Combine instead.  Instead of carving apart the CC, a combined invasion of the combine in 3028?  I think the Dieron district gets divvied up, and the LC and FS conquer roughly half the Combine.  The drawback, as I play that out in my head, is that when the clans invade, the whole corridor is now in the Lyran Commonwealth.  The clans would carve up the AFFC, never lose at Wolcott, etc. 

So as much as I wish history was different in BattleTech, I can see why it can't be as well.   :tongue:

Minemech

• Captain
 An invasion of the Draconis Combine would have forced both the Free Worlds League and the Capellan Confederation to go all in. Tragically the cream of the crop of mercenary units were serving the Suns and Commonwealth with the Dragoons having historically constituted an entire front in the 4th.

Starfury

• Lieutenant
Richard Cameron declaring war on the Periphery
Kerensky's Exodus
The War of 3039
The Word of Blake launching the Jihad
The obsession Takashi Kurita had with Wolf's Dragoons
The Wolf's Dragoons allying with Alaric Wolf
Davion's first Invasion into the Taurian Concordat
Case White.
Katherine Steiner Davion's attempt to rule the entire Federated Commonwealth
Devlin Stone's misguided attempts at trying to build a future Star Leauge by making the Republic and the Wolf Empire into a new Hegemony
The multiple rebellions of Skye
Comstar's inability to consider the Word of Blake as a greater threat then the Clans
Whoever decided that Battletech machine guns needed two hundred rounds of ammo per ton....

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Richard Cameron? You mean Ian Cameron right?

And here is one: Kerensky not abdicating as SLDF Commanding General when he was named Regent for Richard. Like running an army this huge plus ruling an empire of the then  entire known galaxy? Especially when said regent makes it his goal to ply the star lanes instead of ruling on Terra.

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
Richard Cameron? You mean Ian Cameron right?

Both of them?

Ian did so to unify the Star League.

Richard did so to put down the rebellion.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Richard didn't even start a war with the Periphery. That was all Kerensky's doing. And the Periphery started their Freedom War themselves, the SLDF reacted to it. Richard was just the first Lord at that time

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Just thought of something: Kerensky not going after amaris immediately after reaching a peace agreement with the other Periphery states. Sure he didn't know how potent the remaining defenses were but Amaris fleet was basically gone and the Space defense over Terra was also completly destroyed. While reorganizing the survivng SLDf armies would probably take a lot of time Amaris would also have way less time to form solid defenses.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer