Author Topic: What is the issue with Aerospace? Why is it supposedly "unpopular" with players?  (Read 10712 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Making a successful all-new aero ruleset is an interesting dilemma because you have to consider before you even start what your goal is: to make a game that complements base BT well, or making something that is successful and thrives all on its own (like X-Wing, or Alpha Strike).  The two require very different approaches.

Well, the latter option might be something to consider.  If you make it a core game with its own setting, you can potentially bring in other players who might not care about BattleTech and Space Robots.  And, then you make it compatible with BattleTech, you not only get potential cross-over appeal, but you get the BT players who would be interested in that very supplement to their normal ground games.

And this could very well be true for other elements of BattleTech.  A ground troop Star Grunt style game could very well function on its own in its own setting. And, then it could also add some detail for BattleTech Ground combat through some integration rules with BT ground units and stats for the soldiers across the different factions, or even time periods.  Then you also have an avenue to explore other periods of BT history that are outside the pervue of the BattleMech.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
I got the infantry construction rules in junior high.

You're that much younger than me? I am turning to dust as we speak.

That doesn't really tell me much.  I first saw Warship Construction rules in Battlespace, which was released in 1993.  I didn't see any Infantry Construction rules till the Tech Manual, but I was out of the loop from the late 90s till just the last decade or so.

I think that joke was a little too subtle....

Yeah.  Not enough people are thinking Rated-R basic like that.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
You say that like they can't now.  How odd.  You can't use the Targeting Computer to make Aimed Shots with Pulse Lasers, but there's nothing stopping the TC from giving Pulse Lasers a bonus for regular fire.
That loophole hasn't been completely closed but, the Human TRO SPA exists and can do an Aimed Shot with both Pulse Laser bonus and TarCmop bonus.

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
A ground troop Star Grunt style game could very well function on its own

I use Stargrunt II to resolve infantry fights in Battletech!

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
Part of the issue for me is the realism of it.

As mentioned, it's hard to write aerospace into the lore without spoiling the ground battles, as I suspect the vast majority of wars and battles would be decided in space, regardless of any boots on the ground (or whether or not any boots were ever on the ground to begin with).

There are ways around this, but they are very contrived; a couple examples might be: every planet has an SDS to keep the ships far away until ground units can disable them, or every battle is being fought in a place that is too critical to Nuke From Orbit. Neither of these fit in too well with the Battletech universe imo - SDSs are super rare, rarer than warships I would argue.

This even works for aerospace fighters really - ground units without gobs (and I mean GOBS) of point and self defense systems will just be buried by powerful weapons from well outside their ability to retaliate... unless the enemy also has air support, in which case, the air forces tangle and maybe the ground guys can have a fight too (though it's irrelevant unless it's being fought over the contenter's only airbase or something).

Now if ASF were rare or something, that would be a bit easier, but it's a case of "rip apart the von-luckner to repair the mech? NO NO, my boy, we rip apart the von Luckner AND the mech to repair the space plane!"

Orbital control effectively no-sells meaningful ground engagements except in limited wars, imo. Limited wars can happen, of course, so maybe there's space there for ground battles.... Ah, but no space for ASF. Here we go again.

EDIT:
To be fair, I can also see on-world conflicts and raids (maybe) working okay. *Shrug*. Just not interstellar militaries.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2024, 14:38:37 by CarcosanDawn »

Retry

• Lieutenant
The solution to that seems straightforward to me: Planet-based anti-orbital infrastructure that is common and effective enough to cover important infrastructure and make pure Warship-based orbital bombardment generally inefficient and dangerous, but not so ubiquitous and effective that Dropships can't land somewhere outside the anti-orbital defense coverage and deploy Battlemechs to attack such infrastructure.

Unfortunately that would essentially require a lore rework since Battletech's already entrenched into the alternative approach of "Fleet?"  Distant Alamo Explosion "What Fleet?"

Charistoph

• Major
That loophole hasn't been completely closed but, the Human TRO SPA exists and can do an Aimed Shot with both Pulse Laser bonus and TarCmop bonus.

Human TRO increases the Roll to Determine Critical Hits.  It's Marksman and Sharpshooter that do that.

And SPAs aren't always available.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

RifleMech

• Major
If planetary and space defense systems were so common as to force dropships to land a large distance from target wouldn't the use of warships would be encouraged? Not that I don't want to use them but "I kills it with my warship!" shouldn't be the go to option.

I remember aerospace being rare and I think it should be. You need ground units to take the field. I don't think the bottleneck shouldn't be manufacture though. It should be in pilot training. If it takes longer to have ASF Pilots, wouldn't there be fewer ASFs?

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
The attrition rate must certainly be higher.  Ammo explosions and headshots aside, mechwarriors tend to survive combat, and mechs are easy to repair or at least scrap together.  What's left of an aerospace fighter after a failed lawn dart roll?

Daemion

• Major
I remember aerospace being rare and I think it should be. You need ground units to take the field. I don't think the bottleneck shouldn't be manufacture though. It should be in pilot training. If it takes longer to have ASF Pilots, wouldn't there be fewer ASFs?

Or rarely deployed.  You wouldn't want to risk your flight corps on just any unidentified inbound dropper.  The planes, themselves are also expensive to produce, so replacing them wouldn't be that easy.  And, as has been pointed out in another thread questioning maintenance, Fighter Craft are maintenance Hogs, meaning that some may be stuck in a hangar at an inopportune moment because a circuit board is on the fritz, or the fuel line isn't injecting right. 

The solution to that seems straightforward to me: Planet-based anti-orbital infrastructure that is common and effective enough to cover important infrastructure and make pure Warship-based orbital bombardment generally inefficient and dangerous, but not so ubiquitous and effective that Dropships can't land somewhere outside the anti-orbital defense coverage and deploy Battlemechs to attack such infrastructure.

Unfortunately that would essentially require a lore rework since Battletech's already entrenched into the alternative approach of "Fleet?"  Distant Alamo Explosion "What Fleet?"

But, it would work well in an age where warships are limited. 

I'm surprised that the IS powers allowed their navies to fall apart as badly as they did.  Honestly, I'm surprised we didn't see some ship crews and captains turn pirate/privateer near the end of the 2nd Succession War.  There may have been a time where individual warships would bounce around and be the force projection bubble for parts raiding. 

And, if you only have ONE ship, it's priceless.  You wouldn't stick around to see it wrecked or captured.  So, the idea that many planets would turtle up with effective anti-shipping firepower near important points of interest would actually act as a deterrent for a solo Warship to keep its distance.

And, that would mean that having a single planetary defense warship or even monitor would also act as a means of keeping the Pirate with a warship or Merc with a Warship under contract, from sticking around too long.  You get into that gunfight. you lose your mobile base of operations. 

Thus you could have single ship-to-ship combat, but with a hefty forced withdrawal set-up.  Having to play your escape because the enemy showed up just barely in time to get off a few shots might be interesting for those wanting to track that kind of thing with a merc/pirate force.

And, this goes back to the lore needing a bit of a touch-up.  Would people be okay with that, though, in light of the 1st and 2nd Succession War source books that came out recently?  You want warships in BT, they really need a presence in the fiction other than key moments in major wars throughout BT history.  I'm not strictly drawn to BattleTech for the Historical Battles.  I don't mind playing in historical eras, but the big draw is generating a custom force for the period and seeing how far they get, and what kind of impact they may have in the back yard of history in BT.  That will be true of Warships, Aerospace and Dropships just as much as my star Mech Force and the hero characters I have in them.

The attrition rate must certainly be higher.  Ammo explosions and headshots aside, mechwarriors tend to survive combat, and mechs are easy to repair or at least scrap together.  What's left of an aerospace fighter after a failed lawn dart roll?

Y'know, I've read through the AT2 and TW rules for aero a couple times and have played a variety of missions with Droppers and AeroFighters.  But, there's one thing which escapes my memory:  Pilot Ejection.  I don't recall if there's rules for emergency ejections for Fighter Pilots.  There should be.  It's a key feature in modern combat avionics.  It's an intrinsic part of BattleMechs. 

Daemion

• Major
So, one thing I'll come back to as a problem I have with Aero game rules is the performance dichotomy between units in the air and in space, and units on the ground. 

While I did state that I like the concept behind the range bands and the scale of hexes for the different low- and high-altitude/space theaters of play, that's for a very explicit cross-over reason. 

I'm one of those people who look at the short engagement ranges on the ground and take them at face value and have worked out a whole slough of reasons as to how that works.  Aerospace units are using the same weapons, especially fighters, as well as the same armor, and have probably adopted the same active defensive maneuver algorithms that make it effective on the ground.  That means to me, that they should be shooting at each other at matching, dangerously close ranges.  This would be hard to emulate while they're moving at speeds that see them clear whole ground maps in a matter of a fraction of a ground turn.  But, I think it can be done. 

So, part of the turn-off is consistency in performance across the games. 

I also have a problem with how much, or rather little, damage a dropship can take.  You have the weird dichotomy of the Hit Location Armor bubble acting like a forcefield.  Then you have really sensitive structure that seems to fall apart from all of a few hits once that forcefield is gone.  But DropShips are the size of Buildings!  And, on the ground, a landed dropship is immobile, so it should be easy to pick it apart, knocking out weapons bays and other things without having to blow it up outright.  You would think that it would be the other way around, with armor covering key items and the ship almost impossible to demolish but with the most explosive, powerful anti-ship weapons.

The rules for grounded Aero Units aren't that clear, and I have to take advantage of loose rules interpretations based on the situation to allow for crippling a ship for boarding and salvage.

And, then there are Warships, which amplify the armor force shield effect beyond believable.

So, those are my gripes with the current system.

Lance Leader

• Corporal
I'm one of those people who look at the short engagement ranges on the ground and take them at face value and have worked out a whole slough of reasons as to how that works.  Aerospace units are using the same weapons, especially fighters, as well as the same armor, and have probably adopted the same active defensive maneuver algorithms that make it effective on the ground.  That means to me, that they should be shooting at each other at matching, dangerously close ranges.  This would be hard to emulate while they're moving at speeds that see them clear whole ground maps in a matter of a fraction of a ground turn.  But, I think it can be done. 

So, part of the turn-off is consistency in performance across the games. 

I've thought about the same thing and thought a good solution would be to make aerotech ranges on low altitude maps be 1/2/3/4 for short/medium/long/extreme.  It would make aerofighter combat more dogfight oriented in keeping with Btech's WW2 in space themes and essentially consistent with the ground ranges.  On the other hand I could seem some practical gameplay issues cropping up, like miniature crowding from players clumping all their fighters together in a small spaces to overlap ranges.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair

There is also pilot death to think about.  When a mech goes down the pilot survives.   When an ASF goes down there is a good chance the pilot is lost as well.  Even higher in space after a losing engagement.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Part of the issue for me is the realism of it.

As mentioned, it's hard to write aerospace into the lore without spoiling the ground battles, as I suspect the vast majority of wars and battles would be decided in space, regardless of any boots on the ground (or whether or not any boots were ever on the ground to begin with).

There are ways around this, but they are very contrived; a couple examples might be: every planet has an SDS to keep the ships far away until ground units can disable them, or every battle is being fought in a place that is too critical to Nuke From Orbit. Neither of these fit in too well with the Battletech universe imo - SDSs are super rare, rarer than warships I would argue.

This even works for aerospace fighters really - ground units without gobs (and I mean GOBS) of point and self defense systems will just be buried by powerful weapons from well outside their ability to retaliate... unless the enemy also has air support, in which case, the air forces tangle and maybe the ground guys can have a fight too (though it's irrelevant unless it's being fought over the contenter's only airbase or something).

Now if ASF were rare or something, that would be a bit easier, but it's a case of "rip apart the von-luckner to repair the mech? NO NO, my boy, we rip apart the von Luckner AND the mech to repair the space plane!"

Orbital control effectively no-sells meaningful ground engagements except in limited wars, imo. Limited wars can happen, of course, so maybe there's space there for ground battles.... Ah, but no space for ASF. Here we go again.

EDIT:
To be fair, I can also see on-world conflicts and raids (maybe) working okay. *Shrug*. Just not interstellar militaries.

you can smash lots of shit flat with air strikes and artillery, but if you're trying to take something of VALUE, you need boots on the ground that do less.

Yes, I said LESS.

why? because whatever it is you're fighting over, if you destroy it, you have wasted megabucks on nothing.

Damage it? not so much, but if you want it intact enough to fix, you're going to have to put men in harm's way to take it.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
I'm surprised that the IS powers allowed their navies to fall apart as badly as they did.  Honestly, I'm surprised we didn't see some ship crews and captains turn pirate/privateer near the end of the 2nd Succession War.  There may have been a time where individual warships would bounce around and be the force projection bubble for parts raiding. 

The SeaFoxes are sort of doing that during the ilClan Era.   They can pull it off because they have a large amount of other assets to protect their main ships if and when they need refit, and the merchant fleet to needed to support it.  A rouge warship would be alright for a little while, but the second it needed to stop for a repair and refit it would be extremely vulnerable to retaliation.

That is assuming you could keep the crew in line.  I doubt very many Navy personnel would support a captain stealing a ship to become a pirate.

idea weenie

• Major
If planetary and space defense systems were so common as to force dropships to land a large distance from target wouldn't the use of warships would be encouraged? Not that I don't want to use them but "I kills it with my warship!" shouldn't be the go to option.

Make a really expensive ground to ~orbit setup being a light SCL pointed up.  From the new errata here, a defending energy weapon emplacement is tuned to the local atmosphere so it doesn't get the range reduction.

So the SCL/1 is firing a 10 standard pt shot every minute which will keep hostile cargo/pirate Dropships from wanting to be overhead near it.  A Warship will accept the light damage from that weapon, and bombard the general location.  The SCL are not that expensive (220k-450k), so the limitation would be tech ability to build/maintain them.

This lets you have pirate raids affecting the rest of the planet since the orbital defense is only in the most critical locations, a reason for wanting to capture the planetary capital (it has the SCL defense), and an assault still being able to go in (its Dropships are armored enough to take the hits).

Now all we need is TPTB making a variety of canon bunkers mounting the SCL/1 (and the other two types).  You'd need armor, comms, quarters (for the tech crews, gunners, troops to protect it, etc), and other fun stuff.  Or fan designs placed elsewhere.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
the issue there is that Subcapital weaponry like the SCL1 didn't exist until 3073.. and didn't become available to non-WOB factions until the mid 3080's.

so it doesn't really fix the bombardment issue.

the Peacemaker Missile system (basically a ground launched Killer Whale Capital Missile with a nuclear warhead) becomes available around 3056, which works a little better.. but proliferation of such systems to various worlds isn't going to be fast,  plus you have the issue with using nuclear weaponry so close to a planet. (Article I of the ares convention prohibiting nuclear use within 75,000km of a planet being one of the few parts of the conventions that both the IS and the clans seem to actually follow.) conventional warheads would be an answer there, but still runs into the issues of proliferation.

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
you can smash lots of shit flat with air strikes and artillery, but if you're trying to take something of VALUE, you need boots on the ground that do less.

Yes, I said LESS.

why? because whatever it is you're fighting over, if you destroy it, you have wasted megabucks on nothing.

Damage it? not so much, but if you want it intact enough to fix, you're going to have to put men in harm's way to take it.

Right, but that's sort of what I meant in my post by "every battle is somewhere important enough not to flatten".

If a battle is happening somewhere where neither side wants to flatten it, then I can believe a ground battle can happen there. But I expect those places to be fairly few, all things considered - after all, the lore for the 1SW is that "everyone flattened each other's infrastructure with nukes". I can't think of a time they said "wait, this is important, let's not nuke it" right up until they ran out of warships to launch the nukes with, haha.

In fact, the only reason Mechs survived and Warships didn't is because all the warship factories got nuked before the mech factories did.

Daemion

• Major
  I've thought about the same thing and thought a good solution would be to make aerotech ranges on low altitude maps be 1/2/3/4 for short/medium/long/extreme.  It would make aerofighter combat more dogfight oriented in keeping with Btech's WW2 in space themes and essentially consistent with the ground ranges.  On the other hand I could seem some practical gameplay issues cropping up, like miniature crowding from players clumping all their fighters together in a small spaces to overlap ranges.

And, then with external hard points, you could bring in Air-to-Air artillery of a sorts, bringing back the equivalent of Sidewinder missiles to get the needed reach for the low-alt scale.

Daemion

• Major
the issue there is that Subcapital weaponry like the SCL1 didn't exist until 3073.. and didn't become available to non-WOB factions until the mid 3080's.

so it doesn't really fix the bombardment issue.

Well, the proposition there would be a change in lore.  A retcon, if you will. 

Daemion

• Major
The idea of retconning in ground to orbit artillery was something done in a number of the video games.  Mech Commander, and the mobile defense lasers in MechWarrior 4: Black Knight come to mind.  It might have been part of the plot behind MechWarrior 3, as well, but my memory on that one is fuzzy. 

edit: And guess who helped write the stories for those video games?  Some of the people in charge of producing BattleTech now.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2024, 16:11:57 by Daemion »

Retry

• Lieutenant
By definition of my suggestion, the planetary defenses would be common enough to make bombardment via Warship high-risk.  Sending a multi-billion C-Bill warship to blast an important multi-million C-Bill factory if you're likely to be blasted by a million C-Bill orbital defense array (Capital and sub-capital weapons are surprisingly cheap C-Bill wise).  Even if the chance of failure during the bombardment is low, like 1% per engagement, those are bad odds and not something you'd like to do regularly if you'd wish to keep your fleet.

Alternatively you send a Dropship near the objective to the surface and send a ground team on foot.  Each 'Mech only costs millions, many orders of magnitude cheaper than an entire Warship, so most can afford losses in pursuit of the objective.  Even in a worse-case scenario where you lose the entire Dropship due to incomplete information, that hundred-million C-Bill ship is still magnitudes cheaper than a Warship, so the loss is still far more palatable, though still not pleasant.

Charistoph

• Major
So basically the less magical shield version of:

"    Vader: What is it, General?
    Gen. Maximilian Veers: My Lord, the fleet has moved out of lightspeed. Com-Scan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the sixth planet of the Hoth system. The field is strong enough to deflect any bombardment.
    Vader: The Rebels are alerted to our presence. Admiral Ozzel came out of lightspeed too close to the system.
    Veers: He felt surprise was wiser–
    Vader: [angrily] He is as clumsy as he is stupid. General, prepare your troops for a surface attack.
    Veers: Yes, my Lord. [bows and leaves quickly]
    [Darth Vader turns to a nearby screen and calls up Admiral Kendel Ozzel and Captain Firmus Piett.]
    Ozzel: Lord Vader, the fleet has moved out of lightspeed and we're preparing to– [begins choking]
    Vader: You have failed me for the last time, Admiral. Captain Piett.
    Piett: [nervously] Yes, my Lord?
    Vader: Make ready to land our troops beyond their energy field, then deploy the fleet so that nothing gets off the system. You are in command now, Admiral Piett.
    Piett: [sees a dead Ozzel collapse] Thank you, Lord Vader."
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
My 3 C-Bills;

1.) Make Warships vulnerable. I know people love the idea of Warships being near invulnerable war machines but considering the number of Battleships lost to fighters in history, it will increase the value of Aerospace fighters in orbit and risk for such a gun platform to enter orbit.

2.) Make them expensive, in terms of money and personnel needed. I know the game already does this to some extent and people just ignore it so they can have Leviathans duke it out in theater but I still think it's important for the in universe reason why ground battles are still the most important aspect of keeping a planet. You just can't afford to have a warship in every orbit.

3.) Overkill is a thing. Dropships with Aerospace fighters can cover allot of task in the BTU, a Warship ready to orbital strike a city shouldn't be plan A when a Steiner Scout Lance can murder the opposing forces hilariously without turning the city into a creator with orbital guns.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
one possible option to deal with the bombardment issue would be to make bombardments only viable with specialized munitions..

heavily reduce the damage and AOE from capital weapons when used against a ground target. then give NAC's and capital missiles special bombardment munitions that retain the current damage and AOE. (which do a lot less against anything but ground targets)

this helps limit the effectiveness of warships in wiping out whole armies or cities in a single salvo, unless they fill their magazines with specialty munitions that leave them less effective against stuff that can kill a warship. existing designs optimized for bombardment with energy weapons stop being "i win' buttons and start just being exotic artillery support. and while warships usually have enough cargo space to afford to carry a few magazine reloads of the special munitions.. few carry big enough magazines to be able split their loads and remain effective, and reloading from cargo is a long process that can't be done during battle. and if they're loaded for bombardment, they'll be more vulnerable to other spacecraft.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2024, 19:16:14 by glitterboy2098 »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
one possible option to deal with the bombardment issue would be to make bombardments only viable with specialized munitions..

heavily reduce the damage and AOE from capital weapons when used against a ground target. then give NAC's and capital missiles special bombardment munitions that retain the current damage and AOE. (which do a lot less against anything but ground targets)

this helps limit the effectiveness of warships in wiping out whole armies or cities in a single salvo, unless they fill their magazines with specialty munitions that leave them less effective against stuff that can kill a warship. existing designs optimized for bombardment with energy weapons stop being "i win' buttons and start just being exotic artillery support.
One could base it on the principle of over-penetration, in that regular shots drill deep but narrow holes, so you would need ways of spreading the damage out.

But capital weapons can't be made too weak or it will undermine the universe, so my preference would still be for lots of ground-based cap missiles that are optimized against warships, which would be a natural technological development during the age of war.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel

this helps limit the effectiveness of warships in wiping out whole armies or cities in a single salvo, unless they fill their magazines with specialty munitions that leave them less effective against stuff that can kill a warship. existing designs optimized for bombardment with energy weapons stop being "i win' buttons and start just being exotic artillery support. and while warships usually have enough cargo space to afford to carry a few magazine reloads of the special munitions.. few carry big enough magazines to be able split their loads and remain effective, and reloading from cargo is a long process that can't be done during battle. and if they're loaded for bombardment, they'll be more vulnerable to other spacecraft.

I thikn that was actually addressed.  See, tehre's a couple things involved...  "Flight time" and "How stationary is your target?"

You an 'bombard' from well past oribt, if you don't particularly care about leaving anything to take on the ground, or if you're fine with creating an environmental event like global thermonuclear winter.

YOu know, where 'close' is measured in kilometers and running at the target is truly pointless.

but you're not going to take anything that's valuable.  (sort of like using nuclear ICBMs to take an oilfield-the Iraq war would've been one and done in five minutes if we used minuteman missiles or something...just there wouldn't be any Iraq left.)

So I might suggest the other way;  you need specialized munitions and down-tuning on your energy battery, or fifty years to several centuries to wait for the target landmass to be cool enough to approach (and for the fallout to finish falling).

Anything worth sending tens to hundreds of billions of [currency] to take, is too fragile to survive the experience, so taking it requires ground troops.

War is an economic exercise as much as anything else, esp. in the Battletech context we're used to (3rd successon war onward), an offensive that pays dividends in radioactive ashes is by definition a failure even if you destroy all the enemy.

This is unlike pure ship-to-ship, which really DOES require both sides to consent to meet for the engagement outside of very close orbit (On account of 'space: It's REALLY BIG, and doesn't include nice rock-lined narrow inlets like you get in bays and river mouths")

Instead, I'd emphasize the requirement to get close to your Orbital bombardment targets for anything short of a bunker complex (aka anything capable of moving under its own power), and secondary impacts to make it undesirable to DO that if you're after, say, a factory complex or you want to annex the civilian infrastructure and actually get something that isnt' burned, bleeding and dying.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Honestly Orbital Bombardment isn't what makes Warships so overly problematic.

Because they are already extremely vulnerable while doing so.

No.

A much more fundamental problem is they have a capacity to intercept troop carriers that is much nastier than ASFs.

And if they fail that?  They can go after the Jumpships instead.  Or vice versa.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Honestly Orbital Bombardment isn't what makes Warships so overly problematic.

Because they are already extremely vulnerable while doing so.

No.

A much more fundamental problem is they have a capacity to intercept troop carriers that is much nastier than ASFs.

And if they fail that?  They can go after the Jumpships instead.  Or vice versa.

Space: It's VERY BIG!!!

Meanwhile, it takes a while to accelerate anywhere, and nobody has Inertial dampening or compensators.  That means your 5/8 or higher accel curve on your super-duper warship is subjecting the crew to enough gravity to damage their circulatory systems and make tripping in the corridor a hospital worthy event even for someone in fantastic shape, complete with "maybe won't survive the trip to sick bay".

Sustained ops have to be done within a reasonable range of one gee's acceleration, which becomes problematic if you're trying an interception against someone who can change vectors or speed.

Because space is big, it's also more than two dimensions, so you're trying to cover a spherical volume with your pursuit/patrol ships that is massive, has response times delayed by speed-of-light, and requires quite a lot of prediction being right to make it work. 

For Orbital distances, (the only place an intercept might actually work consistently) you have to be positioned over the right hemisphere when your opponent makes his landing runs (or takeoff runs).

otherwise the planet's in the way.

The scale would be ike trying to secure the U.S. Coastline using a couple of speedboats-a successful detection and interception in the Gulf requires a concentrated search and knowledge ahead of tie, or the narco-sub's going to land their load of  Cocaine somewhere on the coastline.

Mechanics of jumpship travel and the mechanics of ballistics say that an attacker can already come from damned near any direction and the detection grids, being focused on 'easiest approaches' because resources are FINITE including the resource known as "guys to watch the screen at headquarters who have enough experience to have a clue what they're seeing and enough devotion to watch it instead of playing Space-Tetris because they're bored."

so interception LOOKS easy-assuming the other side wants to be cooperative about letting it happen, but it's not necessarily going to BE easy even if your fleet is made of Leviathan III's.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
We have examples of in system jumps being used.

So yes space may be big, but a Warship properly utilized solves a lot of that problem.

Especially since on the defense a Warship knows where any inbound invaders are going for with rather rare exception.

Add in orbital bombardment from a rules perspective has not been Warship exclusive since at least since Battlespace and while yes it may be a consideration, it is clearly not the biggest threat they pose to the ground game.