Author Topic: The Drone Carrier in TRO:3039 nerfed?  (Read 1967 times)

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
Re: The Drone Carrier in TRO:3039 nerfed?
« Reply #30 on: 02 March 2024, 02:14:03 »
it can control 5. it can carry 6.

Absolutely not. In 3039 it is said the drone carrier can transport 5 drones only. 3 tracked, 2 hover. The Napfinds are now 2,5 tons each.

Anyway, the main problem is that tearing down the equipment of the drones do not permit them to have the AS recon ability and so they cannot act in SBF like they should, fluff wise.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2024, 02:49:03 by Mostro Joe »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #31 on: 02 March 2024, 02:51:14 »
Absolutely not. In 3039 it is said the drone carrier can transport 5 drones only. 3 tracked, 2 hover.
that's only 13 of the 15 tons of cargo space it has. so unless they also altered the cargo capacity (which they have not, i've checked) it should still be 6 drones.

Anyway, the main problem is that tearing down the equipment of the drones do not permit them to have the AS recon ability and so they cannot act in SBF like they should, fluff wise.
the equipment on the old write up didn't give them any special recon abilities that other vehicles didn't have. it was just meant to allow such small vehicles to carry full sized vehicle sensors.

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 02 March 2024, 07:34:39 »
the equipment on the old write up didn't give them any special recon abilities that other vehicles didn't have.

As I Say again, I'm talking about SBF here. The abilities are based on AS.

You keep talking about TW  :tongue:

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #33 on: 02 March 2024, 10:44:20 »

I don’t see the issue.  None of this affects charging attacks.  The Napfind, and to a lesser extent, the PathTrack and Hi-Scout remain great units for ramming an enemy mech’s legs.

[joke]
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 02 March 2024, 15:11:27 »

Then this should be in the Strategic Combat board (https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?board=21.0) rather than here.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 02 March 2024, 16:46:30 »
Interesting!  And very good timing, Since I just posted a new thread asking about Drone roles.

I've decided to use Herb's Nebula California rules allowing Drones to carry BA weapons and equip, the Improved Sensors, etc., should help with scouting.  Imagine a Drone using BA Stealth armor and equipment, Drop sensors on hardpoints, TAG, Laser Microphone ...

Lots of potential here.

I love that idea! :smilie_happy_clapping: And it would work for a lot of the older vehicles built with fractional accounting.  :evil:

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #36 on: 02 March 2024, 22:41:47 »

And all AS abilities are derived from the equipment they have in Total Warfare. They would never have RCN in any form because their original TRO entry included something wasn't a valid piece of game equipment.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 03 March 2024, 02:18:23 »
And all AS abilities are derived from the equipment they have in Total Warfare.

I know that. For the fourth or fifth time, the problem is that!

The Drone Carrier has been nerfed in TRO 3039. While on a TW scale that is not such a problem, it anyway gives not the access to the recon ability in AS (ability that it should have, based on older TROs data and based on fluff anche background information) and so its use on SBF is NOT like it should be!

I think what I mean is clear. And I think you all are trolling me just for the sake of arguing.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2024, 02:26:55 by Mostro Joe »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #38 on: 03 March 2024, 03:24:28 »
No. We're not trolling you. We're attempting to engage with you.

... gives not the access to the recon ability in AS (ability that it should have, based on older TROs data and based on fluff anche background information) and so its use on SBF is NOT like it should be!

Consider your statement.

Now remember:

1) New rules and new printing supercedes old rules and old printing
2) Fluff is never rules.

The 'recon equipment' in TRO 3026 was purely fluff. There were no rules for it in that period of the game. There is no background information suggesting that the 'recon equipment' referred to ever had any rules.

In addition, text and stats in TRO 3026 are superceded by TRO 3039. This puts your claims on the same basis that fractional accounting should still be legal under TW play, and roll up into SBF, because it was legal in TRO 3026. Which it clearly isn't.

You appear to be making your appeals based on your perception that the purely fluff description of recon equipment in TRO 3026 should be applicable under Total Warfare rules, and therefore carry up into SPF. You're drawing a spurious connection between the words 'recon equipment' in an obsoleted TRO, with new equipment with rules defined in later works.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #39 on: 03 March 2024, 17:01:35 »

I love that idea! :smilie_happy_clapping: And it would work for a lot of the older vehicles built with fractional accounting.  :evil:

Ah..  I've decided to stick to designing strictly legal designs, so I'll be sticking to that as much as possible.  The idea was to provide players with legal options, after all.

However, as part of my AU, I tend to embrace homebrew tech.  So, YMMV.  Still, whether a Piranha sub-Cap is launched from a standard launcher, a single-shot Missile Tube, a twin-engine FighterShip, a Moray-class stationary Missile launcher from under the surface of the ocean - the missile is canon.   :mafiosi:
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #40 on: 03 March 2024, 18:15:40 »
In Alpha Strike, you can put the 5 drones (6?) in a Recon Lance (all sz 1 with scout role) to give them "RCN" anyways, not sure about SBF.

Designing them is fun.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 05 March 2024, 15:34:32 »
I know that. For the fourth or fifth time, the problem is that!

The Drone Carrier has been nerfed in TRO 3039. While on a TW scale that is not such a problem, it anyway gives not the access to the recon ability in AS (ability that it should have, based on older TROs data and based on fluff anche background information) and so its use on SBF is NOT like it should be!

I think what I mean is clear. And I think you all are trolling me just for the sake of arguing.

I think you are not understanding that the fluff especially back in the 3026 TRO but really in a lot of the TRO's claim a mech can do XYZ when rules to do XYZ do not exist.  Sometimes rules get made up later on for XYZ sometimes they don't.  Sometimes with the rule for XYZ get made up they don't work with the things that the ideal came from.    So you can't really nerf something that didn't have the rules for something in the first place.  Though often these type things were put in for RPG players.  But seems people forget that the RPG exist if they don't play it. 

Here is a funny fact about the fractional accounting.  When those early TRO's came out with fractional accounting.  Fractional accounting wasn't even legal.   They made it optional and legal and back and forth more than once after the fact.  Just the way things go sometimes

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 09 March 2024, 01:59:59 »
Ah..  I've decided to stick to designing strictly legal designs, so I'll be sticking to that as much as possible.  The idea was to provide players with legal options, after all.

However, as part of my AU, I tend to embrace homebrew tech.  So, YMMV.  Still, whether a Piranha sub-Cap is launched from a standard launcher, a single-shot Missile Tube, a twin-engine FighterShip, a Moray-class stationary Missile launcher from under the surface of the ocean - the missile is canon.   :mafiosi:

It does work. :)

That's true. :)

Register