Author Topic: The Drone Carrier in TRO:3039 nerfed?  (Read 1974 times)

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
The Drone Carrier in TRO:3039 nerfed?
« on: 27 February 2024, 13:10:21 »
I've seen today that the Drone Carrier's little drones, in the TRO:3039, have no more the scan sensors equipment. I never noticed, but today I was trying to prepare a force for Alpha Strike where the Drone Carrier was present. And I've seen the little drones are not in the MUL. I wanted to convert the data myself, but...

There is a difference from TRO:3026 and TRO:3039 then. Why?

This way the importance of the Drone Carrier is nullified. The Drones, even by fluff, are a freat way to scan and recon the map.

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
Re: The Drone Carrier in TRO:3039 nerfed?
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2024, 13:24:48 »
TRO:3026 is originally from 1987 and predates Tactical Operations (where AFAIK drone control systems where first given rules) by 20 years.

I *think* the HiScout received an upgraded and rules legal re-release but the acompanying drones didn't. So it's not a nerfing of the unit(s) but trying to bring a unit that previously construction and game play rules in line with the current iteration of rules.
Jude Melancon lives!

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2024, 13:31:28 »
TRO:3026 is originally from 1987 and predates Tactical Operations (where AFAIK drone control systems where first given rules) by 20 years.

I *think* the HiScout received an upgraded and rules legal re-release but the acompanying drones didn't. So it's not a nerfing of the unit(s) but trying to bring a unit that previously construction and game play rules in line with the current iteration of rules.

TRO: 3026 had a revised edition where the little drones had their recon equipment. In the 3039 edition, the recon equipment is gone. The tracked drone has now just two "manipulators". But nothing is now fluff wise.

mitchberthelson

• Warrant Officer
  • Death to Zohan!
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2024, 13:40:31 »
FYI, the Drones are in the MUL under "Hi-Scout Drone (PathTrak)" and "Hi-Scout Drone (NapFind)."

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2024, 13:54:50 »
FYI, the Drones are in the MUL under "Hi-Scout Drone (PathTrak)" and "Hi-Scout Drone (NapFind)."

Oh, it's true. Thanks. Why they didn't pop up when I wrote "drone"? Bah.

They don't have the recon ability indeed.
Thats' not how they should work!
« Last Edit: 27 February 2024, 14:10:59 by Mostro Joe »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2024, 17:03:06 »
does "recon equipment" have any rules though? i don't think they ever did, and there has been a big push with all the reprints and update editions to ensure that all unit entries only cover stuff that has rules.

and gameplay wise.. they are still the way to scout the map. they just use the default sensors found on all vehicles. rather than some nebulous "sensor equipment" that didn't have battletech rules.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2024, 17:04:47 by glitterboy2098 »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2024, 18:46:00 »
The sensor equipment was .25 and .55 tons.  No rules.
With fractional accounting removed as a standard rule, TR3039 made a lot of changes to vehicles, including removing the random sensor equipment with fractional tonnages.
It wasn't that the drones were specifically nerfed, it was fractional accounting that was removed, and the no rules equipment was removed rather than slowing the unit or removing armor.  (Warrior going from 10/15 to 9/14 becuase control equipment went from 1.05 to 1.5).

Correction: The Drones were overhauled to be support vehicles.  Possilby because without fractional accounting they didn't work at all, but I'm just guessing there. But the old Napfind had .75 for engine, .1 for control, .2 for left equipment, .2 for internal.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2024, 18:50:17 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2024, 01:47:03 »
So I decided to look the Hi-Scout up in 3026, and the second paragraph is just beautiful, it's basically how everyone's going to run out of scout 'Mechs, because their the lightest and least well protected and always sent on dangerous mission so the Hi-Scout was developed as an actually expendable replacement.

Chinless

• Modicis Amice
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2024, 03:25:35 »
Correction: The Drones were overhauled to be support vehicles.  Possilby because without fractional accounting they didn't work at all, but I'm just guessing there. But the old Napfind had .75 for engine, .1 for control, .2 for left equipment, .2 for internal.

That was exactly the reasoning. They didn't work under the rules - with or without fractional accounting - so they were remade as support vehicles.

Chris

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2024, 07:56:28 »
I understand.

But this way they are not eligible for the Recon special ability (that the Swift Wind mantains luckily enough).

I see that the drones could be not very useful in a TW scale, so who cares, but they could be in SBF (I really like that system, I m one of the few I suppose).

Oh and being them supporto vehicles It s why I did not found them on MUL at the First try   :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: 28 February 2024, 07:59:33 by Mostro Joe »

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2024, 08:16:16 »
The sensor equipment was .25 and .55 tons.  No rules.
With fractional accounting removed as a standard rule, TR3039 made a lot of changes to vehicles, including removing the random sensor equipment with fractional tonnages.
It wasn't that the drones were specifically nerfed, it was fractional accounting that was removed, and the no rules equipment was removed rather than slowing the unit or removing armor.  (Warrior going from 10/15 to 9/14 becuase control equipment went from 1.05 to 1.5).

So with the NapFind and PathTrack getting DRO on their AS cards but basically having no equipment on the record sheet, is this a rare case of fudging the card to keep the "point" of the unit?
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Wraithcannon

• Master Sergeant
  • Oh boy, here I go killing again!
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2024, 10:42:19 »
We need new drones for this unit.

A VTOL drone and a Fixed wing aircraft for certain.

Years ago I made a VTOL drone by using a 3mm soviet helicopter miniature.

Link to the design in the Fan section.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,11156.msg264887.html?fbclid=IwAR3hJpR7L106pxnkyne4-fMliHPOp9-2ueXyPOnRzAN6oDVCSfvPgMiBM_A#msg264887
« Last Edit: 28 February 2024, 10:46:58 by Wraithcannon »
Whomever said violence isn't a solution obviously wasn't using enough.

Planning an operation against the Capellans? Hey, who wouldn't? - Sulla

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2024, 10:56:23 »
So with the NapFind and PathTrack getting DRO on their AS cards but basically having no equipment on the record sheet, is this a rare case of fudging the card to keep the "point" of the unit?

Their TR entry says

"Crew: 0
Note: Features Ultra-Light Chassis Modification and Drone (Remote) Operating System"

The RS doesn't say it because it was made in 2011 and technical limitations were unable to show it at the time.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2024, 11:09:59 »
Their TR entry says

"Crew: 0
Note: Features Ultra-Light Chassis Modification and Drone (Remote) Operating System"

The RS doesn't say it because it was made in 2011 and technical limitations were unable to show it at the time.

Totally missed that, was only looking at the RS and not the TRO entry.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2024, 12:11:29 »
So we only need some variants with Recon Cameras to fix the issue?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2024, 15:04:55 »
I would not say "variant". They should be reworked keeping in mind what they originally were.

Ok, I undestrand that the Drone Carrier is not the unit everyone is mad for, but this way I cannot do what I thought I could. At least not "officially".

Using Strategic Battleforce, I wanted to include the drone elements (that by the way became 5 from the original 6 they were) as a unit, including them in the formation were the Drone Carrier also was.

Then I wanted to detach the unit, because drones can go as far as 25 hexes from the controlling Carrier, so I could use them to scan the enemy blips. But they don't have the recon ability!
That's because now they are some sort of "empty boxes" zipping around the battlefield. Sure, they can scan like any other vehicle can (5 hexes away if I'm not wrong), but fluff says they were a really good recon sysyem during the Succession Wars and TRO:3039 ruined that aspect.

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 01 March 2024, 07:42:19 »
So we only need some variants with Recon Cameras to fix the issue?

Anyway, in my SBF they have the equipment to have the recon ability. No matter what 3039 says

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 01 March 2024, 08:59:52 »
Then I wanted to detach the unit, because drones can go as far as 25 hexes from the controlling Carrier, so I could use them to scan the enemy blips. But they don't have the recon ability!
That's because now they are some sort of "empty boxes" zipping around the battlefield. Sure, they can scan like any other vehicle can (5 hexes away if I'm not wrong), but fluff says they were a really good recon sysyem during the Succession Wars and TRO:3039 ruined that aspect.

you realize that in the succession wars, none of their competition had the recon ability either? wasp, stinger, locust? nada. skulker wheeled scout tank? nope. Savannah master? zip. Ferret VTOL? no. packrat? no

the only one that does is the swiftwind.. and that only its ultra rare original 1st succession war configuration with the extra tons of comm equipment. the more common versions (the ICE, ICE-cargo, and ICE-speed) all lack it.

compared to those the Hiscout and its drone's are a superb recon unit. they can scout out a larger amount of territory than manned vehicles of similar collective mass, and they don't endanger human pilots. and since compact ECM technology is lostech, there aren't many things that can disrupt the drone control systems, other than just shooting the drones.

The saying about gift horses comes to mind here. You already have an excellent scouting system, why complain it lacks a feature no one else of the time has?
« Last Edit: 01 March 2024, 10:45:36 by glitterboy2098 »

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 01 March 2024, 11:01:04 »
you realize that in the succession wars, none of their competition had the recon ability either?

That's why it was so special. Then what?

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #19 on: 01 March 2024, 11:24:44 »
There's no issue here. The drones as-is are extremely useful at all scales of play. At the TW scale their purpose is to detect hidden units and call down artillery and other forms of indirect fire without risking a manned operator. You can literally play a hide and seek scenario with one side having zero humans on the mapsheet. I'm not as familiar with Battleforce or bigger games, but I'm reasonably certain they can do the same thing in those systems as well.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 01 March 2024, 13:10:14 »
I'm not as familiar with Battleforce or bigger games, but I'm reasonably certain they can do the same thing in those systems as well.

As I said yet, they can. But not as effectively as the fluff says. They are "empty boxes" now that go for the battlefield and you can use them to scan enemy blips. But they do that like any other vehicle, same distance, no bonuses, losing the edge they have in the written background.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2024, 13:52:15 by Mostro Joe »

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #21 on: 01 March 2024, 19:04:06 »
Interesting!  And very good timing, Since I just posted a new thread asking about Drone roles.

I've decided to use Herb's Nebula California rules allowing Drones to carry BA weapons and equip, the Improved Sensors, etc., should help with scouting.  Imagine a Drone using BA Stealth armor and equipment, Drop sensors on hardpoints, TAG, Laser Microphone ...

Lots of potential here.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #22 on: 01 March 2024, 19:34:23 »
As I said yet, they can. But not as effectively as the fluff says. They are "empty boxes" now that go for the battlefield and you can use them to scan enemy blips. But they do that like any other vehicle, same distance, no bonuses, losing the edge they have in the written background.

The edge is still there. The edge was always that they were far cheaper than any manned unit and without risking a pilot.

A Swift Wind costs 83 BV. The two Pathtraks and single Napfind you can get for that same BV will clear a mapsheet far faster than that single scout car, provide three times as many spotters if they find anything, and if one gets blown up, for all practical purposes you don't care.

And that ratio gets far better if you go heavier on Napfinds than Pathtraks.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #23 on: 01 March 2024, 20:52:13 »
Flaming datum from drones means the bad guys still opened fire, and you know they're out there.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 01 March 2024, 21:33:48 »
The edge is still there. The edge was always that they were far cheaper than any manned unit and without risking a pilot.

A Swift Wind costs 83 BV. The two Pathtraks and single Napfind you can get for that same BV will clear a mapsheet far faster than that single scout car, provide three times as many spotters if they find anything, and if one gets blown up, for all practical purposes you don't care.

And that ratio gets far better if you go heavier on Napfinds than Pathtraks.

and if your group requires the control vehicle on the map.. a lance of packrats is 1,376bv.
a single hi-scout with its full complement of 3 napfind and 3 pathtrak drones is 488 bv. which means that i can field three hi-scouts and 9 each of the napfind and pathtrak drones (for a total recon compliment of 21 vehicles, giving more than 4x the recon frontage) for 1464, only 100 more Bv than the packrats.

or i can run two scouts with their drones (for only 3x the recon frontage), and save several hundred bv with which to take a better combat mech. or just use one hi-scout and its drones (for 50% more frontage) and have enough BV to take an extra medium mech.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #25 on: 01 March 2024, 22:24:54 »
I would not say "variant". They should be reworked keeping in mind what they originally were.

But they are exactly what they were, when TRO 3026 came out. They had no Recon ability then, as it didn't exist. They're simply units on the board, which can be used for spotting and sticking their noses in to areas.

Yes, it might be nice to see new versions of drones for the Hi-Scout, with modern abilities. But it's incorrect to say the PathTrack and NapFind were nerfed. They only lost functionality against (hightened) expectations.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 02 March 2024, 01:41:01 »

That's not the edge I'm talking about. I'm talking about the background in the TRO.

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 02 March 2024, 01:42:14 »
a single hi-scout with its full complement of 3 napfind and 3 pathtrak drones is 488 bv

Even the number of drones has been nerfed. Now they are just 5. Have you read the TRO:3039?
« Last Edit: 02 March 2024, 01:44:01 by Mostro Joe »

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 02 March 2024, 01:43:36 »
But they are exactly what they were, when TRO 3026 came out. They had no Recon ability then, as it didn't exist.

They had the equipment that today is disappeared.

If you had read my opening thread, anyway, I'm talking about the SBF system.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 02 March 2024, 02:00:04 »
Even the number of drones has been nerfed. Now they are just 5. Have you read the TRO:3039?
it can control 5. it can carry 6. at least if using 3 of each of the types. (15 tons cargo space. 9 tons of PathTrack drones at three tons each, 6 tons of NapFind drones at two tons each)

the control limit just means it'll retain one drone back as a reserve in case one of the 5 it is controlling is destroyed or disabled. (or since the control can be reapportioned dynamically each turn, just rotate through drones with one staying put each turn)
« Last Edit: 02 March 2024, 02:03:29 by glitterboy2098 »