Author Topic: Ballistic Reinforced Armor vs. LB-X  (Read 365 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Ballistic Reinforced Armor vs. LB-X
« on: 23 May 2024, 11:13:00 »
Hey all,

Did a couple searches because I thought there was a thread on this recently but I couldn't find much newer than 2014 about it--probably just bad search-fu.

Under the errata from BMM, the current rules read like this:

Game Rules: Each point of ballistic-reinforced armor absorbs up to two points of damage from attacks of the DB or M types
before being destroyed. Leftover single points of damage are discarded, but a damage source will always destroy at least one
point of this armor.

So:  You get hit in a mech with BR Armor by a LB-10X.  Lets say 6 pellets hit you and they all hit different locations.  When I read this rule I can see it two ways: 

A.  Since every pellet hits a different location, you get 6 pts of damage from the LB-X and the BR Armor effectively does nothing to help..

B.  Only one point of damage gets done by the LB-X hit? 

Neither of these seem fair to either party.  Anyone know how this works right now?

Cheers,

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Ballistic Reinforced Armor vs. LB-X
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2024, 11:29:38 »
It's A.  I asked when Ballistic-Reinforced came out in FM3145.  Specialty armor affects instances of damage (i.e. each cluster, referred to as a source in that rules passage), not total damage from the weapon used.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2024, 11:34:56 »
It's A.  I asked when Ballistic-Reinforced came out in FM3145.  Specialty armor affects instances of damage (i.e. each cluster, referred to as a source in that rules passage), not total damage from the weapon used.

Yep. In fact, if all 6 of the pellets went to the same location, you're still remove 6 armor, since they're to be treated as 6 distinct events.

Flip side is SRMs only do 1 armor damage each, and the theoretical 3 point damage groups likewise only do 1 damage to the armor, but there's not a lot that is resolved that way that's also DB or M. (Nothing jumps to mind, but maybe I'm overlooking something)
The solution is just ignore Paul.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2024, 12:07:25 »
Thanks for the confirmation.  I won't stray into fan rules territory, but 2 pretty simple logical fixes come to mind. 

As it stands, it makes the LBX a weird outlier and a strong weapon against armor intended to protect against autocannons.  /shrug?

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2024, 12:19:40 »
We count each pip as worth two-damage. So, we'll put a slash through a pip when hit by a weapon that does one point of damage. Versus just filling it in.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2024, 13:34:28 »
A couple of years ago I suggested that since - with the odd exception of single BA troopers and similar - all 1-point hits are cluster weapon, those weapons should get a cluster penalty instead of changed damage vs BR or FL armor. IIRC -4 removed about 50% of hits (assuming <2 means 0 hits).

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2024, 13:39:43 »
Not the place for fan rules, gents.  It's an odd quirk, but the armor already does horrific things to a large number of weapons, it arguably doesn't need to be better.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2024, 14:02:27 »
It probably makes up for being completely neutered by Ferro-Lemellar.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2024, 15:20:40 »
Yep. In fact, if all 6 of the pellets went to the same location, you're still remove 6 armor, since they're to be treated as 6 distinct events.

Flip side is SRMs only do 1 armor damage each, and the theoretical 3 point damage groups likewise only do 1 damage to the armor, but there's not a lot that is resolved that way that's also DB or M. (Nothing jumps to mind, but maybe I'm overlooking something)

The only source for three points of damage I can think of would be HE-ATMs (or the average cluster role for lrm-5s)
Jude Melancon lives!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2024, 16:26:51 »
ATMs hit in clusters of five damage.

Heavy Machine Guns and AP Gauss do three points of damage.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2024, 18:02:25 »
It probably makes up for being completely neutered by Ferro-Lemellar.

IIRC, that was part of the reason for the ruling: total immunity to 1 point damage cluster hits was a unique trait of Ferro-Lemellar Armor.  Other armors weren't going to get it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman