Author Topic: Mech Racing  (Read 864 times)

Metallgewitter

• Captain
Mech Racing
« on: 06 June 2024, 03:43:02 »
Hey guys,

flipping through the Rec Guides: Classics I found a pilot entry in the Ostscout section about a female pilot who took her Ostscout to the racing tracks on Noisiel and still holds several records on the race tracks of Noisiel. I also flipped through Touring the stars: Noisiel but there is no mention of Mech racing or Mech racing tracks. I also found hints for illegal Industrialmech racing events taking place in a lot of places of the Inner Sphere.

So my question is: how would Mech scale racing look like? Would that perhaps be like Olypmic tracks in a stadium with fast Mechs running against each other with no weapons involved? Or racing through tough terrain like mud, swamps (rather Mech rally racing tracks). And would the organizers separate bipedal Mechs from quad Mechs? Would MASC or Superchargers be banned? Would weapons be allowed (Noisiel Mech games allow weapon usage as far as I know)? I coudln't find any hint about how to set up this for a game if that even is possible.

Alan Grant

• Captain
Re: Mech Racing
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2024, 04:43:43 »
I did find one canon reference. FM: Mercenaries Supplemental II, page 18, talks about Noisel and the games. There's a sub-section written by a spectator/participant of the games.

Quote: "But if the shock of seeing one Atlas decorating another for dressing up like Saint Nick wasn’t enough, the show really got started the next day, when the first of the “talent competitions” began. Ever see BattleMechs relay race through a river valley? Or how
about a game of BattleMech football—old American rules, by the look of it? If not, you’re missing out, and let me just say right now
that a Gauss rifle is one hell of a way to sack the quarterback, and five flights of LRMs makes for a hell of a blitz!"

So there's at least a 'mech relay race on Noisel. Which makes sense to me.

I don't think there would be 1 answer either though. More likely several different events with different rules around them. Some would be shorter and perhaps in a track or track-like setting. For a LOT of participants, I think something akin to a cross-country race would be more likely, with tough terrain being a big part of the challenge.

Also don't just think of racing cars as your baseline of comparison. That is valid. But also think about human foot races in the real world. And think about how some of that could be adapted to a 'mech race format. The concept of a relay race being an excellent example.

In real life, think about the array of racing (cars and people/foot) that are out there. The array of different types of races with different rules. I imagine the big Battletech universe would be similar. It is a big universe. What participants are doing on Noisel may look very different from some illegal industrialmech racing like something out of the first Fast and the Furious movie happening on some other world.

As for equipment like MASC or Superchargers. There are real life racing where practically anything goes. If you can afford to buy it, you can use it. And there are other racing structures where things are extremely restricted to level the playing field. I can see both happening. Even within the same set of events, you could have one race where anything goes 'tech wise, and another event by a different name where things are much more restricted. Each entertaining in their own way.

Sounds like Noisel gets to use weapons. Other places may be much more severely restricted and not allow it. Just like how combatants on Solaris and a few other 'mech fight arenas around the Inner Sphere and yet in most other places I'd imagine 'mech use to rely on simulated weapons use.

So no binary answers here. This is definitely an area that seems to exist, yet we know little about it from canon sources. Leaving a lot to your imagination.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2024, 05:41:21 »
Seems like I overread that particular part of the Noisiel games. I was just wondering if there had been an ingame ruleset for Mech races. Though as you stated it is (so far) open to the imagination. I thought it would be akin to classic Olympics like a sprint over a certain distance though of course I would think the rules should ban certain equipment. Perhaps also a race with different weight classes (now I imagine a race with 12 Atlas Mech thundering down a sprint track)

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2024, 06:16:37 »
I've never seen an in-game official ruleset for 'mech racing. I don't think that exists, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I think all we've got is some fluff like that quote I pulled. We don't have rules for 'mech chess or 'mech American Football matches either.

It could be an Olympic style sprint. It could be more like a cross-country race too. And then it could be one of those on Tuesday and the other on Wednesday.

Someone organizing this would be doing it in the name of entertaining spectators right? So odds are you'd see different formats. Not unlike how in the world of sports and Olympics, there isn't 1-2 sports or events, there are a lot of them, and it's not uncommon to hear about the Olympics adding a sport that it didn't include previously.

It's all very much in the name of "oh oh, next time we should do that, the audience would love it!" "Ohhh yeah that would be fun!"

Whatever draws a crowd (and ticket+concession sales+draws attention to the event) is probably going to be tried, at least once.
« Last Edit: 06 June 2024, 06:18:57 by Alan Grant »

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2024, 07:27:48 »
I've never seen an in-game official ruleset for 'mech racing. I don't think that exists, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I think all we've got is some fluff like that quote I pulled. We don't have rules for 'mech chess or 'mech American Football matches either.

Actually there are indeed in game rules for Mech chess and Mech football. The PDF Touring the stars : Noisiel has rules and even the hexmaps for this kind of Mech sport  azn

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2024, 07:47:08 »
Death Race style!

Easily modified for Btech!

Turrets, obstacles, pit-traps, even mechs that competitors have to fight off. Even if it's a slower mech, no biggie, cos they are allowed 'shortcuts' through the field.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2024, 09:28:20 »
Actually there are indeed in game rules for Mech chess and Mech football. The PDF Touring the stars : Noisiel has rules and even the hexmaps for this kind of Mech sport  azn

Oh really? Ok, news to me, thanks!

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2024, 14:19:00 »
I imagine there's all kinds of races, with all kinds of classes. Stock, anything goes, relay, sprinting, drag, rally, racing on ice or other terrain, hurdles for those with jump jets or boosters, space races for jump jets, water races for those with UMUs, obstacle courses, death races, even air/space races for LAMs. If Mechs can do it I'm sure the people of Noisel found a way to make a race of it.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2024, 17:32:03 »
The setting equivalent of hornet racing. 120 rated engines or less only

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2024, 01:37:35 »
Or maybe putting some other restrictions. As I wrote in the opening I found a notable Ostscout pilot who took her Ostscout to several racing tracks on Noisiel and she still holds several track records. And Osscouts are very fast. Unless someone appears with a Fireball or starts to cheat with a Celerity

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2024, 23:51:55 »
I always thought the Locust-6M would make a great racing Battlemech as it's movement is already 14/21/0 without the MASC.
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #11 on: 09 July 2024, 12:08:58 »
Both OG and Nu Solaris VII MapPack.

Rules are simple. Here.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register