Author Topic: Units that do "*" damage plus backshots  (Read 747 times)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
Units that do "*" damage plus backshots
« on: 24 June 2024, 16:59:27 »
I understand that units that do "*" damage, have a 50% chance of doing 0 or 1 damage. But what happens if that unit attacks another unit from behind. Does the "*" round up to one, or does it do * + 1 damage?
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Kastor

• Recruit
  • Clan Woof
Re: Units that do "*" damage plus backshots
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2024, 13:19:22 »
0* can be reduced to 0 damage by a weapon hit critical. Thus I'd assume 0* gets a "by one step" damage upgrade on the 0 / 0* / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 ... damage scale. So from the rear a 0* / 0* / 0 unit does 1 / 1 / 0* damage.

MetalEd

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2024, 13:42:24 »
Attacking in the rear with a 0* attack does 0* + 1 damage.

If you're using SAR, roll once to hit and then a d6 4+ to see if it's one or two damage.
If you're using MAR, roll a separate pair for the 0* and for the 1.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2024, 14:32:23 »
I understand that units that do "*" damage, have a 50% chance of doing 0 or 1 damage. But what happens if that unit attacks another unit from behind. Does the "*" round up to one, or does it do * + 1 damage?
I hadn't thought about it before but that's a very good question.

Attacking in the rear with a 0* attack does 0* + 1 damage.

If you're using SAR, roll once to hit and then a d6 4+ to see if it's one or two damage.
If you're using MAR, roll a separate pair for the 0* and for the 1.
I believe this is the correct answer.
What makes this interesting to me me is this means that if you get behind a unit with
a Ferret VTOL you can get at least 1 damage on the unit if you hit and have a chance
of a second point.  With a dirt cheap unit that can move 30.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2024, 15:27:48 »
the legalese...
The +1 damage from rear is based on a "successful attack".  A successful attack is one that's attack roll ties or exceeds the target number.
You have to be capable of doing damage (there's a separate requirement listed, not a 0 stat at that range), but you don't need to roll the 0* and get 1.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets