Author Topic: Does Boosted C3 reset the C3/ECM playing field?  (Read 441 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Does Boosted C3 reset the C3/ECM playing field?
« on: 08 August 2024, 14:14:50 »
With Boosted C3 coming out and being able to tie in regular C3 does it reset the 3150 battlefield to late 3050s when ECM was not so widespread?

Considering to take it out requires Angel ECM which is not quite as prevalent.  With ECCM rules being advanced this makes the equipment less of a dead weight.

Does BMM cover the ruling of regular C3 linking to a Boosted network?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: Does Boosted C3 reset the C3/ECM playing field?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2024, 17:35:11 »
There arent really enough good variants of boosted C3 units, so when you combined with regular C3, ECM works just like normal and ruins the link.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2024, 20:16:24 »
The basic C3 and boosted variant are compatible, but the strengthened network is made only if both ends are boosted. So, if a normal hostile ECM field is between a C3 and a boosted C3 of either slave or master, it cuts down the line.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2024, 21:15:46 »
I understand that part, the last question was if it was listed in BMM- which I do not have.

TBH, I am looking at running a Boosted network with a regular C3 as a spotter b/c it has the desired mobility, which Boosted spotters do not.  Kind of weird b/c THAT is the one often times cut from the network due to needing positioning.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2024, 21:36:27 »
I wonder that BMM does, for... I don't have BMM but isn't a replacement or substitute of TW? Isn't it the standard tech only? I remember that boosted C3 is an advanced tech equipment.

Well if you can afford that, a boosted C3 slave and a master would contribute to the company as the spotter and the receiver, but it seems that there wasn't the good spotter units with boosted C3.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2024, 22:39:23 »
What I found among mechs were 5/8 or at best 6/9 for Boosted, some were jumping.  TBH, I was looking for something like the Ostscout- survivable with the ability to move.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2024, 00:06:56 »
I wonder that BMM does, for... I don't have BMM but isn't a replacement or substitute of TW? Isn't it the standard tech only? I remember that boosted C3 is an advanced tech equipment.

BMM includes some advanced tech- most of the advanced tech that showed up on mechs in the Recognition Guides was from BMM.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2024, 00:38:47 »
Yes, the BMM includes both Boosted C3 and the ruling that it is interoperable with regular C3.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2024, 05:02:23 »
Oh thanks so I understand why OP need to had the question for that. So BMM does have some advanced techs but uses the simplified version if it would be complicated. For this reason make both types of C3 incompatible is actually reasonable.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2024, 07:29:57 »
Boosted C3 seems to be wasted tonnage . I found fielding Angel ECM doing ECCM and moving in formation with heavy and Assault units either prevents C3 from getting broken or you have 2 or 3  targets with ECM suites in close true range asking to be destroyed.  Also on the plus side having a fast combat vehicle come in with a C3 remote sensor launcher after you start losing units does not work with Boosted C3 . Also having units outfitted with an emergency master also does not work with Boosted C3 . Same applies to C3i .
« Last Edit: 10 August 2024, 07:36:10 by Col Toda »

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2024, 07:35:43 »
Boosted C3 seems to be wasted tonnage . I found fielding Angel ECM doing ECCM and moving in formation with heavy and Assault units either prevents C3 from getting broken or you have 2 or 3  targets with ECM suites in close true range asking to be destroyed.  Also on the plus side having a fast combat vehicle come in with a C3 remote sensor launcher after you start losing units does not work with Boosted C3 .

The problem is the virtual line between each unit could be cut down by the ECM bubble as well. They does not have to be within the opponent's ECCM bubble to nullify that.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2024, 12:12:54 »
Boosted C3 seems to be wasted tonnage . I found fielding Angel ECM doing ECCM and moving in formation with heavy and Assault units either prevents C3 from getting broken or you have 2 or 3  targets with ECM suites in close true range asking to be destroyed.  Also on the plus side having a fast combat vehicle come in with a C3 remote sensor launcher after you start losing units does not work with Boosted C3 . Also having units outfitted with an emergency master also does not work with Boosted C3 . Same applies to C3i .

Cutting Boosted requires Angel or Nova CEWS (restricted to Homeworlds, maybe Scorpions have some) which is not as prevalent as Guardian, Clan, or the Watchdog system.  Actually looking at TacOps Nova does not block it, but I would bet that would change if it was not a 'dead' piece of equipment- just compare the rules.  Further while I think ECCM should be a basic rule, it is deemed Advanced and thus not something to rely on being available to use any ECM to protect your networks.

Since we have fewer units mounting Angel, my contention is that Boosted C3 resets to late 3050s when finding ECM on the battlefield was not as easy as it was even 5 years later.
Colt Ward