Author Topic: MW5 - Rant  (Read 8679 times)

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
MW5 - Rant
« on: 10 October 2022, 10:07:56 »
Returning to the game after a very early playthrough at launch. This game is now phenomenal with all the updates & DLC. The closet Davion fanboy in me is especially loving the Kestrel Lancers missions RN!

Why is no one talking about MW5, anymore? Just, old hat? Seems like such a gem. I'm impressed by how much has been completely reworked / updated. I find it hard ot put down... "Just one more drop, I swear!!" 

MarauderD

• Major
Re: MW5 - Rant
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2022, 10:45:38 »
I think for me (played 1/2 the game back when it was released) it was simply the idea of increased difficulty through swarms of enemies. 
1. Not very interesting missions
2. Too many Cicadas and Locusts.  Why is everything a Cicada or Locust?
3. Too many vehicle swarms. 
4. Clueless AI

All the usual culprits.  I think I'm at a spot in life where I'm so busy, a game needs to really grab me to have me want to focus my hobby time on a video game.  MW5 didn't do it:  which was interesting, because I thought HBS BattleTech was amazing, and did several careers and campaign playthroughs.  To each their own, I guess?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2022, 10:53:04 »
Returning to the game after a very early playthrough at launch. This game is now phenomenal with all the updates & DLC. The closet Davion fanboy in me is especially loving the Kestrel Lancers missions RN!

Why is no one talking about MW5, anymore? Just, old hat? Seems like such a gem. I'm impressed by how much has been completely reworked / updated. I find it hard ot put down... "Just one more drop, I swear!!"

I still enjoy it on xbox been a while but it's good
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
Re: I was told there would be a rant.
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2022, 10:58:56 »
The moment to moment 'mech combat is great. Top notch. Every moment that I'm in a 'mech shooting the arm off of an Urbanmech, it's joy. The multiplayer is inspired, even if my guest is roleplaying the part of a mechwarrior chained to a tool locker in the 'mech bay until we deploy.

Even putting aside the canonical implications that were necessary to make the game part of the game work (the industrial hubs, the combat zones, the Inner Sphere itself having difficulty levels, the occasional Marik vs. Lyran missions in Capellan space, etc.), the moments outside of 'mech combat are woeful.

The reputation system is unnavigable. In my first playthrough everyone hated me because taking a DC vs FS mission followed by a FS vs DC mission meant that both hated me slightly more instead of understanding that my job as a mercenary is to shoot people for money.

My mechwarriors have names and one even has a story, but they all have skill caps which mean they get spaced let go the minute better RNG Mechwarriors show up. The salvage system actively punishes you for leaving enemy mechs in larger parts because a headless Rifleman costs way more in salvage than one that's just a cockpit.

And while I'm glad Paul Masters is no longer preventing 'unfair' combat drops when I'm 5 tons overweight, I still object a little bit to the update that limits him to giving me a red card and a fine instead.

The varied terrain doesn't forestall the feeling that I'm spending enough time in box canyons to shoot a Red versus Blue remake. Granted, time feels like nothing because there's six mission types that I'm grinding the shit out of and I'm glad the DLC added cantina jobs so I have something to show for the Warrior VTOL genocide that defines my career beyond any quest for revenge--

--revenge for my stupid dad who had a Victor and decided to solo a King Crab instead of jumping over the rubble with his ****** jump jets because of the deliberate story decision to give him one of, like, two assault 'mechs with jump jets. Must be that top-tier Clan training he apparently has.

And speaking of friends, maybe it's because I'm American and ill-bred, but every time Ryanna and Fahid open their mouths I want to shut them again with a Heavy Rifle and an air strike. Darius in HBS Battletech got on my last ****** nerve by warning me about the incoming LRM volley that already hit me--thanks friendo--but Ryanna's constant tutorial for bonus salvage is the strongest motivator to start a career in modding just so I can shut her up.

I got one DLC pack and that includes beachhead missions which are amazing and a few more special missions definitely liven things up, even if the 'mech customization system makes it a little hard to get excited over one bonus weapon, even if it's a legitimately good one.

But I just stuck a trio of rank 3 ER Large Lasers onto an Awesome with enough heat sinks to freeze the gods' lemonade and it's been absolutely bliss to perform laser cockpit surgery on every ****** who get within a kilometer of me while still being free to punch a hole clean through the impertinent Jenners who get too close because they have a 'mech full of SRM ammo and a death wish.

I hit at least three missions a week in my second playthrough. Considering buying the new DLC.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2022, 11:04:04 by VanVelding »
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2022, 11:04:22 »
but Ryanna's constant tutorial for bonus salvage is the strongest motivator to start a career in modding just so I can shut her up.

Honestly, I don;t mind her Telling me about Salvage, because maybe I'm not looking that way, so it's a queue to pause a moment and look for it.

But, Yeah it's a blast I enjoy and every once and a while I go back to it.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2022, 14:45:05 »
Why is no one talking about MW5, anymore?

I am busy with MechWarrior Online.  ;)

Ensuring that we will not lose on caps:

Playing against other people can be fun too, remember?  :)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2022, 16:07:19 »
I am busy with MechWarrior Online.  ;)

Ensuring that we will not lose on caps:

Playing against other people can be fun too, remember?  :)

Wish it worked on Xbox
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2022, 17:49:14 »
Its just old hat. I'm PokeMeching a vanilla playthrough and barely scratched surface of mods, but generally at a lower ebb even compared to MWO which keeps coming out with reasons to grind (finishing Platnium 7 at present for example) and as Martian mentioned people breathe life into things.

MW5 release was definitely a rocky start, but even if it had launched Call to Arms level back in 2019 I wonder how much longevity it would have had.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2022, 17:56:49 »
Its just old hat. I'm PokeMeching a vanilla playthrough and barely scratched surface of mods, but generally at a lower ebb even compared to MWO which keeps coming out with reasons to grind (finishing Platnium 7 at present for example) and as Martian mentioned people breathe life into things.

MW5 release was definitely a rocky start, but even if it had launched Call to Arms level back in 2019 I wonder how much longevity it would have had.

I have all the DLC they know what they are doing I just wish they had more time to develop it more

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2022, 18:31:58 »
I'm trying to get the Clan Invasion mod to work on my MW5 installation right now because I'm too impatient to wait for a Clan MechWarrior title.  I've really enjoyed the MercTech mod as it brought MW5 the closest to MW2 in 'mech simulation than MW3 or MW4 ever did.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2022, 10:49:57 »
i gave up on it after endless spawns and despite training mission showing a repair bay i never found one again
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2022, 11:36:20 »
Honestly, I don;t mind her Telling me about Salvage, because maybe I'm not looking that way, so it's a queue to pause a moment and look for it.
That's what I don't get. Was the voice acting budget so tight they couldn't get her (or a mechwarrior) to add an "I found some salvage" or "Looks like some good stuff over here" line to cycle through? Every time it's the first day of Salvage Recovery 101; here's your syllabus and pacifier.

But they did make sure to cram in 12 identically-unhelpful "new enemies" barks which don't tell me where in the ****** those enemies are coming from--even though you gave me this nice compass marker on my HUD, MW5--which makes her saying anything redundant because sans being helpful, it's just Rayanna reminding me that the mission isn't over yet. Thanks game, but I'm not a narcoleptic and you're not that boring.

I'd rather have her tutorialize than say nothing while I walk past $5 of equipment and war materiel that I'm legally(?) appropriating for my private corporation, but it's a near thing.

It's like elf25s' mention of the repair bay; another interesting mechanic in a game that needs interesting mechanics but seems to ****** stubbornly refuse to use the interesting mechanics it has.

I like that they eventually rolled the salvage mechanic into the cantina missions. That was clever.

FWIW, I play on Steam and I'd be down to play a few missions some afternoon.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2022, 12:45:38 »
i gave up on it after endless spawns and despite training mission showing a repair bay i never found one again

I think there's one more in the game its really annoying

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2022, 14:55:17 »
I'm trying to get the Clan Invasion mod to work on my MW5 installation right now...

I've not tried the Clan invasion mod, but all the mods I have tried add lots of flavor. I do wish moders would keep things updated on the steam workshop. It's so much simpler. However, I think everything in the workshop is out of date, and very buggy. Thankfully Nexus mods has everything I need (so far).

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2022, 15:12:33 »
i have literally hundreds of unplayed games in my steam and gog libraries. games that don't resonate strongly don't get a second look these days

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2022, 18:37:46 »
Well, funny you should start the thread - I am literally installing MW5 for the first time at this very moment, having just finished my latest Rimworld game.

I haven't used my joystick (Thrustmaster 16000M) for YEARS, but it seems to still be okay according the the diagnostics. I think I last used it when I did a TIE Fighter playthrough on giant in the playground... And that was 2014.

(I think I replaced the previous joystick with it in anticpation for Star Citizen/Squadron 42, that was silly of me wasn't it!)

It's been even longer since I played MW3 (which I quite liked, but never finished; I only played MW4 a bit wehn borrowed from a mate).

I got all the DLC (I've had this for a few months now, no rush, I don't tend to play things until tyhey at least reach a state of "completed" or a good year or so into ongoing support.)

So then, are there any mods You Should Really Not Play Without or anything else useful I really need to know before I start?

(It's not like I will be actually playing tonight, I suspect what little time is left after the install will be configuring my joystick... Since (typically) there's not a profile for MW5, at least not one that doesn't expect my to have TWO sticks.)

I should note I'm in this for the single player... And ultimate, like all previous BattleTech games, I'm likely to be wanting to spend the bulk of the time in the mech bay fiddling with bits as I get new toys to play with. I will likely play the campaigns, though, because I do work best when given an endpoint.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer