Author Topic: which mech is the stupidest looking (visually)  (Read 25335 times)

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
Re: which mech is the stupidest looking (visually)
« Reply #150 on: 11 January 2013, 08:45:47 »
Yeoman...hands-down.

I agree and I see what you did there.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #151 on: 11 January 2013, 08:51:35 »
You're not partial to it! You've actively refused to use the damned thing in games, you lying sack of Davion!  ;D

Ah yes, I believe my quote (which shall forever live in infamy) was, "I do not want that walking waffle-maker in my Mercenary Unit!!!!!!"  ;D

[EDIT] And now, that I look at my original quote, it does sound like I like the mech. I don't. Really...
« Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 08:55:12 by Redshirt »
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #152 on: 11 January 2013, 09:17:32 »
The yeoman, the stalker, the Flashman, the hussar.

The Stalker has a bunch of potential. I like the look of it in MWO better.

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #153 on: 11 January 2013, 11:40:24 »
TAGE }:)
Life: Some assembly required!

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #154 on: 11 January 2013, 14:00:16 »
The yeoman, the stalker, the Flashman, the hussar.

The Stalker has a bunch of potential. I like the look of it in MWO better.

I like the look of ALL the MWO mechs better. I demand re-sculpts!  :D

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #155 on: 11 January 2013, 14:40:38 »
You're not partial to it! You've actively refused to use the damned thing in games, you lying sack of Davion!  ;D
I must now paint the waffle iron in Waffle House colors and demand it be an unofficial warrior house of Liao!  O0
Thank you for this inspiration.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #156 on: 11 January 2013, 14:48:08 »
I like the look of ALL the MWO mechs better. I demand re-sculpts!  :D

-Gunz

Mostly agree.

Hunchbacks are simply amazing...and I hope the HBK-4N is included soon.

Catapults look awesome, especially the K-variant.

While I really like the Centurion, and the soon to be released Trebuchet (pardon the anticipation-drool  [drool]) I do miss the movable head.  I understand why MWO designs are the way the are and think they look great, but the beat-up Trebuchet on the cover of that Merc sourcebook is hard to beat.  Still, the MWO versions rock.

Raven is improved...lamented the lack of a "beaky-er" look at first but it has grown on me.

Commando is slick, tho the monocle bugs me...and the minis we have are awesome.

Awesome is its namesake, especially the variants.

Stalker is much improved and logical (even though it is too small in game).

Dragon...meh...probably cuz I liked some of the cockpits on the concepts more than the final in-game mech, but it does look good.

Spider...meh.  Head/cockpit thing again.

Orion is a huge disappointment.  Bad proportions and the cockpit is simply to big and altogether wrong.  May be better in actual game, but the concept art "hurt"...which was shocking given FD's amazing work.  Who'd have thought the Helios could look so bad-ass. 

I have to admit though, I had a bad feeling about the Orion after I saw the Blackjack.  Cockpit is wrong on that one too.  Rest of it is perfect, but I miss the smaller, character creating cockpit viewports on both the Orion and Blackjack.

Jagermech has the same issue, though not as glaring and I miss the thicker, "armored cooling jacket" look of the ACs in the original artwork, but overall it also corrects some original goofiness.

Atli look great and correct some long standing WTF design concerns.

Cicada...finally.  Excellent.

Flea...heheh.  Neat.

Cataphract...WOW.  Nailed it.  Best it has ever looked.  The variants are amazing.  While I like the SRM-4 on the CTF-2X better on the orginal artwork (inline on the side of the arm), the way it is done in MWO is logical and keeps with the design of the mech.  Nicely done!   O0

If these were to be sculpted, or preferably models created...well "YOU GOT TO BUY IT! BUY! BUY! MECHWARRIOR ONLINE!" <---apologies to South Park's excellent Chinpokomon advertising jingle. ;D
« Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 14:49:57 by Burning Chrome »
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #157 on: 11 January 2013, 16:08:33 »
One of the ugliest mechs not mentioned yet i can think of is the grendal. Great mech, blah look. Another I'm not really partial to that i haven't seen mentioned is the testbed mech for the heavy lasers... can't think if the name off hand... hellsomethin...
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #158 on: 11 January 2013, 17:46:22 »
I'm partial to the Grendal... liked the art when I first saw it in 3058.

Hellfire is the Adder heavy laser test bed.  Neutral on it.  Sometimes I like it, sometimes I think it's goofy.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #159 on: 11 January 2013, 18:04:23 »

Hellfire is the Adder heavy laser test bed.  Neutral on it.  Sometimes I like it, sometimes I think it's goofy.

It seems like it would be a good 'Mech until that MASC fails and you're stuck with short-ranged weapons. :)
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #160 on: 12 January 2013, 15:01:23 »
I always liked the look of the Hellfire though the miniature falls very short of the art. The Spirit however, now there is a fugly mech.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #161 on: 14 January 2013, 00:58:03 »
That's it... the hellfire. The art is great, the mini falls short.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #162 on: 20 January 2013, 17:23:54 »
MWDA cougar. They made it as big as the Jupiter! And they did not match it's leg chassis with the Kit Fox
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #163 on: 20 January 2013, 18:08:33 »
Thats what you get for outsourcing the sculpting to a 'cheap labor' company. Scale creep galore!  :o

-Gunz

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #164 on: 20 January 2013, 19:12:56 »
*sigh* I hope to fix the size issue by replacing the MWDA cougars legs with MWDA kit fox legs. It will look a lot more like the MW4 cougar I think, and it will look like a light mech
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #165 on: 20 January 2013, 23:30:57 »
Always thought the MWDA Panther was one of the worst offenders of the games original launch. I can forgive the Road Warrior + Spawn look on the Atlas but did they really need to give the Panther a troll face?
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #166 on: 20 January 2013, 23:35:25 »
Always thought the MWDA Panther was one of the worst offenders of the games original launch. I can forgive the Road Warrior + Spawn look on the Atlas but did they really need to give the Panther a troll face?

O0 It's a honest candidature for Unseens.

WarMonkey

• Master Sergeant
  • Beware the might of the Falcon, freebirths!
« Reply #167 on: 21 January 2013, 01:25:12 »
I DO NOT like the MWDA Hatchetman. Utter garbage IMHO. The MWDA Panther mentioned above is also trash. Some other mechs look goofy or ugly, but those two got clobbered by the ugly stick so bad that it broke!
Winning......it beats losing!

Aidan Pryde is my hero!

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #168 on: 21 January 2013, 01:58:47 »
MWDA Uziel looks good, but too small. Also never really cared for the Vulture design in that game either. Targe just asks to be used for spare parts.

JSandoval

• Recruit
    • Plus Ten To Awesome
« Reply #169 on: 21 January 2013, 18:59:56 »
How about the friggin Baboon!

I remember getting this book and thinking to myself, "They are not even trying any more are they?"

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #170 on: 21 January 2013, 19:27:20 »

I remember getting this book and thinking to myself, "They are not even trying any more are they?"

I have thought that from time to time myself.  Starting with the first TRo 3050.  When a lot of the clan mechs were laid out like frontside drawings in a intro to design class.  I guess i got spoiled drooling over the TRO 3025 drawings by Loose

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #171 on: 21 January 2013, 19:28:37 »
Always  kinda liked the Baboon. At least the mini is incredibly faithful tot the art. Speaking of simians....how about this guy for ugly/improbable.

While the mini is very faithful to the art I still maintain this should be a quad design.  ;D

-Gunz

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #172 on: 21 January 2013, 22:37:47 »
While we are talking about monkey business..

Same here, the Grendal and Shadow Cat fit in with the other classic Clan designs far better than most, the Mini could use some more detail but I can ask the same for the Cougar.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #173 on: 22 January 2013, 01:41:15 »
The Falcon always looked like a monkey to me as well. Not a bad mech...but ugly. I personally always sort of liked the Babboon myself.

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA