Author Topic: which mech is the stupidest looking (visually)  (Read 25336 times)

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: which mech is the stupidest looking (visually)
« Reply #60 on: 20 August 2012, 19:34:15 »
I really don't understand all the PP Crusader hate. I happen to like that mini. I am not a fan of the first two Blood Asp sculpts.
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 20 August 2012, 19:37:51 »
I really don't understand all the PP Crusader hate. I happen to like that mini. I am not a fan of the first two Blood Asp sculpts.

I think that there's a lot of hate for the PP minis that is a product of the fact that they're just *different* from the originals (out of necessity) even though by many standards they're actually better-looking miniatures than the originals.

That being said, I don't really like the Crusader all that much either, but it's still better than about 80% of BTs minis. :D

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #62 on: 20 August 2012, 21:28:21 »
It's funny that people don't like the Celestials.  They are amazing minis, some of the best BT has *ever* produced.  Most BT minis, people who don't play the game think look like crap.  Every time I show one of these same people a Celestial, they're like, "oh, that's cool, what game is that from?"
Personally I'm not fond of the way they are styled. But I do acknowledge they are different. Wether or not that is a good thing remains to be seen. It was meant to be a departure from the norm (whatever that may be :)) in Battletech Universe. And they seem to polarize peoples aesthetic views.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #63 on: 20 August 2012, 21:56:21 »
I hate the reseen Crusader because it looks like Mecha' Popeye, all it needs is a pip and a sailor hat

I do like the Celestials, I guess it comes down to taste. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 20 August 2012, 23:46:56 »
I happen to really like the Celestials too, some of the variants look really good in my opinion. 

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #65 on: 21 August 2012, 02:45:26 »
The Cossak,it looks far more worse than a Yeoman.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #66 on: 21 August 2012, 02:50:17 »
I think there are some that are matters of taste and a few designs which are universally despised. Those are the minority, thankfully. :)
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: 21 August 2012, 14:16:25 »
I hate the reseen Crusader because it looks like Mecha' Popeye, all it needs is a pip and a sailor hat

I do like the Celestials, I guess it comes down to taste.
I would have liked the Crusader Reseen, but for those silly looking launchers. They were not a bad idea, just too BIG. Had they made the diameter a touch thinner it would have looked good. I understand the 7 points of difference thing so they couldn't make them boxy like the old one.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 21 August 2012, 14:48:09 »
I would have liked the Crusader Reseen, but for those silly looking launchers. They were not a bad idea, just too BIG. Had they made the diameter a touch thinner it would have looked good. I understand the 7 points of difference thing so they couldn't make them boxy like the old one.

I think, actually, rather than making the launchers smaller, they should have bulked up the rest of the mini to fit the art better.  That's one of the problems with a lot of the reseen minis is that they're significantly skinnier than the art depicts.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 21 August 2012, 20:00:00 »
True enuff.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #70 on: 22 August 2012, 06:37:10 »
Several of the old 3055 minis are an eyesore.

Jackal, Daimyo, Thunder (especially the legs), Rakshasa, Gunslinger, Grand Titan...

but my despicable Nr. 1 would be the War Dog. Where is the hip of this thing? Right under its armpits? Where do i cramp an entire reactor in this thing?
Plog did a good job in redesigning the old artwork, but the mini is still an abomination.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: 22 August 2012, 06:38:40 »
Several of the old 3055 minis are an eyesore.

Jackal, Daimyo, Thunder (especially the legs), Rakshasa, Gunslinger, Grand Titan...

but my despicable Nr. 1 would be the War Dog. Where is the hip of this thing? Right under its armpits? Where do i cramp an entire reactor in this thing?
Plog did a good job in redesigning the old artwork, but the mini is still an abomination.
I kinda like the Rakshasha and the Gunslinger.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #72 on: 22 August 2012, 06:57:13 »
I kinda like the Rakshasha and the Gunslinger.

For what they can do, but the minis are still underwhelming.
The Rakshasa looks like it ran into a hardened building without knowing it was hardened and the Gunslingers arms... omg. These tiny bits should hold an entire gauss rifle?

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 22 August 2012, 07:34:30 »
I admit that the minis weren't so good, but i do like the Rakshasha. I may be drowning in my own nostalgia. But it was the first of the post 3050's i bought, along with the Bushwacker.

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
« Reply #74 on: 22 August 2012, 08:31:04 »
Yeoman, no question.  A hunk of **** that never should have been made.  They could have made something that looks more like an Archer or Longbow if they wanted to give it LRMs...

Runner-up is the Reseen Crusader, which looks nothing like the Unseen Crusader, and its weapons placement appears to be totally different.

Honorable mention is the Thunder Hawk, which is a GREAT head-capping Inner Sphere 'Mech on paper, but which should have looked more like a 100-ton Phoenix Hawk rather than the dorky-looking miniature they decided to make.  I picked on the Thunder Hawk because it outdoes the Devastator design-wise, but the miniature is nowhere near as cool-looking, and so I don't like the Thunder Hawk.
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #75 on: 22 August 2012, 10:05:18 »
Honorable mention is the Thunder Hawk, which is a GREAT head-capping Inner Sphere 'Mech on paper, but which should have looked more like a 100-ton Phoenix Hawk

Why?

Gromik

• Sergeant
« Reply #76 on: 22 August 2012, 10:26:04 »
My first post is a negative one?  Oh well.

I can't decide between the Jagermech III and Yeoman.  I've hated the look of the Yeoman since I first saw it in the TRO.  Jagermech III isn't a terrible mech (FS are my preferred IS faction), but the mini is disappointing.  The TRO art didn't look anywhere near as bad as the mini.  The legs are way too thin and rigid, the torso looks way out of proportion, and the arms make the legs look even more comical.   The first (?) sculpt of the Blood Asp deserves an honorable mention for mismatched upper/lower body proportions.  The too-close-together tiny legs just make it look ready to topple over on its face.  I love the most recent skulpt, though, and have had to stop myself from buying a third & fourth one on multiple occasions.

There are a few minis that are so odd-looking I refuse to buy them: Rakshasa (even though I like it as an IS mech!), Jagermech III, Yeoman, Albatross. 

I don't hate the reseen Crusader as some people appear to, but I much prefer the unseen.  So much so that I bought one recently.  I think the unseen/reseen are a mixed bag.  I love the unseen and reseen Marauders/Warhammers.  Not a fan of unseen Phoenix Hawk/Battlemaster (anything holding a gun in its hand strikes me as silly).  Big fan of the unseen Behemoth thanks to MW2 GBL.  LOVE the reseen Rifleman and will probably get one of each by the end of the year (have two 8Ds now). 

-Grom

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 22 August 2012, 12:18:46 »
Why?

Well, I'm not the guy you're responding to, but I don't like it because it suffers from the same "potato with guns" syndrome that many mechs of the era did.

Fullback

• Corporal
« Reply #78 on: 23 August 2012, 07:04:53 »
The stupiest looking mechs for me are the Osiris Chimera and Argus.
They just look like an cubistic experiment in the Battletech universe.

Talking about the Celestials, they are the most awesome miniatures ever made for Battletech.
I can understand people, who donĀ“t like the style, but those minis are the first really true configurable mechs ever made.
Thinking about the 3050 Omnis as the first step, the Celestials were the really first true omnimechs, talking about the miniatures.
There is really no config you cannot build with just some little mixing of parts. Nearly no heavy modifikation is requiered.

I wish there would be more mechs made like the celestials.
Talking about the miniature concept and not the style.

Coldstone

• Master Sergeant
  • Every battle is a lesson, waiting to be learned.
« Reply #79 on: 23 August 2012, 10:02:23 »
Well, the Yeoman gets my vote too.

But I consider to get one though.

A paint job with some local Beer trademarks would be apropriate.

Licher Bier or in you Amercans taste Duff would be a cool idea. ;).

So the next yeoman is not a reinforcement unit but a refreshment unit ;). Who wants a beer?  [cheers]
There's not to make reply
there's not to reason why
there's but to do, and die.
Into the valley of death rode the 600.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #80 on: 23 August 2012, 15:12:25 »
Well, I'm not the guy you're responding to, but I don't like it because it suffers from the same "potato with guns" syndrome that many mechs of the era did.

Potato with guns? Explain please.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 23 August 2012, 15:16:33 »
Many of them have generally bulbous bodies with gun ports sticking out, and lots of panel lines to try to pass for "detail." It reminds me of a "potato with guns."

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #82 on: 23 August 2012, 15:51:52 »
Many of them have generally bulbous bodies with gun ports sticking out, and lots of panel lines to try to pass for "detail." It reminds me of a "potato with guns."

Ah, yes.  see. I am inclined to agree with you then.

Ooh, I got one. The Maelstrom. That think is all kinds of ugly!

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 23 August 2012, 16:09:29 »
Yes, definitely another victim of "potato with guns" syndrome.

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 23 August 2012, 16:31:42 »
The Stalker

Hands down, I don't even want o describe what it looks like. I might get banned.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #85 on: 23 August 2012, 16:35:26 »
The Stalker

Hands down, I don't even want o describe what it looks like. I might get banned.

It looks like cartoon clip art of a walking bullet.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #86 on: 23 August 2012, 17:25:30 »
I know it's fugly, but the Stalker is one of my favorites. It could certainly use an official CBT art update overhaul. The legs always look so...funky.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 23 August 2012, 17:28:38 »
I know it's fugly, but the Stalker is one of my favorites. It could certainly use an official CBT art update overhaul. The legs always look so...funky.

If it had a redesigned torso and reverse-jointed legs it could actually be cool looking. It's one of those mechs that has *great* stats that I just can't bring myself to use because I hate the mini.  Give us a mini faithful to the MWO art, on the other hand, and I'll drop it on the table in a heart beat.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 23 August 2012, 18:42:57 »
The Stalker pic on the back of the original citytech box looked oh so much better!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #89 on: 23 August 2012, 19:28:00 »
If it had a redesigned torso and reverse-jointed legs it could actually be cool looking. It's one of those mechs that has *great* stats that I just can't bring myself to use because I hate the mini.  Give us a mini faithful to the MWO art, on the other hand, and I'll drop it on the table in a heart beat.

Someone posted a Stalker body on Cataphract legs, which I think you'd find appealling!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"