Author Topic: A new and totally revamped MegaMekLab release  (Read 5880 times)

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
A new and totally revamped MegaMekLab release
« on: 27 January 2013, 23:25:06 »
Those who have had the pleasure of using it, know that MegaMekLab has had a rather ...unintuitive... interface, to be gracious. Full of wide open unused space, random buttons, and with a tendency to reset everything on your Mek when you do anything, it perhaps hasn't been as shiny as it could be.

Well, no more. We are happy to announce a completely revamped MegaMekLab interface that is intuitive and straightforward to use. Also, it doesn't reset your mek aribtrarily anymore. We have added a few new features as well including a sortable filterable equipment table that lets you get to the exact piece of equipment you want very quickly, text and html exports, and a preview tab that gives you a TRO-style readout as you build your unit. To whet appetites even further, this release also contains a builder for conventional infantry.

This revamp is still a work in progress. For one thing, the tank and battlearmor builders are still their same old ugly selves. We also have quite a few more things on our list to help streamline the interface, but we wanted to let people see what we have been up to.

You can get this latest version of MegaMekLab at the downloads page at megamek.info. We also now have dedicated windows and mac builds as well as the jar files for those who prefer that method. You can safely drag and drop the jar, EXE, or OSXApp into your MegaMek folder as well without worrying about version compatibility, because the release now containts its own built-in megamek release.

Below are some screen shots of the new look:

MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

Arkaris

• Master Sergeant
Re: A new and totally revamped MegaMekLab release
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2013, 23:53:16 »
Wow very nice!

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2013, 00:02:44 »
 :o Wow, i'm impressed.....it looks great O0

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2013, 00:13:35 »
Oh man if this version of MegamekLab was walking down the street I'd pick it up so fast, take it out to dinner, go to a nice little bar afterwards before bringing it back home and playing with its settings all night long.

Downloading pronto.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2013, 10:33:29 »
Thanks!  Really looking forward to trying this out!
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2013, 12:22:36 »
Oh, and I forgot to note: that hideous excuse for an icon - yeah, thats me. I figure the worse I make it, the more likely that someone with a modicum of artist skill will actually produce a nice one.

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2013, 13:23:28 »
Amazing work - I'll see if I can offer some general commentary later, but thanks so much for the effort.  Builder support is always greatly appreciated.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2013, 13:23:45 »
Oh, and I forgot to note: that hideous excuse for an icon - yeah, thats me. I figure the worse I make it, the more likely that someone with a modicum of artist skill will actually produce a nice one.

I'm working on it I'm working on it!

Just let me get an abstract done for my adviser first. :)

<sheesh>
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2013, 18:59:11 »
Is the battle armor section still incomplete? it locks up every time i do anything with it.....

Also i noticed that the supercharger disappeared in this version

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2013, 20:45:59 »
Is the battle armor section still incomplete? it locks up every time i do anything with it.....

Probably not. I have no idea honestly as I haven't touched the code there.

Also i noticed that the supercharger disappeared in this version

Yes, which is odd because I remember testing that out on a unit not too long ago. Not to worry, we will find it.

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2013, 20:46:39 »
I'm working on it I'm working on it!

Just let me get an abstract done for my adviser first. :)

Hey, it worked!

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2013, 20:57:03 »
Probably not. I have no idea honestly as I haven't touched the code there.

Yes, which is odd because I remember testing that out on a unit not too long ago. Not to worry, we will find it.
Ok, thanks, i'm more interested in the Mech and Vehicle part of the program.....

BTW, a heads up to all that are working on this program, i noticed that the ammo for the cruise missile artillery has no weight, plus i can select it in the weapons menu, but then it disappears in the build menu

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2013, 01:40:56 »
Got some trouble with the vehicle part, when re-creating the Gabriel it shows up a full ton underweight, it's counting the turret, but not for some reason two of: Structure, Lift/Drive and Controls or for some reason not counting the engine weight

The BA section needs work, for some reason when I try to create a new PA(L) the status bar down the bottom says it's over weight (it does validate fine but) and when I add more equipment the weight doesn't change

Also the weapons tab needs work, it's not limiting them by era or weather or not they can be mounted on that unit type

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2013, 02:02:39 »
Well I'll have to see if I can apply my house rule fixes to this new version as well but that could be a little tougher since the Megamek is built in and I still don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong in my compiler script from my last attempt.

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2013, 07:28:35 »
Also the weapons tab needs work, it's not limiting them by era or weather or not they can be mounted on that unit type

I don't see that being a good idea. What if I want to fudge an intro date or something? I've never liked it when design editors take over what the human brain should be doing.

BeeRockxs

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2013, 07:39:33 »
Filtering by allowed unit type should be in. If it's not working for some equipments, please post a bug report.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2013, 08:08:16 »
Sweet!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #17 on: 29 January 2013, 11:21:16 »

Had the same problem and the weights always show over.  I did open a bug report on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/p/megameklab/bugs/36/) but it shows closed as of this morning but when I try to build BA with this release the program hangs.  I wasn't able to generate a log file this time.

Also want to say thanks for all the work on this.  Looks great and is a huge improvement!
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 29 January 2013, 11:54:28 »
Had the same problem and the weights always show over.  I did open a bug report on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/p/megameklab/bugs/36/) but it shows closed as of this morning but when I try to build BA with this release the program hangs.  I wasn't able to generate a log file this time.

Also want to say thanks for all the work on this.  Looks great and is a huge improvement!

Considering the bug report says it was fixed/closed 4 hours ago, I doubt it made it into the release compiled more than a day ago.   ;)

But should be good for the next one.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #19 on: 29 January 2013, 11:58:48 »
Considering the bug report says it was fixed/closed 4 hours ago, I doubt it made it into the release compiled more than a day ago.   ;)

But should be good for the next one.

Tested it with SVN this morning and it still does it :)
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 29 January 2013, 12:35:48 »
Also the weapons tab needs work, it's not limiting them by era <snip>

I am planning on putting in an optional filter by production year button for those who want that. Just sorting on intro year will work wonders though.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 29 January 2013, 15:31:03 »
Tested it with SVN this morning and it still does it :)

Ah, well you said 'this release' in your post, which is why I mentioned that. Might need to make a new bug report so it doesn't get forgotten / lost.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #22 on: 29 January 2013, 19:04:38 »
Sweeeeeeeet!

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

BeeRockxs

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 03 February 2013, 13:42:23 »
The next release will have drag-and-drop support for moving equipment from location to location.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 05 February 2013, 15:40:10 »
And this will be included in the latest MHQ?

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 05 February 2013, 15:45:21 »
And this will be included in the latest MHQ?

Yes.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 06 February 2013, 01:19:03 »
Thank for the info Jay now I am really excited for the new MHQ

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 08 February 2013, 08:03:24 »
Looks great .... but how come I don't seem to get all the pretty colors that you show?

Ignore this if it has already been asked before...

Oh and it doesn't seem to load inarc Haywire ammo correctly....

Adding case as an item seems odd... but yeah ok.

and it seems a pain to spot where it shows the # of shots per ton of ammo... no listed on the mech for easy checking.

« Last Edit: 08 February 2013, 08:15:52 by McSlayer »
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...

BeeRockxs

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 08 February 2013, 10:04:50 »
You can configure the colors yourself in the options.

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 08 February 2013, 12:14:29 »
Thanks Bee.

It seems very useful now to check if ammo is properly protected by other crit items.

:-)
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...