Author Topic: TRO 3145--Federated Suns  (Read 188600 times)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
Re: TRO 3145--Federated Suns
« Reply #900 on: 06 June 2013, 15:57:40 »
Of course, jymset will probably bully me into doing both. LOL
That big meanie is capable of such things.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #901 on: 06 June 2013, 16:02:18 »
I just got to the Hanse MBT.   Words can't describe my disappointment.   :'(
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Gustav Kuriga

• Warrant Officer
  • Fluffeh Fennec
« Reply #902 on: 06 June 2013, 16:04:25 »
Anywho....  Is it odd that the Sea Fox doesn't really seem to be designed for under water combat? no torpedos, no energy weapons etc et al.

Why would you use energy weapons underwater? Past point blank range, the water would soak up all the power of the weapon. I mean, firing energy weapons in an atmosphere leads to some power loss over distance, but it isn't really noticeable in a practical sense, where as trying to use an energy weapon underwater would require insane power requirements for just to get the weapon to fire at mid-range...

Anyways, the Sea Fox is meant more for spec-ops against targets on the water's surface, not submarine warfare (I am using submarine as an adjective, not a noun, for all those grammer nazis out there.)
that's nonsense you loon. i use a hammer to drive screws and I ENJOY IT  - Cik

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #903 on: 06 June 2013, 16:05:03 »
with the Destrier and Ballista each carrying a C3 slave, you could theoretically link two two different C3 networks with the same "vehicle"
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #904 on: 06 June 2013, 16:06:00 »
It actually looks to be a pretty big STuG.  You can't be disappointed with a big STuG. Get to where you need, torch your target and get out. Then set up all over again.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #905 on: 06 June 2013, 16:10:45 »
Why would you use energy weapons underwater?

Because energy weapons do work underwater(albeit at greatly reduced ranges), as opposed to missile and ballistic weapons that do not work at all. If you don't mount torpedoes for some reason, energy weapons are the next best thing.

It actually looks to be a pretty big STuG.  You can't be disappointed with a big STuG. Get to where you need, torch your target and get out. Then set up all over again.
Mmm....StuGs... {>{>
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #906 on: 06 June 2013, 16:12:03 »
and for those of us who don't know what a Stug is? (is he the driver on the mech equivalent of top gear?)
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Gustav Kuriga

• Warrant Officer
  • Fluffeh Fennec
« Reply #907 on: 06 June 2013, 16:13:41 »
I just got to the Hanse MBT.   Words can't describe my disappointment.   :'(

A protip, take out MBT and replace it with Tank Destroyer. Use it like an upgraded Hetzer with longer range. You aren't going to be doing any outmaneuvering with this tank, it should be used as a trap into which you've lured the enemy. Put it into a building looking down a street and use a baiting light mech or vehicle to lure other mechs into your kill zone. Best used with supporting infantry.

Gustav Kuriga

• Warrant Officer
  • Fluffeh Fennec
« Reply #908 on: 06 June 2013, 16:14:41 »
and for those of us who don't know what a Stug is? (is he the driver on the mech equivalent of top gear?)

It's a German tank destroyer from WWII, basically the genesis of all following non-turret tank destroyers.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #909 on: 06 June 2013, 16:19:12 »
It's a German tank destroyer from WWII, basically the genesis of all following non-turret tank destroyers.

The STuG was actually an assault gun. The Jagdpanzer was the tank destroyer.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #910 on: 06 June 2013, 16:20:36 »
The StuG. 8)

My wife writes books

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #911 on: 06 June 2013, 16:33:10 »
The STuG was actually an assault gun. The Jagdpanzer was the tank destroyer.

Should we start a STuG challange? With all that high-tech stuff going around, a basic infantry support gun without frills would be a challenge, lol.

Edith says: I´m actually joking, there´re so many bare-bones designs around.
Edith adds: My STuG is called Pixiu.
Edith kicks ColBosch: I wanted to write Predator. I used Pixiu so much in the last days, I wrote it by reflex.
« Last Edit: 06 June 2013, 16:43:56 by Coldwyn »
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #912 on: 06 June 2013, 16:37:52 »
It's turreted, but I think the Phalanx would win that one.
My wife writes books

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #913 on: 06 June 2013, 16:41:34 »
Someone mentioned the Pixiu, but not the Predator from the same Tech Readout? For shame!
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #914 on: 06 June 2013, 16:45:11 »
Predator's a Hetzer, pure and simple. O0
My wife writes books

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #915 on: 06 June 2013, 16:45:29 »
Should we start a STuG challange? With all that high-tech stuff going around, a basic infantry support gun without frills would be a challenge, lol.

Well, in BattleTech terms the StuG III and IV at about 23 to 24 metric tons would be ICE-powered light tanks...going 3/5 at best, and possibly 2/3 if one figures that the 40 kph listed on Wikipedia could well already include the pavement MP bonus.

Might be fun to encounter on the tabletop just for silliness's sake, but not precisely what I'd call competitive. :)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #916 on: 06 June 2013, 16:46:53 »
A protip, take out MBT and replace it with Tank Destroyer. Use it like an upgraded Hetzer with longer range. You aren't going to be doing any outmaneuvering with this tank, it should be used as a trap into which you've lured the enemy. Put it into a building looking down a street and use a baiting light mech or vehicle to lure other mechs into your kill zone. Best used with supporting infantry.

I just expected something closer to Gauss rifles and not the worlds largest plasma cannons/light AC.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #917 on: 06 June 2013, 16:48:14 »
Well, in BattleTech terms the StuG III and IV at about 23 to 24 metric tons would be ICE-powered light tanks...going 3/5 at best, and possibly 2/3 if one figures that the 40 kph listed on Wikipedia could well already include the pavement MP bonus.

Might be fun to encounter on the tabletop just for silliness's sake, but not precisely what I'd call competitive. :)

Probably thinking more along the lines of a 31st/32nd-century tech vehicle that does the same thing on that battlefield as the StuG did in WWII, not a carbon copy.
My wife writes books

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #918 on: 06 June 2013, 16:51:50 »
Probably thinking more along the lines of a 31st/32nd-century tech vehicle that does the same thing on that battlefield as the StuG did in WWII, not a carbon copy.

Exactly. Thus my vote for the Predator; that LB20-X, tough front armor (and hilariously awful sides), and surprising quickness just feels more like a BattleTech STuG to me, especially as there's only one thing "bigger" than a AC/20 and it doesn't really do any more damage (i.e., the Long Tom cannon).
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #919 on: 06 June 2013, 16:53:25 »
I just expected something closer to Gauss rifles and not the worlds largest plasma cannons/light AC.

About that...you do remember that plasma rifles do 10+2d6 damage to enemy tanks, right?

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #920 on: 06 June 2013, 16:55:46 »
Exactly. Thus my vote for the Predator; that LB20-X, tough front armor (and hilariously awful sides), and surprising quickness just feels more like a BattleTech STuG to me, especially as there's only one thing "bigger" than a AC/20 and it doesn't really do any more damage (i.e., the Long Tom cannon).

iHGR?

About that...you do remember that plasma rifles do 10+2d6 damage to enemy tanks, right?

Yeah, the Hanse is very much a scary tank destroyer. Not 100% sure what to do with the LAC, though. I'm not a fan of AP rounds, and I'm not sure if Precision would be all that useful for fighting flankers in a non-turreted gun.
My wife writes books

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #921 on: 06 June 2013, 16:56:10 »

Well, we already have the Hetzer. ;)

And while in terms of chassis it's not hard to scale the concept further up, you hit the size limit on tank-portable "assault guns" pretty quickly. The Hetzer already has that AC/20 -- beyond that lie pretty much only the two heavy Gauss models and then things just come to a screeching halt and the only thing you can mount are more guns, but no longer really bigger ones. (I'm not counting artillery here as that tends to play a somewhat different role on the BT battlefield to begin with.)

RyuWanderfalke

• Warrant Officer
  • The fist of vengeance.
« Reply #922 on: 06 June 2013, 16:56:53 »

Tell that to the (improved) Heavy Gauss Rifle.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #923 on: 06 June 2013, 17:03:34 »
Don't worry. The cowardly Duke Marsin will be shot before this is all over, Harlock :D New and Loyal Dukes all around!

Honestly, you have to feel for Bernard Marsin. He was probably getting three totally different requests for troops from the other Marches. The worst part would be all three would be from Caleb. One week, Caleb would tell him to send troops. The next, he'd be told to take his stinky troops and do nothing because his father stole from the Draconis March. And then later, he'd get orders to go execute the combine troops who rule over the chicken people leaving Bernard to bang his head on June in hopes that he figured what that order meant. If FM3145, has the positions of Periphery March units all helterskelter I might be right.  ;)

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #924 on: 06 June 2013, 17:04:52 »
Despite being more than well fed and a little bit tippsy (BBQ with the neighbours, celebratingthe first real day of summer in Berlin), here´s a suggested scenario:

Capellan Rush:

Attacker:
- 2 Predator
- 3 Regular Infantry
- 3 SRM Infantry

Defender:
- 2 Medium Bunker installations (2x AC5)
- 1 Command Bunker
- 2 Fusilier BA

Goal: Have at least one unit of Infantry reach the command bunker to occupy it.
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #925 on: 06 June 2013, 17:07:09 »
Maybe you're right with the unhealthy fixation, though I have to admit I would also have quite some problems to motivate me for this setting if the LyrCom would get outright wiped from the face of the IS as conclusion of the Melissa II queen of all wastrels arc.

Technically your faction is in exactly the same position as the Federated Suns. Melissa should have known better than to think she could tame the clans. Taking her domestic wolves for granted. But she paid an ultimate price for that. The Lyran commonwealth is bleeding territory faster than the Suns and had less territory to bleed. With far less Sea Fox support. Luckily the clans all seem to be pointed towards Terra and the republic for now.

What bugged me about Kitsune's comment simply was the attitude that he implied. My stance on this equals rather "If there's a supposed nonvocal majority and you have no data about it, then don't presume to know what they think or even speak for them as a whole."
And I think that is a fair point.

My comment was a response to another players assertion that the responses we were receiving in this TRO thread were by a vocal minority rather than the majority of Federated Suns players who just weren't representing themselves. What was nice to see was the reaction to the original post where there was a surge of passionate and excited Federated Suns players that are thrilled by the new setting or at least up to accepting the challenge.

It wasn't an assumption of knowing the statistics of the player bases opinions.

Battletech is a commercial venture, but it seems to be a passion project to the people running it. David White put alot of effort into making the illustrations, Several people put alot of effort into writing the stats and record sheets and even more people put the book together. A startling amount of them post on these very boards!

So its really depressing to see all of that hard work and passion arrive to such a frosty reception. The writing, the art, the layouts and the mechanics all have alot of care behind them. The idea that the effort and enthusiam behind a book made for us fans is atrocious.

After the response from Davion fans its become obvious that a select minority use any information granted to them as confirmation bias that the setting is against them and that a particular stellar entity (out of the two attacking them, the other of which seems largely ignored) is a favorite. Which was an elephant in the room that seemed to need to be addressed. But apparently has been being addressed for a long time. Its a toxic opinion and unfair for lurkers of the boards or any board reader to only see that and not see the proud and steadfast factions responses. Without being contested it was easy to perceive as being the only opinion. I'm satisfied with this outcome. Happy and proud of the boards Davion fans.

I am appreciative to all the people who made this really amazing technical readout for us... and dearly hope that nobody actually bothers to respond to this post because all the voices of reasons who knew this argument shouldn't have happened are correct. Now I know that too. But I'm very happy to know the other side exists.

My curiousity sated and not having meant to offend with percieved statistical knowledge. I'm going to go back to trying to convince Nova Cat fans that Kisho will come through for them. :)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #926 on: 06 June 2013, 17:09:24 »

Though doesn't look as much like a Stug as the Predator which looks exactly like a STuG :D

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #927 on: 06 June 2013, 17:11:27 »

Despite the fluff it seems pretty terrifying. >.>

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #928 on: 06 June 2013, 17:13:14 »
Huh. The Predator looks more like a Jagdpanzer IV to me. Go Fig.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #929 on: 06 June 2013, 17:13:21 »
You know...Am I the only one who looks at the Hanse and goes: "OK...I will field two of these, and either 2 Challengers
or 2 Zibblers...I know where the enemy is going to want to go on the Hanse, after all...."
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)