Author Topic: "Ghoul" Word of Blake suicide drone battlemech  (Read 2178 times)

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
"Ghoul" Word of Blake suicide drone battlemech
« on: 25 July 2013, 13:03:08 »
In the final days of the invasion of Terra, the Word of Blake had begun producing and building newer and more desperate ideas to shore up defenses of humanity's homeworld.  Central to this, was the designing and proliferation of fully autonomous drones- from the space above to battlemechs- that were intended to shore up the dire lack of pilots late in the war.  The "ghoul", was one of several drone designs on the ground that coalition forces fought against in the final months.

Code: [Select]
Ghoul UBM-0C

Mass: 20 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Quad
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 1,230,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 337

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 180 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 97.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 151.2 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
    None
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    35 points                1.00
    Internal Locations: 3 LT, 3 RT, 2 FLL, 2 FRL, 2 RLL, 2 RRL
Engine:             Fusion Engine                180                       7.00
    Walking MP: 9
    Running MP: 14
    Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             10                        0.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 HD, 1 LT, 1 RT
Gyro:               Standard                                               2.00
Cockpit:            Robotic                                                4.00
    Actuators:      L: H+UL+LL+F    R: H+UL+LL+F
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV -  64                  4.00

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     6            9         
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  2         
                                           L/R Torso     5            8         
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  2         
                                       L/R Front Leg     4            6         
                                        L/R Rear Leg     4            6         

Booby Trap CT 1 Crit 0 Heat 2.00 tons

Though there is little reason for it's nickname, the "ghoul" is a design that is essentially an enigma, though it's purpose as a remote-guided suicide bomber is obvious.  Built from devils peak in massive numbers from spare parts (a fact that was discovered only when coalition forces inspected the sparse remains) the "Ghoul" were pack-based, doglike 'mechs that commonly were hid in pre-prepared positions beforehand, and only activated once a battleline had advanced far enough ahead.  With only enough directives to arm the explosive and to seek prime targets, and with no second thoughts as to it's decision making, the "ghoul" was a terrifying force... when it worked.

Like the Revenant, the "Ghoul" suffered from even the most basic ECM interference, with most being crippled and shutting off once they began to close with chosen targets.  Worse yet, a fault likely left over in case a Ghoul should get it's IFF detection damaged or improperly calibrated after restarting meant that it's booby trap would be disarmed if the Ghoul should ever shut down- which led to many odd moments in which a Ghoul would run up to an unsuspecting enemy, pass within 15 meters, and then stop as if it was expecting another order.  It turns out, that the Word never programed the Ghoul to return if the explosive did not fire, and even the Ghoul's basic programming would leave it motionless on the battlefield.  For this reason alone, the Ghoul was the most heavily salvaged drone during the retaking of Terra, but because of it's extremely basic programming there is little to learn how the drones were programmed, or how terrible their army could have been if they had more time.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Here comes the pain, Clan filth!
Re: "Ghoul" Word of Blake suicide drone battlemech
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2013, 14:30:24 »
I remember seeing that concept before. ;)
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,29341.msg701833.html#msg701833

I think very light booby trapped mechs are indeed game breaking, especially with WoB robotic interfaces like your interpretation of the idea, which even improves upon the mech in the other thread in a way, since it removes the danger of losses in human life (at least if the faction using those buggers actually values it  }:)).
« Last Edit: 25 July 2013, 14:34:12 by Fenris »

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2013, 09:52:24 »
I remember seeing that concept before. ;)
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,29341.msg701833.html#msg701833

I think very light booby trapped mechs are indeed game breaking, especially with WoB robotic interfaces like your interpretation of the idea, which even improves upon the mech in the other thread in a way, since it removes the danger of losses in human life (at least if the faction using those buggers actually values it  }:)).

Well, the problem is that one needs a living brain and can easily say "Oh wait, WHAT are we doing?!"  :D

Booby traps on light 'mechs really are game-breaking, as losing 2 tons in "active" firepower just puts them down to introtech levels.  The fact this thing causes a 180 point explosion is just wrong.

I also forgot to mention- drones like this one have specific custom rules.  Namely, that they can be freely activated on-field, are considered "hidden" until that occurs, operate only in aggressive mode, but are unable to fire the trap if they ever come under the affects of an enemy ECM field.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Here comes the pain, Clan filth!
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2013, 12:36:53 »
Yeah, as I said, this is without a doubt the absolutely perfect concept for the robotic drone interface.
The only thing I would "improve" is to reduce the armor, maybe even use an XL engine to increase the engine size.
I mean, it really doesn't need to be well protected, as long as the TMMs are too high for it to be hit while increasing the booby trap damage. And IF it is hit nonetheless, it won't really matter whether the torsos etc. are protected by 8, 5 or even 3 points.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2013, 20:10:26 »
Yeah, as I said, this is without a doubt the absolutely perfect concept for the robotic drone interface.
The only thing I would "improve" is to reduce the armor, maybe even use an XL engine to increase the engine size.
I mean, it really doesn't need to be well protected, as long as the TMMs are too high for it to be hit while increasing the booby trap damage. And IF it is hit nonetheless, it won't really matter whether the torsos etc. are protected by 8, 5 or even 3 points.

Yeah, using Commercial armor for most >25 ton 'mechs is actually a good idea, as any hit above 5 points is likely to hit internals anyways.
Cowdragon:

Register