Author Topic: Any -major- periphery powers?  (Read 24065 times)

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
Re: Any -major- periphery powers?
« Reply #30 on: 29 November 2013, 11:30:01 »
I refer you to my "post-Blackout" statement.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #31 on: 29 November 2013, 12:34:11 »
I think there going be a time where the definition of "Inner Sphere" needs to be stated.

When the original Free Worlds League broke up, entire reach of space within that stretch of space becomes Periphery.  Why?  No central authority?  No strong government?  No significate military?   What heck was Chaos March?  Inner Periphery?  Way things was going, that seems to be the way it falls if were fact it was surrounded by Inner Sphere nations trying to grab worlds half-heart-off-ly.

Raven Alliance dugged into the side of the Inner Sphere, you'd think they were part of the Inner Sphere.  I certainly would call them a Major Periphery power. Clan or not.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #32 on: 29 November 2013, 13:38:18 »
As for the Raven Alliance I disagree, State Os not, in any case Clan, but not periphery.
As for those in the Lyran Alliance or FWL  who were separated from their states are clearly peripheral worlds

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #33 on: 29 November 2013, 15:26:22 »
IIRC, its a measurement of distance from terra.  Look on the maps, and you see a series of circles the further from the center of the map you go.  The Periphery starts about 500 LY from Terra, I think.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 08 December 2013, 14:56:30 »
As for the Raven Alliance I disagree, State Os not, in any case Clan, but not periphery.
As for those in the Lyran Alliance or FWL  who were separated from their states are clearly peripheral worlds

Not really. The Raven Alliance is essentially 2 nations in one location with the Ravens holding the reins of power, but the Alliance folks being the basis for the economy, which in the long run, is always the true base of power.

The civilians in the Alliance are certainly NOT clan.
Let Miley lick the hammers!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 08 December 2013, 16:19:03 »
Well, the Raven Alliance has grown and nibbled away at both the Federated Suns and the Draconis Combine.  What heck do they have to do be recognized as being part of the Inner Sphere?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 09 December 2013, 08:49:36 »
The Taurians and Marians have likewise taken IS planets, but they're also still labelled as Periphery nations

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 22 December 2013, 02:07:04 »
Well as far as speculation goes, there may be another power out there beyond the Jarnvolk but most (like me) assume that they are speaking of the clans...
Someone said that information is ammunition. Both are for sale at the nearest League outpost...and more!

Aleksandr

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 24 December 2013, 20:12:33 »
The Periphery is more a regional designation than a status one. In regards to the former FWL, I'd consider the Rim Commonality a Periphery state, but not the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth. The Rim Commonality is not only regionally peripheral, but really had more interaction and concern with the other Periphery realms nearby (namely the Marians) than the rest of the Sphere.

Just because one isn't a house can't make it a periphery state - otherwise the Word of Blake Protectorate, St. Ives Compact and Free Rasalhague Republic are all Periphery states.  :D

That said, there is something to Periphery being an attitude, but to cross that threshold is pretty difficult. The Raven Alliance should still be considered Periphery, imo, since the Ravens are so insular and haven't absorbed or overtaken the Alliance's culture.

As is, I think the Inner Periphery might in store for a name change if the Deep Periphery becomes a bit more populated. The 'Outer Sphere' states wouldn't be much different than the Rasalhague Dominion or Regulan Fiefs - powerful states that post-date the Star League, and can't really be considered a Successor State.

“These will be dark days, when Wolves prowl across Terra.” - Jonathon Cameron

Signature bar by HikageMaru

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #39 on: 26 December 2013, 00:47:12 »
Unless IE are deliberately covering up the existence of a state for some reason...

In IE's book, they pretty much stated that they actually are hiding (or trying to hide) at least two worlds: Farhome and… the one with the mutants. So I'd say that IE is almost certainly hiding more.

...I guess I'm a biased, but I love the idea of more factions.  The big, empty-seeming space at the bottom of the maps past the MoC and TC/CP just gives me an itch, since its where I put my own AU groups, but apparently Herb the BT-line dev is intent on reducing the number of factions to something more managable.

Basically this.

I look at a map of the Deep Periphery and I see all the blank spaces of the map and filling in those blank spaces begins to seem more important than keeping the peace on former Rasalhague and Republic worlds or protecting the Galatean League and the Remnant. I want to delve the ruins of ancient fortresses, to seek out new mutants and new civilizations… to boldly go where no MechWarrior has gone before (well, in living memory).

Makes me want to name a DropShip Galileo and refit a Frigate or a Light Cruiser for deep space exploration and name her Enterprise.

ETA: And Deep Periphery exploration makes me feel less silly about my 'Mechs having hands. Although I feel that battle armor might be more useful….
« Last Edit: 26 December 2013, 00:49:11 by Josva Valdreki »
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 26 December 2013, 02:17:24 »
Maybe those spaces really are blank? It is a fact that the farther you go from Terra the less likely you'll find planets suitable for habitation

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 26 December 2013, 10:32:19 »
They're clearly not, or any Deep Periphery adventure campaign would be pointless.

As made plain by the Jihad and IE, even the blank spaces in the Inner Sphere haven't entirely been filled in.
Úlfhéðnar Free Company

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 27 December 2013, 12:08:00 »
That was due to the first 2 Succession Wars, but the Deep Periphery is different. Secret bases and caches, sure, but full-fledged space-faring nations? Very rare

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 27 December 2013, 13:54:48 »
That was due to the first 2 Succession Wars, but the Deep Periphery is different. Secret bases and caches, sure, but full-fledged space-faring nations? Very rare

Problem is, we don't actually know how far did periphery nations, the SLDF or random colonists actually ventured out in the dark. To be perfectly honest, I find it very hard that especially during the Star League, there weren't any more ventures out in the deep periphery.

Actually the farthest was Colombus and frankly I find that a bit suspicious given the location of where the SL Army settled after it went into exile.

However, a rather indirect indication of how far humanity went is the number of 'known' colonies we find in the IE book and especially astonishing, RWR bases popping up all over the place.
Someone said that information is ammunition. Both are for sale at the nearest League outpost...and more!

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 27 December 2013, 22:07:13 »
Yup.

There are RWR Outposts that have been uncovered thousands of lightyears from the Inner Sphere - Rimward, Spinward, and Anti-Spinward. (The Rimward Outposts being on the complete opposite side of the Inner Sphere from the furthest known extent of the RWR.)
Úlfhéðnar Free Company

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 28 December 2013, 02:24:45 »
Does anyone remember the celestial body that Comstar sent a ship to in the past in order to try the feasibility of very long range deep periphery travel? Was it somehow connected to Orion? Can't find the quote...

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #46 on: 28 December 2013, 11:32:56 »
....I remember the mention of such a mission assigned to the explorer corps, but can't remember anything else about it, but iirc it was to a black hole somewhere.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #47 on: 25 January 2014, 19:13:34 »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Star League outposts went out something like 2,000 lightyears from Terra.

Actual physical Star League built structures to support actual Star League people.

And that we explored further out than that.

And then of course we know that Clan Wolverine is holding off the Alien menace somewhere to the south.  ;)  That's the real reason we haven't seen any deep periphery stuff out that way...hehehe
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #48 on: 25 January 2014, 19:33:09 »
Indeed, and first exodus parties disappearing, some to mechanical/technical failure, but that couldn't have been all of them or even most, I would hope.  :)   Then a second exodus after the TA fell, then people disgusted and fleeing Age of War IS, or Shiro Kurita.  And then the aforementioned Star League expansion/possible outposts, that IE couldn't have fully accounted for.

I think there's room for anything, and it was set up that way from the start.  Comstar's original handbook/reports were everything as far as they and their various "business" was concerned, so the POV is strong in its sphere of influence, no pun intended, but beyond that they had to have te Explorer Corps, and even that was mostly focused on limited areas of search, ie, Kerensky's trail.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 27 January 2014, 16:13:26 »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Star League outposts went out something like 2,000 lightyears from Terra.

Actual physical Star League built structures to support actual Star League people.

Up to a point, it would explain why Kerensky went the way he went. Decent planets, hidden from view by a nebula and sufficiently distant not to be in easy contact with the IS. After all, Tanis (a SL colony) was only 2 jumps away from the 'promised land'.

BTW the area described (ie the 2000LY) would actually encompass the known universe at this point...

There is something else. It could be that there are a lot of planets in the deep periphery that are quite unremarkable - say agricultural colonies, with 18 century tech with a few hundred or thousand people. They would slip under the radar unless some big shot organization from the IS or clans decided to base themselves out of it.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 28 January 2014, 10:35:24 »
I think they did that 400 years ago. It's called Rim Worlds Outposts.

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 06 June 2014, 17:37:41 »
Afternoon guys, It's been a while since I really went on a buying spree. I know I need to get all new sourcebooks,field reports and such. You keep mentioning  The Imperio quite a bit. Where can I find more information IT.
Thanks

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #52 on: 06 June 2014, 19:09:57 »
The Wars of Reaving and Interstellar Players 3 have the sum total of all that's been written about Escorpion Imperio so far
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 06 June 2014, 21:49:42 »
The Wars of Reaving and Interstellar Players 3 have the sum total of all that's been written about Escorpion Imperio so far

There is also a brief update in the Wars of Reaving Supplemental.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 24 July 2014, 13:50:18 »
Actually, wouldn't it be nice to have a powerful deep periphery power being 'discovered'? I know that the going axiom is that the further one is from Terra, the more one closer to a Neanderthal... but it would be nice that we are surprised by some power cropping up in the deep.

Or maybe one of the existing deep periphery factions somehow gaining enough strength to become a distant player in IS affairs?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 24 July 2014, 14:02:13 »
Actually, wouldn't it be nice to have a powerful deep periphery power being 'discovered'? I know that the going axiom is that the further one is from Terra, the more one closer to a Neanderthal... but it would be nice that we are surprised by some power cropping up in the deep.

Or maybe one of the existing deep periphery factions somehow gaining enough strength to become a distant player in IS affairs?

That would be the Clans.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 24 July 2014, 14:10:08 »
That would be the Clans.

Nah... that has grown old now...

What I mean is that a power that is not clan, clan affiliated or whatever.

Given the fact that the Clans are seemingly all over the place (especially in 3145) maybe its time to limit the usage of this particular deus ex machine all over the place in the BT universe.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #57 on: 24 July 2014, 14:15:24 »

Isn't there a big one (ish) out anti-spindward way that's described in ISP3?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #58 on: 24 July 2014, 15:11:31 »
Isn't there a big one (ish) out anti-spindward way that's described in ISP3?

I wish there really was a large couple deep periphery powers out there, it  would freshen things up a bit.
Ones may not have BattleMechs, but something else. Maybe like Bolo style machines, Mobile Structures without sluggishness of what technology we current have.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 25 July 2014, 00:12:13 »
While rare, there's no reason in universe why there couldn't be-- by the Age of War colonization was more or less old hat, so you were unlikely to make the stupid mistakes the early colonists made and jumpships were far more available than they were post-succession wars. 

as for distance, assuming one jump per two weeks which is a VERY slow rate but one I'd expect of people wanting to baby their engines, you get 780 LY per year.  Three years and you're a long, long way from anyone.  As for habitable planets, the IS isn't special in any sort of astrographic manner-- you're likely to find about the same percentage of planets at your destination. 

Now, the question of population in crease is always a dicy one because there are a lot more issues than simply "number of women who can have kids" but even a modern population increase can take a small seed population and blow it up to millions of even billions in the time period we're talking.  Technology ditto-- the reason there are no jump ship production facilities is pure and solely authorial fiat.  Given that the technology actually predates the battlemech there's no reason even close worlds like the TC shouldn't have it, so again Authorial fiat.

And that's the real reason-- fundamentally the periphery is supposed to be something that is acted upon by the IS. Notice how even the clans are not effectively IS powers.  So I doubt if we're ever going to see any sort of advanced periphery power that doesn't have some odd and logic defying explanation for why it suddenly nuked itself into oblivion.

Register