Author Topic: Changes to Autocannon  (Read 22953 times)

Redman

• Warrant Officer
Re: Changes to Autocannon
« Reply #120 on: 08 November 2013, 10:06:05 »
- sry for interrupting:

I would approach the AC problematic from a different angle:
each ton of ammunition should deals 100 dmg
but how many heat points are packed into those 100dmg?
Its 35 for the AC20, 30 for the AC 10, 20 for the AC 5 and 45 for the AC 2 (while dealing less damage).... :-\ looks like a infamous computer game)

While ignoring ranges:
i would level that stats at first:
Light AC -> 3 damage 1 heat 33 shots
Medium AC -> 7 damage 2 heat 14 shots
Heavy AC -> 10 damage 3 heat 10 shots
Assault AC -> 20 damage 6 heat 5 shots

Question how to create a kind of progress?
I would use Cluster Table too:
damage at long range got 0
at medium range +2
and at long range +4 for rolls on the cluster table - damage is applied to a single location.

Hmm, i don't quite understand. The first part about leveling is pretty much similar to my own ideas but the second part makes me scratch my head. Are you suggesting that instead of dealing full damage ACs roll on the cluster table to see how much damage they actually deal? Because that would pretty much reduce their damage output by an average of 30% to 40% at long range. Pretty much the first proposal to nerf ACs instead of upgrading them in this threat.

BTW to which computer game are you referring?
As players, we see units in a completely different light to how they would be viewed in universe: they're not just playing pieces that fight to destruction to achieve victory at any cost in this evening's game session, but instead men and women that represent years of training and investment, and living to fight another day can be viewed more important than a Pyrrhic victory.  -- sillybrit

The Succession Wars are fought over water, ancient machines, and spare parts factories. Control of these elements will lead to final victory and the domination of known space. -- BattleTech Boxed Set, 2nd Edition

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: 08 November 2013, 11:17:51 »
Ooh, here's an idea: Laser AC Ammo

Based on ancient Chemical Laser technology (and perhaps the modern Clan incarnation of the same tech), Laser Ammo replaces standard Autocannon cartridges with chemical laser cells, using the Autocannon's standard firing mechanism to trigger the chemical reaction. Each laser cell by itself produces a weak laser pulse, but since ACs fire in bursts of multiple shots each, all those weak pulses add up. This produces alot of heat of course, but most of the heat is contained in the cell which is ejected after use and the laser itself is thinner than the barrel of the AC, so the firing unit's heat sinks doesn't actually have to deal with much excess heat.

Since the AC's barrel is mostly dead weight, a specialized "Laser Autocannon" can be made by taking a standard Autocannon and sawing off most of the barrel. "Laser Autocannons" are half the tonnage as a standard Autocannon, but are unable to use other Autocannon ammo types.

Laser Ammo Rules:
- Can be used in standard ACs and Laser ACs.
- Increases AC damage by 50% round up.
- Doubles AC heat per "shot".
- Is lighter than standard ammo, increasing ammo count per ton by 50% round down.
- Does not explode if critically hit.
- Costs 10 times the C-Bills than standard Ammo.
- Gets its damage halved by Reflective Armor like any other laser.

Hmm... does this concept need a further nerf? Say jamming because the laser cell welded itself into the firing chamber before it could be ejected due to excess heat?

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #122 on: 08 November 2013, 12:50:20 »
What if endo was used for the structure of the AC except for the breach and barrel lining? It would be bulkier and cost more but weigh less.
Like say double the cost, 40% less mass, and 50% more crit space?
Seems like the simplest solution.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #123 on: 08 November 2013, 14:49:07 »
Weighs less? Uses more bulk aka crit space? Costs extra? Hello LB-X Autocannons!

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #124 on: 08 November 2013, 15:16:21 »
Weighs less? Uses more bulk aka crit space? Costs extra? Hello LB-X Autocannons!
The LB 10-X uses one less crit and only weighs a ton less. The LB 20-X weighs the same and takes a crit more.

An endo AC20 should be around 8.5 tons and 15 crits
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #125 on: 12 November 2013, 03:28:54 »
Hmm, i don't quite understand. The first part about leveling is pretty much similar to my own ideas but the second part makes me scratch my head. Are you suggesting that instead of dealing full damage ACs roll on the cluster table to see how much damage they actually deal? Because that would pretty much reduce their damage output by an average of 30% to 40% at long range. Pretty much the first proposal to nerf ACs instead of upgrading them in this threat.

BTW to which computer game are you referring?
Yes, you are right about that second part.
But there are options to remove the problems - of that drastically damage loose:

for example
you apply a +2 on cluster table at short range
and +-0 cluster table at medium range together with a -1 to hit roll
and -2 at long range with a -2 to hit.

Or you can dynamically trade things: you can reduce damage for a better to hit probability and vice versa. similar to the RoF factor in Heavy Gear

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #126 on: 12 November 2013, 10:48:55 »
Question: So far I've only seen light versions of the AC 2 and 5, how would one stat out light AC 10s and 20s?

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: 12 November 2013, 14:01:35 »
Question: So far I've only seen light versions of the AC 2 and 5, how would one stat out light AC 10s and 20s?

LAC-10
10 tons
5 crits
4/8/12 range
2 heat

LAC-20
12 tons
6 crits
2/4/6 range
5 heat

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #128 on: 12 November 2013, 14:45:05 »
Shouldn't that be 8 tons 3/6/9 and 10 tons 1/2/3?

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #129 on: 12 November 2013, 17:23:27 »
Shouldn't that be 8 tons 3/6/9 and 10 tons 1/2/3?

If those are the stats you prefer...

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #130 on: 12 November 2013, 22:29:59 »
They line up with my best estimate of how the stats for the other light ACs compare to the standard ones.