Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 140058 times)

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #780 on: 22 March 2015, 21:46:43 »
There are some shows I don't watch that friends of mine rave about. I honestly don't watch much TV, in general.

Without spoiling anything, SoA's entire arc definitely shows that the outlaw biker lifestyle is not compatible with "normal" lifestyles. There are very real consequences all along the line for what the club is involved in.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #781 on: 22 March 2015, 21:55:14 »
finally had a chance to watch the sting with redford and newman without interuptions...and watch it to the end! wahoo! ( doing the happy dance)
finished watching divergent...total opinion on it ? blah....nice concept just fell flat and into category it had been done before and flogged to death ressurected like demented messiah and killed again.
it seems that hollywood stopped making anything original after 1983
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #782 on: 22 March 2015, 22:01:49 »
with all the crud that is out there it got me thinking about some old sci fi stuff and how these guys in the 50s and 60s did a lot more for less
then i thought of invaders tv series and even tho the budget was crap and sets cheap as they can get without being blown away by merest gust of wind how the actors made the show shine through their sheer will of personality and acting. kind of made me wish for some rally good movies and tv shows that depended more on actors with ability than expensive fx that covered up bad acting.
any one else feels that way about todays shows and movies?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #783 on: 22 March 2015, 23:04:46 »
Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot. Wow... just wow. If your ever in the mood to watch a 10 year old Japanese boy slaughter evil henchmen with a pistol and giant robot set in the 60s, boy do I have a show for you.

It's like Ultraman if Ultraman was grossly inappropriate
« Last Edit: 22 March 2015, 23:07:07 by THUD »

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #784 on: 22 March 2015, 23:45:39 »
I started watching "The Dark Crystal" on Netflix the other night...and I couldn't get into it. I used to *love* this movie; I'm hoping it was just a case of it not being the right movie for the mood I was in.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #785 on: 23 March 2015, 00:20:35 »
I started watching "The Dark Crystal" on Netflix the other night...and I couldn't get into it. I used to *love* this movie; I'm hoping it was just a case of it not being the right movie for the mood I was in.
it was the mood ...there are times i hate to watch anything even when it is my favorite thing in the world to watch!

on the plus side today was a mile stone for me!
after 30+ years of trying to watch return of the jedi without interuption it breaking or crashing or even emergency cropping up along with unannounced visit and or breaking itself in movie theater....
 I WAS ABLE TO WATCH IT NON STOP! !!!!!

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #786 on: 23 March 2015, 01:06:10 »
I picked up the Star Wars movies on Blue Ray yesterday, the "Complete Saga" set.  The set as a whole is amazing, though there's some omissions in the extras department.  It comes with 3 bonus discs, one of which has several documentaries, but the "Empire of Dreams" documentary is missing (included on the DVD release of ep IV-VI boxed set), and I think there are a couple other documentaries that should have been included as well.  Fortunately I still have that bonus disc so I can watch it anytime.

I've watched the movies in order but had to stop after Ep IV, so I still have ESB and ROTJ to go. I am impressed, they all look great in 1080p on my 40" HDTV. I also watched some of the special features, including some of the deleted scenes, some of which I had never seen before. 

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #787 on: 23 March 2015, 08:41:30 »
Watched Dredd over the weekend again.  Not really sure what to make of it after second viewing.  There wasn't much Dreddism to it.  Could have just as easily been generic cop vs the bad gus movie.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #788 on: 23 March 2015, 08:45:13 »
And actually bears striking resemblance to Indonesian (?) 'The Raid'.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #789 on: 23 March 2015, 09:24:16 »
IIRC the Raid got released first only because Dredd was in development limbo (or release limbo) for a very long time.

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #790 on: 23 March 2015, 09:32:26 »
 So I have heard, too.

Still, their structure and stories are pretty similar, which is the statement on its own, no hidden suggestions intended.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #791 on: 23 March 2015, 12:18:17 »
I've had several arguments about which is better.  For my money,  it's The Raid. But Dredd is really good. You can't go wrong with either one.

I was told that the Dredd story was from a old story line in the comics. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I watched Paul Blart Mall Cop last night for the first time. I have to admit it was way better than I thought it was going to be.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #792 on: 25 March 2015, 13:03:08 »
Hop.  My theory is that Russel Brand was watching The Santa Clause 2 while smoking a lot of pot, had a craving for a chocolate bunny,  then said "I have an idea for a movie!"

Worst kids movie I have had to watch all the way through.

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #793 on: 26 March 2015, 15:51:22 »
Just finished the 5th season of Justified - real good finale. O0 -

Daryl Crow: (As Marshal Raylan Givens walks in to the room where Daryl's sister Wendy's holding a gun to his pants) "She's got a gun!"
Raylan: "yup."
Daryl: "Well, ain't ya gona do somethin' 'bout it?!"
Raylan: "Nope"
Daryl: "Why not!"
Raylan: "That's 'family business' & you don't want me in your 'family's business'."

:)) oops - Carful what you wish for!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #794 on: 27 March 2015, 21:15:24 »
Retro-Watching for me and little Miss.

Fletch

Be decades since i saw the movie.  Chevy still funny, but man film hasn't age as well.  It's like they wrote script around his tom foolery.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #795 on: 28 March 2015, 19:26:31 »
Because I felt like re-watching it, and Robert Duvall does such a good job as the old, curmudgeonly Wise...Man, I watched "Deep Impact." Yeah, I have no doubt a goodly chunk of the science is a touch on the fuzzy side, but still carries a good message/reminder.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #796 on: 28 March 2015, 20:00:43 »
just watched the new TMNT beyasised version
does any one have a gallon or two of visine?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #797 on: 29 March 2015, 11:06:01 »
Its not a movie but watching Heroes from the start.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #798 on: 29 March 2015, 15:08:16 »
Because I felt like re-watching it, and Robert Duvall does such a good job as the old, curmudgeonly Wise...Man, I watched "Deep Impact." Yeah, I have no doubt a goodly chunk of the science is a touch on the fuzzy side, but still carries a good message/reminder.

Just re watched this too.  Ah, the 90s.

Ron Eldard.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #799 on: 29 March 2015, 15:30:50 »
Rewatched Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer and yep it's as bad as I remembered.  Plus side, I'd forgotten that the general is the same actor that plays the captain in Brooklyn 99. And the actor who played  Alicia is the main character from Scandal.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #800 on: 30 March 2015, 08:02:04 »
Just watched The Last Robin Hood. I've been really enjoying this new wave of 50's docu-dramas that Hollywood has been making the last few years. While it's not as good as the Hitchcock movie from a few years ago, it's an enjoyable watch. I never knew Flynn was so messed up and his final movie?  Wow. I had to check IMDB to see if that was real. Its no wonder I've never heard of it before, the studio's must have buried that film.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #801 on: 30 March 2015, 19:59:22 »
Went ahead and watched Big Hero 6.

Wish I'd done so before.  Good movie and I loved the Stan Lee cameo.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #802 on: 30 March 2015, 20:55:21 »
Went ahead and watched Big Hero 6.

Wish I'd done so before.  Good movie and I loved the Stan Lee cameo.

It is a really well done movie; I presume your spoiler refers to the bit after the credits?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #803 on: 30 March 2015, 20:57:14 »
Yup

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #804 on: 30 March 2015, 22:15:26 »
Funny thing is, my kids had watched the movie several times before I ever did - yet I was the one that discovered it. It is a fun movie, too.

Dunno if you've seen these:

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #805 on: 30 March 2015, 23:33:49 »
In the scene where Hiro knocks the shelf over, two of the toys that land on his head are a baby Cy-Bug and a chubby Hero's Duty armor (indicating that it might be Ralph).  Fred had some different Marvel characters in his room, including Sleepwalker, Turbo, and Manphibian.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #806 on: 30 March 2015, 23:58:13 »
And a huge Satan, excuse me Sateen in the background.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #807 on: 31 March 2015, 17:35:00 »
Just picked up Interstellar from the Library!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #808 on: 31 March 2015, 21:27:15 »
What did you think of it?

I think that movie is gonna be like a bad car wreck for me. I don't want to look, but I kinda have too.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #809 on: 02 April 2015, 14:56:55 »
I watched Open Season with the kids. I know it's stupid, but it makes me laugh.  The kids like it too.