Author Topic: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!  (Read 149525 times)

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Re: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« Reply #420 on: 24 July 2021, 07:22:52 »
Just a thought, but given we are moving into the IlClan era and that the Confederation will probably be one of the Wolves first targets would bringing C3i into use for the augmented Lances make sense, even though it is associated with the blakests?

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #421 on: 25 July 2021, 12:41:01 »
Just a thought, but given we are moving into the IlClan era and that the Confederation will probably be one of the Wolves first targets would bringing C3i into use for the augmented Lances make sense, even though it is associated with the blakests?

Does C3I even exists anymore? From the TRO3085 I got the impression that the Republic replaced the C3I modules in their captured Blakist equipment / continued production of Blakist equpiment with the more available C3 modules.
I would guess that they should still have the technical specifications for C3I but that tech never spread wide did it? I think only Comstar and Word of Blake actually used C3I while the other states preferred their C3 modules since those modules were not compatible (if Comstar or the Word actually sold those items. I know the Combine took a look at it and refused it when Comstar unveiled the Tessen) And wouldn't a Bloohhound probe be of more use here in combination with boosted C3 or something like that?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #422 on: 25 July 2021, 13:09:48 »
The FWL would probably have access to the tech as well. One or two of their designs had it at one point.

C3i would fit the augmented lance concept well, but I'm not sure the CapCon would want to produce so many designs that it would be usable across a wide range, rather than a small gimmick.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #423 on: 25 July 2021, 13:13:54 »
ComStar, Word of Blake were the main users of C3i. Few mercenary units made use of the system, usually those who worked for either of the prime users, such as the 21st Centauri Lancers. Post-Jihad, the tech is essentially extinct, with the Ghost Bears experimenting with the system (but abandoning it) and the resurgent ComStar using it a bit.

Cappies have never been big on C3 systems. Currently the CapCon has seemingly moved to Boosted C3 system, though there's a major lack of Boosted Masters for that, partially because we haven't gotten RS3150NTNU which would contain at least the Yu Huang's new variant with a Boosted Master (and Clan ER PPC).

Also, lack of Boosted C3i system is a problem. Guardian-level ECM is common enough normal C3 systems are of dubious value (and that's ignoring their BV cost!).

EDIT Wait, duh. There's really few IS General or CapCon units with Boosted Slaves. Still, the fact there's supposed to be a Yu Huang with a Boosted Master kinda implies the Cappies at least intend to use that. Or perhaps the Warrior Houses like it.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2021, 13:15:32 by Empyrus »

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #424 on: 26 July 2021, 03:10:49 »
Maybe Boosted Masters mainly on omnis?

A Gun with a Boosted Master running for its life all the time looks like fun. :D

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #425 on: 26 July 2021, 13:37:45 »
There is a Strider with two Boosted C3 Masters.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #426 on: 29 July 2021, 21:14:26 »
There is a Strider with two Boosted C3 Masters.

That's more like a relay than anything...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #427 on: 22 August 2021, 09:44:43 »
Dusting off the thread, I'll pose a question.

What draws you to the Capellan Confederation, and why do you like playing them on the tabletop and in roleplay?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #428 on: 22 August 2021, 10:42:39 »
When you're under attack, you never quit - you just keep hitting them back, any way you can. Even when it hurts. Even when you are losing. Even when it feels like you'll likely die. Because the alternative is giving up who you are, and they can only take that from you if you give up. Keep hitting them back, and the strongest opponent will tire. Keep hitting them back, and they'll start feeling like their attacks aren't worth it. Keep hitting them back, and they'll start looking for other options.

The Capellan Confederation is a nation that has stuck to its principles through over 700 years of continuous siege. That siege has forged a brotherhood amongst the voluntary citizenry dedicated to upholding their culture and meritocratic society, and they will surrender it to no one. I can't think of anything more admirable than that.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #429 on: 23 August 2021, 13:54:25 »
Dusting off the thread, I'll pose a question.

What draws you to the Capellan Confederation, and why do you like playing them on the tabletop and in roleplay?

I have for upwards of 20 years been anti-Capellan. I just recently became a fan of them, since the KS really. I think they have some of the more unique proprietary mechs, and that their general underdog status (until recently) draws me in. Also the Big MAC. Not sure how well id do with stealth armor, but that seems cool too.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #430 on: 23 August 2021, 14:06:11 »
Seeing your Bear icon, it's kind of weird you'd be so anti-Capellan. The first Bear Khan was Capellan, after all, and the familial aspects of Clan Ghost Bear aren't far from the Greater Humanity of the Korvin Doctrine. Both are meritocratic, caste based societies, both are fanatical in defending what is theirs. Both tend to rely on older, more durable & reliable designs and infantry. It'd be an eaay transition, I'd think!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #431 on: 24 August 2021, 02:22:52 »
Seeing your Bear icon, it's kind of weird you'd be so anti-Capellan. The first Bear Khan was Capellan, after all, and the familial aspects of Clan Ghost Bear aren't far from the Greater Humanity of the Korvin Doctrine. Both are meritocratic, caste based societies, both are fanatical in defending what is theirs. Both tend to rely on older, more durable & reliable designs and infantry. It'd be an eaay transition, I'd think!

Maybe that’s subtly working me over too!

NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Deuces

• Private
« Reply #432 on: 22 September 2021, 12:24:02 »
I'm a new fan of the Confederation and I'm thinking of putting together a Dark Age House Ijori force. I know they had lots of battle armor and a battalion of mechs.

My question is, what is the most lore-friendly option for battle armor transport, besides the mechs themselves? I see no vehicles in the description of their organization.

Thanks!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #433 on: 22 September 2021, 13:10:08 »
This answer will be a bit different based on the BA in question.

IE.  Do they have MagClamps?

If the answer is no......
The Maxim is produced in the CapCon (Not sure if all variants available) that could be 3-12 tons of cargo per variant.
You also have the generic "Heavy APC" line at 6 tons of cargo each.
So that is a start.

If on the other hand they DO have MagClamps..... then any vehicle will do.
I'd say the Regulator & Pegasus hovers would be common choices for the CC units.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #434 on: 22 September 2021, 13:12:36 »
The Warrior Houses are fluffed as using VTOL support and the Shun is built specifically for battle armor delivery. Depending on the era, that could be your best bet.

Deuces

• Private
« Reply #435 on: 22 September 2021, 14:27:22 »
VTOLs. Didn't know they used those. The Shun looks perfect.

Also maybe I can justify a few heavy APC as requisitions from another unit.

I plan to stick with Fa Shih suits as I understand they were pretty much the standard.

Thanks guys!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #436 on: 22 September 2021, 15:13:20 »
I'd say "IS Standard" suits are the "Standard"

Fa Shih certainly used too, but, the OG is still the OG after all, lol.

Given your looking at "Dark Age" era, then yes, the Shun is a clear option.

I'd heard that name before but had to search it after MadCap mentioned it.

Nice design, vehicle stealth armor,  TAG, very interesting.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #437 on: 22 September 2021, 15:34:07 »
I'd say "IS Standard" suits are the "Standard"

Depends on the era. Definitely by the Dark Age the House specific variants are more common, & the Fa Shih was designed specifically to be the CCAF's "standard" battle armor. That said, if you aren't using the Magclamps, there are a lot of other options available - Ying Long, anyone?
« Last Edit: 22 September 2021, 15:35:51 by MadCapellan »

Deuces

• Private
« Reply #438 on: 22 September 2021, 15:36:37 »
I overlooked those. In AS they are cheaper and shoot recoilless rifles equally well so I'll take mostly standard suits for riding in the Shun VTOLs. I'll save some laser-armed Fa Shih to ride on my mechs and mix it up.

I'm thinking for mechs, House Ijori might use a lot of older 3060s Capellan designs and some RAF salvage in the 3140s considering their rebirth from an insurgency movement a decade prior.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #439 on: 23 September 2021, 09:51:41 »
You do know that they do build a certain 8 ton Infantry Compartmented vehicle since 3108 right?

The Zahn Heavy Transport.

Ceres Metals make them, MML-7 and enough support to make them a valued unit.

Particularly when properly supported and screened by others.

Gives you 2 to 3 Platoons of various Infantry from Foot to Jump, including BA.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Deuces

• Private
« Reply #440 on: 23 September 2021, 14:23:28 »
I had not heard of that one. Thanks! Better than a heavy APC for sure.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #441 on: 24 September 2021, 00:48:31 »
The Zahn Heavy Transport.

The Sleipnir APC (SRM) is a cheaper alternative to the Zahn.  It’s not from Liao space, but from over the border in the worlds of the Aurigan Coalition.  Also wheeled, 5/8 movement but using cheaper ICE over fuel cells.  A few tons lighter armor but still a solid seven tons, and it fits in a light vehicle bay.  12 SRMs hit harder than the 7 MMLs of the Zahn, and two tons of ammo retain some of the same flexibility.  The infantry bay is only four tons, but that’s enough for the medium BA (IS Standard, Fa Shih, Amazon, or Trinity/Yin Long) squads in use by the CCAF.  And if you ignore the TacOps rule on BA weight, it’s enough for heavy and assault squads, too.

Potentially a good option for an up-and-coming Warrior House that is resource- and/or equipment-constrained.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Deuces

• Private
« Reply #442 on: 24 September 2021, 12:59:39 »
Thanks, I'll definitely consider it!

Oddly enough I see Gnome battle suits on the MUL for CCAF/dark age. Those would have to be purchases from Clan Sea Fox, right?

I'm thinking a rebuilding House Ijori would have mostly Fa shih (mentioned in the novel about their origins if I recall) and IS standard.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #443 on: 21 October 2021, 12:45:39 »

I found this amusing as the Ghost Bears are among the Clans i don't like at all really, but i am a Cappie fan.
Then again, the Ghost Bears have never held underdog status, and unlike the Cappies, they tend to be passive as heck. I mean, the Cappies are usually the punching bag, or on the offensive, nothing between...

Oddly enough I see Gnome battle suits on the MUL for CCAF/dark age. Those would have to be purchases from Clan Sea Fox, right?
Most likely. And probably a result of MechWarrior Dark Age featuring the Gnome BA for the CapCon, which makes me mildy surprised the Salamander isn't available to Cappies.

CapCon seems to be the only IS faction without any kind of native Clan-tech production yet, but by numbers, they don't seem to be that big in buying stuff either. To be sure, there's variety of Clan stuff in the Inner Sphere General list but beyond that, few options.
Interestingly, the CapCon is among the few Inner Sphere factions to use the Grand Summoner (Thor II), Ebon Jaguar, Coyotls, Lupus, and few others, at least by the Dark Age. Makes for somewhat unique mix of 'Mechs, since most CapCon designs are rather exclusive.
For armament, Kingston ER PPCs are specifically mentioned as being ordered for the Yinghuochong and used also for Yu Huang Y-H12GC (which unfortunately lacks record sheet like all 3150NTNU stuff).

Since CapCon never really agreed to Stone's disarmament policies, i wonder if Cappies chose to focus on mostly Inner Sphere technology in "quantity has a quality of its own" way? ClanTech may be somewhat more expensive after all, and R&D budgets were probably spent on developing easier to produce Spheroid equipment.
As seen with the fall of the Republic, high technology may not mean much in the long run.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #444 on: 21 October 2021, 14:23:25 »
I found this amusing as the Ghost Bears are among the Clans i don't like at all really, but i am a Cappie fan.

Honestly? I don't care for them either. Just noting there are a fair amount of societal similarities. The Bears lose me because Clan society as a whole does not appeal to me, & I also don't care for their very passive, yet opportunistic character. Anything worth caring about is worth doing zealously!  ;D

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #445 on: 21 October 2021, 14:35:52 »
I would like the Rasalhague, just not the Ghost Bears. Too bad there's no, heck, there never was credible resistance movement against them.

Anyway, some Cappie 'Mech talk.
New 'Mechs from RecGuides. So far, we've gotten the Lightning (seems nice, fast, big guns, simple), Urbie variant, Raven variant. What else? Adopted the Republic Cataphract variant but... man, not sure what they were thinking. At least their Wolverine 10R is pretty nice.
Technically i suppose the Stinger 6R and Locust 7V may count as i think their factory is within CC territory but due to their universal spread... well, whatever.
The Black Knight 18-KNT, Awesome 11H, and Cauldron-Born seem to be the most notable imported 'Mechs.
Did i miss something or is that all so far? To be clear, i don't mind lacking large numbers.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #446 on: 21 October 2021, 14:37:22 »
CapCon seems to be the only IS faction without any kind of native Clan-tech production yet, but by numbers, they don't seem to be that big in buying stuff either. To be sure, there's variety of Clan stuff in the Inner Sphere General list but beyond that, few options.
Interestingly, the CapCon is among the few Inner Sphere factions to use the Grand Summoner (Thor II), Ebon Jaguar, Coyotls, Lupus, and few others, at least by the Dark Age. Makes for somewhat unique mix of 'Mechs, since most CapCon designs are rather exclusive.
For armament, Kingston ER PPCs are specifically mentioned as being ordered for the Yinghuochong and used also for Yu Huang Y-H12GC (which unfortunately lacks record sheet like all 3150NTNU stuff).

Since CapCon never really agreed to Stone's disarmament policies, i wonder if Cappies chose to focus on mostly Inner Sphere technology in "quantity has a quality of its own" way? ClanTech may be somewhat more expensive after all, and R&D budgets were probably spent on developing easier to produce Spheroid equipment.
As seen with the fall of the Republic, high technology may not mean much in the long run.

I'm assuming this is because the CapCon took the decision to not rely on production from outside of the state as they wouldn't want to be in a position where their best units are hamstrung due unreliable supply lines.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #447 on: 21 October 2021, 14:38:46 »
I would like the Rasalhague, just not the Ghost Bears. Too bad there's no, heck, there never was credible resistance movement against them.

Anyway, some Cappie 'Mech talk.
New 'Mechs from RecGuides. So far, we've gotten the Lightning (seems nice, fast, big guns, simple), Urbie variant, Raven variant. What else? Adopted the Republic Cataphract variant but... man, not sure what they were thinking. At least their Wolverine 10R is pretty nice.
Technically i suppose the Stinger 6R and Locust 7V may count as i think their factory is within CC territory but due to their universal spread... well, whatever.
The Black Knight 18-KNT, Awesome 11H, and Cauldron-Born seem to be the most notable imported 'Mechs.
Did i miss something or is that all so far? To be clear, i don't mind lacking large numbers.

Also get the Republic designed Thunderbolt-12R, hopefully it'll get a proper Capellan re-design.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #448 on: 21 October 2021, 14:54:11 »
Also get the Republic designed Thunderbolt-12R, hopefully it'll get a proper Capellan re-design.
Oh, right, that thing. Wonder what stuff Republic designers are snorting, trading useful Stealth Armor for Reflective in case of the Cataphract, and slowing down the T-bolt and slathering Reflective armor to it...
Okay, a lot of Republic stuff is mighty fine, and i would like to see many getting adopted. It is just that these two cases are in the questionable category, IMO.

As for a Capellan re-design, i don't think one is really needed. The -7S model is a fine update to the original, maybe not perfect and not Capellan exclusive but neither is a major issue to me.

(Re-engining the 12R with XL engine allows returning it to 4/6 speed with no other changes.)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #449 on: 21 October 2021, 15:26:05 »
Actually... I keep disparaging the CTF-5L and TDR-12R but at the same time, i find them extremely appealing. They're so very... quirky.

Honestly makes me kinda want to build yet another Capellan unit, use those two in it, perhaps in a command lance.
I already got three companies of Cappies, what's one more? (Granted, they're still sitting un-painted.)
Figure a McCarron's Armored Cavalry company would round out my forces nicely.

Need to give this some thought.
Wish the Lightning and Thunder had plastic minis.

Register