Author Topic: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!  (Read 148208 times)

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
Re: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« Reply #690 on: 14 December 2022, 13:58:23 »
Gold in Capellan livery denotes the Chancellor's favor, so make sure if you use it for a battalion, it's for one in The Celestial Wisdom's good graces!

Yes, which is why the 1st St. Ives Lancers (who previously trimmed their 'Mechs in yellow) switched to trimming their 'Mechs in ivory.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #691 on: 14 December 2022, 15:02:24 »
it's for one in The Celestial Wisdom's good graces!
Can anyone really be there for long?
Such a fickle (mentally unstable) leadership line must lead to lots of repainting (On top of all the purges)

Seriously though, yeah, I know Gold is the Chancellor's color, but I can't imagine the MAC being bad off for long.
Really though I was just hoping their was some sort of info somewhere but it seems it comes down to random artist choice (I found some minis on reddit where the highlight was light green)

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #692 on: 29 December 2022, 17:03:25 »
So, fellow citizens, does anyone have any opinions about the new Vindicator? Personally, I'm in love, but I will wait to wax poetic until others have had their turn.

Only just came across it this week, but already in love with it and can't wait to throw one or two down on the table to kill some Davionistas.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #693 on: 29 December 2022, 18:07:19 »
Only just came across it this week, but already in love with it and can't wait to throw one or two down on the table to kill some Davionistas.

First things first. You gotta go kill some Wolves with em first

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #694 on: 29 December 2022, 18:43:36 »
I'd rather kill Davionistas, who deserve it far, far more than the Wolves do (from a Capellan perspective).
« Last Edit: 29 December 2022, 19:09:16 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #695 on: 29 December 2022, 19:59:17 »

One or two. That's one thing I like about it. Still reasonably priced in BV for its era. It still works in pairs.

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #696 on: 29 December 2022, 21:08:44 »
I was very disapointed i missed out on the barnes and noble sale for a new BB. The capellans have really grown on me, and the Vindicator is one of the few Capellan stalwarts in plastic. The new one is very impressive too
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #697 on: 30 December 2022, 20:59:50 »

It looks good but I've only seen it on the box & web, my copy won't get here till January, did that Humble Bundle thing earlier this month.

I'm already debating on the unit/colors, I'm thinking it will go with my Death Commandos since I recently repurposed a duplicate mini from that lance to a different unit w/ similar paint scheme after a little touch up work & now I'm short a mech for them.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #698 on: 31 December 2022, 16:29:52 »
One curious thing from Empire Alone I haven't see talked about here yet: Apparently Ceres Metals of all people are building a new factory on Loongana for Tamarind-Abbey. If I'm not mistaken, that's gonna be their first factory outside of the Confederation?
Jude Melancon lives!

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #699 on: 31 December 2022, 19:46:46 »
One curious thing from Empire Alone I haven't see talked about here yet: Apparently Ceres Metals of all people are building a new factory on Loongana for Tamarind-Abbey. If I'm not mistaken, that's gonna be their first factory outside of the Confederation?

They also have a factory on Lockton in the MoC.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #700 on: 01 January 2023, 01:23:43 »
Ceres Metals has always been listed as an International corperation, like Star Corps. It's just that the military factories were situated in the Confederation.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #701 on: 01 January 2023, 06:05:22 »
Huh, the more you know. Thank you for broadening my horizon  :thumbsup:
Jude Melancon lives!

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #702 on: 18 January 2023, 13:47:53 »
Does anyone have experience with the SNK-2Br Snake? I'm thinking of doing a mod with the Omni firestarter right arm to mimic the twin plasma rifles and I can't decide if it would be more effective in TW or AS rules. The heat management is easier in AS, but the effect on battle armor is greater in TW.

Anybody tried it?

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #703 on: 18 January 2023, 14:03:46 »
Does anyone have experience with the SNK-2Br Snake? I'm thinking of doing a mod with the Omni firestarter right arm to mimic the twin plasma rifles and I can't decide if it would be more effective in TW or AS rules. The heat management is easier in AS, but the effect on battle armor is greater in TW.

Anybody tried it?

I've ran the calliope and i LOVE it against Vees and Bubbas!  undergunned against mechs, of course.  I've never taken THAT model of snake, but a) the chassis is similar to the calliope and thus, b) it has the same issues.

The only anti-BA mech that really is decent at EVERYTHING is the komodo: GAWD I love the lil nova wanna-be, and she's deadly against Vees, bubbas, mechs its weight or lighter... just a good all-around scrapper to add to the lance. :-)

(PS, FWIW, the Unique Variant Snake with the twin LLs is just a silly little fun beast, well worth trying out once, too!)

hope this helps!

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #704 on: 18 January 2023, 16:50:33 »
Thanks! I appreciate the perspective. Right now I'm towards Playing this Snake in AS where it benefits from rounding to have simple heat management even with stealth armor.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #705 on: 21 January 2023, 13:49:23 »
Thanks! I appreciate the perspective. Right now I'm towards Playing this Snake in AS where it benefits from rounding to have simple heat management even with stealth armor.

That's one of the things I like about AS: because of the "rounding" as you called it, some gloriously great mechs turn out ok.  but OTHERS, like the Cobra, the Snake, the BattleCobra, many of the masakaris & turkinas: their weaknesses go away and they are GLORIOUS in AS.

It really helps give the game its owb vibe, with its own "meta" and commonly-seen mechs versus what you'd expect on the Table Top

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #706 on: 21 January 2023, 14:41:03 »
It really helps give the game its owb vibe, with its own "meta" and commonly-seen mechs versus what you'd expect on the Table Top
Agreed completely.
Intro Jagermech for example

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #707 on: 22 January 2023, 07:49:02 »
it also makes some of the mechs that have a "good in universe rep, bad game states" work a bit better...
Looking at you shadowhawk!
The Suns will shine again

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #708 on: 22 January 2023, 09:14:38 »
So true. I spent two days modding a Vindicator 6L only to realize it's severely underpowered in TW. Into the AS force it goes!
« Last Edit: 22 January 2023, 09:18:49 by Grizzly »

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #709 on: 25 January 2023, 11:15:53 »
Comparing the new ASN-109 to the old ASN-99, I'm trying to figure out how it's an improvement.

I use the -99 as a mobile TAG spotter alongside the Raven 5L. The sword, while not my favorite, gives it a decent chance to hit when backstabbing.

Not sure I see a good role for the -109 yet that couldn't be done more cheaply by the Wasp 7MAF.

Thoughts?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #710 on: 25 January 2023, 11:45:54 »
The Assassin is the Assassin. That is, it is bad. Hard to make it even mediocre.

The new Assassin does offer option for multiple specialty ammo loads (up to 3, if you don't mind having only one shot of one type) and 5-tube launcher is better for many than just 2-tube one, but this isn't a big benefit overall. The Angel ECM may be useful if used for interference though naturally this means giving up stealth. But the Angel is easily found among Capellan 'Mechs anyway

Think the LPPC hurts the Assassin. The range is nice, but with the good mobility medium lasers tend to have enough range, so the weight could've gone to beefing up missile armament (insofar WYSIWYG RecGuide variant allows).

For high mobility, the Capellans have, for example, the Wraith and the Dola. For recon or missiles or general support, the Raven 5L or Raven II do fine job.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #711 on: 25 January 2023, 12:00:04 »
 In 3rd Succession War play, the Assassin ranked in the top 3 recon mechs out there. Possibly as number 1.

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #712 on: 25 January 2023, 12:24:09 »
Think the LPPC hurts the Assassin. The range is nice, but with the good mobility medium lasers tend to have enough range, so the weight could've gone to beefing up missile armament (insofar WYSIWYG RecGuide variant allows).

For high mobility, the Capellans have, for example, the Wraith and the Dola. For recon or missiles or general support, the Raven 5L or Raven II do fine job.

Agreed. I was really hoping for a MVSPL or even a SNPPC. The LPPC is a bummer.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #713 on: 27 January 2023, 17:34:04 »
So as a spoiler from Dominions Divided
One of the images depicts the Cordinator meeting with individuals from the MAC.  Could the MAC be about to go mercenary?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #714 on: 27 January 2023, 18:25:26 »
One of the images depicts the Cordinator meeting with individuals from the MAC.  Could the MAC be about to go mercenary?

I hope not, I have them as my dedicated Capellan paint scheme.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #715 on: 27 January 2023, 20:45:54 »
I hope not, I have them as my dedicated Capellan paint scheme.

Yeah that'd definatly suck if it happens. I suspect you'll be in the company of a LOT of capellan players....

but hey! it just means you've got a new merc unit to play with anywhere!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #716 on: 27 January 2023, 22:01:00 »
Yeah that'd definatly suck if it happens. I suspect you'll be in the company of a LOT of capellan players....

but hey! it just means you've got a new merc unit to play with anywhere!

I don’t want a merc unit, I want capellans. Or Mercs who are basically capellans for any time period I am looking to play.

I put arguably too much effort into finding units for each clan and house that lasted effectively forever. I wouldn’t be so mad if I actually hadn’t started painting them. I think I am doing pretty good on picking units tho, if I only lose on I’ll be less mad (I won’t say happy lol)

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #717 on: 28 January 2023, 11:33:45 »

Well after their treatment by the Chancellor as found in IlClan, I could see how the writers might have planned this. Hm.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #718 on: 28 January 2023, 18:26:40 »
I don’t want a merc unit, I want capellans. Or Mercs who are basically capellans for any time period I am looking to play.

I put arguably too much effort into finding units for each clan and house that lasted effectively forever. I wouldn’t be so mad if I actually hadn’t started painting them. I think I am doing pretty good on picking units tho, if I only lose on I’ll be less mad (I won’t say happy lol)

post Jihad a number of merc units became regulars and it seems the trend is moving towards reversing that now..  as one of the ceti hussar regiments is going back to being the Lexington Combat group.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #719 on: 28 January 2023, 18:34:26 »
Agreed. I was really hoping for a MVSPL or even a SNPPC. The LPPC is a bummer.
I have no idea what the stats are, but for a WYSIWYG, I could see an LPPC+MML5+2ML as a solid load out with some CASE & electronics to flavor.
Sniping or striking in close either way it has some bite.