Author Topic: Where to get quality miniatures?  (Read 23410 times)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
Re: Where to get quality miniatures?
« Reply #30 on: 13 December 2014, 18:34:55 »
Why do you say mechs are an unstable platform?

Also, every weapon has multiple manufacturers, they'll never look alike.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #31 on: 13 December 2014, 20:31:31 »
I think what he means is that during heavy combat, weapons kick can add a degree of force to a mech in thick fire. Plus factors of rough terrain, slippery tarmac (or ferrocret).

I think mechs can be very stable during combat with an experienced pilot, but perhaps more prone to loose balance than a vee or tank. My two cents at least
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 13 December 2014, 20:55:49 »
In this universe mechs are the best platform for battle. If they weren't we wouldn't be using them.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #33 on: 13 December 2014, 21:09:33 »
And they don't require paved roads or dirt trails. They make them
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 14 December 2014, 16:19:46 »

'Mechs have a very high center of gravity compared to vees, especially tanks. They have a much smaller "footprint" as well. They have limbs and muscles, and any rifleman knows that muscling a weapon is far less accurate than getting a solid platform behind it. Their walking gait creates far more movement than a tracked vehicle as the tracked vehicle has a suspension that eliminates much of up/down movement caused by terrain. (Fun fact the German Panther tank was actually a smoother ride at higher speeds thanks to its torsion bar suspension)

Overall 'Mechs are a much less stable firing platform than vehicles, especially tracked tanks. Their aim suffers much more from recoil, moving, and other common factors. Think of 'Mechs as someone firing a rifle while standing, and vehicles as the same person firing the same rifle from the prone. They are going to be much more stable and accurate firing from the prone, able to reach out and touch their target from a greater range.

That said a weapon of war doesn't have to be the best in every way in order to be the premier weapon of war. BattleMechs are a good example, their limbed structure is worse for creating an accurate and stable firing platform, but it allows them to control their fall the way a parachutist controls theirs. This allows 'Mechs to be dropped from orbit and control their own orientation during descent and then contest their landing zone in the same way a paratrooper would. Something that a tank can't really achieve, and vital in a universe where establishing planetary "beachheads" is for follow on forces is vital. This makes the 'Mech one of the most important and powerful tools on the modern battlefield despite its shortcomings in other areas.

And they don't require paved roads or dirt trails. They make them

Tanks and most other military vehicles don't need roads or dirt trails, that's kinda the point behind tanks :P

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: 14 December 2014, 18:31:41 »
It's a sci-fi game, matter of rule of cool more than real world practicality. Also allot of nostalgia with a game this old, there will be one Warhammer in my eyes (though that MW5 trailer did have a nice remake, stupid HG) After that, it just question of taste (thus all the arguments on this forum and MWO Forum regarding what the mech should look like :P )

So pick what what you like and worst case, take up the art of mini bashing/modding.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 14 December 2014, 20:10:39 »
I don't necessarily mean consistency as in all Davion designs must look alike. I actually like the diversity of the 'Mech designs as I feel it helps underscore the fact that the designs come from all over the timeline, from a dozen primary cultures and probably hundreds of sub cultures. I'm talking consistency in the details, do we use some sort of weird flex joint like a dryer vent, or do we use a hinge style joint? Autocannons have muzzle brakes (lets face it an unstable platform like a 'Mech is going to need to minimize felt recoil), gauss rifles are more angular/hexagonal than autocannons, lasers are square with a round focusing lens. Little things that let you pick out equipment quickly and reflect the same underlying technology. It's probably too late for even that, but a guy can dream :P

This is a rather prickly one, too, because even among the features you just listed there's room for a significant amount of difference!  I'm going to focus on muzzle brakes (or rather, on cannons), because I know those fairly well.  I'm going to post several different pictures of cannons below to demonstrate.

M1A2 Abrams (120 mm cannon)

T30 Prototype (120 mm cannon)

Jagdtiger (128 mm cannon)

Each of these uses (roughly) analogous sizes of cannon.  The first two actually both have muzzle brakes, even if it doesn't look like it at first glance.  The Abrams muzzle brake is actually halfway down the barrel, while the T30's is at the end.  The Jagdtiger doesn't even have one.  This, despite being larger than the other two in caliber.  All of these weapons have the exact same objective: Destroy enemy tanks and armor.  That's the difference that centuries and a dozen different cultures will do to you, and all of these tanks were designed within 40 years of each other.  The Jagdtiger and the T30 very nearly overlapped, even.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 14 December 2014, 20:37:12 »
The problem here is you're mixing reality with a game about robots.

In this game hovers can't go through woods. Mechs go right through them.

Wheeled vehicles can't go through water. Mechs move right through it.

Mechs can have double heat sinks, vehicles can't. 

A mech takes a crits to the leg it slows down. Vehicles do too but it's highly more likely that they'll just stop moving.

Mechs have gyros and use the inner ear of the pilot for stability. If they weren't the toughest, most stable and best option for a weapons platform in this game we wouldn't be using them. It would be a game with only tanks, infantry,BA and protos.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #38 on: 14 December 2014, 20:48:54 »
M1A2 Abrams (120 mm cannon)

T30 Prototype (120 mm cannon)

Jagdtiger (128 mm cannon)

Each of these uses (roughly) analogous sizes of cannon.  The first two actually both have muzzle brakes, even if it doesn't look like it at first glance.  The Abrams muzzle brake is actually halfway down the barrel ...

That's a fume extractor, not a muzzle brake, isn't it?

Muzzle brakes are all about recoil compensation, diverting some of the escaping gas backwards. Fume extractors are about catching some of the escaping gasses once they've done most of their work propelling the shell, limiting muzzle blast and/or jets of 'smoke' at the barrel end for visibility purposes.

Muzzle brakes usually get fitted when the gun is oversized or overpowered for the chassis. Good WW2 examples are the Marder II (75mm gun on an open top Czech chassis), and the Hetzer (similar calibre gun on similar chassis, but built into the hull). The Marder II needed a muzzle brake to avoid toppling itself, the Hetzer had (IIRC) a muzzle brake initially, but this was soon dropped - being mounted more firmly & lower in the hull, the gun was much more stable.

The Jagdtiger was sufficiently lumpen to not need help with the recoil of its 128mm gun. ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #39 on: 14 December 2014, 21:09:15 »
... are we still talking about mini's?

If your looking for sweet looking minis, the 3050 Clan Omnimech series get my vote. After that, depends on the art, the sculptor of that mini and as always, your own personal taste.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 14 December 2014, 21:16:43 »
The Jagdtiger was sufficiently lumpen to not need help with the recoil of its 128mm gun. ;)

W.

My point was that "big gun = visible muzzle brake" and any number of other "cool" but not necessarily accurate greebles are exactly that: not necessarily accurate.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #41 on: 15 December 2014, 10:45:01 »
'Mechs have a very high center of gravity compared to vees, especially tanks. They have a much smaller "footprint" as well.
This is at least partially off-set by the fact that mechs have large gyroscopes to stabilize them.  Damage the gyro and they do suffer stability penalties. 

Overall 'Mechs are a much less stable firing platform than vehicles, especially tracked tanks. Their aim suffers much more from recoil, moving, and other common factors.
The US started installing stabilizers on their tank guns as far back as WWII.  I've seen gun-cam footage of modern MBT that are able to hold a point of aim while the chassie of the tank is bouncing all over in rough terrain.  It does not seem unlikely that Mechs have similar systems to off set some of the issues with their system of locomotion while on the move.

They have limbs and muscles, and any rifleman knows that muscling a weapon is far less accurate than getting a solid platform behind it.
Despite having "limbs and muscles" mechs are still mechanical constructs, not flesh and blood, so its not unreasonable that they could more stable platforms for weapons than a human being.  They don't generally suffer fatigue from holding a rifle in the firing position or standing for long periods of time.  They don't get the shakes from too much coffee or not enough sleep or other issues that humans have.   

Now, from a real-life persective you are perfectly correct, given equal tech there are likely very few advantages to an upright, humanoid fighting vehicle as opposed to a low slung tank-like format.   However, people play BattleTech becuase they want to play with big stompy robots.  If they want "realistic" there are any number of other historical and SF games they could chose.   ;)

If your looking for sweet looking minis, the 3050 Clan Omnimech series get my vote. After that, depends on the art, the sculptor of that mini and as always, your own personal taste.   

Its funny, I actually consider the 3050 Clan OmniMechs some of my least favorite looking designs.  Strickly on looks, I much prefer the the old SLDF or contemporary IS designs over the first generation Clan stuff.  Now, some of the latter developments of the original Clan designs (Vulture IV or Mad Cat II) are much better looking, IMO at least!   ;)
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 15 December 2014, 13:23:30 »
Its funny, I actually consider the 3050 Clan OmniMechs some of my least favorite looking designs.  Strickly on looks, I much prefer the the old SLDF or contemporary IS designs over the first generation Clan stuff.  Now, some of the latter developments of the original Clan designs (Vulture IV or Mad Cat II) are much better looking, IMO at least!   ;)

If it is anything to like in IronWind/Ral-Partha minis is that SLDF, mid 31 century Inner Sphere, late 31 century, Clan, Word of Blake and Dark Age miniatures actually are different. And feels different.

I really don't like minis with no parts like Atlas, Hunchback IIC. I recently bought a Catapult and was pleased by 8 parts. That's where generally Clan omnimechs miniatures are coming in. They're modular as hell, as they should be. Optional anti infantry charges, missile pods that can be easly swapped between different minis, arms can be more or less easly swapped. If you like playing with various parts and care less about canon, you can create quite a 'Mech. Glue some riding elementals on the back for ultimate Clan experience. :)
(+)

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #43 on: 15 December 2014, 16:29:02 »
This is at least partially off-set by the fact that mechs have large gyroscopes to stabilize them.  Damage the gyro and they do suffer stability penalties. 
The US started installing stabilizers on their tank guns as far back as WWII.  I've seen gun-cam footage of modern MBT that are able to hold a point of aim while the chassie of the tank is bouncing all over in rough terrain.  It does not seem unlikely that Mechs have similar systems to off set some of the issues with their system of locomotion while on the move.
Despite having "limbs and muscles" mechs are still mechanical constructs, not flesh and blood, so its not unreasonable that they could more stable platforms for weapons than a human being.  They don't generally suffer fatigue from holding a rifle in the firing position or standing for long periods of time.  They don't get the shakes from too much coffee or not enough sleep or other issues that humans have.   

Now, from a real-life persective you are perfectly correct, given equal tech there are likely very few advantages to an upright, humanoid fighting vehicle as opposed to a low slung tank-like format.   However, people play BattleTech becuase they want to play with big stompy robots.  If they want "realistic" there are any number of other historical and SF games they could chose.   ;)

Yes they have gyros and likely stabilization systems to allow them to achieve an acceptable degree of accuracy. It doesn't change the fact that the walking gait adds a great deal of side to side movement as well as up and down. A tank doesn't have the swaying motion to compensate for and a large portion of the up and down motion is already damped by the suspension which means less work for the stabilizers. The tank is still inherently a more stable firing platform.

The muscle issue isn't really a matter of fatigue or to much coffee. When you're shooting prone the bones in your body line up behind the gun and the recoil forces are transferred directly down the ridged structure into the ground with minimal movement due to recoil. When you're standing you don't have that ridged structure to absorb the recoil and have to rely on muscles to counter the recoil. You can't apply the force to counter the recoil before the shot because that would push the shot off target. Which means you have to react and apply the force after the weapon goes off, which wouldn't be too difficult if using a computer to time the counter force when the weapon is fired. That doesn't change the fact that muscles still have more give than a ridged bone structure, the fact you are firing from a high center of gravity on a body that has a large number of flex points and low surface contact area. The ridged, low set, inflexible tank body with its higher surface contact handles recoil much much better than a 'Mech can.

We can still have 'Mechs and make it semi believable. I mean we're playing BattleTech The Game of Armored Combat! :D Hanse uses tanks and if it's good enough for him and the Horses it's good enough for me! Vehicles are heavily penalized in what's supposed to be a game of armored combat, why can't they get a bone or two thrown their way? Tracked and wheeled vehicles get -1 to all ballistic weapon attacks or something.

The problem here is you're mixing reality with a game about robots.

In this game hovers can't go through woods. Mechs go right through them.

Wheeled vehicles can't go through water. Mechs move right through it.

Mechs can have double heat sinks, vehicles can't. 

A mech takes a crits to the leg it slows down. Vehicles do too but it's highly more likely that they'll just stop moving.

Mechs have gyros and use the inner ear of the pilot for stability.

Yes I know vehicles are hampered by a number of illogical and a few logical restrictions to ensure 'Mechs are "the best." However I don't think that mixing a little reality is a problem. It's more work perhaps, but it also creates a more believable and richer setting.

For example: Why would tracked vehicles be restricted from heavy woods? In 1940 the German army blitzed through the Ardennes, in 1944 the Battle of the Bulge took place in the Ardennes. That ancient and Heavy forest didn't prevent tanks from moving through it.

'Mechs are slowed by trees because they're pushing through the branches and can't see their feet, much like if you were to push through tall bushes. Tanks on the other hand are low enough to actually be under the bottom branches while moving through woods. The tank would only have to slow down to navigate about the boles in a heavy forest, +0 movement modifier for light woods, +1 for heavy.

Obviously tanks can't ford depth 1 or greater water as depth 1 would cover them entirely. That's one of the logical restrictions and one of the in game advantages of 'Mechs, along with pushing heat, lack of exposed motive systems, jump jets, DHS, and more available tonnage.

It's a game of armored combat, giving tanks and other vees some actual advantages not shared by 'Mechs makes for a more interesting and dynamic game. A good example being hovercraft: you can easily make a hover with more speed, firepower and armour than a scout 'Mech. But the 'Mech can move through terrain that the hover can't, and it can have jump jets allowing it to ignore terrain, and it can make melee attacks. It also didn't have to worry about getting it's motive system destroyed by non penetrating hits.

Hovers have some serious advantages and disadvantages compared to 'Mechs. Non hovers, especially tracked vehicles, don't. They will always carry slightly less firepower, be more vulnerable, and suffer greater movement restrictions. Letting them move through woods faster and be more accurate, doesn't just make more sense from a realism point, but also creates more interesting gameplay.

If they weren't the toughest, most stable and best option for a weapons platform in this game we wouldn't be using them. It would be a game with only tanks, infantry,BA and protos.
Illogical. If the military only used what was the absolute best than the US would have never adopted the 9mm parabellum and .223 would have been replaced by something with more stopping power.

We use 'Mechs in the game because the rules discriminate against vehicles. However that doesn't have to be the case. I pointed out a couple of things above that could be done to create a more balanced game where vees have their uses on the table top like they do in the fluff. Without removing 'Mechs as the most versatile war machine, with the most raw firepower.

The funny thing is that the fluff treats tanks much better than the rules do. Even all the "'Mechs are kings of the battlefield" is mostly just cultural bias and the "proof" is situations horribly stacked against vees. Its very much a late middle ages knights vs yeoman situation. The Davion RCTs and later LCTs, the Republic's descison to create a vee heavy army, just prove that the complete superiority of the 'Mech is a carefully cultivated cultural bias. The Mackie v Merkava VI is the perfect example of this bias.

The Mackie v Merkava VI test is frequently held up as the "proof" that battlemechs are overwhelmingly superior to vehicles. And that test followed by several early engagements created the myth of 'Mech superiority. A myth carefully cultivated by the nobility to help ensure their power. Much like knighthood was carefully built up and exaggerated to preserve the medieval power structure.

However the Mackie v Merkava VI test and the other early engagements aren't really proof that 'Mechs are the inherently superior war machine. The Mackie had a third more mass over the Merkava VI (already obsolete before the test) 100 tons v 75 tons. The Merkava had a significantly heavier ICE engine vs the lightweight fusion engine of the Mackie. The Mackie had 4x the armor (20 tons vs 5 tons) and three main guns vs one. The Mackies three weapons all were as or more powerful than those carried by the Merkava. On top of that the Merkavas used in the "test" had their longest range and arguably most powerful weapon (LRM10 launcher) removed! Furthermore the tanks weren't crewed but rather drone controlled reducing their already obsolete, defanged and underpowered abilities even further. It's no wonder the Mackie was able to crush them so savagely, or that in other engagements similar results were achieved against similarly underpowered targets. And thus the battlemech myth was born.

We're finally starting to see tanks getting their proper respect and power in a lot of the new fluff. It's a refreshingly honest change as we see tanks like the Behemoth II crushing 'Mech forces. I can only hope as we move into a fluff where combined arms and tanks are more prominent and powerful that we see player mentalities and game rules shift from "this is a 'Mech game" to "this is a game of armored combat."

Back on the topic of the thread, I just got all my father in laws BattleTech stuff for Christmas! Flipped through the Phoenix TRO and I actually liked quite a few of the designs. Really looking forward to painting the reseen Shadow Hawk he had. Going to finish removing paint off all the 'Mechs tonight so I can get started on the painting.

Tempted to paint the plastic 'Mechs from the Third Edition box he gave me, but that decision can wait cause I've suddenly got: two Battle Masters, two T-bolts, an Archer, a Rifleman, a Shadow Hawk, a Wolverine, a Wolfhound, a Demolisher II, two Von Luckner's, two... Pegasus', a Long Tom, two MASH trucks, a Mobile HQ and a Sedlyitz to paint first :P

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 15 December 2014, 16:54:19 »
I said in this game. I said nothing about real life.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #45 on: 15 December 2014, 17:18:01 »
We use 'Mechs in the game because the rules discriminate against vehicles.
No. We use Mechs because that's what the setting is all about. It is not the game of combined arms warfare. Most of us are here because of, well, Big Stompy Robots. Really, it is that simple ;)

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 15 December 2014, 18:15:22 »
No. We use Mechs because that's what the setting is all about. It is not the game of combined arms warfare. Most of us are here because of, well, Big Stompy Robots. Really, it is that simple ;)
BattleTech: The Game of Armored Combat.

Yes 'Mechs are the poster boys for the game, doesn't change the fact the rules heavily discriminate against non-Mechs. Our that it'd be a better game if vehicles had some bonuses to offset their weaknesses.

Also I highly doubt must people are just because of the "Big Stompy Robots." Not when there is such a huge universe of novels and fluff. People wouldn't put so much time and effort into painting their units to match in universe units if our were just about the bots. You wouldn't see whole vehicle units being painted and fielded.

BattleTech is about so much more than the "Big Stompy Robots," and the table top is so much better when the rules reflect that.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 15 December 2014, 18:17:27 »
BattleTech: The Game of Armored Combat.

Yes 'Mechs are the poster boys for the game, doesn't change the fact the rules heavily discriminate against non-Mechs. Our that it'd be a better game if vehicles had some bonuses to offset their weaknesses.

Armored =/= Armor.  That, and I'd certainly contest the "fact" that the game would be better if vehicles had some arbitrary bonuses.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #48 on: 15 December 2014, 18:24:01 »
Also I highly doubt must people are just because of the "Big Stompy Robots." Not when there is such a huge universe of novels and fluff.

Pretty sure I've never read a BT novel that gave a perspective from a tanker, or a hovercraft pilot's POV. In fact, I think Aerospace is only ever mentioned in passing. It literally is "mecha time-all the time." And, oh how we loves it, precious! BRING. IT. ON. 

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #49 on: 15 December 2014, 18:58:52 »
Quote from: Scotty link=topic=43515.msg1002775#msg1002775=1418685447
Armored =/= Armor.  That, and I'd certainly contest the "fact" that the game would be better if vehicles had some arbitrary bonuses.
It's the game of armored combat, armor fighting armor. Tanks are armor, 'Mechs are armor.

All bonuses/drawbacks are arbitrary, including every single one in game. It's a game, the whole system is arbitrary! Saying tanks can't drive through woods isn't just arbitrary, it's illogical and flies in the face of historical fact. Not giving tanks a bonus for being a more stable firing platform is just as arbitrary as giving it.

How would the game not be better if there were more tactical considerations/options?

Pretty sure I've never read a BT novel that gave a perspective from a tanker, or a hovercraft pilot's POV. In fact, I think Aerospace is only ever mentioned in passing. It literally is "mecha time-all the time." And, oh how we loves it, precious! BRING. IT. ON. 
Tyra Miraborg, I think there's a Tanker pov in the Dark Ages books, I know there's an infantry perspective.

That said most of the PoV stories are from 'Mech jock perspectives because focusing on a single character is easier than on a tank crew. It creates a tighter, more easily followed narrative. However if you look at the non story fluff the importance and power of vehicles becomes apparent.

Vehicles are the mainstay of the Chaos March, integration of vehicles into the RCTs are what allowed Hanse to roll over the Capellans, vehicles are the primary fighting force of the Republic, the Behemoth II and other "modern" tanks rival 'Mechs, armored motive systems were put in place to help negate tanks main weakness. 'Mechs are the main draw, but in real life or in fiction 'Mech jocks can't seem to accept that warfare in the 31st century isn't all about them.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #50 on: 15 December 2014, 19:27:32 »
To each their own and yes, the universe certainly is about more than just Mechs. It is a very rich setting and tanks, infantry and fighters add to the setting. But at the core it is about Mechs duking it out. I always interpreted the "armored combat" part as Mechs = Knights in armor.

I always felt that one reason the click game never succeeded was that it took the focus away from the Mechs way too much. At least in the beginning.

But for all I know I may be the only one thinking this way. What I do know is that Mechs hooked me to the universe, Mechs (ok, and the story) made me come back and Mechs keep me here. I enjoy painting Mechs much more than painting tanks or warships or battle armor and I am glad the miniature line focuses in Mechs. But as I said, to each their own.

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 15 December 2014, 20:34:06 »
I get that and I absolutely love the Thunderbolt and Wolverine, I just wish some of the more obvious and egregious rules would get fixed. (I'm looking at you "tracked vehicles can't move through heavy forests!) And it'd be nice if vehicles got a bit of a boost to really allow for some awesome 'Mech v Tank combat.

I don't bring these things up because I don't like the setting, but because I love it and want to see it improve.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #52 on: 15 December 2014, 20:42:36 »
Unfortunately not everyone seems interested in that particular development.

This is where house rules usually step in. For example, I don't think infantry without heavy support weapons should be able to damage a 'Mech or tank. I mean, you could fire SMGs all day against a T-55 and not really make much of a dent. So I can play like that on my table.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 16 December 2014, 11:38:54 »
How did this turn from a discussion about minies into one about the best weapons platform?

Either way. The game is designed for mechs to be the kings of the battlefield. That's the way the game is. If you don't like it look into TacOps. Lots of stuff there to make tanks better or house rule them better. Don't complain about it. Do something about it for your games.

We don't have wysiwig police like GW does. Make the game your own and use what you want.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 16 December 2014, 15:33:30 »
I get that and I absolutely love the Thunderbolt and Wolverine, I just wish some of the more obvious and egregious rules would get fixed. (I'm looking at you "tracked vehicles can't move through heavy forests!) And it'd be nice if vehicles got a bit of a boost to really allow for some awesome 'Mech v Tank combat.

I don't bring these things up because I don't like the setting, but because I love it and want to see it improve.

So....

If  I hear you correctly, you are unhappy with the rules of the game, and the overwhelming domination of mecha in the setting (supported and reinforced by the rules), and with the overall art style of the game. You also dislike the miniatures made for the game, based on that art?

Is that right?

What did you think the response would be in a forum built for fans of the game, and a subforum expressly dedicated to the hobby of painting those miniatures, based on that artwork?  ???

I don't think you're wrong, I just think you have chosen the wrong audience, unless your express purpose is to get a reaction, in which case, good show, I suppose. Thank you for being polite and constructive in the process.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2014, 15:37:26 by klarg1 »

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #55 on: 16 December 2014, 16:24:18 »
So....

If  I hear you correctly, you are unhappy with the rules of the game, and the overwhelming domination of mecha in the setting (supported and reinforced by the rules), and with the overall art style of the game. You also dislike the miniatures made for the game, based on that art?

Is that right?

What did you think the response would be in a forum built for fans of the game, and a subforum expressly dedicated to the hobby of painting those miniatures, based on that artwork?  ???

I don't think you're wrong, I just think you have chosen the wrong audience, unless your express purpose is to get a reaction, in which case, good show, I suppose. Thank you for being polite and constructive in the process.
Not entirely, there's a few minor rules (pretty much just tanks can't move through heavy woods) that just break me out of the moment.

I don't think 'Mechs actually dominate the battlefields of the setting, just the perception of the populace. Especially moving into the Dark Age, tanks are the ones winning wars, but 'Mechs grab attention and so hog the headlines and "screen time."

I dislike pretty much all the clix art, and I am underwhelmed by a lot of the original art. However I am liking most of the Phoenix stuff now that people have pointed it out to me. I would never have considered the Phoenix Hawk until I saw the reseen Phoenix TRO version. I'm also noticing how much more detail the models have now that my original overly heavy priming has been removed. Still a little frustrated trying to glue pieces together, they seem to stuck to everything except the other model!

I came to this forum because I figured if there were high quality, easy to use plastic models in a style I would like, the people here would know. In the process I've been encouraged to take a look at the Phoenix and Primitives which it turns out I do largely like. So while I still have to deal with recalcitrant pewter I at least have models that fit my tastes.

So all in all I think this thread worked.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #56 on: 16 December 2014, 23:56:35 »
It has long struck me as funny that canon sources have made a point to show that 'Mechs are in the minority, and yet many players won't touch non-'Mech units for game play.

As another combined-arms fan, I'll second looking into the optional rules in TacOps when time and funds permit. Even just the changes to motive hits make a big difference in keeping your vehicles (especially hovercraft) moving. Without those rules, vees do take a hit in survivability. My general rule for force building is that everything is dangerous in some way. You've got to know what you're walking into, and what you want out of your units, but you can really turn some heads - and win games - by making use of those "lesser" units.

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #57 on: 17 December 2014, 10:26:23 »
Fortunately TacOps was my Christmas present last year so one I get these models painted I'll break it out.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #58 on: 17 December 2014, 14:21:38 »
Not entirely, there's a few minor rules (pretty much just tanks can't move through heavy woods) that just break me out of the moment.
I really don't quite understand this.  Admittedly, it probably takes a lot to stop a 100 ton, fusion powered tank but I can easily see acres and acres of dense, old growth forest (the sort of thing with trees 3-4 foot or more in diameter growing too closely for vehicles to pass through) doing so.  Sure, that tank can probably plow right over one or two trees like that, but dozens or hundreds of them?  I know WWII era tanks would take roads or at least trails through heavy forests, not just crash through them willy nilly and AFAIK modern armor is the same. 

Certainly the whole point of tracked vehicles is cross country capability but that does have its limitations.  Wheeled vehicles are faster on paved roads, tracked vehicles are better on rough, cratered but generally open terrain, hover vehicles are better on wide open, relativly smooth terrain.  I think the rules reflect this pretty well.

I don't think 'Mechs actually dominate the battlefields of the setting, just the perception of the populace. Especially moving into the Dark Age, tanks are the ones winning wars, but 'Mechs grab attention and so hog the headlines and "screen time."
Not in numbers, I would agree.  Especially in the later Succession Wars standard vehicles probably outnumbered 'mechs 100 to 1 if not more.  On the other hand, I do think that tactically 'mechs tended to dominate the battlefield.  Its not unreasonable that a lance of heavy mechs could route a whole company of heavy tanks, especially in terrain that favors the 'mechs (which tends to be most).

I dislike pretty much all the clix art, and I am underwhelmed by a lot of the original art. However I am liking most of the Phoenix stuff now that people have pointed it out to me.

See, that just shows that tastes differ.  While I tend to agree about the clix art in general, I can't think of a single mech in the TRO: Project Phoenix that I think looked better than the original design from TRO: 3025.  Maybe its just taste.  Maybe its just nostalgia.  Certainly does not mean I'm right and you're wrong.  Just means we are differnet.     ;)

So while I still have to deal with recalcitrant pewter I at least have models that fit my tastes.
So, you tend to prefer working in plastic then?  If so, fair enough.  You are certainly not alone in that.  Myself, I "cut my teeth" on old lead miniatures so I'm still most comfortable with pewter.  The only time I prefer plastic is for purely cost reasons (that is when it does offer a cost advantage) especially for games that require lots and lots of miniatures.  Given the choice, and if cost is not an issue, I pick metal every time.   ^-^

In the end, the game is centered around BattleMechs, and the game designers made a deliberate choice to make BattleMechs better than standard vehicles to emphasise this.  As much as I personally prefer combined arms forces to pure 'mech forces, I'm generally happy with the balance between 'mechs, vehicles and infantry in the game. 
« Last Edit: 17 December 2014, 14:29:57 by mdauben »
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 17 December 2014, 14:29:16 »
When I think about the two types of woods in this game... Light and heavy, I have to disagree with the OP's opinion of a tank just going through it with no problem.

His thought was that the branches would hinder the sight of the battlemech and not the tank. As fat as I know, branches at the base of a tree are much more dense than at the top.

Also, tracked vehicles tend to throw tracks and get things caught in them pretty easy. I should know too, I was a combat engineer and rode in tanks when I was in the army.