Author Topic: It's a bird! It's a plane! No it's Superman's younger, female cousin: Supergirl!  (Read 77953 times)

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
But they never announced the mid season finale for Super Girl. They did for the others

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
They did in my area.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
In essence that was the crossover episode..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Does it matter? I mean, the whole concept of a "mid-season finale" is kinda stupid to begin with, since it's really just the last episode before the holiday break with maybe a cliffhanger or important plot development thrown in.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Yeah it is a practice I've grown to despise in general and one I think we could do away with.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Surprised with the new episodes, this has not had any chatting going on.  I am liking the whole Guardian (James) and Winn angle, especially how he is pushing Kara to finally realize that not everyone who is NOT a super-powered person has to be just a bystander..
I also like the angle they are taking with Lana Luthor and her mom..  Very Sneaky!!

I am NOT though, liking the pairing of Maggie and Kara's sis..

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
*nod*

Obvious ratings grab is obvious.

I'll grant the actresses are doing what they can but the drek they are being handed makes it rather obvious what the writers/producers are going for.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
It is very ham-fisted attempts at social relevance, isn't it?

It hasn't really turned me off from the show yet, but things like that do grate just a little.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
My biggest issue with the Alex/Maggie pairing is that Maggie's dialogue makes it pretty obvious that she's not going to see the season out, one way or another. Of course the fact that they out and dropped a of of where Alex was going character-wise in season one didn't help either

The truth is, I've been rather meh on the retooled Supergirl. They've basically dropped the office dramady elements which for me was one of the major selling points and what made it stand apart from the other CW Superhero shows. Yes, it's a little more focused, but at the same time, it's done such at the expense of a lot of its distinctive elements.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Yeah early on the CW taking over seemed like a good thing then some of the odd turns they have been taking and how contrary some of the characters are acting versus season 1 is starting to become a bit jarring and grating for me.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
Well, I've still been liking it :)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Supergirl, but...

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
So anyone think Kat will come back for S3?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Not unless they move filming back to LA.  Calista Flockhart left the show because filming was moved to Vancouver.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Supergirl, but...

It is still far from the worst show I've ever seen but yeah there are some things that are starting to feel like major departures and contradictions.

Though to be fair I am wondering how much of this is the left over CBS meddling.  With what I know about how long it takes to go from script to finished episode I would not be surprised if a lot of this is just making the best of a lot of CBS scripts.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Not unless they move filming back to LA.  Calista Flockhart left the show because filming was moved to Vancouver.

First i am hearing about that...!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I saw an article around the time season 2 came out: she doesn't like doing long-term projects outside of LA or something.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I do remember hearing Calista saying she wouldn't come up to where the CW does a lot of it's filming(Vancouver B.C. and a fair number of places in Oregon and Washington state) as far back as the first rumors of Supergirl going to the CW instead of CBS first started surfacing and that wasn't too long after the first season ended.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
So a chess game that ends with checkmate via a white Knight?

Subtle!

Skyth

• Lieutenant

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
GhhURK.   Just saw this weeks ep..  With that MCIZZZISZK (or how ever it's spelled)..  Man are they trying to turn it into a soap..

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
MCIZZZISZK (or how ever it's spelled)

It's spelled exactly like it sounds: Mxyzptlk

;)

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Well, I learned how to pronounce it from Superman Animated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJuEbNB0u8

There was even a McGurk reference in the Supergirl episode.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2017, 16:53:50 by E. Icaza »
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Really?  Mon El was the only one to think like that?

That whole spat between Alex and Kara after the security breach was rather stupid too.  To be honest I think it would have worked better if Kara and Alex traded stances.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Really?  Mon El was the only one to think like that?

That whole spat between Alex and Kara after the security breach was rather stupid too.  To be honest I think it would have worked better if Kara and Alex traded stances.

It seems a staple in these sorts of shows when it comes to family, ONLY those outside can point out the obvious..  Kin will always have blinders on..  BUT WHAT was up with Alex letting him go like that?  MAN does she need a major RIPPING for it.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Yeah that was the worst part to me.

Alex works for a top secret government agency and has done tons of undercover work, she should have been at least willing to entertain the notion of "this was too easy".  J'onn should have too for that matter and really should have tried reading his mind sooner.

Kara the ever optimist at least makes a certain amount of sense in not questioning.

Daemion

• Major
Do they even have time for editing and fact-checking? It sounds like they need a couple people to do that ahead of production.

Although, I have to admit that Kara's also a touch on the outside looking in, since she's effectively adopted.

But, good point on J'onn not trying earlier, unless they breezed over some custom Martians have of not doing that by habit. Which is strange because Martian Manhunter was usually on the ball with at least skimming from the surface in the JLA and JLU cartoons.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
At the very least he should have tried after the security breach happened because as Kara pointed out they were right there, he could have just asked.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
I find it more unbelievable that everyone thinks Alex wouldn't let her emotions at being reunited with her dad—thought dead for 14 years but whom she recently learned was alive but trapped within an evil organization—affect her judgment. Yes, she's a trained agent but she's also only human.

J'onn's lack of mind reading Jeremiah can be easily explained by him respecting his friend's privacy. It was only once Jeremiah started acting suspicious that he tried and found out he couldn't.

I'm more concerned with how Jeremiah's cyborg arm made it past the DEO medical exam. I mean, I knew there would end up being something hinky about his damaged hand but an entire cyborg arm? Come on, man.

So, does anyone actually miss James? It's been at least two episodes since we last saw him and I can't say I care one iota. He should join Max Lord and Lucy Lane in the dustbin of departed characters I wouldn't mind never seeing again.

Daemion

• Major
I kinda miss James, or more importantly, Guardian.

Register