Author Topic: It's a bird! It's a plane! No it's Superman's younger, female cousin: Supergirl!  (Read 78461 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
It is driving my wife and I batty that we have to wait until it's up on Netflix to watch this season.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Given that she instantly figured out Wally's secret identity, it's ridiculous to think that Kara has her fooled.

Don't you mean Barry!

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Yes.  Sorry, not sure why I said Wally.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
because of some itsy bitsy timey whimey little reasons...;)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Well...  that was a very...  interesting ep..  Rather ham fisted on the liberal messaging, but to avoid a smiting for politics that's ALL i will say on that aspect of it.

Parts i liked:  The bar gal turning out to be another martian.  The guy that 'choked out kara' turned out to NOT be a bad guy.
Winn being almost felicity like in working at the DEO..  The female cop.  Olson standing in the face of that jerkwad reporter.

Things i didn't like.  You can't tell me NO ONE at that AF1 landing saw this gal with FIRE AROUND her hands, during that assault on the president... 

Skyth

• Lieutenant
The female cop is Maggie Sawyer, who is a staple in the DC universe.

And it's Miss Martian.  That was a surprise. 

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
"Hey, did we ever mention Krypton's twin planet? We didn't? Yeah, gonna have to shoehorn that in as awkwardly as possible."
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Skyth

• Lieutenant
It's not a new thing.  Mon El is an established character from Krypton's sister planet.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
It's not a new thing.  Mon El is an established character from Krypton's sister planet.

Since when is Draxx a sister planet in the comics?
It's a Kryptonian colony, but not a sister planet.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
The female cop is Maggie Sawyer, who is a staple in the DC universe.

Maybe its cause i am not a long time DC comic reader i never even heard of her before.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Since when is Draxx a sister planet in the comics?
It's a Kryptonian colony, but not a sister planet.

My point is more that there hasn't been a word about it until all of a sudden they're desperately trying to shoehorn it into their show last night. It felt very strange.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Skyth

• Lieutenant
Maybe its cause i am not a long time DC comic reader i never even heard of her before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_Sawyer

I knew about her because she was in the DCAU.  She was in Superman the Animated Series and Batman: Bad Blood.

Also, Daxam: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daxam

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
My point is more that there hasn't been a word about it until all of a sudden they're desperately trying to shoehorn it into their show last night. It felt very strange.

I get your point. That's why I understand even less, why the went the sister planet route instead of going with the comics, where Daxam is just an age old colony on which the Kryptonians evolved a bit differently.
The sister planet feels a bit forced and it would have been better had it been mentioned before, but I can buy them never mentioning it. Why would they? Kara hates the place, Clark has no connection to it whatsoever ... there was nothing to talk about so far.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_Sawyer

I knew about her because she was in the DCAU.  She was in Superman the Animated Series and Batman: Bad Blood.

Maybe that's it..  I never watch those cartoons.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
Maybe that's it..  I never watch those cartoons.

She is around in the comic books since 1987, not a DCAU creation. :)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
I kinda don't like that they actually went with the name Mon-El versus Lar Gand. Too confusing with Kara Zor-El and Kal-El if the backstory of him being thought to be a relative isn't going to be used. It would have been better, IMO, if they had his name as Lar Gand and he eventually adopted the nom de hero of Valor. At any rate, now that we've got him, I can't wait to see him in his iconic costume; they'd better not ****** with it too much. How much of the season do we think he'll last and what will this show's analog of the Phantom Zone be?

I'm fine with Daxam being a sister planet to Krypton in this continuity, though I would have preferred the colony explanation. Sad that they're all dead, since that means we won't get this:

:'(

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
That episode story did seemed forced to me. Action yes, but story was a little off.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Skyth

• Lieutenant
Well, I can say I wasn't surprised by the ending reveal...Of course, I rembered at the beginning of the show.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Well, I can say I wasn't surprised by the ending reveal...Of course, I rembered at the beginning of the show.

I was hoping they'd not do that... perfectly good opportunity for an interesting story, and they threw it away on a 'gotcha' a week after introducing the character.

Kinda losing me this season, they had a good thing going last year and I'm having a lot of trouble caring about Mondays right now.

+Crow T. Robot+

Skyth

• Lieutenant
I was hoping they'd not do that... perfectly good opportunity for an interesting story, and they threw it away on a 'gotcha' a week after introducing the character.

It's not really a 'gotcha' though.  It's keeping the character true to the comic origins.

Marwynn

• Major
This season is exactly the opposite direction I wanted the show to move in. There has to be a decent story to tell with just the core team--they're trying to be Flash Season 2 when they didn't even bother doing Flash S1.

I'm guessing a lot of viewers probably don't remember the white martian they fought in Season 1, so that reveal may just confuse the casual watchers. It's been a let down, so far.

Kinda enjoying the reporter subplot.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
I was shocked that she turned out to be a white martian.. 
As to the fight club angle, i disliked Kara for showing up, ruining that road, and just giving a telling off to that promoter.  Why didn't she arrest her butt THEN??

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Yeah as much as I get a vibe that makes me feel like the show going to the CW will lead to better things it is almost like Season 1 has been completely forgotten about and some of the things that made the show work went with it.

As someone who watched Young Justice and Justice League Unlimited nothing in this episode surprised me and thus made it a bit bleh for me.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
Interesting thing is that compared to YJ, Meghan is much older.

Plus, White Martians in YJ were a minority that was discriminated against.  Here, they are genocidal monsters.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
They are genocidal monsters in every story I have ever seen...

Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
My Deviant Art Page

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Either way for the most part there only a handful of comic book characters that I'm attached to enough to get my feathers ruffled if they are changed in some way.  Nothing in this episode bothered me in the slightest.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Another thing.  When Kara stopped the limo with the ring runner, she kinda destroyed some of that roadway..  Did anyone go out to fix it? 

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
Psst...

Road repair workers in comics have very good job security.  Even better job security than union road workers in the real world.

They always have jobs to do, and always get them done before the next issue...which also makes them FASTER than real world union road workers...;)

My Deviant Art Page

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
They always have jobs to do, and always get them done before the next issue...which also makes them FASTER than real world union road workers...;)

Aint dat the truth!

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Psst...

Road repair workers in comics have very good job security.  Even better job security than union road workers in the real world.

Plus, at least in Marvel comics, they can always call in Damage Control, Inc. if they need assistance!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_Control_(comics)

The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.