Author Topic: Clan Fire Mandrill: Monkey Talk  (Read 110535 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Clan Fire Mandrill: Monkey Talk
« Reply #450 on: 11 March 2023, 18:16:21 »
So the last we seen of Payne-Mick-Kreese is that they drop on Arcadia to challenge the Bears, the Lola III Anathema gets mentioned as being there. The Bears ignore the Zell-like Trial and shredded the Mandrills, then began packing up to leave with everyone and everything they could load up on every available spacecraft to evacuate Arcadia and go to the Inner Sphere. At the last minute this effort as interfered with by the Blood Spirits, who fired warship warning shots from the CBS Rocinante onto the planet and then another Blood Spirit Warship, the Stooping Kite, tried to do the same with a Bear jumpship, things got out of hand and the Stooping Kite destroyed it and killed a lot of Bear lower castemen. The Bear response was to throw space-capable craft they had at the Rocinante until it was a wreck, then proceed with their evacuation. It was their last action in the Homeworlds.

It does make you wonder how much Payne-Mick-Kreese warriors and equipment, perhaps even warships, they may have scooped up in the process. How much of that might have been thrown into the fight against the Blood Spirits, and how much of that might have survived to make the trip to the Inner Sphere.

The CFM Anathema is found later and elsewhere. It is found in the Marshall system having suffered some kind of system-wide shutdown (SLOT virus?) and the Stone Lions put her back into service. So it seems like it left Arcadia.

Some weird missing pieces to all this. The CFM Anathema ends up in the Marshall System for some reason. The Firehold (Carrack class) seems to disappear and the Reaver seems to disappear. Payne-Beyl-Grant's 3-warship navy ends up in an unknown place.

Certainly possible they got wiped out in all the crazy fighting in WoR era. Just not specifically mentioned.

Very interesting while I would love to say “ aha the mandrills live!!” Sadly as you stated those ships for sweep or taken out during the WOR madness

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #451 on: 23 March 2023, 12:58:10 »
Extending the thought I had in the spirit thread: IF any hybrid mandrill and spirit sibkos would have been made I imagine the mandrill side would have been: the aero and elemental focused mick kreese but which spirit genes would add in?

Extending this further: what genetic swaps could been made to jump start the proto sibkos in both clans? Kreese is a big aero line in the mandrills…
« Last Edit: 04 May 2024, 11:38:35 by Sjhernan3060 »

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #452 on: 23 March 2023, 18:16:25 »
Given how rigorous the Blood Spirit training was, I imagine plenty of their genetic legacies would be desirable. It's not as much about which phenotype they'd be best at. It's about the codex of that individual warrior. Their strengths, their weaknesses. That's a lifetime of data the Clan collected. About how fast of a learner they were. Whether they had leadership potential. Whether they had a good mind for technical skills or strategic skills or tactical skills. Whether they were the best shot in the Clan, period. Or had great physical endurance.

But with that they are probably also some less desirable stuff too. That warrior was the best shot in the Clan, but not a great strategic thinker. That other warrior was a fantastic elemental and leader, but a little on the smaller side for an elemental. That pilot pushed cognitive thinking to the max, but was just average in hand-to-hand combat, even by aero phenotype standards.

They would look at the potential pairing at that level and look for combinations that may produce outstanding results.

Think of it like building a character in a new video game, and picking attributes and skills, and trying to figure out what's the best combination. Now imagine instead of individual attributes or skills, you got to pick from dozens or hundreds of potential characters (each one a package deal of skills/attributes, a life story and lifetime of achievements and failures), then have to declare that you are mixing 2, knowing you'll potentially gain some of the skills from each. But not knowing exactly what the end result will be. So there is a certain degree of randomness to it.

But you still look for pairings that will bring out the best of whatever is desired.

There would be a degree of experimentation with it as well.

So short answer, it would be tied to the individuals being considered as candidates to be genetic parents of some trueborn, and what the matchup might look like. And it would be very based on the individual, not the reputation of the Clan or the Kindraa.

"Ok we are looking at creating some pilots, on the short list we have Blood Spirit Warrior Matthew Church, a mechwarrior, but one with very sharp reflexes and his profile suggests an excellent comprehension of 3-dimensional spaces and environments. We are thinking about pairing him with Warrior Sandra Kreese, who was a successful pilot, but primarily in atmospheric combat, some of her notable defeats were in true 3 dimensional environments like the vacuum of space. We think this combination could result in pilots who have an excellent grasp of space combat."
« Last Edit: 23 March 2023, 18:32:55 by Alan Grant »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #453 on: 23 March 2023, 20:34:01 »
Given how rigorous the Blood Spirit training was, I imagine plenty of their genetic legacies would be desirable. It's not as much about which phenotype they'd be best at. It's about the codex of that individual warrior. Their strengths, their weaknesses. That's a lifetime of data the Clan collected. About how fast of a learner they were. Whether they had leadership potential. Whether they had a good mind for technical skills or strategic skills or tactical skills. Whether they were the best shot in the Clan, period. Or had great physical endurance.

But with that they are probably also some less desirable stuff too. That warrior was the best shot in the Clan, but not a great strategic thinker. That other warrior was a fantastic elemental and leader, but a little on the smaller side for an elemental. That pilot pushed cognitive thinking to the max, but was just average in hand-to-hand combat, even by aero phenotype standards.

They would look at the potential pairing at that level and look for combinations that may produce outstanding results.

Think of it like building a character in a new video game, and picking attributes and skills, and trying to figure out what's the best combination. Now imagine instead of individual attributes or skills, you got to pick from dozens or hundreds of potential characters (each one a package deal of skills/attributes, a life story and lifetime of achievements and failures), then have to declare that you are mixing 2, knowing you'll potentially gain some of the skills from each. But not knowing exactly what the end result will be. So there is a certain degree of randomness to it.

But you still look for pairings that will bring out the best of whatever is desired.

There would be a degree of experimentation with it as well.

So short answer, it would be tied to the individuals being considered as candidates to be genetic parents of some trueborn, and what the matchup might look like. And it would be very based on the individual, not the reputation of the Clan or the Kindraa.

"Ok we are looking at creating some pilots, on the short list we have Blood Spirit Warrior Matthew Church, a mechwarrior, but one with very sharp reflexes and his profile suggests an excellent comprehension of 3-dimensional spaces and environments. We are thinking about pairing him with Warrior Sandra Kreese, who was a successful pilot, but primarily in atmospheric combat, some of her notable defeats were in true 3 dimensional environments like the vacuum of space. We think this combination could result in pilots who have an excellent grasp of space combat."

Sigh if the mandrills and spirits had to be beaten down couldn’t they have at least absorbed one or the other?

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #454 on: 24 March 2023, 00:02:36 »
Sigh if the mandrills and spirits had to be beaten down couldn’t they have at least absorbed one or the other?

They kinda did. The Spirits took in what was left of the Faraday-Tanagas at the tail end of the Reavings, and I think there's even a Star Colonel listed with one of those Bloodnames in the final TO&E of the Spirits.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #455 on: 24 March 2023, 06:38:53 »
We've been over their end every which way. It is what it is.

And hypotheticals are only fun to a point. I find it more interesting to talk about what they were when the Clan was alive.

I've been a Battletech fan and a Clan fan for at least 2 decades now. And for much of that I very much ignored them. I glossed over their section in FM: CC and moved on. They seemed quirky, they seemed weird, their deficiencies as a Clan seemed obvious. I think what I've been doing in recent years is going back over those books and paying fresh attention to the parts of the Clans (the Mandrills being a part of that) that I gave little thought or attention to for so long.

But I'm not looking to resurrect them. That's somewhere between entertainment value only and a waste of mental energy, because they are gone. Rather...I feel like in some ways I'm having the conversations I didn't have about them, I didn't have 10, 20 years ago. And particularly learning and I've had fun dissecting, comteplating, grasping/understanding and discussing the Clan. And we know so much more now. With books about Operation Klondike and the Golden Century, and a book on Smythe-Jewel. We have so much more useful info.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2023, 07:14:34 by Alan Grant »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #456 on: 24 March 2023, 09:51:52 »
We've been over their end every which way. It is what it is.

And hypotheticals are only fun to a point. I find it more interesting to talk about what they were when the Clan was alive.

I've been a Battletech fan and a Clan fan for at least 2 decades now. And for much of that I very much ignored them. I glossed over their section in FM: CC and moved on. They seemed quirky, they seemed weird, their deficiencies as a Clan seemed obvious. I think what I've been doing in recent years is going back over those books and paying fresh attention to the parts of the Clans (the Mandrills being a part of that) that I gave little thought or attention to for so long.

But I'm not looking to resurrect them. That's somewhere between entertainment value only and a waste of mental energy, because they are gone. Rather...I feel like in some ways I'm having the conversations I didn't have about them, I didn't have 10, 20 years ago. And particularly learning and I've had fun dissecting, comteplating, grasping/understanding and discussing the Clan. And we know so much more now. With books about Operation Klondike and the Golden Century, and a book on Smythe-Jewel. We have so much more useful info.

Very well said!

I also scorned the mandrills 20ish years ago but now I really enjoy how quirky and fierce they are

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #457 on: 24 March 2023, 11:07:59 »
That all being said, if you want to discuss Mandrill hypotheticals, you're welcome to do so here. Anyone who doesn't want to do so isn't being forced to participate; everyone's free to start the discussion they want to have.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #458 on: 24 March 2023, 13:02:17 »
They kinda did. The Spirits took in what was left of the Faraday-Tanagas at the tail end of the Reavings, and I think there's even a Star Colonel listed with one of those Bloodnames in the final TO&E of the Spirits.
It is interesting, that the Star Adders got the Mandrill legacies of Faraday and Kreese (among others). They do have access to Blood Spirits, either.
Maybe we might see Spirit-Mandrill sibkos under the aegis of the Star Adders.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #459 on: 24 March 2023, 13:05:12 »
I highly doubt that will ever happen. The Adders specifically made a point to bury the Spirits' genetic repository and had nothing but contempt for them as a Clan. Nothing about that indicates that they'd have any inclination to use their genetic material even if they did have access to it (they don't, AFAIK).
« Last Edit: 24 March 2023, 13:08:25 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #460 on: 24 March 2023, 14:01:19 »
Do not forget the main genetic repository on Strana Mechty. It was nowhere mentioned that the Adders destroyed this and the writers could have the chance to use this for future develoments.
And the genetic repository on Colleen was buried under just some thousand tons of mountain. Modern machines and tools can remove quite huge masses of rocks very fast.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #461 on: 24 March 2023, 14:23:52 »
If the Adders really wanted the Spirits' genetic material, they would've taken it instead of literally burying it underneath a mountain. I cannot think of a more magnificently obnoxious bit of canon to point to and say "the idea doesn't hold water" than that.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2023, 14:27:46 by tassa_kay »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #462 on: 02 April 2023, 00:37:38 »
Kindraa mick kreese is noted as having alot of SLDF vintage equipment and or a good percentage of some of its units down for maintenance at any time, what should they do to fix this? Should they trial for more raw materials or seek to capture more manufacturing capacity?

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #463 on: 02 April 2023, 06:41:20 »
It's never really explained where the shortfall is, so we can only speculate based on what we more broadly know about the Mandrills. Do they lack sufficient trained techs? Do they lack sufficient parts?

To me that reference is an example of what we are told in canon. That the Fire Mandrills economy is rather small and inefficient. That the Kindraa setup causes a lot of duplication of caste roles between them. That the Clan as a whole tends to be on the resource poor side of the spectrum. And that a lot of the Clan's resources get tied up (and expended) through the day-to-day fighting with other Kindraa. This is often referenced in the fact that the lower castes don't have time for innovation, as they are tied up in the day-to-day needs of the Kindraa.

That kind of thing may be a lot more common among the Mandrills than we realize. It's very telling to me that everything says the Mandrills went into the Trials to decide which Clan would join the invasion, with a lot of battle damage not fully repaired.

Those Trials were the focus of the Homeworlds when they happened. Watched very closely everywhere. It was like the real world Olympics. Big event on full display.

Now imagine the opening ceremonies of the Olympics and the games of the Olympics and every nation is sporting shiny uniforms, shiny good-looking equipment, but one. That one team, their stuff looks a little ragged. The swim team's caps have holes in them that have been patched (instead of replacing the cap). Athletes for running events are wearing shoes that look like they are pretty worn out. The athletes from that team go to get their javelins for the javelin throw and some of them are cracked and have been wrapped or repaired instead of replaced.

That is the Mandrills.

By whatever name...burn rate, expenditure rate, I bet the Mandrills go through equipment pretty fast. Even if it isn't destroyed, it requires a lot of repairs and maintenance and the Mandrill logistical capacity for that is limited. The Mick-Kreese reference to a lot of airframes being down for maintenance is just one reference, to what I suspect is a much more widespread phenomenon among the Mandrills, especially during times of heightened frequency of Trials.

I think it's very telling that in Mechwarrior's Guide to the Clans, in the Fire Mandrill Kindraa Clash Tour of Duty, one of the possible roll results (6) reads that your (the character's) combat style is hard on the equipment. You spend most of the year dispossessed.

You don't see Dispossessed on many (maybe none, I haven't seen it) on the other Tour of Duty roll options associated with the Clans. That logistical reserve is prettys hallow.

In that same Kindraa Clash Tour of Duty a 5 roll results in: The pace! The constant fighting day after day....another alert. When does it end?

Yet a third roll reads "You should rest up more between battles" which sees an increase in military skills but a decrease in BOD.

That speaks to another aspect of the Mandrills. They don't have sufficient reserves to rotate units away from combat for long. Of course that takes a toll on the equipment, as well as the warriors, and the techs, everybody.

But if you truly were trying to solve this problem, the fastest solution is to win more resources (specialized techs, manufacturing facilities like an ASF factory or factories that produce component parts that go into ASFs). In general, you'd try to deepen the logistical resource. Shift or increase production of spare parts for example. If it's a manpower shortfall then grabbing some more ASF techs.

My gut feeling is that their logistical reserve capacity (spare airframe availability, spare parts availability, manpower/man hours) just isn't adequate. That they are forced to make-do with the bare minimum and sometimes less than that at times of Trial peak intensity. I also suspect that supporting 2 warships ties up a lot of their resources, particularly the Potemkin, that is a very big warship. Setting aside the fact that it's a Dropship carrier above all, in terms of resources required to maintain it, it's up there with the battleships.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2023, 07:08:20 by Alan Grant »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #464 on: 02 April 2023, 11:35:07 »
It's never really explained where the shortfall is, so we can only speculate based on what we more broadly know about the Mandrills. Do they lack sufficient trained techs? Do they lack sufficient parts?

To me that reference is an example of what we are told in canon. That the Fire Mandrills economy is rather small and inefficient. That the Kindraa setup causes a lot of duplication of caste roles between them. That the Clan as a whole tends to be on the resource poor side of the spectrum. And that a lot of the Clan's resources get tied up (and expended) through the day-to-day fighting with other Kindraa. This is often referenced in the fact that the lower castes don't have time for innovation, as they are tied up in the day-to-day needs of the Kindraa.

That kind of thing may be a lot more common among the Mandrills than we realize. It's very telling to me that everything says the Mandrills went into the Trials to decide which Clan would join the invasion, with a lot of battle damage not fully repaired.

Those Trials were the focus of the Homeworlds when they happened. Watched very closely everywhere. It was like the real world Olympics. Big event on full display.

Now imagine the opening ceremonies of the Olympics and the games of the Olympics and every nation is sporting shiny uniforms, shiny good-looking equipment, but one. That one team, their stuff looks a little ragged. The swim team's caps have holes in them that have been patched (instead of replacing the cap). Athletes for running events are wearing shoes that look like they are pretty worn out. The athletes from that team go to get their javelins for the javelin throw and some of them are cracked and have been wrapped or repaired instead of replaced.

That is the Mandrills.

By whatever name...burn rate, expenditure rate, I bet the Mandrills go through equipment pretty fast. Even if it isn't destroyed, it requires a lot of repairs and maintenance and the Mandrill logistical capacity for that is limited. The Mick-Kreese reference to a lot of airframes being down for maintenance is just one reference, to what I suspect is a much more widespread phenomenon among the Mandrills, especially during times of heightened frequency of Trials.

I think it's very telling that in Mechwarrior's Guide to the Clans, in the Fire Mandrill Kindraa Clash Tour of Duty, one of the possible roll results (6) reads that your (the character's) combat style is hard on the equipment. You spend most of the year dispossessed.

You don't see Dispossessed on many (maybe none, I haven't seen it) on the other Tour of Duty roll options associated with the Clans. That logistical reserve is prettys hallow.

In that same Kindraa Clash Tour of Duty a 5 roll results in: The pace! The constant fighting day after day....another alert. When does it end?

Yet a third roll reads "You should rest up more between battles" which sees an increase in military skills but a decrease in BOD.

That speaks to another aspect of the Mandrills. They don't have sufficient reserves to rotate units away from combat for long. Of course that takes a toll on the equipment, as well as the warriors, and the techs, everybody.

But if you truly were trying to solve this problem, the fastest solution is to win more resources (specialized techs, manufacturing facilities like an ASF factory or factories that produce component parts that go into ASFs). In general, you'd try to deepen the logistical resource. Shift or increase production of spare parts for example. If it's a manpower shortfall then grabbing some more ASF techs.

My gut feeling is that their logistical reserve capacity (spare airframe availability, spare parts availability, manpower/man hours) just isn't adequate. That they are forced to make-do with the bare minimum and sometimes less than that at times of Trial peak intensity. I also suspect that supporting 2 warships ties up a lot of their resources, particularly the Potemkin, that is a very big warship. Setting aside the fact that it's a Dropship carrier above all, in terms of resources required to maintain it, it's up there with the battleships.

Alan thank you! What a fascinating summary of the perils and potential of the mandrills from a campaign story point of view and why they quite often (literally) shot them selves in the foot. A number of folks have noted that the strain of maintaining their two warships especially the Potemkin would have been immense. Perhaps mick kreese could have used that ship to assist other kindraa or the spirits in their exploration efforts for a few

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #465 on: 02 April 2023, 15:00:34 »
Thanks!   :)

With a lot of their resources devoted to 2 warships, including a massive Potemkin, and the rest devoted to a sizable air force (and air power is a very fragile thing, a fighter shot down is hard to salvage), it is not hard to see that Mick-Kreese is spread thin. Such a strong emphasis on Elementals should in theory be saving Mick-Kreese some resources (after all an elemental suit is a lot cheaper than a BattleMech) but the total size of their force suggests that they share a trait with Kline that they'd not care to admit, they have an easier time getting bodies (warriors) than they do a lot of spare equipment in reserve.

It is also worth noting that compared to Beyl-Grant, they support a larger air force (150 versus 110 fighters, according to FM: CC, and that doesn't include any independent detachments, such as perhaps an aero star found on a warship). But they also show signs of stress maintaining this size as the 23rd Air Assault seems to have maintenance problems. Given their rivalry with Beyl-Grant this almost makes sense, in the event of a true short and brutal air war, Mick-Kreese would have an advantage in pilots and machines they can put into the sky to overwhelm Beyl-Grant. That may be why Mick-Kreese is willing to accept this situation, rather than scaling back and maintaining a deeper reserve of equipment.

In true Clan Trial fashion they think that any massive air war with Beyl-Grant will be done and over in a matter of days, and so having the most pilots and airframes that you can possibly have, today, is the smarter play than stacking up hangars full of spares.

It makes sense to Clan logic. It's also the same kind of logic that led the Crusader Clans to bring insufficient units and supplies in Operation Revival. It works... if you do actually win the war hard and fast.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2023, 15:02:23 by Alan Grant »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #466 on: 03 April 2023, 16:23:47 »
Ok mandrill fans please answer me this: I have seen some cool mandrill minis with the “ faces” of the Mech painted like a mandrill and it’s often blue and red but all the picts I seen of the actual fire mandrill is of a reddish brown face. So if you paint your faces what color scheme do you use? Photos of you have them as well

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #467 on: 03 April 2023, 16:46:03 »
FWIW, the logo of Clan Fire Mandrill shows the multi-colored face.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #468 on: 08 April 2023, 15:09:01 »
I know the mandrills had the flame based salamander power armor but did they also use flame based mechs or tanks?

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #469 on: 08 April 2023, 23:05:35 »
Golden Century mentions them being the inventor of the Clan-spec Flamer as it currently exists IIRC, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

Jean Cocteau

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #470 on: 09 April 2023, 05:32:19 »
Golden Century mentions them being the inventor of the Clan-spec Flamer as it currently exists IIRC, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

Thank you that may have been a bit too literal even for the mandrills!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #471 on: 18 April 2023, 12:43:04 »
As part of their bromance the blood spirits Iota galaxy had a mandrill inspired paint scheme. As far as I can tell the mandrills did not do the same. But if they did what paint scheme would you recommend?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #472 on: 27 April 2023, 16:21:04 »
Here's a mental challenge for everybody. How could the writers have changed the Fire Mandrills to make them a more active and more successful Clan? That could mean going all the way back to pre-FM: CC and fleshing them out from their introduction to the universe, or maybe something that they did or changed at any point in their history.

Key limitation, can't do away with the Kindraa concept. Think of that as a defining pillar of the Clan that you can't remove.

Success in this is rated by changing the fewest things, yet having a big impact.

I was thinking about this alot and what comes to mind is their fleet: in cannon they had a very small fleet ( 7?) warships divided UNEVENLY amongst the kindraa. If instead they had one of the larger fleets say north of 15 or perhaps even 20 warships along with a shipyards ( such as the chiops yards the burrocks had but only in FM CC) but divided up amongst the kindraa so they would have nearly been impossible to mass against a foe. The strain of maintaining the fleet would have underscored their chronic resource problems but could have been more offset with the resources gained from shipping, escort fees and or selling yard time

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #473 on: 26 May 2023, 19:44:51 »
This is one of the areas, I believe they shot themselves in the foot.  The Warship fleet should have always been manned by a mix Kindraa to prevent a polarization of the Clan's strongest asset.  The same goes for their Merchant fleet.  Let the Kindraa be Kindraa, but let the larger functions of trade and warship protection be centrally controlled.

Swinging back to this I really this idea and it could have developed some interesting story ideas: a non political ( or at least less so!) navy which strove to serve the whole clan. It also could have built bridges amongst the kindraa. The mick kreese with their awesome elementals and captains could have serve along side other kindraa they often did not know or even like to build bonds

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #474 on: 26 May 2023, 20:36:30 »
The problem with that idea is that unless all of the WarShips captains come from the same Kindraa, they'd just end up blowing each up at some point. And if all of the WarShip captains are from the same Kindraa, that Kindraa would absolutely use the holy hell out of that fleet to bully the other Kindraa. It's just baked into who the Mandrills are.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2023, 09:41:43 by tassa_kay »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #475 on: 26 May 2023, 22:04:18 »
The problem with that idea is that unless all of the WarShips captains come from the same Kindraa, they'd just end up blowing each up at some point. And if all of the WarShip captains are from the same Kindraa, that Kindraa would absolute the holy hell out of that fleet to bully the other Kindraa. It's just baked into who the Mandrills are.

It’s what I once hated about them
But now chuckle at and appreciate

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #476 on: 07 June 2023, 18:41:44 »
kindraa  mick kreese kline wil be ilkindraa, you can all be sure of that  [rockon]

They are to me!

Speaking of which I just received a nice batch of gnome,afreet and salamander battle armor. Have you all used these and if so how did you like them?

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #477 on: 07 June 2023, 19:19:13 »
I'm partial to the Salamander. They're nasty, nasty things to throw at unprepared players and opponents, especially considering that battle armor doesn't follow zellbriggen like MechWarriors do. They're great ambushers, especially in city environments.

Jean Cocteau

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #478 on: 08 June 2023, 16:33:47 »
I'm partial to the Salamander. They're nasty, nasty things to throw at unprepared players and opponents, especially considering that battle armor doesn't follow zellbriggen like MechWarriors do. They're great ambushers, especially in city environments.

Thanks! I ordered more and will share them with my blood spirits. I am
Building a kindraa mick kreese force which is noted as having a very aero and elemental bias. Because of that I would think they try to have all the battle armor goodies. For example the slyph the VTOL armor which is noted as weird and bad but I feel they would try them

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #479 on: 08 June 2023, 23:57:25 »
Thanks! I ordered more and will share them with my blood spirits. I am
Building a kindraa mick kreese force which is noted as having a very aero and elemental bias. Because of that I would think they try to have all the battle armor goodies. For example the slyph the VTOL armor which is noted as weird and bad but I feel they would try them

Sylphs are fun, too, and definitely deserve more love. One of these days I'll get around to trying out that supernova trinary idea I had of mixing ProtoMechs with Sylph battle armor, just for the giggles of the whole thing.

Jean Cocteau

Register