Author Topic: Clan Fire Mandrill: Monkey Talk  (Read 107394 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Clan Fire Mandrill: Monkey Talk
« Reply #480 on: 13 June 2023, 19:43:06 »
Sylphs are fun, too, and definitely deserve more love. One of these days I'll get around to trying out that supernova trinary idea I had of mixing ProtoMechs with Sylph battle armor, just for the giggles of the whole thing.

Well my force will be heavy on the protos so thanks for the suggestion!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #481 on: 26 June 2023, 10:05:59 »
I was wondering about “bodyguard mechs”such as the Minsk which is designed to protect officers etc due to their fanatical devotion to their kindraa do we think the mandrills would pilot such mechs to protect their kindraa leaders? Or would their equally fanatical drive to prove themselves individually make them reluctant to do so?

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #482 on: 26 June 2023, 13:33:50 »
I don't see the warrior relationship with their Kindraa leader being any different than the warrior relationship with a Khan in a different Clan.

And if anything, the prevalence of small Trials as being the norm for the Mandrills makes a dedicated bodyguard machine feel too specialized. If most Mandrill Trials were Star-to-Trinary size, on average in the day-to-day. In such fights you don't have the extra assets on the battlefield to devote to something as specialized as bodyguard duty. In a Trial like that, Star versus Star for example, you don't have the luxury to hold something back as a bodyguard. You need everything on the frontline, or serving as a scout/recon/harasser or maybe providing fire support from just behind the front-line, but that's about it.

For other Clans, in a Cluster scale engagement, we might be talking about 1 Bodyguard 'mech out of 45 'mechs in a cluster. 1/45.

In a Mandrill small Trial, a bodyguard 'mech takes up 1/5 or 1/15.

It's too large a percentage. It only starts to look appropriate at mass engagements. I'm talking Galaxy level engagements. That's when it's such a small percentage, that you can afford to hold back a dedicated bodyguard 'mech or two.

So in general the concept doesn't make a lot of sense in smaller fights. Add to that the traditional Clan stigma against such a support machine when Zell 1-v-1 dueling is the traditional preference.

I'll add one more layer on top of that. Some Kindraa don't have particularly diverse manufacturing, the range of machines they build themselves is pretty limited. So as a Kindraa Leader, if that's my reality, then I want to make sure my Kindraa is build gooding, versatile, well-rounded machines that will be capable in a wide array of situations. I can't afford to slot manufacturing to a machine that fills a super niche role that I don't need a lot of.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2023, 13:46:12 by Alan Grant »

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #483 on: 26 June 2023, 15:50:08 »
I think Alan Grant laid it out pretty well.

More likely than a dedicated bodyguard would be a Khan/Kindraa Leader's Champion, someone that could take the burden of some of those trials for the Kindraa Leader or Khan isn't swamped with trials or can be used when the Khan or Kindraa Leader's 'Mech is down for repairs. Now would someone in that position take a Minsk? Possibly for the firepower or for less-equipped Kindraa, but something more common is more likely.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #484 on: 26 June 2023, 16:29:17 »
I would just assume that each Kindraa's Command Trinary fulfills the role, given that they're the closest thing that the Mandrills have to Keshiks and that's literally the purpose of Keshiks, to be bodyguards for their Khans.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #485 on: 01 July 2023, 11:49:53 »
I don't see the warrior relationship with their Kindraa leader being any different than the warrior relationship with a Khan in a different Clan.

And if anything, the prevalence of small Trials as being the norm for the Mandrills makes a dedicated bodyguard machine feel too specialized. If most Mandrill Trials were Star-to-Trinary size, on average in the day-to-day. In such fights you don't have the extra assets on the battlefield to devote to something as specialized as bodyguard duty. In a Trial like that, Star versus Star for example, you don't have the luxury to hold something back as a bodyguard. You need everything on the frontline, or serving as a scout/recon/harasser or maybe providing fire support from just behind the front-line, but that's about it.

For other Clans, in a Cluster scale engagement, we might be talking about 1 Bodyguard 'mech out of 45 'mechs in a cluster. 1/45.

In a Mandrill small Trial, a bodyguard 'mech takes up 1/5 or 1/15.

It's too large a percentage. It only starts to look appropriate at mass engagements. I'm talking Galaxy level engagements. That's when it's such a small percentage, that you can afford to hold back a dedicated bodyguard 'mech or two.

So in general the concept doesn't make a lot of sense in smaller fights. Add to that the traditional Clan stigma against such a support machine when Zell 1-v-1 dueling is the traditional preference.

I'll add one more layer on top of that. Some Kindraa don't have particularly diverse manufacturing, the range of machines they build themselves is pretty limited. So as a Kindraa Leader, if that's my reality, then I want to make sure my Kindraa is build gooding, versatile, well-rounded machines that will be capable in a wide array of situations. I can't afford to slot manufacturing to a machine that fills a super niche role that I don't need a lot of.

As per usual I think alan grant you have addressed my question in detail! The Minsk seems to be a better fit for the blood spirits who maintained the “ blooding “ award which honored warriors who saved their comrades and achieved victory

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #486 on: 07 July 2023, 20:56:04 »
Nothing specific that I can immediately recall, but there is some fluff about how the Mandrills would occasionally raid Huntress to test the Jags. If I'm remembering correctly, of course. I'll have to go through a book or two later, because now you've got me actually curious.

I know the jags and mandrills feuded but did the Crusader kindraa get along with them?

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #487 on: 08 July 2023, 13:54:05 »
The book Warriors of Kerensky tells us that regular fighting earned the Burrocks and Jaguars something like "traditional enemy" status.

So I'm guessing no, and it's not like the Jaguars ever did them any Mandrill-specific special favors that we know of. We do know they were neighbors on Atreus, considering Trialing against your enclave neighbors was a particular favorite activity of both Clans, it's easy to see how they would come to loath each other. Or consider each other a primary target anytime they had the itch or need to declare a Trial of Possession for something.

We know Mick-Kreese had a strong presence on Atreus, because in FM: CC both the Kindraa command unit and another Cluster were on Atreus, alongside a cluster from Faraday-Tanaga.

I'd say any Kindraa that shared a border with the Jaguars probably also fought them a lot. Because of how strict and tough the Jaguars were on their lower castes (causing them not to flourish at all), they depended a lot on the warriors to trial for whatever the Clan needed, making them an extremely aggressive Clan. The Jaguars were the epitome of the idea that you don't need to plant your own crops when you can just kill your neighbor and take theirs.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2023, 14:24:54 by Alan Grant »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #488 on: 08 July 2023, 16:08:38 »
The book Warriors of Kerensky tells us that regular fighting earned the Burrocks and Jaguars something like "traditional enemy" status.

So I'm guessing no, and it's not like the Jaguars ever did them any Mandrill-specific special favors that we know of. We do know they were neighbors on Atreus, considering Trialing against your enclave neighbors was a particular favorite activity of both Clans, it's easy to see how they would come to loath each other. Or consider each other a primary target anytime they had the itch or need to declare a Trial of Possession for something.

We know Mick-Kreese had a strong presence on Atreus, because in FM: CC both the Kindraa command unit and another Cluster were on Atreus, alongside a cluster from Faraday-Tanaga.

I'd say any Kindraa that shared a border with the Jaguars probably also fought them a lot. Because of how strict and tough the Jaguars were on their lower castes (causing them not to flourish at all), they depended a lot on the warriors to trial for whatever the Clan needed, making them an extremely aggressive Clan. The Jaguars were the epitome of the idea that you don't need to plant your own crops when you can just kill your neighbor and take theirs.

Great reminder that my fav kindraa ( mick kreese) was on Atreus! Did they snatch it up after the jags fall?

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #489 on: 08 July 2023, 16:33:22 »
FM: CC in their history section at the tail end notes that various Kindraa have been poking at Jaguar holdings on Atreus, after the gutting of that Clan by the Inner Sphere.

By 3062 the Mandrills controlled 65 percent of Atreus, the Ice Hellions control the rest. (WoK)

By FM: Updates set in 3066 I believe, it's 58 (FM) and 52 percent (IH). Faraday-Tanaga at this point has a second Cluster on Atreus.

I don't think Mick-Kreese really was the one profiting from all this or at least it turned around against them. Have you read Wars of Reaving page 17? Elaborates a little more on how Mick-Kreese contributed 2 Clusters to a Blood Spirit attack on a Star Adder stronghold on Tathis in 3067, they were joined by Kline. Both suffered badly and ended up consolidating to form one Kindraa.

In the book Wars of Reaving, if you have the PDF version, do a keyword search for Kreese. You'll see that Mick-Kreese did several things, including fighting the Horses in 3068. Several sections related to the rise of Khan Sainze are also very directly relevant to Mick-Kreese. Particularly what happened on Albion that really hurt Mick-Kreese badly. Not just in forces lost but in loss of reputation and standing.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2023, 16:36:41 by Alan Grant »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #490 on: 08 July 2023, 16:44:34 »
My research has Atreus split between three Clans in 3052 during the Clan Invasion. Fire Mandrill, Ice Hellion, and Smoke Jaguar. Both the First Battle Cluster and the 16th Assault Cluster of Faraday-Tanaga were present in 3059. I would speculate that this planet could have been the Kindraa's de facto capital but the 23rd Air Assault Force of Mick-Kreese was also present. So I have the 30% of the planet divided 20/10 respectively between these Kindraa. There are two factories on world as well one belonging to Faraday-Tanaga (Predator BattleMech) and the other the Smoke Jaguars (Jagatai and Kirghiz).

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #491 on: 29 August 2023, 13:44:55 »
Do to the um even more violent day to day life of a mandrill I wonder if mandrill warriors got their first kills in early and really focused on being the “biggest dawg in the yard” even more so then other clanners?

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #492 on: 29 August 2023, 15:50:12 »
I'm really not sure what you are asking.

What's the "biggest dawg in the yard?" And how is that different from what all Clan warriors are doing all the time?

All Clan warriors are ultimately obsessed with victories. Winning victories, winning Trials of all types. Kills can be part of it, but it doesn't matter if you score a lot of kills but ultimately lose the Trial. The victory matters more than the kill count (although that is certainly a factor that is tracked).

Your question frames kills as a separate goal from "biggest dawg in the yard" and I'm not sure what that means. If they aren't winning Trials (kills often being a byproduct of that) to demonstrate their prowess as a warrior, then what are they doing instead that makes them the biggest "dawg in the yard?"

Request you clarify.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2023, 06:30:55 by Alan Grant »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #493 on: 30 August 2023, 07:51:32 »
I'm really not sure what you are asking.

What's the "biggest dawg in the yard?" And how is that different from what all Clan warriors are doing all the time?

All Clan warriors are ultimately obsessed with victories. Winning victories, winning Trials of all types. Kills can be part of it, but it doesn't matter if you score a lot of kills but ultimately lose the Trial. The victory matters more than the kill count (although that is certainly a factor that is tracked).

Your question frames kills as a separate goal from "biggest dawg in the yard" and I'm not sure what that means. If they aren't winning Trials (kills often being a byproduct of that) to demonstrate their prowess as a warrior, then what are they doing instead that makes them the biggest "dawg in the yard?"

Request you clarify.

Thanks for the clarification request I was wondering if the mandrills prized killiness to a point where it impeded their development. Team work, long term or medium term planning and diplomacy seem to be nonexistent expect for their dealings with the blood spirits

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #494 on: 30 August 2023, 08:46:10 »
They do seem to overly caught up in the day-to-day Trials and survival of the Kindraa. They don't have a tremendous amount of reserve warriors in quiet garrisons or extra industry. So the average Fire Mandrill warrior is fighting more battles/Trials, and is more just caught up in that day-to-day high level of activity than perhaps warriors in some other Clans.

I say that because of a line in the Fire Mandrill Kindraa clashing life path. Which, to paraphrase says something like "Other Clan warriors view quiet periods where there is no Trials as something to fear. You have never known such a thing, there is always another Trial to fight."

That line speaks a lot about the day-to-day existence of a Fire Mandrill warrior. There's no quiet garrison Cluster backwater. There's no Clusters that get pulled off active duty to train and rebuild for months. When Aidan Pryde reformed the Falcon Guards they were pulled from active duty and allowed to train as a unit for a while before being put into service. The Mandrill clusters don't appear to have that option. They just keep your unit deployed full time, and Trials (offense or defense) can come at any time.

The Kindraas are just too small, militarily, to do anything else. I do think that probably stifles a lot of medium- and long-term planning.

But that isn't because they are "kill crazy." It is because they don't have the reserve capacity to do anything else but stick to that day-to-day survival and success focus. They need "all hands on deck" all the time. Just to survive. When you are stuck in that day-to-day mindset it is very difficult to take a step back and do anything else. I imagine day-to-day existence for Mandrill warriors is quite physically and mentally exhausting, and the best they can hope for is to get some food and sleep and minimal R&R before the next scramble alert.

Honestly for most of the eras that we get to know the Fire Mandrills, in my eyes they are hanging on to life by their finger nails and just one big disaster away from crippling the Kindraa and prompting them to merge with other Kindraa to continue to survive. It's because of that.

It's also clear that this is how most of the other Clans perceive the Mandrills. They look at them as this Clan that is doomed to fail. That it's not a question of "if" but "when" they fail. They aren't wrong. There are hints that they could do better, that is what Khan Amanda Carrol was trying to achieve in her time in office. But then she's out and they go back to the downward slide.

Kindraa Faraday-Tanaga is the notable departure from that. They have this reputation for being almost stoic, often quiet, contemplative. Their reputation is that of long-term planners. They also don't seem to get dragged into many of the conflicts of the 3050s through to the start of the WoR era. They are oddly quiet. But that also means they avoid some of the battlefield disasters that befall many of the other Kindraa that causes them to consolidate with other Kindraa in that era. But then disaster befalls them anyway in the WoR era. They just get chewed up by events beyond their control.

For the Mandrills as a whole, their internal teamwork is probably excellent. Internal as in trothkin and fellow members of the Kindraa (and the Kindraa being much smaller than a Clan, it's probably easier to get to know a lot of your fellow Kindraa warriors fairly well). It is the people outside of that which they get prickly with.

The Blood Spirits have that same attribute. Strong internal ties, prickly and untrusting to outsiders. That explains a lot about why that diplomatic friendship moved toward progress, but very very slowly. That's reflected in some attitudes in writing in the Blood Spirit section of FM: CC. Which shows some individuals, I think members of one Galaxy in particular, were advocates of a closer relationship with the Fire Mandrills. But at the same time many others continued to espouse that isolationist attitude. So, it's a very gradual relationship that builds slowly and probably with plenty of people on both sides saying they should NOT be friends.

But both Clans are resource poor, stretched thin, and don't have a lot of friends. So, in truth they they don't have a lot to offer each other. A few joint R&D projects, a little sharing of their already slim resources. It's an incremental improvement. It's not game-changing for either of them.

What the Mandrills REALLY needed was a powerful friend, not a weak friend.

We see the Cloud Cobras, a Clan with a relatively small touman (Like the Mandrills), join forces with the 3-way "Snake Clan Alliance". They ultimately survive. That's the kind of network the Mandrills needed to survive. Something like that, strong alliances with powerful Clans. Not 1 alliance with 1 resource poor Clan.

If they had managed an alliance with the Star Adders, much like the Cobras, and much like the Stone Lions, who came under their protection, the Fire Mandrills (or some portion of them) might still exist. IMO
« Last Edit: 30 August 2023, 09:07:49 by Alan Grant »

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #495 on: 01 September 2023, 08:21:23 »
Do you all think it's fair to say the only named Fire Mandrill who looks good coming out of the WoR era is Star Colonel Hampton Schroeder?

He's the only non-Sainze Star Colonel in Kindraa Sainze. On I believe Niles, he waged a successful Trial against the Horses and gets a shout-out for a successful rear flanking maneuver that wins the Trial. It's one of the few times we see a significant win against another, more powerful Clan.

Later on Dagda, he leads the Mandrill survivors through I'm guessing fighting the Society, through the orbital bombardment and the eruption of a volcano, that leaves Dagda a mess until the Scorpions arrive. It's not clear how many Mandrills survive but they describe them filling up the Hephaestus (Cameron-class) and its dropships. It says they are a mix of warriors, scientists and technicians. So, I'm thinking hundreds of people. Then Star Colonel Schroeder fights a boxing match against the Scorpion saKhan to decide a Trial of Possession style absorption.

He loses, gets knocked unconscious after several rounds, but it certainly feels like it was more about preserving honor and Clan tradition than actually trying to win. It sounds like those Mandrills really needed that rescue to survive.

--- An aside. I would be very curious to know if the Mandrills on Dagda were of different Kindraa and had banded together at that point. If they had set aside their Kindraa differences to work together. Because that would have been epic. Or if they were just all of Kindraa Sainze.

....Back to the main point..

And then... ultimately as we all know the Scorpions leave the Homeworlds. Not sure how many Fire Mandrills are part of that, but it's easy to imagine some of them are.

It feels to me like Star Colonel Hampton Schroeder is the closest thing to a Mandrill hero that we get, and that in all probability he did save a bunch of Mandrills to keep on living as Scorpions. Even if it was only members of Kindraa Sainze that he saved, it would be impressive. If it was members of different Kindraa trapped on Dagda rallying together to survive, it would be even more impressive.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2023, 08:23:22 by Alan Grant »

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #496 on: 01 September 2023, 09:23:44 »

Star Colonel Schroeder came out looking better than good, a hero certainly

He fought the good fight, did everything possible to keep his people alive and he obviously threw that boxing trial to make sure they get absorbed and rescued

WoR book clearly states that trial was purely ceremonial, food rations for Mandrills were probably already cracked open before the match even started

I'm pretty certain that all those Mandrills got evacuated minus probably several warriors due to regular attrition, Scorpion exodus was planned in advance as a contingency and was quite thorough when it happened

It would be quite easy for writers to write some Empire characters who had Fire Mandrill ancestors

Plus we can see possible Fire Mandrill influence in Scorpion Empire inventory where some Mandrill designs reappeared post-exodus (Spartan C, Lancelot C)

« Last Edit: 01 September 2023, 11:48:05 by Fire Scorpion IIC »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #497 on: 01 September 2023, 16:22:44 »
Star Colonel Schroeder came out looking better than good, a hero certainly

He fought the good fight, did everything possible to keep his people alive and he obviously threw that boxing trial to make sure they get absorbed and rescued

WoR book clearly states that trial was purely ceremonial, food rations for Mandrills were probably already cracked open before the match even started

I'm pretty certain that all those Mandrills got evacuated minus probably several warriors due to regular attrition, Scorpion exodus was planned in advance as a contingency and was quite thorough when it happened

It would be quite easy for writers to write some Empire characters who had Fire Mandrill ancestors

Plus we can see possible Fire Mandrill influence in Scorpion Empire inventory where some Mandrill designs reappeared post-exodus (Spartan C, Lancelot C)

How did I miss this in WOR I have an irrational dislike of the scorps likely due to my doomed love of the spirits and mandrills who both noted the scorps as having more resources and warships than they knew what to do with…

But this is very cool! Long live the mandrills

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #498 on: 01 September 2023, 16:32:14 »
Star Colonel Schroeder could have his genecode added to the Scorpions.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #499 on: 01 September 2023, 22:57:22 »
How did I miss this in WOR I have an irrational dislike of the scorps likely due to my doomed love of the spirits and mandrills who both noted the scorps as having more resources and warships than they knew what to do with…

But this is very cool! Long live the mandrills

Going by the timeline of events it's very likely that it was the fate of the Fire Mandrills which played the part in Scorpion exodus

Khan Ariel Suvorov saw first hand what Coyotes did to Fire Mandrills and it's probably what convinced her that situation in the Homeworlds was officially going to hell in hand basket. It was after Dagda when she agreed to Colin Yeh's plan to organize recon expedition to Castilian Cluster as contingency

Fire Mandrills were the wakeup call

Star Colonel Schroeder could have his genecode added to the Scorpions.

TT

Quite possible

He was already a bloodnamed warrior and between Exodus and rough early years of the Imperio there was no shortage of opportunities for him (and other Mandrills) to leave their mark

Also many technicians were promoted to warriors during those times so that would mean even more warriors with Mandrill origins in play for genecode contribution

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #500 on: 02 September 2023, 00:03:11 »
The Scorpions are letting every Tom, Dick and Harry from here to Antwerp found Bloodhouses these days. Not a big stretch to think they'd induct an Absorbed and Bloodnamed Mandrill.  :laugh:
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #501 on: 02 September 2023, 00:17:09 »
The Scorpions are letting every Tom, Dick and Harry from here to Antwerp found Bloodhouses these days. Not a big stretch to think they'd induct an Absorbed and Bloodnamed Mandrill.  :laugh:

Khan Schroeder anyone?

Might be a descendent...

( TT plays the piano as he exits... )
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #502 on: 02 September 2023, 00:44:45 »
...am I the only one entertaining dreams of a "Mandrill Galaxy" showing up at some point in the Scorpion's touman, what with their penchant for honoring history?

I mean, it's just a dream, but darn it a guy can hope.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #503 on: 02 September 2023, 02:25:57 »
...am I the only one entertaining dreams of a "Mandrill Galaxy" showing up at some point in the Scorpion's touman, what with their penchant for honoring history?

Now that you mention it … no that sounds cool. Let’s go pitch it to the Scorpion thread, pick the best writer between the two groups and submit that Shrapnel! Lol

No honestly though I did enjoy watching his name pop up repeatedly in WoR and his battles were some of the better for the Mandrils thruout the book.

The Mandrils, Blood Spirits, and the Scorpions get screwed royally thru out the book (yes the Vipers get Annihilated). But it is nice to see several of their characters get some good screen time and potentially future screen time even if it isn’t what you wanted for them in the first place.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #504 on: 02 September 2023, 03:50:25 »
It's a fun idea, but I don't think enough Mandrills were Absorbed for the Scorpions to really justify a whole Galaxy. The Hellions as a Clan earned their Galaxy: their Khan ended up voted in instantly as Scorpion saKhan, the Grand Council recognized their Absorption by the Scorpions, and they actually brought a Galaxy's worth of troops to the table.

That said, I certainly wouldn't cry about it if it came to pass. I'd even spice up this hypothetical Mandrill Galaxy a bit and dedicate each Cluster to one of the fallen Kindraa... and encourage extra competitiveness between them for funsies. Since the Empire doesn't really have any enemies to speak of in the ilClan era, they can fight each other.  :laugh:

The Mandrils, Blood Spirits, and the Scorpions get screwed royally thru out the book (yes the Vipers get Annihilated). But it is nice to see several of their characters get some good screen time and potentially future screen time even if it isn’t what you wanted for them in the first place.

I will forever be salty that the Spirits weren't allowed to just fade away into obscurity at Colleen instead of stupidly throwing themselves into the Viper Annihilation for no real reason or gain. If they were trying to hit the "five Clans were obliterated" quota from A Rending of Falcons, why not destroy the damn Coyotes who literally betrayed the other Clans and helped execute a caste uprising? It boggles the mind. WoR was otherwise excellent, and we did see some unlikely characters getting some deserved spotlight.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2023, 03:57:33 by tassa_kay »

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #505 on: 02 September 2023, 07:12:00 »
A few surviving individuals (and their descendants) aside, could be fun to see the Scorpions turn the Mandrill feuds into a kind of spectator sport.

That probably sounds very cringe to many authentic Mandrill fans. But the thought of people filling a stadium to watch spectator events (whether its combat or sports...) inspired by the Mandrills, using Mandrill insignia and colors.... I dunno, it could be cool.

Also, appropriately ironic. When the Mandrills were a Clan, the Kindraa feuding thing was their biggest weakness but also what they were best known for. To see someone turn that into their lasting legacy, a big piece of what people remember about them, but it has been transformed into a more positive context, like good-natured sports. That feels ok to me, especially if legit Mandrill-blood people were the ones who got that started.

If the choice is between the Mandrills being completely forgotten...OR that idea. Then I'd prefer that. Then they have some legacy that lives on in Scorpion society.

Warriors of Kerensky page 51 notes the Mandrills as one of the Clans that liked to play Lacrosse.

Or if you wanted to keep things very militant, it could have turned into a version of the Martial Olympiad. Just one that draws from the Mandrills for inspiration rather than the Star League.

Imagine all the word play with the word "Payne" that would ensue....
« Last Edit: 02 September 2023, 07:17:39 by Alan Grant »

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #506 on: 02 September 2023, 08:05:12 »

Whatever cultural heritage survivors brought with them would definitely be preserved but not in Galaxy form unfortunately, there were just not enough of them who got rescued

But as individual characters there is more than good chance for that, while Scorpion lore has been nicely laid out in broad terms the actual word count is quite low which leaves loads of room for all sorts of cool storylines down the road and tales of Mandrill descendants would be perfect fit for that

I can easily imagine entre Fire Mandrill descended family clans in Empire's Garrison Caste who proudly keep flags of their old Clan on the walls of their homes, who start every family gathering by swearing vengeance on the Home Clans and who all angrily spit on the ground every time words 'Clan Coyote' are uttered

And who make sure that all their youngsters try out for freeborn sibcos not because of prestige, honor or career but because they all want to be even closer to potential payback should Home Clans decide to show up

« Last Edit: 02 September 2023, 08:09:47 by Fire Scorpion IIC »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #507 on: 02 September 2023, 12:16:12 »
Whatever cultural heritage survivors brought with them would definitely be preserved but not in Galaxy form unfortunately, there were just not enough of them who got rescued

But as individual characters there is more than good chance for that, while Scorpion lore has been nicely laid out in broad terms the actual word count is quite low which leaves loads of room for all sorts of cool storylines down the road and tales of Mandrill descendants would be perfect fit for that

I can easily imagine entre Fire Mandrill descended family clans in Empire's Garrison Caste who proudly keep flags of their old Clan on the walls of their homes, who start every family gathering by swearing vengeance on the Home Clans and who all angrily spit on the ground every time words 'Clan Coyote' are uttered

And who make sure that all their youngsters try out for freeborn sibcos not because of prestige, honor or career but because they all want to be even closer to potential payback should Home Clans decide to show up

I can see a Secondline... Smallest is about two Clusters, three to four Binary Stars / SuperNovas.

Besides, how many people are needed for a galaxy next if their Freebirth and pass their Trials?

Someone should do a simple Non-Canon unit as example with forumite discussion that's agreed upon. No names just a example of a possible Mandrill Galaxy, Imperio Scorpio.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #508 on: 02 September 2023, 12:46:02 »
A few surviving individuals (and their descendants) aside, could be fun to see the Scorpions turn the Mandrill feuds into a kind of spectator sport.

That probably sounds very cringe to many authentic Mandrill fans. But the thought of people filling a stadium to watch spectator events (whether its combat or sports...) inspired by the Mandrills, using Mandrill insignia and colors.... I dunno, it could be cool.

Also, appropriately ironic. When the Mandrills were a Clan, the Kindraa feuding thing was their biggest weakness but also what they were best known for. To see someone turn that into their lasting legacy, a big piece of what people remember about them, but it has been transformed into a more positive context, like good-natured sports. That feels ok to me, especially if legit Mandrill-blood people were the ones who got that started.

If the choice is between the Mandrills being completely forgotten...OR that idea. Then I'd prefer that. Then they have some legacy that lives on in Scorpion society.

Warriors of Kerensky page 51 notes the Mandrills as one of the Clans that liked to play Lacrosse.

Or if you wanted to keep things very militant, it could have turned into a version of the Martial Olympiad. Just one that draws from the Mandrills for inspiration rather than the Star League.

Imagine all the word play with the word "Payne" that would ensue....

So the Mandrills become the Solaris of the Scorpion Empire? There is an entertaining thought

timp77

• Corporal
« Reply #509 on: 01 October 2023, 18:43:57 »
Let's hope a return of the Mandrills in the ilclan Era.

Register