Author Topic: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)  (Read 46273 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Re: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)
« Reply #150 on: 17 May 2018, 07:44:15 »
Come on Netflix, if you can throw away piles of cash on drek like "Mute" and "Titan," you can spend a little on a quality series like this.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #151 on: 17 May 2018, 12:34:43 »
Come on Netflix, if you can throw away piles of cash on drek like "Mute" and "Titan," you can spend a little on a quality series like this.

Rumour has it Netflix has passed on the show (no link, saw it in comments on an article that someone got it from a staff member on social media), which if true makes me think of the old Robot saying DOES NOT COMPUTE.  Guys, you already distribute the show in all but three countries!
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #152 on: 17 May 2018, 12:41:29 »
Given that Amazon already distributes it in the US, I wonder if they're trying to pick it up.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #153 on: 17 May 2018, 16:43:05 »
Just watched "Immolation"...holy crap that was a satisfying episode. But man, the last two have been intense, don't know if they can keep ratcheting it up like this...
And Cotyar is one of my favorite characters.

Given that Amazon already distributes it in the US, I wonder if they're trying to pick it up.

I really hope so.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #155 on: 22 May 2018, 13:16:31 »
Guess there's something to be said about a billionaire sci-fi nerd who owns his own streaming service.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #156 on: 22 May 2018, 13:46:38 »
I'll take back some of the nasty things I said about Bezos if he makes this happen.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #157 on: 26 May 2018, 00:34:24 »
And accordingly,I now take back some of those things.  Amazon have announced they're picking up The Expanse for series 4

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #158 on: 26 May 2018, 12:28:53 »
I hope they do a little better on the details--i.e. less lazy writing. If I see another person with food or garbage on the float in zero-g... I'm going to curse a lot more. The books make pains going into how equipment discipline is so heavily ingrained/evolved into belters (and others who make a living in space) that that sort of thing would never happen. Those who aren't disciplined remove themselves from the gene-pool in a hurry. There are less lazy ways to show that a craft is at zero-g... please. That and maybe a little effort at showing how long a long-range engagement actually is would be nice.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #159 on: 31 May 2018, 12:04:35 »
Well now, things are definitely starting to move at a clip now...

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #160 on: 31 May 2018, 13:32:57 »
Well now, things are definitely starting to move at a clip now...

Nope, they just slowed down in a hurry.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #161 on: 28 June 2018, 16:19:19 »
Well, that was quite a season finale? Thoughts?

Felt a bit rushed, but then everything from the mid-season time jump felt a bit rushed.
On one hand I think I prefer the first two seasons (especially the first), just because they seemed a bit more tight structure-wise.
And I think Amos has really stolen the show.
Think David Strathairn was really good.
And Drummer is still my favorite Belter.
Will we see more of Avasarala? Or will she fade into the background?
And would anyone else have liked to have seen a show about Drapper and Cotyar working together?
(Think that would have been really fun.)

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #162 on: 28 June 2018, 17:00:42 »
The producers wanted to make sure the show had something approaching a conclusion in case they got cancelled, so they accelerated the adaptation of Abaddon's Gate to complete it this year.  Another episode or two would definitely have helped sell some of the character arcs.  Still, on to Cibola Burn next year.

(And Avasarala will be back)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #163 on: 28 June 2018, 17:02:52 »
(And Avasarala will be back)

Avasarala is always back... and cursing up a storm.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #164 on: 07 February 2019, 13:29:55 »
And finally have some news about season 4:

https://www-comingsoon-net.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1037091-the-expanse-adds-burn-gorman/amp

Was good in both Torchwood and Pacific Rim, will be interesting to watch him in this.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #165 on: 07 February 2019, 16:12:03 »
And finally have some news about season 4:

https://www-comingsoon-net.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1037091-the-expanse-adds-burn-gorman/amp

Was good in both Torchwood and Pacific Rim, will be interesting to watch him in this.

Not the actor I would have pictured for the character, but I do like his work. Looking forward to S4. I hope Amazon takes their time getting through the books. SyFy rushed through them WAY too fast.

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #166 on: 07 February 2019, 18:14:39 »
I started the expanse around the beginning of January on Amazon Prime. It is amazing! It is some really good sci-fi and TV. I haven't been this engaged in a series in a long time. I am excited to start Season 3 on Prime tomorrow.

I love/hate the way most episodes end that I need to see the next one now. If I watched this on the first run on SyFy it would be hard to wait for the next episode.
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #167 on: 07 February 2019, 18:15:31 »
Not the actor I would have pictured for the character, but I do like his work. Looking forward to S4. I hope Amazon takes their time getting through the books. SyFy rushed through them WAY too fast.

Yeah, appearance wise, doesn't really match, but he'll nail the personality.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #168 on: 07 February 2019, 20:49:26 »
Season 3 is live on Prime! Guess my night just got better :).
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #169 on: 07 February 2019, 21:14:16 »
Sweet.  I watched the first two seasons on Prime, then saw the third season on SyFy.  But I'd like to watch them back to back instead of having to wait a week between each episode.

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #170 on: 17 February 2019, 07:33:52 »
Finally back to the boards after an unintentional hiatus. Just finished Season 3 tonight (thank you Amazon Prime!)

David Strathairn didn't disappoint. Lots of things to mull over; here's my top thoughts/questions.

Was Ashford (Strathairn) playacting all along, or did the threat of the station make him change his thinking?

Bobbie joins the crew of the Roci!

Thank God that smug little so-and-so, Diogo, finally snuffed it!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #171 on: 20 July 2019, 22:02:36 »
Aaaand they're back! December 13, 2020

https://youtu.be/kNIim3xqsEU

https://youtu.be/9LrZiNOvp_c

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #172 on: 20 July 2019, 23:54:39 »
I hope they do a little better on the details--i.e. less lazy writing. If I see another person with food or garbage on the float in zero-g... I'm going to curse a lot more. The books make pains going into how equipment discipline is so heavily ingrained/evolved into belters (and others who make a living in space) that that sort of thing would never happen. Those who aren't disciplined remove themselves from the gene-pool in a hurry. There are less lazy ways to show that a craft is at zero-g... please. That and maybe a little effort at showing how long a long-range engagement actually is would be nice.

Would different lighting work better?  Put strip lighting in place around the hatches and have it lit up when at zero-G, so people know where to go when drifting through the ship?  Similarly, different lighting for the bathrooms, so people know when they can relax with 'gravity assist', and when they really need to read the instructions about how to use a Zero-G toilet.

So during acceleration you might see 'overhead' and floor lighting, while during zero-G there would be 'perimeter' lighting so people drifting know where not to bang themselves.

For a cheap version, you might see something like a glow-globe on a chain.  During zero-G the globe is freely floating around in the air currents, and during gravity it would be hanging on the end of a chain.

For a long-range engagement, most of that would be waiting for your shots to arrive and the return fire to put holes in your ship, so you could have people talking (like on the Martian Battleship when it was engaging the Stealth ships).  All you might see is blips on a screen, showing which enemy railgun shots are going to intercept, which missiles are still dangerous, etc.  You might see a specific pattern of railgun shells and the characters make a comment about how the enemy is herding them in a certain direction, making them burn up their reaction mass, or over-use a specific set of reaction thrusters.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #173 on: 21 July 2019, 06:22:13 »
Aaaand they're back! December 13, 2020

https://youtu.be/kNIim3xqsEU

https://youtu.be/9LrZiNOvp_c

I love that landing sequence btw... for multiple reasons.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #174 on: 21 July 2019, 07:34:21 »

Same here.  And the Roci's landing gear being on the stern around the engine bell makes a lot more sense than it being on her belly.  Nice of SpaceX to show them how it should be done.   ;D

December 13th?  I can't wait.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #175 on: 21 July 2019, 08:59:57 »

Same here, but most of all because it demonstrates how BTech Spheroid DropShips work.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #176 on: 21 July 2019, 09:20:20 »
Same here, but most of all because it demonstrates how BTech Spheroid DropShips work.

Ruger

Yeah, but also the way they are landing on the tea-kettles instead of the primary drive. The primary drive is a Kzinti incident waiting to happen.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #177 on: 21 July 2019, 09:54:11 »
Would different lighting work better?  Put strip lighting in place around the hatches and have it lit up when at zero-G, so people know where to go when drifting through the ship?  Similarly, different lighting for the bathrooms, so people know when they can relax with 'gravity assist', and when they really need to read the instructions about how to use a Zero-G toilet.

So during acceleration you might see 'overhead' and floor lighting, while during zero-G there would be 'perimeter' lighting so people drifting know where not to bang themselves.

For a cheap version, you might see something like a glow-globe on a chain.  During zero-G the globe is freely floating around in the air currents, and during gravity it would be hanging on the end of a chain.
Why not just have the people on the float for zero-g? Even in mag boots wouldn't their posture be noticeably different as well? If they need to have objects floating, at least have them tied off (like the glow-globe you mentioned). There are smarter people in the biz who can figure out more unique ways of doing it without being lazy, I hope they do.

For a long-range engagement, most of that would be waiting for your shots to arrive and the return fire to put holes in your ship, so you could have people talking (like on the Martian Battleship when it was engaging the Stealth ships).  All you might see is blips on a screen, showing which enemy railgun shots are going to intercept, which missiles are still dangerous, etc.  You might see a specific pattern of railgun shells and the characters make a comment about how the enemy is herding them in a certain direction, making them burn up their reaction mass, or over-use a specific set of reaction thrusters.
And cuts... lots of cuts.

And above all else, DON'T RUSH THROUGH THE STORY LIKE THEY DID FOR SEASON 3!!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #178 on: 21 July 2019, 19:57:42 »
Same here.  And the Roci's landing gear being on the stern around the engine bell makes a lot more sense than it being on her belly.  Nice of SpaceX to show them how it should be done.   ;D

December 13th?  I can't wait.

Aren't the decks of the Roci vertical instead of the more common sci-fi show horizontal? (Like how the decks are laid out on a BT WarShip...)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #179 on: 21 July 2019, 20:03:37 »
Aren't the decks of the Roci vertical instead of the more common sci-fi show horizontal? (Like how the decks are laid out on a BT WarShip...)

Correct. Same goes for most ships in The Expanse, especially the large ones.

Register