Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 253095 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #510 on: 05 January 2017, 21:19:08 »
Clan on FASA  Clan Mongrel   O0

As it seems to be a mixed batch of members
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #511 on: 05 January 2017, 21:39:57 »
nice update

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #512 on: 09 January 2017, 12:47:35 »
With a little help from marauder648, Vition2 and James Tanaga here's the newest update

Royal Medical Wing, Steiner Royal Palace
Arcturus, Arcturus Theatre
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
2nd September 3107

In the Royal Palace of House Steiner Archon Jessica Steiner gives birth to her third daughter Trillian Steiner by Admiral Patrick Doyle.  Both mother and child are well, with their borders at peace and economy booming Jessica Steiner has her highest approval rating since taking over as leader of the Lyran Commonwealth.

Capellan Offensive
District of Oriente, Free Worlds League
11th September 3107

Even with the Federated Suns conquering five systems and striking at several more the Capellan Confederation continue their assaults on the District of Oriente striking at five further systems.  As Oriente’s defences crumble the District of Regulus steps into the action repelling the Capellan Confederation in several systems.  The Oriente forces take it one step further completely taking control over the Maritgues and Shenwan system from Oriente forces engaging the Fifth Oriente Hussars in both systems.

As heavy fighting continues on Minerton and Mansu-ni the Fifth Oriente Hussars withdraw from the worlds taken by Regulus while Duke Jonas Halas submits a formal request for the attacks on Oriente to be heard on Atreus by Parliament.

Khan’s Office, Raven Enclave
Famindas, Alpheratz
Raven Alliance
14th September 3107

“President Orton is here to see you my Khan.”  The lower casteman said introducing the visitor Vir Sukhanov nodded and put aside the report he had been reading as his aide ushered in the older man.  Prime Minister Orton was the elected head of the Civilian government that the Outworlders insisted on retaining as part of their alliance with Clan Snow Raven.  In his 60’s and no longer quite as fit as he had been when he was an aerospace pilot the Minister had the respect of the people and was a savvy operator.

“Khan Sukhanov, thank you for seeing me.” President Rodger Orton said as he crossed the office, sitting down without being invited to.  Technically he and the Khan were of the same position but the breech of protocol irked the Khan.

“President, thank you for answering my summons at such short notice, I will get to the point I know you are angry about the setbacks that we suffered in our conflict against the Combine…”

“The disaster we just suffered.” Orton interrupted his eyes hard, anger evident in his tone.  “A dozen worlds under the heel of the Combine!  A squadron lost!  Entire military units gutted!  Do you have any idea of how hard it is going to be to put this across to the people?  People who are cut off from relatives…” He said composing himself for a moment “people who have lost relatives.   This world and many of our most important are now a jump or two from Combine attack thanks to this debacle!  And the casualties!  Entire defence force units wiped out, hundreds killed, including my two eldest SONS!”  Khan Sukhanov had the good grace to wince.  He recalled that the Ministers eldest served upon the Thor. 

“No that you’d understand that of course!  And now we’ve got to find some way out of this mess!”

“Are you done?” Khan Sukhanov said, his voice level, cold. If this man was of the Clan he would have challenged him to a Trial of Grievance here and now, but he stayed his hand as much as it pained the Khan the Snow Ravens needed the Outworlds more than ever and that included this old warrior. 

“I know of our military failings and I now wish to speak to you about the political fallout.  I know that many of your Ministers are unhappy, and that the populace is also understandably angered and even afraid that the Dragon will strike again.  Whilst we shall rebuilt our military strength, I want to discuss how to please the populace.”

“Remove the Combine from the three worlds closest to our core for a start.” Orton replied, his eyes still hot.

“Steps are underway regarding that, but I have other measures in mind too.”  The Khan said he didn’t want to start another conflict with the Combine, not yet anyway; his Clan needed time to learn from the mistakes that had been made in their last conflict before their next.

“And what if you are challenged and defeated? Will these measures remain in place or be forgotten and cast aside?”

“Aff, I am aware of the anger within my ranks, if I am challenged then so be it but in the here and now I am prepared to take steps to improve our position.”

“Oh of course that’s the easy way out for you.”  Ortan said angrily it was so simple in the Clan approach “I’ve got an election to fight and win…”  He said an election that he was not convinced that he could defeat the newest member of the Avellar family Joshua Avellar son of Mitchell Avellar and rising star in the Alliance.

“A battle you will fight and no doubt come out victorious in. The people like you.”

“Hmph, you seek to flatter me Khan Sukhanov.”

“Neg, I am merely stating the truth.”

“So your ideas?”

“I was speaking with my Merchant and Science Factors and we believe that we can recover but in truth we cannot do it alone. We need your support, your assistance.”

“More labour caste inductees you mean?”

“Neg, we will work together to overcome this threat and walk from this moment of weakness stronger.  And, side by side.”

“We will increase asteroid mining as well as scouting systems formerly belonging to the Alliance in the period prior to the Reunification War.  Most were abandoned during the Succession Wars but could be made viable and ripe for exploitation.”  Ortan suggested thinking about how they could improve their position with the Ravens.

“I have ordered my Factors to immediately cancel the division of technology between our and your industry it will take time but all of our people will be able to produce Clan grade technology in greater amounts.  We will work as well to improve all of our troops equipment with modern equipment and better training.  This will increase our fighting strength and redress most of the complaints from the volunteers about their equipment.”

This took the wind out of Orton’s sails slightly and he leaned forwards “Your Warriors won’t be happy with the decision.”
“If they disagree then they can challenge me and I will defeat them.”  Sukhanov said raising from his chair “but this is not enough” he said looking at Orton I want to reorganize the Alliance military units into Clan Galaxies” Sukhanov said seeing Orton’s surprise “the disparity in organisation ends between the Outworlds and Snow Ravens we end decades of separation and truly become the Raven Alliance.”  He said stepping back to the desk standing beside the table.

“And the Factors agreed to this?”

“Chief Scientist McLarren did, Factor Jonas did not, and his replacement was quick to change his stance on this.”

“I…see…”

“The Ravens…miss-stepped with our decision to keep our technology from you, it takes a long time for us to trust when your people have earned that trust in blood, then we should not hold back any more.” Khan Sukhanov said, pausing to take a sip from his cup of tea.

“We cannot be the Raven Alliance as long as the Snow Ravens remain in their enclaves cut off from the rest of our population.”  Orton complained the Raven civilian and scientific population remained in their enclaves on Alpheratz, Dante and Quatre Belle or were restricted to their Floating Enclaves on other worlds isolated from the rest of the population.”

“We will resolve this isolation” Sukhanov promised “beginning on Alpheratz our enclaves here will be opened on a limited basis and I will encourage our population to mingle more with the rest of the Alliance.  I also propose to give the Outworld volunteers their own DropShips, much like the System Rangers of old, and they will patrol the alliance and ensure its protection.”  He said deciding to share his next plan with the Alliance leader “they will be coordinated by the Raven Watch and they will be paid in line with front-line warriors of our military.  Factor Hobbs thinks that this change to the employment will boost productivity and result in a greater take of taxes.  Of course the Labour Caste is always willing to accept Outworld volunteers and any will be tested and placed in a position that suits their abilities.”

“Why now?”

“Because we need to survive.”  He admitted the Raven civilian population was nowhere near as large as it had been in the Homeworlds and their Touman was smaller.  I do not wish to see my Clan extinguished any more than you do seeing your people under the Combines control.  If these reforms are enacted, within six years, perhaps less, we will never have to worry about an outside threat again.”

“You know something Khan Sukhanov, if I’d known that the way to get you to bloody well listen was to come in here and yell at you… I’d have done it months ago.”

“We live and learn, of course where I my predecessor, he would have killed you myself for your insolence and your use of contractions.  If you were of the Clans I would have already killed you myself. Your approach was. However, bold… direct, and with fire I would not expect from a man of your age.”

“Where I twenty five or thirty years younger I would meet you in battle if I had to” he said chuckling “but I am an old man whose fighting days are behind him.  And regarding your predecessor, bah, he was a brute with all the leadership skill of a school yard bully.  You are far wilier, and if you are challenged… I hope you win.”

Fire Mandrill Held Territory
Schuyler, Alberio Prefecture
Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine
20th September 3107

Natasha Faraday watched in satisfaction as yet another building came tumbling down before turning her 100-ton Kirghiz-G OmniMech slightly to the left and began destroying another building with her ‘Mech’s two large ER Lasers. Around her and all across the system, other Fire Mandrill Warriors were doing the same. All were intent on destroying the military industrial facilities in the system.

Natasha shrugged she knew that the Combine would hate her Clan for this and the Inner Sphere would want less dealings with her people because of it but it was a small price to pay all things considered. Khan Magnusson wanted her Clan to destroy any factory the Mandrills left behind she didn’t like that the Bears were dictating to her either but she needed Bear authority to travel through their space to return home. What would have been an annoying job soon became a relaxing experience, as her Mandrills released their pent-up stress from having to deal with annoying Dragons who continued to raid the area her Mandrills controlled

All things considered, their raid was about to be considered a success. The Mandrills had successfully traveled across the Inner Sphere, captured Schuyler, and as of earlier in the day finally withdrawn everything they had wanted from the system. Namely the Behemoth DropShip yards on the planet and both JumpShip yard docks over Schuyler which were damaged but still worth the trip. A very nice haul, she knew, but without the still-missing K-F drive plant that was all the raid was a nice haul.

“Fire Lead, Snarling Mandrill Actual,” the voice of Star Captain Ethan, the Warrior in charge of her supernova’s DropShip, piped through her radio.

“Go ahead,” she responded as she noted absently her targeted building exploding.

“RCJS Philandering Langur just reported in,” she noted the mirth in the other Warrior’s deep voice and quickly became interested.

“And what exactly did they report? Ethan,” she asked, playing the older Warrior’s game.

“Nothing beyond the usual,” she heard him relay back through the radio. “You know, empty asteroid here, another empty asteroid there. And, by the way, they found a Germanium-rich asteroid.”

“A Germanium asteroid!” she yelled in shock through the radio. By the yelp on the other end, she blushed, knowing she yelled too loud. “Sorry,” she grumbled out, still thinking of the find. Germanium was often used as the core of K-F drives.

“No worries,” the older man replied cheerfully through the radio. “I was already holding the headset away from me when you yelled.” Natasha blushed deeper. “I bet half the ship heard you through the radio,” he teased.

Natasha shook her head. “Have the RCJS Philandering Langur investigate that asteroid at once,” she ordered into the radio.

“Already done so, on your behalf,” he instantly replied.

“Good,” Natasha answered her long time confidant and friend. “Patch any and all reports from the RCJS Philandering Langur immediately to me, quiaff?”

“Will do,” he answered her. A second later, she heard a sharp click, signalling Ethan had ended the connection over his end.

She allowed her a big smile, for she hoped her Clan would finally grab what they and the Collection really needed the missing K-F drive plant. Abandoning the planet to the remaining Combine raiders It took the Mandrills another week to remove the crippled factory.  It would likely cost the Mandrills a lot in trade to get the plant operational again once they returned back to the Rim Collection but Faraday had gotten what she wanted, what her Clan needed to survive, the ability to manufacture new JumpShips it meant that losing JumpShips in the future would not cripple her Clan’s transport capabilities.  With all they wanted from the system the Mandrills withdrew before further DCMS forces arrived to take control over the system.

Clan Raids
Arcturus Theatre, Donegal Province
Lyran Commonwealth
25th September 3107

Despite much to celebrate in the Lyran Commonwealth the peace on the border is shattered as Clan Hell’s Horses raid Rasalgethi and Clan Coyote invade Fort Loudon.  Both Clans deploy multiple Clusters supported by WarShips to each system and they quickly overwhelm the Third and Eleventh Arcturan Guards RCTs who were based in the systems once again the Elite Horde Clusters of the Fire Horse Galaxy lead the way for Clan Hell’s Horses.  Between the two units over four regiments of BattleMech, Armour and Infantry are destroyed by the Clan forces before the remaining Arcturan Guards are allowed to retreat from the systems.

Fifth Yokosuka, DCS Kukhuri (Kyushu-class Frigate)
Gonthorn, Nova Cat Occupation Zone
28th September 3107

Space around the Nadir Point of the Gonthorn system was ablaze as the Draconis Combine attempted to liberate the world from Clan Nova Cat.  Pilot Trevor Day breathed heavily as his Stinger LAM was dropped from its launch bay on board the DCS Kukhuri along with the rest of the Fifth Yokosuka.  Their intelligence had been wrong they had expected to find a Nova Cat corvette in the system instead they had found a corvette and a Battle-cruiser.  As Trevor’s LAM dropped into the black massive explosions rocked his Stinger as naval autocannon fire from the Nova Cat WarShip Santin West exploded around him he threw his fighter to the right and to the left trying to avoid the explosions behind him Naval Particle Cannons slammed into the front and side of the Kyushu-class Frigate behind him.

“Coriana Six to Reaper, Reaper do you read” he called out looking for his company commander as he continued to turn Trevor saw that Nova Cat fighters and DropShips were swarming the Kukhuri with still no answer from Reaper he tried a general call on the Draconis Combine frequency “Coriana Six to any SNLF unit come in!”  He called out as a Nova Cat one hundred ton Hun OmniFighter dived past his Stinger Trevor turned to follow the assault fighter but immediately found the craft’s after pulse lasers slamming into his left wing melting the armour there.  Turning away from the Hun Trevor turned straight into the Nova Cat’s wingman autocannon fire ripped through the space near the Stinger followed by further pulse lasers slamming into the side of the Stinger.  “Corianna Six I need assistance repeat, I need…” Trevor’s call for assistance was cut short as a second burst of autocannon fire tore through the underside of the Stinger shattering the armour plating and shielding around the small fighter causing what was in the grander scheme of the battle a small almost insignificant explosion but one that was large enough to kill Trevor Day. 

The young pilot was not the first to die in the battle and certainly wasn’t the last with the Nova Cats swarming the DCS Kukhuri and jamming the communications the battle was going from bad to worse rapidly.  The Nova Cat Battle-cruiser was closing on the Combine Frigate pounding the smaller vessel with a relentless barrage of naval particle cannon, autocannon and laser fire splitting the hull open in several places.  Less than thirty minutes after the Draconis Combine forces had entered the system the Fifth Yokosuka Special Naval Landing Force Regiment was decimated, the DCS Kukhuri was disabled and under the control of Clan Nova Cat and the rest of the Combine ground forces had been driven back.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #513 on: 09 January 2017, 13:38:18 »
Looks like the Mandrills got what they came for, here's to them becoming powerful in the future.  :)

Great update, I'm looking forward to more for just about everything that's going on in this update.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #514 on: 09 January 2017, 14:49:35 »
Great Update, Dragon Cat!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #515 on: 09 January 2017, 19:34:46 »
Looks like the Dragons are getting ripped a new one on multiple fronts.

Want me to design them a new warship?
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #516 on: 09 January 2017, 19:42:37 »
Looks like the Dragons are getting ripped a new one on multiple fronts.

Want me to design them a new warship?

Only if you find a mini that's worth the time ^-^ the Dragons will be fine honest O:-) the little Mandrill raid took a bunch of broken facilities the Combine hadn't fixed in years

But it does point to the Combines enemies there is blood in the water shame the Fedrats are punching their Capellan bag at the moment >:D
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #517 on: 09 January 2017, 20:18:24 »
Only if you find a mini that's worth the time ^-^
I'll keep my eyes open  8)
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #518 on: 10 January 2017, 00:29:58 »
Did the Mandrills actually get the KF drive factory.
Nice update O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #519 on: 10 January 2017, 07:31:03 »
Only if you find a mini that's worth the time ^-^ the Dragons will be fine honest O:-) the little Mandrill raid took a bunch of broken facilities the Combine hadn't fixed in years
Actually, I think I have something that'd fit perfectly  >:D

I'll drop you a PM later to explain.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #520 on: 10 January 2017, 09:31:46 »
Good to see the Mandrils managed to twist the Dragons tail.  I can't imagine the Combine's going to be happy that their Bear neighbours just let someone do a smash and grab on their border though by coming through Dominion territory.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #521 on: 10 January 2017, 13:37:42 »
snakespinner - yes but it's heavily damaged.  The Mandrill's have something that will cause them problems for a little while.

marauder648 - the Combine does not need to pick another fight...

Vition2 - while you will see more from the previous storylines the beauty of this timeline is I can tell stories across the Inner Sphere and Periphery so let's take a trip.

And just to have a bit of fun regarding JA Baker's idea - I like it and it's happening  ;)

I felt like writing today, first time in ages I've just felt like writing the whole day, so here's the next update

Raid
Milos, Kittery Prefecture
Star League Protectorate
2nd October 3107

For the last three weeks Milos had been raided four times by unidentified raiders using designs native to the Capellan Confederation and Federated Suns.  So far the Star League Defence Forces defending the planet had been unable to pin down the raiders but today things would be different two days before Star League Early Warning Satellites had detected two DropShips entering the atmosphere.  Instead of waiting for the raiders to attack combat commands from the Third Kittery Regimental Brigade, a unit locally known as Stone’s Revenants, and the First Milos Planetary Guard Regiment had been deployed across the planet waiting for contact.  “Break, Break, Break contact with enemy units in sector fourteen” the call came across the radio alerting the troops who were waiting.

“Sir, we will be engaging soon remain near your protective detail” Major Leo Hayworth said over their private channel.

“I know what I am doing, Major, I will not get in the way” Protector-General Devlin Stone said from the cockpit of his customized Atlas II the leader of the Kittery Prefecture had insisted with personally facing off against the raiders.

“Contact to the east a pair of Men Shens!”  Someone called as weapons fire was exchanged between the Third Kittery and the raiders.

“A pair of Emperors and a couple of Stealth designs as well” another MechWarrior called out.  “We have aerospace fighters as well” he called out as two aerospace fighter’s strafed their position.

“That’s fine so do we.  All units this is Hayworth hold down your sectors and open fire; our aerospace fighters will be in position in the next couple of minutes we just have to hold on…”

“This is our world, this is our home, they are not welcome here” Devlin Stone said as his one hundred ton Atlas II and its escorting lance moved forwards “we will hold this ground because we are the ones who live here, we are the ones who have shed sweat, tears and blood making this world what it is today.”  He said opening fire on an enemy BattleMech with his Mech’s lasers and autocannon tearing the arm off of a nearby Phoenix Hawk knocking the lighter BattleMech to the ground.  Moments later fire from another of Stone’s Mechs blew the Phoenix Hawk to pieces as autocannon, missiles and lasers tore the stricken BattleMech to pieces.  Stone had not stopped and was now wading into battle against one of the Emperors even as SLDF aerospace fighters filled the skies driving the enemy craft from the air “if you don’t believe me believe them” Stone continued raising his BattleMech’s arms to the sky momentarily “our Angels are looking out for us!”  He said as his BattleMech landed blow after blow against the Emperor while avoiding the return fire Major Hayworth watched in awe as the Atlas II literally danced its way around the enemy BattleMech doing far more damage than it was taking the Emperor pilot seemingly incapable of landing a proper hit on the Atlas II.

With Stone’s elite bodyguard lance with them the SLDF Battalion quickly repulsed the attack on Milos destroying all of the attacking BattleMechs and vehicles while some of the aerospace fighters escaped a majority were destroyed.  Infantry teams checking wreckage after the battle found that none of the enemy pilots had survived the battle several had taken their own lives while others were completely missing leading the identity of the attackers a mystery.

AFFS Assaults
Sarna Commonality, Capellan Confederation
8th October 3107

With the Capellan Confederation still focused on the District of Oriente the AFFS High Command had ordered assaults to continue on the remains of the Sarna Commonality with the Fourth Capellan Defence Force, the Seventh Capellan Armoured Cavalry, the Heart of Courage Mercenary Battalion and the Fighting Tigers Combined-arms Regiment on No Return a prime target.  Field Marshal Neela Black, the commander of the Sixth Davion Guards, entered the briefing room on board the WarShip FSS Bravery, a First Prince II-class Battleship, and looked at her fellow unit commanders.  “Ladies and Gentlemen we will be striking at No Return the Capellans have no known capital units in the area but we are expecting assault DropShip forces so the Bravery will be providing us with an escort and fire support.”  She began moving around the table activating a holographic display to show the world of No Return.  “We are aware of four distinct commands on No Return all of which have been gearing up for an assault on Sarna attempting to wrest the world back from the District of Oriente.  Considering Oriente’s current precarious position I think Sarna would fall quickly to a decisive assault.”  She said many of them were surprised that the Federated Suns was not striking at Sarna instead of picking up worlds from the Confederation.  “My Guards are probably the most inexperienced command here” she said looking around the other commanders “I can understand the question marks over their participation but the only way they will learn is to act with the best commands in the Federated Suns which I believe I am alongside.”  She said attempting to make peace with the other commanders she needed them to understand that she knew her unit was not the best one involved in this operation and that she was in command purely because of her command’s status as part of the Royal Brigade of Davion Guards.”

“Marshal Steiner your Uhlans will lead the attack against the Fourth Capellan Defence Force with the Wild Geese in support.”  She said looking at Richard Steiner and then to the oldest man in the room Wild Geese commander Colonel Dave Stutenroth who would be taking part in his final mission as commander of the Wild Geese.

“I will command the attack to the south of the city against the Seventh Capellan Armoured Cavalry with Marshal Rennard’s Armoured Cavalry.”  She said pausing for a moment stepping around the table “we do not know the exact deployment of the mercenary forces on No Return but between our four commands we should be able to contain and destroy them.  Other AFFS and mercenary commands will be striking at Sarmaxa, Randar and Relevow as we hit No Return.  We are but one piece of this puzzle let our part not be out of place.”

- - -

Three days later the AFFS units jumped into a pirate point in the No Return system and the DropShips carrying the ground forces immediately began their burn towards the planet’s surface.  While their aerospace forces engaged the Capellans in near orbit Field Marshal Black ordered her Land Air Mech Battalion to go on ahead of the Sixth Davion Guards DropShips clearing the way for the rest of her command she suspected that Marshal Steiner would do the same with his own LAM Battalion.  While these craft were not the best combat units they did have their uses.

The entire Battalion of LAMs landed several kilometres from the AFFS planned Landing Zone covering the rest of the distance in AirMech mode allowing them to skim the surface of the planet and avoid early warning sensors.  This decision seemed to be the correct one as the LAMs arrived at the planned landing zones just as elements of the Seventh Armoured Cavalry were setting up ambush points the landing zone was an obvious one with a wide open space that aerodyne DropShips could comfortably land and aerospace fighters could land and refuel.  Now in BattleMech configuration the LAM Battalion under the command of Major Joe Hulkenburg moved in on the unprepared Capellan defenders turning the landing zones into a combat zone.

Cutting to the right Joe Hulkenburg ducked his Phoenix Hawk LAM out of the way of an particle cannon volley from a Capellan Yao Lien returning fire with his paired extended-range medium lasers on the right arm and the centrally lined headhunter missile system.  The lasers burned over the enemy BattleMech’s torso while the Headhunter slammed into the right arm exploding inside the armour causing further damage.  Joe smiled stepping down on the jump jets launching his Mech over the enemy twisting in mid-air he heard the Headhunter achieve a lock and fired the missile even as the Phoenix Hawk fell landing he saw the missile explode against the enemy Mech’s rear armour causing more internal damage.  This variant of the Phoenix Hawk was the first that Joe had piloted with the Headhunter and he loved the weapon, it was completely useless against units with anti-missile systems but units like this Yao Lien were at the weapon’s mercy.  As the fifty-five ton enemy BattleMech twisted attempting to track Joe’s Mech he triggered his Mech’s medium lasers again burning into the Yao Lien’s leg armour causing more damage.  The Yao Lien opened fire on the Phoenix Hawk with its particle cannons causing heavy armour damage to the LAM’s torso Joe ignored the damage launching his Mech into the air again triggering his lasers again this time penetrating the armour causing more internal damage to the enemy BattleMech.

More particle cannon fire struck the Phoenix Hawk but Joe was in motion striking out at the enemy BattleMech again suddenly fire tagged the Yao Lien from behind and above as another LAM struck the Capellan BattleMech ending its jump nearly right behind it.  The Capellan MechWarrior obviously knew he was outmatched and attempted to jump clear of the battle but Joe’s Headhunter had once again achieved a lock-on the missile flew from the Phoenix Hawk to the Yao Lien in moments impacting with the Yao Lien as it took off slamming into the Medium BattleMech’s left thigh the internal explosion caused by the missile caused major damage to the top of the Yao Lien’s leg blowing the limb completely off the BattleMech sending its jump completely off course.  The Yao Lien flew out of control through the air slamming into the ground more than two hundred metres away from Joe’s position the medium BattleMech slamming into the ground its right arm digging into the ground causing it to tumble across the ground disabled its pilot unconscious or dead.

In the air above the LAMs DropShips were coming in for their landing as aerospace fighters continued engaging their Capellan counterparts.  “Alright people sound out your sectors how are we doing?”  Hulkenburg called out stepping his BattleMech forwards looking around the Capellan forces that had been in the area were in retreat.  Each of his company commanders called in reporting the same as what Joe was seeing the Landing Zone was secure.  He had lost eight Land Air Mechs with three of their pilots killed in the action but the Sixth Davion Guards Land Air Mech Detachment had done well in its first live fire battle and their commander was very proud of their accomplishments.

Victory at the landing zone quickly leads to victory on the planet with AFFS and mercenary units charging across the planet’s surface pursuing the defenders wherever they headed.  With the Battleship Bravery holding station over the planet there is no escape for any of the units on the planet.  Field Marshal Neela Black allows the Fighting Tigers and the half dozen survivors from the Heart of Courage to leave the planet and seek employment elsewhere while impounding the Capellan survivors in a compound on No Return.  Elsewhere the AFFS and mercenary units successfully drive back the defenders in the Sarmaxa, Randar and Relevow systems securing them for the Federated Suns.  The heaviest losses occur in the Sarmaxa system but not through direct contact with the Capellan Confederation forces one of the Monolith-class JumpShips servicing the First Kestrel Grenadiers RCT hits a nuclear armed space mine in the system completely obliterating the JumpShip and its connected DropShips.  The presence of nuclear armed space mines is a new and worrying step showing the lengths that the Capellan Confederation is willing to go to secure their remaining systems.

BattleMech Bay, Delta Galaxy Command
Phillip Drummond City, New Barcella
Nova Cat’s Den, Periphery
13th October 3107

Marching across the BattleMech bay saKhan Katrine Devalis approached Khan Canin Rosse who stood at the foot of a brand-new Dragon Cat II OmniMech an upgraded version of the original design fielded by the Clan.  Personally Katrine preferred the Nova Cat as a heavy BattleMech but she knew the Khan preferred the faster sleeker Dragon Cat design and that he had championed the most recent upgrade gaining support from across the Clan.  “Khan” she said stepping up beside him like her he wore a simple green utility uniform.

“Welcome home saKhan” the Khan said greeting her despite not looking away from the seventy ton humanoid OmniMech.

“Thank you” she said looking over the OmniMech “it looks good” she said deciding to be diplomatic.

“Power issues not getting to the right side of the chassis” he explained “they need to iron out the kinks before it will be ready for full deployment.”  He said turning from the OmniMech “walk with me saKhan” he said heading deeper into the facility.  “I was surprised that you returned to the Den.”

“I wished to discuss my people’s position my Khan” she said was they walked she noted many of the techs surprised by her presence even before she had taken some of the Clan to attack the Draconis Combine she rarely came to the Delta Galaxy Mechbay.

“Aff, you have done well and fulfilled your vision” he said congratulating her but he saw her confusion.  “Your vision blooded our people and successfully crippled the Snow Raven Clan, something they will not fully recover from for a decade or more, you have done well.  But now it is time to come home Quiaff?”

“Neg, my Khan, I do not believe I have fully fulfilled my vision.”  She said surprising the older man she was glad she could still surprise him.  “My vision had a Nova Cat knocked down before rising once more we have not been knocked down we have continued to rise.”

“You want to be knocked down Quineg?”

“Neg” she answered walking with him in silence for a moment “but there was more my Khan” she finally admitting that she had left something out “once the cat was knocked down another creature emerged one part cat, part bird emerged replacing it.”

“The creatures you liberated from the Combine on Algate, fulfillment of your vision.”  Canin said irritated she had withheld information from him but still not seeing more to the vision.

“Neg, my Khan there is something more to it.”  She disagreed and he needed to understand why “also my Occupation Zone gives us an opportunity to blood our warriors if you would give me experienced troops we could really push against the Combine.”

“To what end we cannot hold territory there for long.  The Combine has vast resources to repel us the Ravens and Bears are both deeply entrenched.  For us to invade further welcomes all three of them to turn on us.”  He said finally “and we need troops here to defend the Den.”

“From what the Den has not been attacked since the Goliath Scorpion remnants and the Taurians attacked us.”  She said “and the Federated Suns are more interested in attacking their Inner Sphere neighbours because they believe us toothless and not worth the attention.”  She said showing her distaste for the Nova Cat’s current position.

“They do not attack us because they know their forces would not survive the encounter.”  He said after a moment “the Federated Suns knows that to attack us on the border would invite the Combine and Confederation to act out of their place.  We do not cause them problems and they have not caused us problems it is simple.”  He said continuing forward “so you can blood all the troops you wish but a full offensive will not be happening.”

“Which brings me to my next point, you keep sending me the old or the very young I need our best troops to make an impact.”

“They are needed to defend the Den” he replied seeing where she was angling he would not release their best troops to her banner he knew that the core of the Nova Cat Touman was now still Warden based they had no wish to engage in open combat with the Inner Sphere instead they were content to continue the series of Clan based honour trials against the other Clans.

“Then I need the Legacy” she said taking a different approach “my WarShips need maintenance in the field I cannot afford to return them to the Den right after they engage in battle.”

“Legacy is needed at the Terminal Four construction point.”  He said naming the next planned space station that would link the Nova Cat’s core territory with their expanded systems.

“Give me an inch!”  She snapped turning to face him as a Shadow Cat OmniMech walked past them heading out of the bay.  “I need the resources to fulfill my vision.  I know you think that it is done but there is more out there I need to find.”

“Even if you do not like what you find?”  The older man questioned

“Yes damn it” she admitted

“Then I will release the Bearclaw to your use.”  He said naming their newest Legacy-class Yardship.

“Bearclaw?  That is a Dominion ship.”  She stated surprised by its acquisition.

“Not anymore” he said smirking “the Severn Leroux made an impact against the Bears” he said naming their flagship.

“I did see the ship was missing” she had believed the vessel was simply on patrol through the nearby systems but the Khan’s aggressive move surprised and impressed her a little.  “Why deploy her to take the Bearclaw?”

“I believed you may need a Yardship.  Sovereign is busy” he said “the Bears had a surplus and were willing to entertain our Trial of Possession.”  He explained “the Severn Leroux is due for a refit so this will be her last combat for some time it is good she will leave service on a high.”

“You are going ahead with the refits?”

“Aff, our Anna Rosse-class vessels have been left behind by newer classes that have been debuted by the Inner Sphere and Clans they are all in need of refit to the Tetrach’s standard.”

“Anna Rosse II?”  She asked about how they would define the class unlike the other Clans a “II” designation was not something Clan Nova Cat had tended to do as expected the Khan shook his head.

“Neg, while the origin of the design is in the Anna Rosse the Tetrarch is a new class of her own.”  He answered it hurt to retire the Anna Rosse name but the new evolution of the design was too much for it to be described as a variant like previous refits.  “We do not agree on much but look at what we have accomplished Katrine” he said raising his arms up to his sides “we have forty-nine systems in the Den, another nine that could be added when we are ready for them.  And your occupation zone already has twenty-one further worlds.”

“I could have more if you released the troops I requested” she said testing the waters once more but her Khan ignored her and continued.

“Our WarShips are classed as among the best in the Clans while our ground forces have the highest percentage of OmniMechs in all Clusters of all of the Clans which includes the mighty Bears every single one of our Galaxies can fight the best our enemies can throw at them.”  He said proudly Katrine Devalis was not convinced that was entirely correct but remained silent allowing the Khan his moment of accomplishment she needed his support to keep her own dream alive. “I think of where would could have been had we taken a different path and I am very proud of what we have accomplished.”

“We can do more” she said not completely agreeing with him or disagreeing

“Aff, we can together” he agreed “I will release additional resources to support you saKhan.”  He finally said seeing her face brighten “two of Omega Galaxies newest clusters” he decided Katrine hid her disappointment quickly deciding that two additional clusters were better than nothing and if they were younger warriors then she could mould them without their Khan’s influence something she could live with.

Battle-line (Lyran Defence of Borghese)
Borghese, Arcturus Theatre
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
20th October 3107

“Screw this!”  Morgan Christifori exclaimed as his Penetrator was struck by a series of long range autocannon strikes.  The damage was negligible but annoying he knew the Horse warrior was trying to tempt him into charging which he wasn’t ready to do.  Morgan’s company had been tasked with supporting the Lyran Commonwealth’s defence of Borghese as the Ninety-fourth BattleMech Brigade, which he had been attached to after Devil’s Rock, were deployed to assist the Lyran Commonwealth.  Initially they had been here for training and orientation but since the Clan attacks on Fort Loudon and Rasalgethi they had been upgraded to a combat assignment the SLS Jericho had been sent to support them but she was currently in the Cumbres system helping the defenders turn away another Hell’s Horse attack.  “Seventh command where the hell are your guards we’re getting pinked to death out here!”  He snapped into the communication link.

“They’ve been held up by the Horses at Elizabeth’s Ridge the Horses have deployed extensive mines and are using Battle Armour ambush in ambushes.  We’ve never seen them do this before.”

“Well listen up if you don’t get me some support you’re going to have sixteen dead MechWarriors out here.  Get your ass in gear!”  He demanded he was laying it as thick as possible but he needed support and it was the only way he could do it.  “Alex move!”  He suddenly screamed seeing the incoming ordinance flying through the air his warning came too late as Alex’s Huron Warrior was engulfed in dozens of long range missile impacts.  Morgan looked away from the BattleMech as it turned awkwardly to the right and then collapsed to the ground.  “Command that’s one less warrior for your to worry about saving.”  He said dryly “com’on people hold it together we’ve got support on the way.”

“We’re going to be dead by the time they arrive” Adam commented his Barghest was battered but there wasn’t much Morgan could do the whole company was coming close to what battlefield analysts termed Combat Loss Grouping where units fell close together as they each accumulated terminal damage at the same time.

“Negative it’s not going down like that” Ralph said marching his Mauler forward launching two flights of long range missiles at the enemy.  “Boss, let’s take it to them we fight better on the offensive.”

“They will rip us apart at range.”  Morgan said triggering his lasers again causing damage to a Horse Balius QuadMech.

“They can’t take the hits, they are in as bad shape as us!”  Ralph said triggering his missiles again combining fire on Morgan’s target knocking the Balius to the ground Adam added a gauss slug to the downed OmniMech ensuring it stayed down.

“I’m with Ralph boss”

“We all are” Lieutenant Ross Lawson commented off to Morgan’s right “we’re going to be ripped up either way Captain I’d rather take the fight to these Clan bastards than die through their pin prick attacks.”

“They want us to charge, they are trying to get us to leave cover” Morgan said he’d been watching the Horse attacks they were holding back hitting the SLDF company with their longest range weapons trying to force the Inner Sphere unit to close.

“But if we stay here we’re dead” his other Lieutenant, Alyson Jones, said her Bushwacker lacking its left arm and most of the armour on its torso.  Morgan fired his two large lasers again knocking down a Kestrel Light OmniMech closing his eyes for a moment Morgan thought about the best course of action.

“Neg, we’re not doing it, if we are going to fight we are going to fight we are going to fight on our own terms” Morgan decided “break by lance head east for four kilometres set up another defence and then we head north and link up with the other units.”

“But the factory…” Lawson pointed out

“It’s abandoned bricks and mortar I honestly don’t give a crap about it.”  Morgan decided hoping the Horses would finish their advance there. “Alyson get out of here now!” He said firing his lasers watching as the four BattleMechs that made up her company turned away from the line.  He saw on sensors Ralph’s Mauler take another particle cannon his.  “Ralph I want your lance out with Ross’ lance”

“Boss, no we stick together” Ralph protested triggering another salvo of long range missiles.

“You can’t keep up!” Morgan snapped Ralph’s Mech had taken too much damage and Morgan knew that even now it would struggle to get out of here alive.  “Ross, detach Pharrell and Gwen they are moving out with me and Adam, Morgan is coming with you.”  He said letting his subordinate know about the changes “go now.”  He commanded breaking another lance away from the company leaving him with his own Penetrator, Adam’s Barghest, Pharrell’s Arcas and Gwen’s Cestus.  Morgan quickly linked the four of them into a private comm. net “and then there was four.”

“I’m really honoured Captain” Pharrell said triggering his lasers at an enemy target “mind telling me why we got the short straw?”

“Because our Mechs can work together” Morgan said adding his lasers to Pharrell’s target blowing the enemy BattleMech’s left leg completely off.  “We are going to go on ten second counts” he said struggling over the heat that had been building up.  “Adam, Gwen I need you guys to put up a show hurt them for a ten second count and give me and Pharrell a chance to fall back.  We will pull back and then turn to cover you on your count.”

“Boss ammo is going to become a problem” Adam noted as he fired another gauss slug at the enemy.

“I know but we’re not going to keep this up long.”  He said “once we get to the rendezvous we’re all running for it.”

“Not very dignified for a Christifori” Pharrell pointed out noting Morgan’s name and how it would look.

“I’ll tell you a secret Pharrell first rule my father told me.  'When you get your ass is in a BattleMech cockpit I do everything to stay alive regardless if it looks good or bad' it doesn't look god but who gives a ****.”  He said as a salvo of missiles go through his now empty anti-missile system and slammed into the BattleMech’s torso. “Live to fight another day we’ll be back.”  He promised them today he was saving his men tomorrow he’d make the Horses pay “first count go!”  He said both he and Pharrell fell back several hundred metres before turning firing their weapons allowing Adam and Gwen to pass them.  Ten seconds later they did the same again covering several hundred metres pulling back.  As Morgan had hoped the Horses settled for taking over control of the ammunition and parts factory instead of pursuing his forces any further.

The loss of the factory was not the only loss of the day more than half of the Seventh Commonwealth Guards had been lost in the battle including the unit’s commander killed when his company strayed through an un-cleared minefield.  Following the battle the Lyran and SLDF units were called on to withdraw from the worlds and link up with the First Commonwealth Guards and the rest of the Ninety-fourth on Grunweld and prepare a counter-attack.  Fortunately the Lyrans and SLDF had remained in control of Summit and Cumbres after the attacks there.

Raid’s In Force
District of Regulus
Free Worlds League
28th October 3107

The Magistracy of Canopus takes advantage of the District of Regulus being distracted in fighting against the Capellan Confederation forcing Free Worlds League forces off Obrenovac, Rushcegg and Saonara forcing them back into the District of Regulus.  The Magistracy of Canopus push further against their neighbour chasing the retreating FWL units into the Ayn Tarma, Skvorec and Wisconsin systems with the two nations engaging in heavy combat on each world in the space around them.  In the Wisconsin system a rare appearance by Magistracy Naval units forces Regulan forces to surrender air superiority but the Magistracy ground forces are unable to gain full control over the system.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2017, 13:40:01 by Dragon Cat »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #522 on: 10 January 2017, 14:39:29 »
GO Horses!

>:D

Sorry... :-[ had to see some Horse love in action, even if they are the baddies. Is there a TO&E for this unit or just randomness...

TT  O:-)

( Oh, good write up too!  O0 )
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #523 on: 10 January 2017, 16:07:42 »
That was certainly a intriguing update!

Canin Rosse time seems to be coming up for a Trial of Position soon from way the Nova Cat saKhan keeps getting steamed with him.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #524 on: 10 January 2017, 17:04:23 »
And just to have a bit of fun regarding JA Baker's idea - I like it and it's happening  ;)

Excellent...

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #525 on: 11 January 2017, 03:15:21 »
Great update :) And yeah I think that the Nova Cats will either be seeing a new Khan in the none too distant future or needing a new saKhan.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #526 on: 11 January 2017, 05:31:42 »
I think the Snow ravens will be needing a new Khan first
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #527 on: 11 January 2017, 13:53:04 »
I think the Snow ravens will be needing a new Khan first

Perhaps, but a lot of the real blame can be placed on the head of the sakhan.  The Khan can't really get out of attacking the wrong targets first, but the more serious blow to Raven morale - their failure in space - can be pushed onto the sakhan, who is supposed to be "in charge" of the fleet.

Longer term thinkers will probably see the failure as a good thing, as it is forcing the Ravens to become less complacent in both their own industry and how they treat the Outworlders.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #528 on: 11 January 2017, 14:09:16 »
Blame the saKhan what a cop-out

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #530 on: 12 January 2017, 21:08:40 »
GO Horses!

>:D

Sorry... :-[ had to see some Horse love in action, even if they are the baddies. Is there a TO&E for this unit or just randomness...

TT  O:-)

( Oh, good write up too!  O0 )

They were faced off against one of the Horde Clusters - so fast, maneuverable front-line units but I didn't fully stat them out

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #531 on: 17 January 2017, 18:26:13 »
Not the biggest of updates or one of the most exciting but perhaps one of the more revealing in recent times.  As always I welcome your comments and speculation.

The first part was initially the brainchild of James Tanaga it then went through the washing machine came out and went back in again before I was completely happy with it.  The second part caused me some of the most trouble in this timeline to date - how to make it work?  I went from one extreme to the other with that part while the last part shows what a "united" Free Worlds League is... its potential and its peril.

Enjoy

Clan Grand Council, Clan Hall
Andery, Tukayyid
Clan Territory Inner Sphere
5th November 3107

Khan Natasha Faraday stood to the side as she watched the holo-video of a Scientist doctor and nurse, both belonging to the Rasalhague Dominion treat the female Technician belonging to her Clan. Christy, a Freeborn of MechWarrior stock, lay on the hospital bed answering the Scientist’s questions. What happened to her would be avenged, she vowed silently to herself.

Assigned to the Disease Research Facility as part of Clan Fire Mandrill’s very small detachment, she had gone missing five weeks ago. Tortured, raped, starved, and the word ‘surat’ had been carved into her forehead with a rusty knife before finally the said knife had been plunged into her stomach. Oh yes, there would be a reckoning, she again promised herself.

The Technician was found being dumped off in the training grounds of Dinju Heights by a Rasalhague Dominion Trinary of Elementals in Rogue Bear battle armour during a training exercise against the Second Ebon Guard Cluster. The Ebon Guard and Dominion troops had interceded and captured the four dezgra who had left her there to die. Three Scientists and a Labourer, all belonging to Clan Coyote, they were the ones responsible for this atrocity.

Yet what the young woman had somehow had the strength to say before passing out chilled her to her core. Those four dezgra were Society cell members, or so the young Technician had informed her rescuers as she lay nearly dying of her wounds. That and they were wanting to know how to get through the Disease Research Facility’s security grid kept Natasha from leading her three clusters of Fire Mandrills she currently had in the system storming into Clan Coyote’s territory. But only just her people were tired from the battles on Schyler and there had to be a way for the Clans to resolve this.

The live holo-video was switched off. Turning her head, she saw the other Khans, both physically and in holo-image glaring at the two Coyote Khans. Both had the grace to look ashamed.

“Kindly explain what happened to this young Fire Mandrill by members of your Clan,” the Loremaster of the Clans Thomas Ward bit out as he waved to the now dead screen. “Else your Clan will be in for a reckoning and I doubt Clan Wolf will come to your assistance this time. In fact my former Clan will likely go for the jugular.”

“Agreed,” answered the Khan Amina Kerensky of the Wolves growled her anger clear to be heard.

The Coyote Khan, Carl Heller swallowed before answering. “I do not know what has happened,” he answered the Loremaster before turning to Natasha. “I truthfully do not know, Khan Faraday. But I will help to ensure whatever has happened will be answered harshly among our Warrior Caste.”

Natasha snorted, but the Khan Ragnar Magnesson of the Rasalhague Dominion answered for her. “What happened is that a Fire Mandrill Technician,” he waved his hand in the direction of the monitor on the wall, “was kidnapped and tortured for information on how to bypass the security around the Disease Research Facility. And instead of just being killed and let that be the end of it, they raped her, carved ‘surat’ into her forehead, and finally dumped her in the training area around Dinju Heights. All done by members of your own Clan.” The aging Freeborn Khan all but snarled at the Coyote Khan the recent trials between the Rasalhague Dominion and the Coyotes had been fought with honour he began to question that philosophy.

The Coyote Warrior paled significantly. “The Disease Research Facility-,” he began to ask.

“Additional security precautions have been taken,” Thomas Ward assured the Coyote Warrior. “But now I must ask a very pointed question. Your answer will either assure your Clan’s destruction or its very own survival,” the former Wolf warned the Coyote Khan.

“Ask,” was his simple reply.

“The Watch has found evidence of Society cells in the Inner Sphere and Periphery. Even the Mountain Wolves finally found one of their own with Society links,” he said speaking of the Exiled Clan in the Lyran Commonwealth the holographic images of their Khans included in this meeting because of the threat the Society possessed to them all they had thought the threat was contained in the Homeworlds, they were wrong.  “Yet only the Nova Cats and Clan Coyote remains without known agents,” the Loremaster replied in kind before waving to Natasha, who proceeded.

“I find that very unlikely. Reports suggest in the Homeworlds that elements of the Society formed within Clan Coyote,” she paused, smirking at the now deathly pale face Carl Heller in front of her.  Her clan had fought its way clear of the Homeworlds she had thought those days were behind them.

“Dezgra” the Coyote Warrior replied remarking about the Coyote traitors and most likely the Mountain Wolves neither of the Mountain Wolf leaders spoke up.

“Aff, they are dezgra to the majority of the Clans but still originated within the Clans” Thomas Ward rebuked him trying to get off the topic of the Mountain Wolves he knew the Hell’s Horses, Wolves and Jade Falcons were just as angry the Exiled Wolves were here. “Khan Faraday called for them to be included in this emergency meeting to ensure everyone was aware of the threat the Society possess to us even here in the Inner Sphere.  We are here to discuss the guilt of Clan Coyote in these proceedings and the appropriate response.”

“Aff,” Carl Heller answered.

“What is the exact nature of the Society cells within Clan Coyote? Khan,” Ragnar Magnusson asked, staring into the Coyote Warrior.

The Coyote Warrior visibly sighed before answering. “The Watch have identified several additional cells.”  He admitted having been further shocked by the findings his operatives had made.

“Are operations ongoing against them, quiaff?” queried Thomas Ward from his table.

“Aff,” the Coyote answered back. “There is a strong movement in the Warrior Caste to annihilate the vermin. Unfortunately we have found that many of their cells are based in populated areas our operations have been limited.”

“So you turn a blind eye to the Society when it suits you!” Ragnar Magnusson roared.

“When it is either that or our Clan’s destruction, yes!” roared back the senior Coyote Khan. “We have no other choice! My Clan is just trying to survive,” he added desperately.

“Massive collateral damage is not what any of us want to see.”  Khan Canin Rosse of the Nova Cats said speaking up he too communicated with the council via Hyper Pulse Generator and was represented by a hologram standing where the Nova Cat table should be.  Heller was glad to see at least one of the Khans spoke sense but he noticed that several others looked angry at the Nova Cat Khan’s words “these vermin as you call them must be destroyed but it must be done correctly.”

“Correctly” Jana Pryde agreed “it is the Coyotes fault for allowing them to breed if collateral damage is required then so be it.”  Khan Jana Pryde said angrily turning on the Nova Cat Khan “and you Clan Khan Rosse should we be turning our eyes on them for the Society?”

“Turn your eyes towards us all you like Khan Pryde” Rosse said his hologram stepping towards Pryde “but beware if you look too long those eyes may be clawed out.”  He warned the young Khan of the Falcons loosed surprised by the instant turn in the Nova Cat’s attitude gone was the old warrior and in his place was a vibrant ready warrior.

“Having Clan Coyote turn on these cells with reckless abandon would see the Clan destroyed.  Is this how we will deal with these threats now?”  Rosse said breaking away from the Jade Falcon leader looking at the other Khans “the last Clan to turn on its civilian population was destroyed by the Inner Sphere.”  He warned “the Homeworlds Clans have been destroyed in the fighting there.  The Sphinx Raptors were destroyed for being associated with the Society…”  He said looking around the other Clan members.

“Aff,” Natasha answered back with an almost feral look at the Coyote table Heller refused to look at her ashamed of what his Clan had done. “I remember, for it was my own Clan that did the deed.”

“My point is originally the Clans numbered twenty.”  Khan Canin Rosse said looking around the remaining Clans “our current number is nine less than half the Founder created remain.”  He said intent on shaming the remaining Khans he knew that they were all responsible for their own Clans but showing them how far their culture had diminished would hopefully make them see reason.

“And if there was an ilKhan there would be only one.”  Jana Pryde shot back finding her voice.

“And how successful have you been with that?”  Rosse challenged turning back on Pryde putting the younger woman in her place “Kerensky’s Wolves are the closest to Terra and even then they have been incapable of closing closer than fifty light years on Terra.”  He said he saw Amina Kerensky’s angry expression but she said nothing knowing it was true the Wolves could not push towards Terra without opening their flanks to attack they needed the other Clans to keep the dream of being an ilClan alive.  “We need Clan Coyote to stand with us, we need our culture to survive,” he said passionately his words resonating with the other Khans “and we need to eliminate the Society completely here and at home.”  He said “Khan Heller, I bid the Nova Cat Watch to assist you in removing the Society the correct way.”  He said biding the three Clusters that made up the Nova Cat Watch.

“It will still cause heavy damage…” Heller began before Rosse cut him off.

“That is the price your Clan will pay” Canin Rosse said angrily the Nova Cats would also be taking payment for what the Coyotes had done but that would be dealt with in time.

“If a Clan cannot stand alone then it should not stand at all” Ragnar Magnesson said recalling the decision the Grand Council made when the Smoke Jaguars faced destruction.  “I was not there but I believe it is our Culture’s way the strong stand the weak fall.”

“And it would benefit your Clan” Teresia Cooper of the Hell’s Horses replied glancing at the Ghost Bear Khan “your Dominion would like to bid for the absorption of the Coyotes Quiaff?”

“A trial that you would like to oppose, quiaff?”  Magnesson asked

“Enough” Thomas Ward said getting the attention of both Khans “the absorption of a Clan is something that can only be completed with the full support of this council.”

“Which I believe neither Clan Sea Fox nor Clan Nova Cat would agree to” Khan Evangeline Clarke said exchanging a glance with Khan Canin Rosse who nodded his thanks for the support.

“Clan Mountain Wolf would like to bid a Cluster of our best warriors to join your mission Khan Rosse” Khan Evan Kell said speaking up for the first time taking attention off the proceedings.  “Many of you do not class us as a Clan but we wish to defend the culture that birthed our Clan and honour those that came before us.  Phelan Kell, my predecessor as leader of the Mountain Wolves…”

“Dezgra” Amina Kerensky of the Wolves muttered looking at Evan Kell under her breath Canin Rosse was about to speak but Kell spoke up first.

“…required of me to be a student of history as I understand it unlike the Smoke Jaguars the Coyotes have not requested assistance with this issue but it has been offered to them as such this Council has already violated the rule of a Clan standing alone or passing.”  He explained gaining an angry glance this time from Khan Jana Pryde.  “Khan Rosse my offer of assistance stands my Wolves will assist in ending this Society threat.”

As the hours of debate continued all of the Clans, spurred on by the offers from Clans Nova Cat and Mountain Wolf agreed to add forces to Canin Rosse’s forces giving him a Cluster from each of the Clans.  Loremaster of the Clans Thomas Ward looked at the leader of the Nova Cat Clan.  “Khan Rosse, the task of destroying the Society rests with you are you ready to command these brave warriors?”

“Aff, I agree” Canin Rosse said looking at the Coyote leadership “I will pursue and destroy the Society influences in our culture.  Clan Coyote will take damage this is unavoidable but I will ensure that no Clan warrior creates more collateral damage than is required.”

“I agree to these terms” Khan Heller said almost redundantly accepting that his Clan would pay a price for bringing the Society to the Inner Sphere he slowly turned to face the Fire Mandrill Khan, she continued. “As surkei for your Technician, I offer Clan Fire Mandrill control over the system of Diosd, the population and resources that reside in that system.”

“You believe my Clan can be bought!” Natasha exclaimed in anger trying not to show how pleased she was to gain control over the system.

“We do,” the Coyote saKhan Sepp Heller replied his almost mechanical voice cutting through the air.  Heller had been injured when he was young and his voice box had been replaced by a synthetic model it had not affected his abilities as a warrior however. “After all, were you not bought out by that periphery nation you now are so protective about? The one you have illegally allowed to give technology to despite past Grand Council agreements.”

Natasha shook in fury as she noticed many of the Khans now turned their glares to her she knew that none of them liked how the Mandrills had survived but she also knew the Sea Foxes and Nova Cats had done the same in the past. She chose her next words with care, less her Clan be targeted. Well played, Natasha mused to herself grudgingly. “I accept your surkei on behalf of my Clan, saKhan.” She answered back before moving to her Clan’s own table, where her own saKhan sat, shaking his head at her.

“Loremaster Ward, my Nova Cats will be in position to assist Clan Coyote by May at the latest.  I suggest that Clan Coyote continue to target the cells they are able to without collateral damage for now herding the remaining members of the Society into a smaller number of targets.  We will finish them off.”

“Khan Heller, you will with immediate effect end assaults on the Inner Sphere” he said glancing at the Hell’s Horses Khan “your joint offensive is over by decree of this Council.”  He said looking back at Heller “instead you will continue operations against the Society, the Ebon Guard will be deployed to several of your systems all trade will be funneled through these systems and vetted by the Ebon Guard to ensure no destructive elements escape your territory.”
“That will cripple us economically!”  Carl Heller stated angrily barely containing his anger the offensive against the Lyrans had given his warriors an outlet for their frustrations now other Clans would operate in their territory and his Clan was restricted to combat against their own people.  He looked at Khan Teresia Cooper of the Horses and saw her anger he knew that the only way to keep her Clan from attempting to absorb his own was to attempt to continue at least some of their operations against the Lyran Commonwealth despite the orders of the Council.

“It is that or you face my Mandrills in Trials of Combat!” Natasha Faraday called out angrily finding her voice once more bringing Carl Heller from his thoughts he looked at the Fire Mandrill Khan and then to the hologram of Nova Cat Khan still stood in front of him.  He glanced at saKhan Sepp Heller before back at the Loremaster of the Clans “Loremaster, we will cooperate.”  He said finally.

“Khan Rosse, good hunting to you.”  Loremaster of the Clans Thomas Ward finally said Khan Rosse nodded his agreement.

Sixteenth Whitting Conference
Unity City, Terra
Star League Protectorate
11th November 3107

First Prince Burton Davion surveyed the other leaders of the Star League and was not impressed with the turn out.  Due to the recent fighting between Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces and the armed forces of Clans Coyote and Hell’s Horses, who had now pushed onto Kelenfold and Blue Diamond, Archon Jessica Steiner had refused to attend instead sending Duchess Ilse Kelswa-Aten of Skye in her place.  With heavy fighting still occurring in the District of Oriente Free Worlds League leader Captain-General Joseph Marik had also refused to leave the Free Worlds League instead attending an emergency session of the Parliament sending Duke Robert Brett-Marik in his stead.  With the Federated Suns still generally at peace both Burton Davion and his with Sterling and his parents had attended the conference on Terra enjoying the break from the normality. 

Burton felt bad for the other houses who faced conflict internally and externally but he could not forgive them for not attending this conference the Star League gave them support on many levels failing to attend was not the way to gain support from the council.  This had worked in the Federated Suns favour neither the Lyran Commonwealth or Free Worlds League were eligible candidates and through promised aid both nations had been convinced to vote in favour of the Federated Suns with the Draconis Combine voting for the Star League Protectorate.  With the Federated Suns and Star League Protectorate nominated the Taurian Concordat and Magistracy of Canopus had abstained from voting with the Federated Suns and Star League casting votes for themselves the Federated Suns had once more been confirmed as holding the position of First Lord. 

The First Prince stood and looked around the council for a moment before speaking “I am honoured that you would choose the Federated Suns to lead this Star League but I believe I am the wrong man to become First Lord.  Should the Federated Suns be attacked I would do as Archon Steiner and Captain-General Marik have done and defend my home.”  He said “however there must be a First Lord which is why I nominate the one man who I believe can look beyond his loyalty to his home nation and look to the good of the whole Star League.”  He said turning slightly looking at his father who had sat behind him at the Federated Suns table “four term First Lord, Victor Steiner-Davion.”  He said looking at Victor as he raised from his chair and walked out of the room without saying a word to his son.

---

Several hours later Victor stood looking angrily at his son behind them both Victor’s wife Danai Centrella-Davion and Burton’s wife Duchess Sterling Davion watching their husbands.  “I RETIRED!”  Victor shouted angrily looking at his son.

“The Star League needs you!”  Burton snapped back “you know fine that without strong leadership the Star League will fall again and with that the Clans will invade once more!”

“That isn’t my problem you are First Prince they voted for you” Victor said turning towards Danai “this is supposed to be our time.”  He said to his wife

“It is your choice” Danai said taking a step towards him “and I will stand with you” she said smiling as Victor turned back towards his son.

“Our argument is mute the other leaders will not agree to this…” he began

“They already have” Burton said silencing him “even Bannister Cameron agrees with this course of action and is willing to have you both as guests on Terra.”  He said “I have informed the Governor that a combined arms Regiment of the Davion Guards and some of my best DMI bodyguards will be with you.”  He promised them both he would not have Cameron believing that Victor and Danai could be used against him in the future.

“You have everything figured out?”  Victor wondered just how long his son had been thinking up this little plan.

“Well I did up until the point where you said no” his son admitted “the Star League needs you” he said glancing at his mother “it could use you both.  The Protectorate has looked inward since Bannister took control they see a Cameron sitting in charge and think that the old Hegemony’s glory days are returning.  You are known across the Inner Sphere and will be accepted by these worlds as someone who understands the need for unity instead of the infighting that caused the Succession Wars…”  Burton said he believed that his father was the only man who could stop the Star League Protectorate becoming a new Hegemony which looked at itself first and the rest of the Star League a distant second.  He knew that Bannister Cameron would not like the presence of a First Lord on Terra but not under his control but he also knew the former General would accept it and that he was honourable enough that he would not try anything against his parents.

“You have me” Victor said looking at his wife “you have us.”  He said embracing his son he whispered in the man’s ear “you are a better man than think you are not many would give up what you have or go to the lengths to help others.”

“You have” Burton replied reminding his father of his glory days during the Clan War.

Three days later Victor Steiner-Davion is officially confirmed as the next First Lord of the Star League Defence Force.  The appointment is welcomed in most parts of the Inner Sphere who see Victor as someone who has looked out for the whole Inner Sphere and has warred to protect it and not to dominate like his predecessors.  This news filters through the Inner Sphere as Archon Jessica Steiner successfully leads the defence of Kelenfold destroying two Clan Hell’s Horses WarShips and two clusters of ground forces in the system.  Unfortunately this success is not repeated in the Blue Diamond or Fatima systems where the First and Eleventh Arcturan Guards RCTs are driven out of the system by Clan Coyote with the survivors from the Eleventh folded into the First to keep at least one of the commands active.

Parliament
Atreus City, Atreus
District of Marik, Free Worlds League
22nd November 3107

Duke Jonas Halas stood in front of the united Free Worlds League Parliament looking around the representatives of their nation.  “People of the Free Worlds League my District of Oriente come to you at a time of great need today the Capellan Confederation are at Oriente’s gate ready to burn it down and land troops on my home world.  And yet while my people fight for their very lives trying to defend their homes the District of Oriente move on our systems.”  He said angrily looking over at the Regulan leader.

“Our nation is simply moving to support Oriente against the Confederation.”  Prince Lester Cameron-Jones said calmly looking around the Parliament “Regulus has the power to control the aggression from the Confederation” he said “we will turn them back.”

“We do not need your help” Halas said looking back at Cameron-Jones “I agree we do need weapons but we do not need you to take our territory.  We need support not conquest.”

“A national peacekeeping force could solve these problems” Captain-General Joseph Marik “controlled by this parliament a force equipped with the best weapons that  the Free Worlds League can produce could support all nations without taking territory.”

“A federal force has been done before and does not work.  Each district state of the Free Worlds League must stand or fall a weak link will destroy this nation we have rebuilt.”  Prime Minister Ledford said he was proud of his District of Bowang and how it stood by itself without assistance from the other nation states.  “We may not be as strong as others but we can take care of ourselves.  We do not need Parliament directing troops inside our borders.”

“I agree to bring forces that are not controlled by the leader of the district would cause more trouble.”  Duke Raymond Brewer-Cameron-Jones of Lesnovo said “this parliament was designed to support this whole nation not create a new army.”

“And so this Parliament turns its back on troops from one district fighting against another?”  Jonas Halas said angrily “it allows Regulus to gain a numerical advantage over all other states and it will allow Oriente to die?”  Halas said looking around at the other system leaders “if this is Parliaments decision then perhaps this nation state should be broken once more!”

“No-one is saying that” Captain-General Joseph Marik said “what they are saying is that we must all be strong.  You say you need equipment and troops Duke Halas?  The District of Marik will answer this call.”  He promised “I will not see Oriente fall to the Capellans or to anyone else” he said looking around the room “and I will not allow this Parliament to break.  The national peacekeeping force is for now put aside but I will ask you all to continue to consider it as these months progresses when your worlds are threatened by outsiders think about what this type of force controlled by this Parliament could do.”  He said finally he would continue to push for Parliament to have its own military forces he would continue to try to hold this nation together and he would try to support Oriente despite Regulus best efforts to see the state gone.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2017, 18:33:20 by Dragon Cat »

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #532 on: 18 January 2017, 00:44:48 »
 O0 nice update!  Laying additional ground work for more stories!!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #533 on: 18 January 2017, 03:11:55 »
Excellent stuff and excellent ground laying too :)  Something tells me that the 'yotes JUST avoided an absorption/annihilation shaped bullet.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #534 on: 18 January 2017, 07:26:53 »
wow, that that a lot foreboding of things to come.  The Star League looks like its getting setup for major problem in the days ahead by the Clans, as the Clans try go varminting of the evil Society cells.  For group of scientists (or alleged) they certainly don't have tight controls over their members.  Attacking members of other castes and trying to come up some other evil scheme seems very stupid.  You think they'd know better keep their members in line or know the meaning of operating in silence.   Now the hammer coming down, though i don't know how well effective it will be, since they need an effective Watch to weed out people in hiding.

Star League Protectorate doesn't seem to be on steady grounds, with it's member states distracted.  Poor Victor.  ;D

Should be certainly be interesting reading coming up!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #535 on: 20 January 2017, 20:43:08 »
marauder648 - the Coyotes are in a little hot water...

Wrangler - the Clans have been exposed to the Inner Sphere for almost 60 years so their Watch isn't too bad

Glad you enjoyed it here's an Intelligence Report

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56107.msg1289674#msg1289674

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #536 on: 26 January 2017, 19:42:33 »
Now that the forums are working again, and with absence of anything new to read, time to end 3107

My thanks to James Tanaga for the Rim Collection part and marauder648 for the Sea Fox part... and please all welcome Clan Spaniel to the AU  ;D

MIIO/DMI Debriefing
Castle Sandoval, Robinson
Crucis March, Federated Suns
2nd December 3107

After weeks of checking and double checking of financial and communication records House Davion’s MIIO and DMI organisations confirm that Mordecai Sandoval was responsible for the murder of Tancred Sandoval.  Duke Jerome Sandoval is once again confirmed as the leader of the Draconis March until Tancred’s son Duncan Sandoval decides if he wishes to lead.

Under the instruction of Jerome Sandoval the DMI put in place a plan to arrest Mordecai Sandoval on the planet of Lima.  Unfortunately the DMI arrive on the planet late as Mordecai Sandoval, his Robinson Defenders and the Fourth Robinson Rangers LCT had already left on an illegal strike against the worlds of Royal attacking the Sixth Ghost Regiment on the planet.  With overwhelming firepower Mordecai ensures that the entire Sixth Ghost Regiment is destroyed in the fighting.

RCS Cassandra
All Dawn, Rim Collection
Periphery
11th December, 3107

On board the small station’s gravity deck which overlooked All Dawn and the repair site Matthew Davion leaned against the wall; arms against his chest, as he watched out the observation window as the RCS Providence begin its slow burn to All Dawn’s primary jump point. Having finished its repairs and modifications to the RCS Cassandra, he knew the Fox-III Refit Ship was now on its way into Lyran space to Triesting where the battered hulk of the LCS Adam Steiner lay adrift, but salvageable, the Rim Collection had agreed to help the Lyrans salvage the Hyperion-class Heavy Cruiser as part of far a far larger trade agreement.

He turned his head to the side, noting a newcomer come to his side. It was Merchant saFactor Casey Horn of the Steelsoul Khanate. He was instantly on his guard, less he misspoke around her. “Respectable work in getting something out of this Dart,” the tall female Merchant remarked looking at the vessel through the window.

Matt turned his head back to the observation window, careful to hide his smile. “You mean your Clan is interested in her, quiaff,” he asked.

“Aff,” the Clan Merchant bit out. “It would make an excellent ship in our fleet.  If I did not know it better, I would say you designed it for my Clan in mind.”

“How so?” Matt queried the Clan woman. He already knew the answer, but played along.

She began as she matched his pose next to him. “The twelve docking collars and respectable cargo space for one. Thirty kilotons of fuel for another.”

“Do not forget the integrated medical facilities, nor her integral fighter complement,” he joked.

“So you did redesign her for us?” she queried.

He shrugged in response. “We noticed the Clans generally lacked dedicated support ships for their fleets.”  He said the Bears, Horses, Ravens and Nova Cats all had yardships but none had ships that could carry a variety of supplies instead relying on supply DropShips. “She might be a jack of all trades, but she should do just fine in that regard.”
He caught her shadow nodding at his reply. More than fine,” she purred. “Will your government agree to a Trial of Possession for her,” she finally queried.

“Neg,” he quickly answered her. “And I doubt my government will license the design either.”
Casey huffed. “Then only for trade, quiaff?” she asked.

“Not until we can manufacture more of her class,” he replied. “Unless you have spare Darts lying around?” he conceded.

“That will be decades!”

“Our plan is to begin building warships in eight years,” he commented mildly.

“Still eight years!” Casey sighed. “Is there anyway for you to possibly expedite it?”

“Possibly with your Clan’s support, but I refuse to promise anything until I see the state of the JumpShip yards when they arrive, from what I have been led to believe they were not in the greatest state before our forces began to break them down.” He answered the Draconis Combine had not cared to repair the facilities and the Mandrills had to quickly break them down when at Schyler leading to further damage.

The Sea Fox merchant cursed. “You know you are sitting on a gold mine, quiaff?”

“Aff, but for now, there is not much the Collection or the Mandrills can do,” he informed her.

He heard her sigh and smiled, knowing she had taken the bait. “I will speak with the other leaders of my Khanate and to Khan Clarke,” Casey conceded. “No promises.”

Matt nodded. “None expected.”

He noted she turned to leave and then paused. He turned his head and scrunched his eyebrows as she turned back to him. “What is the story of the name change by the way,” Casey queried.

Matt chucked, figuring out why she was perhaps confused. “When we first began our redesign of her, we meant her to be a true warship it was only after we properly looked at her we knew we lacked the capability to turn her into a true warship.  Instead of the name Wildfire we decided to honour Khan Cassandra Faraday with a vessel that could support our Clan well into the future.”

Casey nodded to herself. “What type of warship if I may ask?”

“Now that would be telling,” Matt remarked, winking at her.  Casey shook her head before turning away. Matthew Davion heard something about incorrigible freebirths and laughed, knowing it was aimed for him.

SLDF Base of Operations
New Bealton, Odessa
16th December 3107

Captain Morgan Christifori entered the office of Lieutenant-General Amy Benton commander of the SLDF unit’s on the Jade Falcon/Hell’s Horses border and stood to attention in front of the seated Colonel.  “Reporting as ordered Colonel” he said announcing himself.

“Welcome to Odessa, Captain” she said standing up looking at him “at ease Mr Christifori” she said stepping around the table.  “You have done well against the Clans thus far Captain but the Hell’s Horses most recent attack on Summit has shown their desires and what they are willing to risk to succeed.”  She said Morgan nodded he had heard of the Hell’s Horses attack on his burn towards Odessa four days before an entire Galaxy of the Horses Horde Clusters had attacked the Third Commonwealth Guards RCT on Summit supported by two WarShips.  The Horde units were built around speed while the Guard units were all old heavy and assault designs it was inevitable that Summit would fall.

“The Horses have one of the strongest Toumans” Morgan said “and their attacks are bringing them closer to Odessa and Arcturus.”  He surmised “should they capture either it would be a severe body blow to the Lyran Commonwealth.”

“You are correct Captain” she said rising from her chair “which is why the High Command have directed that we do more striking behind enemy lines disrupting their supplies and command structure.”  She explained Morgan nodded it was about time the SLDF took action action against the Clans, the enemy it was created to fight.  “Unfortunately they cannot spare me another brigade for another three months when the Second Sirus Regimental Brigade will fully mobilize and join us” she explained her own Ninety-fourth Royal BattleMech Brigade was spread over Odessa, Grunweld and Garrison.  “Instead I’ve been charged with supporting the Lyrans with this brigade.”  She said Morgan thought she was being a little melodramatic the Ninety-Fourth itself had five Regiments three were made up of BattleMechs each with an attached artillery battalion while the remaining two were one elite jump infantry and an entire regiment of Battle Armour troops.  All in all one of the strongest ground force Brigades the SLDF fielded, if they could concentrate against their enemy.  “So instead I have had to improvise” she said moving over to a large table off to the right of the office Morgan followed her over standing a respective distance from the table his arms clasped behind his back.  “This is the Horse border” she said indicating to the holo-map displayed just on top of the table the planet’s relative positions to each other hovering in space.  Odessa, Grunweld and Garrison glowing gold showing the elements of the Ninety-fourth and their readiness “if we abandon these systems the Lyrans will be exposed” she said looking at Morgan “I can’t take our units forwards against the Horses but I can deploy elements off planet to strike the Horses.  Companies and Battalions of our best trained and equipped troopers willing to take risks and if required make the ultimate sacrifice.”

“I understand sir” Morgan said stepping forwards “with a couple of extra Mechs and their pilots my company stands ready to serve.”  He said confidently General Benton smiled before looking back at the table.

“I think not, Captain, your company cannot make enough of an impact alone.”

“With respect, General, my company will get the job done and everyone of us knows our duty and what is required of us we are part of a greater plan what comes, comes.”  Morgan Christifori said making it clear to the General that he knew that he was just another officer and that his name meant nothing in the greater scheme of things.

“I know you are ready to serve Morgan” she said using his first name “and your people have done well but alone they cannot make enough of an impact.”  She said “however as part of a greater Battalion which had the right commander they could do something special.”

“We are ready to serve” Morgan said “sir, I knew my independent company couldn’t last forever, I can take orders.”

“I am sure you could” she said “but who says you should?”  General Benton asked a smirk crossing her lips as she shut down the holo-map revealing a pair of Major rank insignia pips.  “Major Christifori you are out of uniform” she said stepping away from the table leaving Morgan to collect the new insignia before she continued “I’ve pulled Nico Cardin-Goyer and Paulina Kopec’s companies back to Odessa along with some new recruits we’re reinforcing your company and with a squadron of aerospace fighters they will form your new Battalion which has been designated the Ninety-fifth Special Operations Battalion of the Special Armed Service Division.”

“Blackhearts” Morgan Christifori whistled surprised by the designation.

“Don’t let it go to your head Major” she warned him “you’re still under my command.”

“Yes, General, we won’t let you down what is our target?”

“Bountiful Harvest you leave at the end of the month when your transport arrives.  Good luck to your Major and the Ninety-fifth.”

Titanic (Sea Fox-class ArcShip)
Beta VII, Sea Fox Occupation Zone
Clan Occupation Zones
21st December 3107

At just shy of two million tons the Titanic lived up to her name.  What had once been a Potemkin class assault cruiser was now a mobile home, factory and habitat for thousands of Clan Sea Fox military and civilian personnel.  Her outer hull bulged where DropShips had been permanently attached to her hull, whilst hydroponic bays dotted her flanks and spine no longer a WarShip this vessel was a colony that moved between the stars.  The massive ship sat at the centre of a fleet of DropShips and fighters, patrolling round the space going massive leviathan like small fish following an ocean going whale.  But this titan was not alone, for another beast of the black swam alongside her, the Terror of the Deep a Nightlord II class battleship and flagship of Clan Sea Fox. 

Her passengers had already been sent across to the Titanic and the two giants now cruised a few hundred meters apart as the conference started.  Every Khanate had sent their representatives, and it was here that financial futures would be discussed, details on profitable markets, areas of growth and shrinkage and areas to be exploited as well as new designs showcased.

On the vessel’s largest gravity deck as the previous presentation about a planned assault transport VTOL came to an end Sub-Chief Scientist Katya stepped up and smiled.  Around her she could see dozens of other Sea Fox personnel, Merchants, Sub-Factors, Scientists of all ranks as well as Warrior-Merchants, those bold profit and market seekers who would traveled across the Sphere with minimal support seeking smaller but none the less profitable markets with nothing but their own skill and acumen to support them.  Beyond the gathered audience here there were hundreds more throughout the Titanic and on board the nearby vessels listening into this broadcast.

A light on the big holo-projector in the centre of the room came on and that indicated that it was her time to start speaking.  She’d won the right to give this presentation after winning a Trial where she and her competitor had been tasked with ‘fixing’ the Great Depression of Ancient Terra, or at least lessening its impact based on historical information that was available to the time period.  Katya had found the competition interesting from a historical point of view as well as a challenge she’d learned how to think like the traders of the past and face their challenges with the resources that they had.  Their papers, reviewed by the Merchant Factor of the Bloodscent Khanate himself saw her declared the winner.  So taking a deep breath Katya nodded and began.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I give to you today our workings from the last nine months.  Whilst other Clans and the Spheroid houses are now producing greater numbers of Assault DropShips or Pocket WarShips it is a market we have yet to move into.  And there is a market for such vessels.  The Dominion is looking at producing their own design but that is caught in a bureaucratic snarl-up with their firms bickering about who would produce what.  The Wolves have their Isegrim but lack the facilities to produce them at a useful rate.  The Hells Horses also have a want for an assault ship that is not the decades old Noruff design.  And the Ebon Guard would also desire an Assault vessel for their own uses in the defence of Tukkayid.  There is also the potential to sell to the Inner Sphere, the Grand Council of course still having a say in what we can trade with our Spheroid contacts.”  There were soft chuckles round the large chamber, the Foxes sold to whom they wanted and only paid polite lip service to the edicts on trade between the Clans and Houses. 

“Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Nagasawa class Assault Dropship.”  The large central 3D holo-projector sprang to life, showing a perfectly clear image of a long, sleek and aggressive looking vessel.  Smaller windows opened up displaying her statistics and predicted capabilities.

“Basing our design on the original Noruff, the Nagasawa is half again as large, massing three thousand tons and like the Noruff we chose to make her a fast and agile craft, with her engines producing twice the thrust of an Isegrim class vessel at full burn.”  Katya said continuing as she saw the Foxes taking an interest in the design and begin comparing it to its nearest competitors.

“Unlike the Isegrim though we have chosen not to mount any sub-capital weaponry instead we have designed the Nagasawa’s weapons around a mixture of conventional ballistic and energy weapons.  A quintet of our newest Rotary Autocannon-5 and a quintet of Extended Range Particle cannons form the vessels primary forward punch whilst extended range large lasers, LRM-20’s and large pulse lasers provide all round firepower.  Each of the missile launchers are fitted with the latest Artemis-V tracking system whilst fifteen laser anti-missile systems provide the defences she needs.”  She said explaining what had gone into the Nagasawa overall it was some of the most advanced conventional weapons available to the clans.

“Scientist factor we have developed our own sub-capital weapons why have they not been employed?”  Another scientist Kinberg of the Deathstrike Khanate asked she could tell from his tone that the older warrior was not trying to challenge her instead he sounded curious.

“This weapons fit was chosen because honestly, if she was armed with sub-capital weaponry she would be under gunned, there is only so much you can fit on three thousand tons after all.  Each of the weapons is in its own cradle which will allow them to be fully modular, and whilst not an Omni-vessel, our testing has shown that this makes the weapons easy to maintain and refit if needed.”  She said their experiments on the prototype fixing alternate weapons to the hull had unfortunately failed on the holo-display the audience showed technicians working on a full scale mock-up of a RAC-5 mounting, with the weapon being dismounted and replaced in ten minutes.

The view then went to a 3D cutaway of the interior of the vessel.  Katya moved around to the side of the holo-tank, a laser pointed highlighting sections of the ship’s hull which peeled back to reveal the interior layout.

“Using a wide range of input and experience as well as the latest in computer modelling the interior is laid out to be efficient and comfortable.  And most importantly the vessel is sturdy.  With ninety tons of Ferro-Aluminium armour the Nagasawa will take a hit from even a capital scale weapon and survive something that cannot be claimed by ships of this size and many far larger vessels cannot boast this level of protection.  Combined with the ships speed which allows them to outrun large aerospace fighters and many medium sized ones they have the ability to move into the optimal position to bring its firepower to bare whilst taking the worst that an aggressor can throw back.”

On the holo a simulated battle took place with a Nagasawa engaged against Spheroid fighters as well as a DropShip.  The simulation showed the Nagasawa’s strengths, outmaneuvering a larger Spheroid Assault DropShip and crippling its engines before chasing down medium fighters that simply could not outrun it.

“Whilst not atmospheric capable it is capable of deep space patrols and escorting larger vessels.”  She said the ship would be capable of escorting any of the Sea Fox WarShips and ArcShips and it would be able to attack enemies of their Clan.  “The hull is also designed to be manufactured in sections, with each section fitting like a jigsaw piece. This allows for them to be constructed at smaller facilities and at greater speed than a traditionally keel or spine built DropShip.  This would also allow for the sections to be built and sold as needed, creating a market for spare parts or indeed, spare sections.  Each of these sections when broken down will measure thirty meters in length and with this, you could fit a fully broken down Nagasawa in the cargo bay of a Mule class transport.  A competent work crew could assemble the hull within a matter of weeks, but of course the fitting out, installation of electronics and the vital systems would still take months, this can shave a significant amount of time from construction and allows the Engineers to work in a safe and pressurized environment.”  She said seeing that she was beginning to lose her audience she decided to end it quickly.

“Should construction be approved we believe that the first star of Nagasawas can be ready within four months and that would be using the production facilities we have aboard the Titanic.  A fixed facility could produce them at a greater rate.  And we do need these vessels.  Whilst each fleet has its self defence capabilities, there are well founded concerns about what might happen if we were turned upon.  Whilst the other Clans simply cannot and will not, because they need us and our trade, the House Lords are far more fickle, and we have seen what they are capable of thanks to the Capellans actions many years ago.”  A low murmur went round the chamber, the words were true the Sea Fox Clan could not afford to lose another of their mobile colonies.

Whilst the ArcShips were massive, they were no battleship, and their tactical doctrine called for them to simply jump away if threatened, using DropShips and fighters as a sacrificial screen.  Most ArcShips lacked a heavy escort and only the Terror of the Deep could fight a major battle, and she was being outclassed by the latest vessels to come out.  There were calls by the Warriors to trade for or obtain in battle the first Arbitration-class vessel to be built to help secure the Clans valuable assets, as well as calls for more WarShips to escort the absolutely priceless ArcShips everything was considered expendable.  Even the Terror of the Deep was expected to sacrifice herself if an ArcShip was threatened by an opposing military force, and this lack of major defence sat heavily in the minds of many of the Khanates. 

“And while our military strength is enough to discourage adventurism the Spheroids may try us, and with the Nagasawa we can and will meet any challenge that comes our way.”

The holo now displayed a ‘typical’ ArcShip surrounded by a swarm of Nagasawas, their bright engine flares driving back an off-screen darkness as the symbol changed to that of the Diamond Shark’s insignia.  Katya smiled as she knew she’d done well this day and it would be noted in her codex and if production was approved, promotion, prestige and profit all beckoned. 

“Now moving on to a lighter subject, we feel that there is another market for us to exploit, and for this we must call upon one of our most potent forces.” Katya said, she knew about the next presentation and decided to ‘big it up’ somewhat as she stepped back.  An eager and young looking Merchant stepped up as the Scientist took her seat, smiling at the applause she received as well as notifications on her console about personal meetings regarding the design.
“I wish to thank Scientist Katya for yielding the floor and I apologise for the tonal shift.  But there is a market that we have not thought to swim, one that helps all of the Clans of Kerensky, and stands to bring great profit at minimal cost and with maximum impact.”  The lights dimmed and a rather happy yet stirring piece of music started playing before the holo sprang to life projecting yellow highlighted orange words that read ‘The New Adventures of Clan Spaniel!’ As a rousing musical soundtrack began introducing the new holo-vid show which was being proposed for release to the Clan and Inner Sphere populations.

AFFS Facility
Lee, Lee PDZ
Capellan March, Federated Suns
27th December 3107

For the last six months this deal had been on the table and finally the two sides met face to face.  Duchess Kym Hasek felt nervous sitting opposite the older General Stormy Hutton head of the District of Oriente’s ground force military.  “Both ships are ready for delivery as are the agreed ground forces.”  She said looking at the older woman “as agreed both ships await your prize crews while my ground forces are ready to move into the region when you agree.”  She said confident knowing that she had the Oriente officer where she wanted.

“You are enjoying this aren’t you?”  Hutton asked there was an angry edge to her voice Kym Hasek knew why many of Oriente’s troopers had died fighting the Capellans and now with Regulus at their backs Oriente had been forced to turn to the Federated Suns for assistance.  “You know during the Clan invasion the shoe was on the other foot?  It was the Federated Commonwealth coming crawling to the Free Worlds League for weapons and arms and we did not ask for territory.”

“I do not believe the Federated Commonwealth asked for access to WarShips.”  Kym Hasek said putting it into perspective each of the WarShips they were talking about was worth the GDP of the two planets in question while the ground forces included were almost an afterthought.

“Only because time has been good to your Suns” Hutton continued “it is almost like it has been written that no ill will befall your people while all others suffer.”  She said angrily “I trust you know that your time will come?”

“Your leader has agreed to this trade do not jeopardize it now” Kym Hasek warned she was not particularly happy with the High Command’s decision and knew that her people could take both planets and many more in a concentrated assault on Oriente’s territory but the decision was not hers to make.  The First Prince had decreed that the Federated Suns should not attack its Star League Defence Force neighbours and instead concentrate on the Capellan Confederation unlike her father, George Hasek, Kym was not in the position to disobey New Avalon’s instructions.

“I know my duty I just do not like this whole situation my nation has found itself in” Hutton said resigned to dealing on the Federated Suns terms “my troops will being to withdraw from Sakhalin and Sarna by the end of the week.”  She said finally “you may move troops into the systems at anytime but none are to set foot on either planet until we complete our withdrawal.  As agreed between our governments anyone who wishes to leave either system for the next six months will be allowed to at the expense of the Federated Suns with travel paid for on commercial transports to bring them into the Free Worlds League both WarShips and the ground troops are to be delivered to the Suzano system before I leave this system or the deal will be off.”

“That is what was agreed” Kym Hasek agreed smiling extending her hand which General Stormy Hutton met and shook “and now it is for the Federated Suns to return this world to prosperity.”  Kym Hasek said taking one final dig at the Oriente General since the fighting between he Capellans and Oriente Sarna and nearby Sakhalin had suffered from an economic depression which the District of Oriente did not have the money to support.  Now the Federated Suns could return to the soil and fix the problems while the DMI agents embedded on the planet could cease their activities the First Prince had directed no open combat activities but had said nothing about intelligence activities Kym thought as the meeting ended another victory for the Capellan March.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2017, 19:48:29 by Dragon Cat »

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #537 on: 26 January 2017, 21:03:00 »
love the update.. the Rim worlds is going to have there hands full getting the jumpship yard back in operation. 

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #538 on: 27 January 2017, 03:47:01 »
I must admit that when I was writing the bit for Clan Sea Fox I had this in mind as the theme for The Adventures of Clan Spaniel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuJuWyfZcEw

Its suitably rousing yet fun.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #539 on: 27 January 2017, 03:53:22 »
Map end of 3107

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/dragon-cat-collection/3081-map/30/#lastPost

And attached the unit listing for the end of 3107

Register