Author Topic: Coming Soon to MegaMek  (Read 276015 times)

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
Re: Coming Soon to MegaMek
« Reply #660 on: 25 July 2021, 12:40:56 »
Coming soon to MekHQ: Force Icon Piece Rework (Post 3: GUI)

The new standard icon setup is akin to the portrait and camouflage setups, with minimal changes. The old images have been moved to the upcoming MekHQ Extra Data repository, which will initially hold thousands of standard force icons made by Mjolnir06 plus our complete current setup.

The bulk of the work has been to improve the Layered Force Icon Setup. This is the visual for the new dialog, which is visually done but missing significant functionality.

Unit Icons have an updated GUI too, and now default to the Force/Units folder. If you prefer using a faction logo, those can instead be found in the Pieces/Logos folder. (Note: no work has been done on the individual images here).

GM Tools is also getting a layered force icon GUI where one can create an icon then export it for use outside of MekHQ.

And finally, an exported icon made using the new pieces.

Note: I have not started working on selection at this time, so the examples are all icons that have been migrated from older save files (0.47.7 and 0.49.2 mainly). It's still very much a work in progress, but... these will not be changing much if at all visually.
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #661 on: 25 July 2021, 12:54:16 »
Bison-YES!-meme-dot-gif.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Ender12B

• Recruit
« Reply #662 on: 25 July 2021, 14:00:33 »
As part of Force Icon Piece Rework are you creating a way to batch make unit Icons? Like say I’m making a Mech BN, can I set the top unit in the TOE to be the Mech BN, then the next layer down would automatically be Mech Co’s, then Mech Lances. If that’s not included in the Force Icon Piece Rework. How would I go about requesting a feature like that? I get frustrated doing the same mouse clicks for a while bunch of Lances over and over again, I would love a “apply to all” or “apply to selected”

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #663 on: 25 July 2021, 14:42:51 »
As part of Force Icon Piece Rework are you creating a way to batch make unit Icons? Like say I’m making a Mech BN, can I set the top unit in the TOE to be the Mech BN, then the next layer down would automatically be Mech Co’s, then Mech Lances. If that’s not included in the Force Icon Piece Rework. How would I go about requesting a feature like that? I get frustrated doing the same mouse clicks for a while bunch of Lances over and over again, I would love a “apply to all” or “apply to selected”

The only planned change there is a copy/paste feature for force icons on the TO&E (which I am planning on doing a paste to all children), which should simplify creating larger forces. Doing what you are suggesting is not trivial to implement and will not be part of my rework.

If you want to raise it you can in the MekHQ GitHub link in my signature, but I wouldn't expect anything done about it for probably years.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Ender12B

• Recruit
« Reply #664 on: 25 July 2021, 17:02:32 »
a paste to all children feature is a 90+% solution to my problem. Thank you for the work you do.

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #665 on: 25 July 2021, 23:46:18 »
Very interesting... I'll be interested how much you can cram into the frame... at this moment it looks considerable    :o

P

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #666 on: 25 July 2021, 23:59:03 »
An option for the BA is to just do a one-letter code for the size of the suit instead of the whole three-letter code to cut down on work.  The three-letter coding breaks down once larger mixed BA formations are used and the one-letter coding follows the other established icons in mechs and ASF formations.

That is actually correct but was not included in the original write-up.  Larger BA formations would just have their weight class used and the two letter ID would be dropped.  As the view at the time was "predominant units" would either be more numerous than BA or BA units would be so small but of a single or overwhelmingly majority that this was not needed.  Instead attention was given to more esoteric types of Infantry.   Thank you for fixing that!

P

johnboyjjb

• Sergeant
« Reply #667 on: 26 July 2021, 16:38:27 »
I really like the regenerate bot forces option. It is a shame I can't do it for a specific bot but instead all the bots get regenerated.

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #668 on: 26 July 2021, 18:44:44 »
I really like the regenerate bot forces option. It is a shame I can't do it for a specific bot but instead all the bots get regenerated.

Feel free to open a RFE for individual forces on the MekHQ GitHub linked in my signature.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #669 on: 02 August 2021, 15:41:06 »
Improvements to Princess configuration
We hope to have this code in 0.49.3 but it could slip to 0.49.4 or later.
  • Modernizes the Bot Config Dialog
  • Princess Presets now only care about the 5 behavior sliders (technically, the rest is saved too, but when selecting a Preset only the five slider values are pulled). The other settings are scenario specific and don't feel like they belong to a "Behavior Preset"
  • When adding a bot, the Configuration (<- that means all settings, including prio targets) of already existing local bots (= those added through the Add Bot button in the lobby) can be copied; they are offered at the bottom of the presets list (see screenshots)
  • Princess Configurations are saved in savegames; they can be recalled by the new Replace Players Dialog; When this is opened all stored configs are used to preselect and preconfigure Princess bots. If no changes are wanted, it's basically sufficient to press OK after calling up the dialog and all previously existing bots will be restored
    When reinstating bots in the lobby, they are local bots and fully configurable
  • Hex and unit targets are now shown with some more info to them. Units can be added in the lobby from the main unit list. For both there's a dialog to enter them somewhat conveniently. Duplicate entries are avoided.

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #670 on: 02 August 2021, 16:02:54 »
I love the slider bars... "Highway Menace" is hilarious!  :D

Lisbon

• Recruit
« Reply #671 on: 02 August 2021, 16:30:20 »
A great improvement from what we currently have!

A question: how possible is it to have entire forces as targets, instead of individual units? I'm thinking it would work greatly when in convoy attack/defend scenarios

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #672 on: 02 August 2021, 17:16:19 »
A question: how possible is it to have entire forces as targets, instead of individual units? I'm thinking it would work greatly when in convoy attack/defend scenarios
Not at this time.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #673 on: 02 August 2021, 18:17:57 »
snip

While you're in there, please take a look at the dialog labels vs. the help file, and the named presets in the XML.  Per this I think they should be updated rather than simply copied over.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Juliez

• Private
« Reply #674 on: 03 August 2021, 01:55:42 »
A great improvement from what we currently have!

You will be able to right-click any force in the lobby force view (or any amount of selected units in the sortable unit list) and select "Add Priority target for..." from the popup menu. This will add all selected units or all units of that force as prio targets.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #675 on: 03 August 2021, 08:45:37 »
While you're in there, please take a look at the dialog labels vs. the help file, and the named presets in the XML.  Per this I think they should be updated rather than simply copied over.

Yes. This should fix the issue.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #676 on: 03 August 2021, 19:58:01 »
Yes. This should fix the issue.

Excellent.   :thumbsup:
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Mike1976

• Recruit
« Reply #677 on: 28 August 2021, 11:45:47 »
Thanks people for your work!

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #678 on: 29 August 2021, 12:09:32 »
New Campaign Project Wave One: Campaign Preset Rework

Campaign presets have been completely rewritten and heavily expanded upon, to handle a full options setup in a single file. Startup options only affect new campaigns, while the continuous options can be applied to new or old campaigns.

The selection dialog has also been rewritten.

The new setup also includes full userdata support.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #679 on: 29 August 2021, 12:11:51 »
Which version of Campaign Operations does it use (1st or 2nd printing)?  ???

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #680 on: 30 August 2021, 15:53:49 »
Which version of Campaign Operations does it use (1st or 2nd printing)?  ???
Given the origin of the individual preset I'd assume 1st printing, but that's not part of the rework (outside of AtB, which will be getting its date specified). I've not changed the actual presets, just expanded the overall functionality.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #681 on: 30 August 2021, 16:05:45 »
Rog, thanks!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #682 on: 20 September 2021, 16:00:30 »
Just going to leave this here.

This doesn't mean Alpha Strike or Strategic Battleforce will be playable in MegaMek it's simply a tool for unit conversions we are developing. It's also VERY early in development and months way from being released.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

VulcanMagus

• Recruit
« Reply #683 on: 20 September 2021, 16:05:37 »
!!!!!!!! :D

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #684 on: 20 September 2021, 16:06:01 »
Glad you put a disclaimer in. That's a good way to set all of BT fandom on fire from excited vibration and arguing. :)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #685 on: 20 September 2021, 16:17:56 »
Glad you put a disclaimer in. That's a good way to set all of BT fandom on fire from excited vibration and arguing. :)
LOL...yeah we figure just the conversion part of stuff will generate "conversation" in the community.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #686 on: 20 September 2021, 16:43:35 »

Although to be fair....

https://i.imgflip.com/5no0k5.jpg

im super excited for this tho. glad to see it
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #687 on: 20 September 2021, 17:13:02 »
Hmmm... I thought the point of MegaMek was that you didn't need the more abstracted systems at all...  8)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #688 on: 20 September 2021, 17:13:48 »
Hmmm... I thought the point of MegaMek was that you didn't need the more abstracted systems at all...  8)

No, see Chess.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #689 on: 20 September 2021, 17:16:50 »
I can only assume you mean the Noisel version...  :D

Register