Author Topic: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA  (Read 145540 times)

DanghenWoolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Incoming fire has the right of way.
Re: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA
« Reply #1080 on: 25 February 2021, 09:16:34 »
Hoping so! Also hoping my 3D terrain will be complete for play. I am only working on the classic Battletech mapsheet but so far it is looking good and about 85% complete.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1081 on: 25 February 2021, 18:51:18 »
Sweet!  Can you post any in progress pics?  8)

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #1082 on: 25 February 2021, 19:51:59 »
Hey guys, I have not been feeling well the last couple of days, chalk it up to some really nice weather, but out of an abundance of caution I will not be attending this weekend.

While you shall be missed this is the exact reason I’m ok with the group coming to my place to roll dice: none of us are morons.

We will look forward to you joining us for our March game.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1083 on: 25 February 2021, 20:20:14 »
I'm still symptom free, and will get my second shot on 08 March...  Looking forward to seeing you soon!  :thumbsup:

DanghenWoolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #1084 on: 26 February 2021, 09:04:41 »
Sweet!  Can you post any in progress pics?  8)
I started about mid January...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLwg0uulwHF/

I have to paint and finish the elevation, more woods and some rough hexes but other than that it is going pretty well. I want to do a couple of map sheets worth but getting the edges straight is the hardest part.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1085 on: 26 February 2021, 19:21:46 »
Nice!  I can't wait to see it in person!  :thumbsup:

DanghenWoolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #1086 on: 26 February 2021, 20:37:48 »
Thanks, it is looking really good for my first attempt. Hoping to have some finished pictures this weekend.

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #1087 on: 26 February 2021, 22:06:29 »
Have a great match tomorrow y'all. Stuck working another Saturday down here but I did get dose #2 yesterday. The hit from that AC5 round with Pfizer chalked on it is finally starting to wear off.  ;D

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1088 on: 26 February 2021, 23:18:37 »
I am ready and chomping at the bit for tomorrow's game.  I know Gooner and Danghen will not be joining us.  Who all is still planning to show up?
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #1089 on: 26 February 2021, 23:20:41 »
I am ready and chomping at the bit for tomorrow's game.  I know Gooner and Danghen will not be joining us.  Who all is still planning to show up?

I *guess* I'll be there...since it's at my house and all.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1090 on: 27 February 2021, 05:41:40 »
As long as Tinyozora makes it, I will!  :thumbsup:

Tinyozora

• Warrant Officer
  • House Jurai
« Reply #1091 on: 27 February 2021, 07:24:18 »
I'm also bringing Damocles and a buddy from his military unit may come for a small time.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1092 on: 27 February 2021, 07:42:58 »
All good!  Masks all around!  8)

DanghenWoolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #1093 on: 27 February 2021, 22:03:01 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1094 on: 28 February 2021, 07:36:46 »
Awesome work!  I hope we get to play on it one of these days!  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1095 on: 28 February 2021, 12:36:41 »
Well, that didn't take long... a little over 12 hours later, and my 13th has been spoken for by work... Sorry I won't be there!  :-\

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1096 on: 01 March 2021, 11:59:10 »
Well, that didn't take long... a little over 12 hours later, and my 13th has been spoken for by work... Sorry I won't be there!  :-\

Well crap...With some luck you'll be able to join us next time.

But for everyone else, we plan on having a game on Saturday March 13th.

The company has completed their contract on Timbuktu by smashing the local pirates and were able to make some improvements to a couple of their mechs.  The regiment the company is a part of has now taken up a contract with the Lyran side of the FedCom to rescue some militia units that have been captured by a group calling themselves "Morrison's Extractors"; more specifically the son of minor nobility has been taken hostage. 

The company has run across this group before and learned first hand that they are equipped with LosTech equipment and advanced armor that gives their mechs superior protection that were temporarily working alongside the Timbuktu pirates.  These Extractors have, without question, been the toughest adversaries the company has encountered and now the opportunity to exact some vengeance has presented itself.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1097 on: 01 March 2021, 14:17:28 »
So I looked up the rules for making a direct fire artillery attack, an in my version of Tac Ops it says the following:

"Direct Fire

To make a direct artillery attack, the artillery unit must have line of sight to the target hex, and the target hex must be no further than seventeen hexes away.  Do not modify the to-hit number for range, target movement, the terrain of the target hex or an immobile target."

For Indirect Fire, it says this:

"Indirect Fire at Targets Seventeen Hexes or Less Away

Artillery units may make an indirect attack on a unit that is less than seventeen hexes away if there is no LOS to the target hex."

So taking the Oblique Artilleryman SPA would be pointless if you were trying to extend the range of the LTAC to shoot at a moving target >17 hexes away.  Now you still take a +4 penalty for making a direct fire shot no matter what.  So with the LTAC Orion, its to-hit number will always start off at a 6; 2 for gunnery and +4 for the direct fire penalty.  Then you'll have to factor in obscuring terrain between you and the target hex and of the Orion moved.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2021, 14:21:26 by Jester006 »

Tinyozora

• Warrant Officer
  • House Jurai
« Reply #1098 on: 01 March 2021, 18:41:54 »
Jester, you are right that Oblique Artilleryman SPA wouldn't add range to the LTAC, but for reasons different than you think.  We should probably read these rules better sometimes as I was mistaken on some things as well, but I think for the most part we've been playing right. 

As per pg 97 of TACOPS Advanced Units and Equipment, Artillery Cannons are not artillery, but Ballistic Weapons.  They CANNOT make indirct artillery attacks.  Instead, they make indirect attacks using the rules for indirect LRMs, but still scatter as per standard artillery rules.

So, based on that, they do not get the +4 direct fine penalty, as that is for direct fire artillery attacks, and this is a direct fire ballistic weapon when fired directly.  It still scatters as artillery (just 1/2 distance), so it would need to be a GM call if oblique artilleryman's -2 scatter could apply.  It makes oblique attacker much more interesting a choice as well (Or get both).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1099 on: 01 March 2021, 19:56:54 »
I think Artillert Cannons came out either at the same time as those SPAs, or perhaps later.  Explaining why their status is ambiguous with regard to the SPAs in question.  At least ONE of them should apply in some fashion, I think...  Or, you know, you should give us a house rule SPA that covers them (since we have an opportunity to add another one now...  ^-^)...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1100 on: 01 March 2021, 23:19:02 »
So after doing some reading, I am interpreting that "Oblique Attacker" won't work with the LTACbecause artillery canons specifically say they cannot make indirect fire attacks and the Oblique Attacker SPA hinges on firing indirectly.

Now "Oblique Artilleryman" makes mention of using Tac Ops to look up the map sheet range of artillery weapons.  Artillery canons dont have ranges in map sheets; so I'm inclined to believe the rules designers meant Oblique Artilleryman to be used with the full-fledged artillery pieces (not canons).

So I have idea to make an SPA that allows the gunner of an artillery canon to be able to fire it indirectly and maybe some minor bonus.  I am open to other ideas as well.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1101 on: 02 March 2021, 04:21:44 »
I think the main thing we were chasing was the reduced scatter...  ^-^

Tinyozora

• Warrant Officer
  • House Jurai
« Reply #1102 on: 02 March 2021, 18:07:30 »
So after doing some reading, I am interpreting that "Oblique Attacker" won't work with the LTACbecause artillery canons specifically say they cannot make indirect fire attacks and the Oblique Attacker SPA hinges on firing indirectly.
Uhm...it says that Artillery Cannons do not make artillery indirect attacks.  They use the indirect rules of LRMs.  So Oblique Attacker would directly apply.

I think the main thing we were chasing was the reduced scatter...  ^-^
also accurate.

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1103 on: 02 March 2021, 23:11:30 »
Poor quickdraw ate like three of those arty shots

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1104 on: 09 March 2021, 11:21:04 »
Not sure if I said this earlier or not, but u do allowed armored components in the current era.  Not sure if you all want to use that for any of your mechs, but the option is there.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1105 on: 09 March 2021, 19:57:10 »
Nice, especially for the Ostscout. Electronics are EXPENSIVE to replace.  Armor is cheap...  ^-^

Also, my work commitment on Saturday moved to Sunday, and my wife said she'll be busy with homework all day Saturday, so I'm back in (if Tinyozora can pick me up)!  :thumbsup:

Tinyozora

• Warrant Officer
  • House Jurai
« Reply #1106 on: 09 March 2021, 21:39:36 »
you bet!  And I've got a new guy from a Battletech Discord who lives in the area who popped up and wanted to get back into the game.  Waiting to hear from Spacecat to confirm another new person is ok.

DanghenWoolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #1107 on: 10 March 2021, 08:42:50 »
Unfortunately my weekends have filled up. In October we had a small dishwasher leak that caused some damage to our cabinets and floors and then drained into our basement, we are finally getting to move forward with the repairs so we get to try and figure out how to Tetris 2 floors worth of furniture into a single bedroom so the construction can get underway.

We are estimating another 6-10 weeks before everything is wrapped up...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1108 on: 10 March 2021, 17:51:26 »
Thanks Tinyozora!  See you Saturday...  8)

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #1109 on: 11 March 2021, 08:39:55 »
So I just got the final word that I have to work this weekend to prep an exec briefing for Monday.
I got outvoted by my workgroup who want to meet on Saturday (I obviously tried to get them to swing it to Sunday).
So it looks like instead of rolling dice Castle Space Cat will be closed while I stare at spreadsheets on an overly long conference call.

I'm hoping either ya'll can find another locale on short notice or maybe we can reschedule (though I feel the latter option isn't going to be feasible).
Sorry about the short notice, I was trying to bend the weekend work date to my will up until the last moment at the staff meeting this morning.