Author Topic: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.  (Read 56460 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.
« Reply #390 on: 28 July 2023, 08:12:38 »
Yes and no.

From the Wolf Clan Sourcebook:
Alpha Galaxy members wear a strip of synthetic Wolf fur on the left shoulder of the uniform/dress cape just for being posted to Alpha. There's also a ritual for real wolf fur instead of synthetic. Called the "Wolf Rite", 5 candidates are chosen and dropped off mid-winter into the snowy forests of Strana Mechty wearing only briefs and given a hunting knife. The team of 5 must steal a fresh kill from a pack of wolves and carry it back to base camp (100km). The Clan watches the broadcast of the team. Those who die are honored by having their names painted onto the hull of the warship Dire Wolf. Those who are successful can use real wolf fur instead of synthetic and earn the title of KinWolf. As of WCSB, only 53 active warriors have the title.

Gamma Galaxy warriors each receive the patch of a famous SLDF unit. They are to learn the history of that unit as well as that of their immediate superior as well as that of the galaxy commander.

Delta have a ritual called the Bloodstart. This occurs for a warrior's first confirmed kill. If time & battlefield conditions allow, the warrior is taken to the place where the enemy warrior was killed. A small portion of blood is wiped across the warrior's brow, then the warrior is expected to bury his fallen foe. Afterwards the warrior is expected to make restitution to the fallen warrior's next of kin (kind of unusual in Clan situations).

Field Manual Crusader Clans say Vlad tossed aside all the Galaxy-specific traditions since they clan was been recreated.
One extra bit of followup I missed b/c it's hidden under the uniforms category in FMCC. For the Crusader Wolves, the honor of wearing real wolf fur was changed to bloodnamed warriors designated as worthy by the Khan or saKhan. Such warriors had to stalk and kill a Strana Mechty Wolf single-handedly using only the weapons they could fashion themselves in the wild. I'm not sure how this was updated after the Wars of Reaving.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #391 on: 29 July 2023, 02:34:55 »
I would guess the Wolves took example of the Strana Mechty wolf with them. Like the Nova Cats and Ghost Bears took examples of their totem animals to their OZ's. Though wherte they release them is anyone's guess.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #392 on: 14 October 2023, 14:01:57 »
It continues to gall me that the Horses are bootlegging the Dire Wolf and Timber Wolf, that they have just begun producing them out of factories that should have (per FM3145) been stripped of their mech-specific tooling, or in the case of the dire wolf, I think it's a factory that may not have existed prior to this. This is not the clan way, there was no trial for the right to produce these designs, they are engaged in the dezgra behavior of simply churning out copies of a machine they desired. Really seems like the Wolves ought to be dispatching someone to issue a trial of some sort (Grievance? Possession?) over the design rights violation.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #393 on: 14 October 2023, 18:13:55 »
This is not the clan way, there was no trial for the right to produce these designs, they are engaged in the dezgra behavior of simply churning out copies of a machine they desired. Really seems like the Wolves ought to be dispatching someone to issue a trial of some sort (Grievance? Possession?) over the design rights violation.

The Clan way is as much about "if you're strong enough to take it, it's yours until someone takes it (back) from you" and "if you aren't strong enough to hold what you have, you don't deserve to have it" as it is about some nebulous design rights concept that we've precious little of in canon. If it was dezgra, why would the Wolves bother stripping the factories down in the first place when they could just say "okay, now initiate a Trial for the right to produce these designs"? If the Wolves didn't want someone swooping in and retooling the factories, they should've destroyed them completely. I'd say that by abandoning the factory, they abandoned their rights to whatever they produced.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #394 on: 15 October 2023, 00:53:02 »
I'd say that by abandoning the factory, they abandoned their rights to whatever they produced.

That sounds pretty Clanlike to me; the Wolves didn't want it anymore and left it behind.  It's up to whoever the last man standing is to take it over.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #395 on: 15 October 2023, 04:21:13 »
The Clans (allegedly) abhor waste, so the fact that the Hell's Horses picked up and recycled trash the Wolves threw on the side of the road elevates the former over the latter really.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #396 on: 15 October 2023, 09:57:48 »
. . . some nebulous design rights concept that we've precious little of in canon.

It is all over the place and why the 3050 mechs were given specific producers in 3050U, why we hear Clan X trialed Clan Y to produce the design.  As he mentioned, the Dire Wolf itself has a complicated initial story.

BUT . . . I will go with your abandon theory as well . . . otherwise the Savage Wolf Falcon vs Fox story would not have come about as much.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #397 on: 15 October 2023, 13:17:17 »
It continues to gall me that the Horses are bootlegging the Dire Wolf and Timber Wolf, that they have just begun producing them out of factories that should have (per FM3145) been stripped of their mech-specific tooling, or in the case of the dire wolf, I think it's a factory that may not have existed prior to this. This is not the clan way, there was no trial for the right to produce these designs, they are engaged in the dezgra behavior of simply churning out copies of a machine they desired. Really seems like the Wolves ought to be dispatching someone to issue a trial of some sort (Grievance? Possession?) over the design rights violation.

So what’s your take on all the inner sphere designs wolves produced without any trials to acquire rights to produce them? Or your take on when Foxes sued wolves over design elements when the Amarok ripped off the hammerhead? Or the wolves using Capellan stealth armor on the alpha wolf? Or the wolves using the horses’ interface cockpit for the ryoken III?

Horses took the world. Horses managed to put together the lines and produce the Timber Wolf. Out of universe, does it feel weird that Horses make it? Sure. But in universe they did what it took to get it. Sometimes that means bloody conquest, sometimes it’s being opportunistic

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #398 on: 15 October 2023, 17:15:16 »
Horses took the world. Horses managed to put together the lines and produce the Timber Wolf. Out of universe, does it feel weird that Horses make it? Sure. But in universe they did what it took to get it. Sometimes that means bloody conquest, sometimes it’s being opportunistic

In a way, it's no different than what the Clans did in the Homeworlds during the Wars of Possession when they were seizing former Jaguar holdings. The holdings were abandoned (albeit because of Annihilation and not because they decided on a change of address), and another Clan came in to take possession of them. The Jaguars weren't strong enough to hold onto their things, and the Wolves weren't strong enough to hold onto theirs. Simple.

I also think it ignores that these aren't the Clans of 3050, either. We've had a century of drastic cultural evolution sweeping amongst the Clans, to the point where it's fair to ask "What even is dezgra anymore?" And the answer is the same as it's always been: dezgra is whatever the accusing side can say it is and can make it stick. If the Wolves want to take umbrage to it, they certainly can, but I think they have quite enough on their plate as it is.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2023, 17:17:16 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #399 on: 15 October 2023, 18:35:30 »
If abandoned production lines were rebuilt by a new owner, then clearly whoever rebuilt them earned the right to produce them. 

...This newest discussion is a pretty interesting way to bump a thread!
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #400 on: 15 October 2023, 19:45:52 »
Clans hate waste.  It would be wasteful to destroy said factories, it's not the way of the Clans.   They would remove key important and vital components however.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #401 on: 16 October 2023, 03:06:29 »
I give you another example: after the SLDF had wiped out the Jaguars other Clans picked Huntress clean. for example the Scorpions took over the production facilities on Abysmal and began producing new variants of certain Mechs.
Or another example: the Foxes began producing new versions of the Timber Wolf but under a new name: Mad Cat MK2 and Mad Cat MK 3

On another note:

The Dragoons "abducted" a sibko which was made out of Alaric's genes and they even planned to send some those to the other Clans (excuding the Jaguars and Falcons) while using the rest as candiates (maybe even as breeding material?)
That can't be according to Clan rules right? Would the other Clans accept that "gift"? Or would they be duty bound to send those children back? The Horses will most likely not because they are enemies with the Wolves and would love to spite them. The rest though.. I can see the Foxes and Ravens extract a hefty price for it and the Bears are...unpredictable

And could they perhaps trace the genes back? And find out WHO actually are the genefather and gene mother of Alaric?

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #402 on: 16 October 2023, 03:51:31 »
I give you another example: after the SLDF had wiped out the Jaguars other Clans picked Huntress clean. for example the Scorpions took over the production facilities on Abysmal and began producing new variants of certain Mechs.

I mentioned that already.  :wink:

Or another example: the Foxes began producing new versions of the Timber Wolf but under a new name: Mad Cat MK2 and Mad Cat MK 3

Not a valid example; those are new designs that they created themselves from the ground up, not variants of the Timber Wolf.

The Dragoons "abducted" a sibko which was made out of Alaric's genes and they even planned to send some those to the other Clans (excuding the Jaguars and Falcons) while using the rest as candiates (maybe even as breeding material?)
That can't be according to Clan rules right?

If the sibko wasn't taken in a Trial of Possession, then no. (I have no idea because I haven't/won't read that book, but I assume they weren't.)

Would the other Clans accept that "gift"? Or would they be duty bound to send those children back?

I wouldn't say they'd be "duty bound" to send them back... and why did the book say they were sending some to the other Clans at all?

And could they perhaps trace the genes back? And find out WHO actually are the genefather and gene mother of Alaric?

Katherine's, at least, because she did test into the warrior caste, so it's likely her DNA is on file (with the Wolves). But unlike the pre-WoR days, the Council of Six specifically did not have Blood Chapels/a Master Repository, so I doubt the other Clans have access to those records.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2023, 04:03:48 by tassa_kay »

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #403 on: 16 October 2023, 04:08:53 »
If the sibko wasn't taken in a Trial of Possession, then no. (I have no idea because I haven't/won't read that book, but I assume they weren't.)

I wouldn't say they'd be "duty bound" to send them back... and why did the book say they were sending some to the other Clans at all?

The sibko was part of the raid on Gienah. But as you said not part of a trial of possession as the Dragoons never declared a trial or answered to Othar's trial request. It was basically a smash and grab though the sibko was only part of it (the other parts were smashing the garrison and either kill or capture Othar)

Kincaid's reason was that he has the progeny of Alaric's genes and he now has spread it to the stars basically forcing Alaric to fight against his own children at one point. He was also referring to the giftake of said children when he told Marotta Kerensky about this. So maybe if said Clans take those children and raise them to worthy warriors they might have the option to take a giftake from them (from what I understand is that warriors give a gifttake the day they enter the warrior caste) 

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #404 on: 16 October 2023, 04:47:40 »
Kincaid's reason was that he has the progeny of Alaric's genes and he now has spread it to the stars basically forcing Alaric to fight against his own children at one point.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like cringe fanfic, LOL. Is this supposed to be some sort of flex? If the sibko kiddies end up doing well and Alaric finds out they were bred from his DNA, he can just chalk it up to his "superior genetics", and if they don't, then it means nothing. Either way, the whole thing sounds incredibly stupid.

He was also referring to the giftake of said children when he told Marotta Kerensky about this. So maybe if said Clans take those children and raise them to worthy warriors they might have the option to take a giftake from them (from what I understand is that warriors give a gifttake the day they enter the warrior caste)

I guess that's no different than the Clans who have taken in freebirths and added them to their genetic libraries (RasDom and Scorpion Empire especially come to mind here), though I'd imagine Alaric could slap a Clan that uses those sibbies or his DNA (remember, you can't just take warriors from a Clan even through a Trial and use their DNA; you have to win the breeding rights separately) with a Trial of Grievance (or worse, since he's the ilKhan-for-Life) since they did not win those breeding rights in a Trial.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2023, 05:15:22 by tassa_kay »

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #405 on: 16 October 2023, 05:41:24 »
I'm sorry, but this sounds like cringe fanfic, LOL. Is this supposed to be some sort of flex? If the sibko kiddies end up doing well and Alaric finds out they were bred from his DNA, he can just chalk it up to his "superior genetics", and if they don't, then it means nothing. Either way, the whole thing sounds incredibly stupid.

I guess that's no different than the Clans who have taken in freebirths and added them to their genetic libraries (RasDom and Scorpion Empire especially come to mind here), though I'd imagine Alaric could slap a Clan that uses those sibbies or his DNA (remember, you can't just take warriors from a Clan even through a Trial and use their DNA; you have to win the breeding rights separately) with a Trial of Grievance (or worse, since he's the ilKhan-for-Life) since they did not win those breeding rights in a Trial.

I am not sure if Alaric will simply "chalk it up". After all from what I understand is that the genes of "superior" warriors are something Clans fight huge trials over. Heck the Wolf Clan never lost a trial in regards to the Kerensky samples (loosing a warrior with a Kerensky bloodname yes but not the rights to the use of said genes). So if now his genes have been spread by MERCENARIES I could see that as a slap in the face (like "What? You can't even defend your own "children"? Sucker!") Of course the question is if said gifts ever arrive at the intended recipients. Otherwise it will simply be swept under the rug.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #406 on: 16 October 2023, 07:30:39 »
Katherine made it into the warrior caste ?

Must have missed something lol, but after all I used to be a strictly Falcon only observer

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #407 on: 16 October 2023, 07:41:52 »

Hack does talk about how Alaric may end up fighting his own descendents. Hack kept most, then sent some to bears, horses, foxes, and would try to reach ravens. He dismissed Alaric’s pet clans. The bulk of the sibko will be raised as Wolf Dragoons, taught who their father is, what sort of garbage, dishonorable weasel he is. They might become soldiers who fight the ilClan or not.

My impression of the real goal was from a different line. Alaric, by virtue of becoming the ilKhan, can name his successor. Hack robbed the wolves of Alaric’s descendants. He delayed Alaric being able to name one of his “children” as a successor for another 10 years. It’s petty and personal in a way only clans would get.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #408 on: 16 October 2023, 08:18:19 »
Katherine made it into the warrior caste ?

Must have missed something lol, but after all I used to be a strictly Falcon only observer

Yup she made it into the warrior caste and she did so by obliterating a Victor Battlemech completly ignoring the rules of her trial of position

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #409 on: 16 October 2023, 10:03:39 »
Yup she made it into the warrior caste and she did so by obliterating a Victor Battlemech completly ignoring the rules of her trial of position
Not true. She ignored the normal rules of the Trial of Position. The Victor was not scheduled as her first opponent, but it was one of her 3 opponents. She took the unconventional route of targeting one of her other targets, got the kill, and that was enough for her & what she wanted/needed.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #410 on: 16 October 2023, 10:29:20 »
Yup she made it into the warrior caste and she did so by obliterating a Victor Battlemech

<I hates my brother!!!>  I remember that on-the-nose bad writing...
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #411 on: 16 October 2023, 13:12:05 »
<I hates my brother!!!>  I remember that on-the-nose bad writing...
Would have been more funny if that had been her brother's Mech. But that Mech was lost when the Black Heart Rose unit was destroyed on Niops

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #412 on: 03 December 2023, 20:11:01 »
Question about Alaric Ward. In the Dark Age novels it was clear he was a fake Clanner with only Victor and Katherine's genes right? I'm rereading Masters of War and Bonfire of Worlds to find the evidence. I seem to recall the Loremaster at the end of Bonfire being aware and ready to spring that news on the Clan when Alaric stepped in the wrong direction.

But fast forward to the last few years, Alaric was revealed to have Vlad's genes as well, and that Loremaster was never heard about again. This was just retcon/not paying attention to former stories ,right?
Clan Protectorate

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #413 on: 03 December 2023, 23:44:17 »
No idea on that, I'd heard he was Vic & Katie & only Vlad by Record Alteration, etc, etc, so they wouldn't show it being Vic & having no clanner in him.

I actually don't even know how he is a "Ward" though since Katie isn't a Ward & its known that Katie is the Gene mother?

If anything the records would need to show Vlad as the Gene-Mother.

But I'm not up on my Republic era reading so not sure what sort of DNA soup they are claiming these days.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #414 on: 04 December 2023, 05:42:30 »
According to Living Legends Alaric Ward is a mix out of Vlad Ward and Katherine's genes. But Katherine was used as the gene mother so how he was even eligable for a bloodname is beyond me. Of course we don't know who filled in the records so it will probably never come out (unless they can trace it down from the 19 children the Dragoons abducted from Gienah). Also who knows if they also infused some of Victor's gene as well.

Also didn't realize it but Alaric is named for the barbarian king who destroyed the Western Roman Empire. Kind of fitting that he destroys the Republic which is modelled after the Roman Republic. And if that is what the writers go by we will get a very long time of war until a new Empire will form.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #415 on: 04 December 2023, 08:11:45 »
I always assumed he was a "proper" Clanner, especially having his Bloodname, but then I found out his mother was Katherine, and I thought that she and Vlad "procreated"

I was never really up to speed on Republic, Dark Age novels at the time, outside Jade Falcon

But will make interesting fiction if this claim/issue keeps getting brought up in universe about legitimacy to rule. Are the Horses aware of this ? If not it will make them even more Hellish mad  :evil:

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #416 on: 04 December 2023, 09:03:24 »
Alaric is Ilkhan now. The question is who actually will dare to speak against him except the Horses? As long as he succeeds no one will dare. Of course pissing off every possible ally isn't exactly a way for a long and healthy career. Imagine if the Bears find out they tore their realm apart because some "mixbred" didn't accept their allegiance and demanded a second referendum?

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #417 on: 04 December 2023, 09:09:20 »
He publicly declared his claim to the Lyra throne, didn’t he? So KSD as a genetic source would be known.

But the VSD side would be hidden. I imagine at least one of the clans that gets an Alaric Junior will test him. Then it’s a matter if the writing team wants to use that for some drama. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #418 on: 04 December 2023, 22:36:39 »
But fast forward to the last few years, Alaric was revealed to have Vlad's genes as well, and that Loremaster was never heard about again. This was just retcon/not paying attention to former stories ,right?

The ONLY bit in fiction where this keys in is b/c his codex triggers Vlad's message heading to Terra.

Hellraiser's bit is one of the confusing things in Legends that is handwaved away to be simplistic- Katherine is called his mother (not a Clan term) because she was a female donor, but not the 'maternal' donor which is the Clan terminology.

Also didn't realize it but Alaric is named for the barbarian king who destroyed the Western Roman Empire. Kind of fitting that he destroys the Republic which is modelled after the Roman Republic. And if that is what the writers go by we will get a very long time of war until a new Empire will form.

Eh, the foreshadowing with Alaric taking down the Roman "Republic" was never really concealed.

His objectives/intention has also never been hidden, which is also why the Arthurian and Alfred-esque names of Mechs that were put out and later turned into . . . eh, Storm Wolf, Alpha Wolf, Amarok, whatever . . . make more sense for the symbolism.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #419 on: 05 December 2023, 09:53:06 »
Hellraiser's bit is one of the confusing things in Legends that is handwaved away to be simplistic- Katherine is called his mother (not a Clan term) because she was a female donor, but not the 'maternal' donor which is the Clan terminology.

I kind of assumed it had to be reversed on the records, just thought it was odd the way they said "Gene-Mother"
Swapping parent chromosome donation would have to be really common given the way blood houses trade certain use rights.
Things like "2 dads or 2 moms or swapped" would have to be fairly norm.
My own character (see sig) had fluff of a female "Paternal Donor" and a male "Maternal Donor" based on which house he was from & who the other donor was.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo