Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXI: Urbie's Beer Run  (Read 141778 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
Re: Upcoming Releases XXI: Urbie's Beer Run
« Reply #450 on: 30 September 2021, 12:39:09 »
was Battle of Tukayyid submitted for Ennies/origins awards? It's certainly good enough.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #451 on: 01 October 2021, 11:02:39 »
The Scorpion Jar is available at the Catalyst Store.
I have spoken.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #452 on: 01 October 2021, 11:48:38 »
The Scorpion Jar is available at the Catalyst Store.

And this is the tipping point for Dark Age novels.  There are quite a few good ones before this, but pretty much all the ones from here onwards are well above the average BattleTech quality.  (caveat, Ilsa Bick's Dragon's Fury books aren't that good but I did enjoy Blood Avatar)
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #453 on: 01 October 2021, 12:10:40 »
for some reason I thought scorpion jar was much later in the series

13/30 now out

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #454 on: 01 October 2021, 12:25:10 »
And this is the tipping point for Dark Age novels.  There are quite a few good ones before this, but pretty much all the ones from here onwards are well above the average BattleTech quality.  (caveat, Ilsa Bick's Dragon's Fury books aren't that good but I did enjoy Blood Avatar)

From Scorpion Jar on, the novels were being written by BT vets for the most part.....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), Two "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," and "Shadows of the Past," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Three White Roses," and "The Markslaughter Files."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." "In the Shadow of Dragons" (Out July 15th!) and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #455 on: 01 October 2021, 12:54:32 »
From Scorpion Jar on, the novels were being written by BT vets for the most part.....

Craig

I think it's more than that - especially as a lot of the writers in the back half had only a couple of Battlecorps credits under their belt.  There's exploration of factions who got sod all screentime until this run like the Free Worlds League, some deeper story elements like Danai's trauma... there's more meat here than the average classic-era BattleTech novel

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
I have spoken.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #457 on: 01 October 2021, 16:21:58 »
And barely a week after book 12. Counting from Ghost War being released in March, we should hopefully have the whole collection available by mid-2022.

So I was told a few years back when I enquired about which MWDA books to get, and so it proved. I too didn't really find the Combine books all that engrossing, and after reading the Black Dragon machinations in the Jihad sourcebooks I was a bit disappointed they weren't the ones who'd engineered the whole dynastic turnover. Toranaga would fit their membership profile, and the Jihad books did mention the Black Dragons deciding to make use of Franklin Sakamoto's line.

I haven't read Blood Avatar yet, though I'll pick it up when it comes. But from what Ben Rome mentioned, apparently in it some small town coroner knew about the fate of Clan Blood Spirit ??? The Wars of Reaving were a tightly guarded secret among the Clans during the Jihad but I guess by the 3130s their dirty laundry had been exposed to the whole universe.

I think it's more than that - especially as a lot of the writers in the back half had only a couple of Battlecorps credits under their belt.  There's exploration of factions who got sod all screentime until this run like the Free Worlds League, some deeper story elements like Danai's trauma... there's more meat here than the average classic-era BattleTech novel

Indeed, or Caleb's mental illness and the sometimes morally dubious tactics employed by various parties (e.g. the mountain resort on Clipperton). I think too another reason is that from around book 10 the DA novels focused more on the longstanding factions BattleTech knew and loved (or hated).
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #458 on: 01 October 2021, 17:24:07 »
It was stated in an AMA that the goal is to get the MWDA all re-released by the end of the year

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #459 on: 01 October 2021, 17:46:23 »
That would be something. More than one a week with only three months left

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #460 on: 01 October 2021, 17:53:28 »
It was stated in an AMA that the goal is to get the MWDA all re-released by the end of the year

Good news then. I managed to snap up most of the ebooks back in '14 when they were last available but I'm still missing Surrender Your Dreams, Principles of Desolation and that Ghost Bear one, and I hear the Wolf Hunters book wasn't half bad either. Wouldn't mind adding them to the collection.

Is Touring the Stars: Rocky still on the agenda for today?
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #461 on: 01 October 2021, 19:56:09 »

Just repeating back what was stated. I don't expect it to happen either, at this point, but as long as they are making progress, it's good!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #462 on: 01 October 2021, 20:43:28 »
Even on a slow Friday, I'm amazed at the products coming out in general.  Even if some of it is simply a reissue, give credit where it is due.  Bravo!
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #463 on: 02 October 2021, 03:33:57 »

Craig

Is that why we get more focus on animals and how to heal their wounds?

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #464 on: 02 October 2021, 06:42:15 »
Is Touring the Stars: Rocky still on the agenda for today?

Apologies, but no. We're resorting a few things, nothing to worry about, that TTS and SO: Hellion Keshik are still both close to release.

Also, record sheets for the units included in Shrapnel 5 and 6 are now available at: https://bg.battletech.com/shrapnel. My fault on the delay.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #465 on: 03 October 2021, 09:12:41 »
The next MechWarrior: Dark Ages available in re-release is The Scorpion Jar by Jason M. Hardy. It's available digitally now and in print soon.

https://books2read.com/BattleTechLegendsTheScorpionJar

POISON COMES IN MANY FORMS…

Exarch Damien Redburn has called for the election of his replacement. Paladins assemble from all corners of the Republic, and those vying to be the next Exarch are creating a lively nomination process. But machinations behind the scenes threaten to turn the election into a bloodbath.

Paladins Heather GioAvanti and Jonah Levin are both conducting investigations into suspicious activities swirling around the edges of this high-level gathering, including a suspected assassination at the highest level of Republic government. The leads they uncover repeatedly intersect, and it becomes clear that more than one group intends to disrupt the election. Through political influence, assassination, or rebellion, each of these cabals ultimately seeks to place its own man or woman in the Exarch's seat—and whoever controls the Exarch controls the Republic.

But Damien Redburn will not allow his successor to be a puppet, and is more than willing to throw a few 'Mechs and a secret agent or two into the mix to get the result he wants—even if what he wants may be a surprise to everyone else...

« Last Edit: 03 October 2021, 09:14:24 by Bosefius »
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #466 on: 03 October 2021, 09:59:14 »
I really like the original cover for Scorpion Jar but the new one is very nice as well. First time I can say the Spider has demanded attention.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #467 on: 03 October 2021, 16:44:15 »
I really like the original cover for Scorpion Jar but the new one is very nice as well. First time I can say the Spider has demanded attention.

Yeah, I -love- that old cover, it just captured motion, the building, EVERYTHING so WELL.  It really showed that the BattleTech universe is MORE than just the mechs.  Scorpion jar is also my absolute fave of the "classic" DA novels.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #468 on: 03 October 2021, 16:52:04 »
Is there an AMA coming up?  I can't seem to find the AMA thread around here, so I don't know the schedule.  i hope so, they're fun.  :)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #469 on: 03 October 2021, 16:54:21 »
AMA: kit takes questions for thirty minutes and tells the truth once

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #470 on: 03 October 2021, 17:06:51 »
Once again, I'd kill for clean textless versions of these covers
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #471 on: 03 October 2021, 17:30:22 »

You have to guess when it was though.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #472 on: 03 October 2021, 18:07:34 »
"Hi, my name's Kit"
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #473 on: 03 October 2021, 18:09:34 »
"Hi, my name's Kit"
That is a lie.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #474 on: 03 October 2021, 18:10:45 »
You have to guess when it was though.

Easy, right at the end: "Time's up"
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #475 on: 04 October 2021, 02:54:02 »

But every one of the answers is still "there's a 14-30% chance of that happening"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #476 on: 04 October 2021, 07:36:37 »
Easy, right at the end: "Time's up"

Loophole: cubby announces the end

Any word on the CampOps copies that didn’t ship with their orders last month? The copies at my FLGS are laughing at me whenever I go in and they’re starting to make me feel bad

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #477 on: 04 October 2021, 08:06:39 »

The Sourcebook of Three Lies.

Any word on the CampOps copies that didn’t ship with their orders last month? The copies at my FLGS are laughing at me whenever I go in and they’re starting to make me feel bad

I'll see if I can find anything out.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #478 on: 04 October 2021, 10:15:55 »
The Sourcebook of Three Lies.

Does that explain how to use the three seashells?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #479 on: 04 October 2021, 11:49:23 »
Does that explain how to use the three seashells?

Hahaha He doesn’t know how to use the three seashells? Can you believe this neandrathal?

Sorry I’ll see myself out now.

Register