Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXI: Urbie's Beer Run  (Read 141718 times)

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
Re: Upcoming Releases XXI: Urbie's Beer Run
« Reply #540 on: 07 October 2021, 20:34:07 »
In my old group we did aerospace and artillery, tanks and battle armor.  in addition to 'mech combat, of course. 

These new cards may only be the beginning of something new.  perhaps more options will become available in the future...

I'm kinda digging the idea? like was posted above, I was leery of aids like this and in other things like Xwing and such, but they really do make the game easier.

We play inf/BA/Protos/vees and BMs at our table, but never arty, AS fighters, fire, smoke, SOMETIMES mines, so if this makes it easier to integrate, i'm willing to try and see?

I mean, i haven't REALLY tried to get into aerospace since the original FASA "rules of war" and I've been doing this a while, you know? so, if it can make it easier for old farts like ME, it'll SUPER help new players.  :) ;D

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #541 on: 07 October 2021, 20:43:48 »
I’m really intrigued by the support deck. I love the idea of combined arms in Battletech, but sorting through the rules and various sources can be a chore. If these can help streamline the process, I’m all for it.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #542 on: 07 October 2021, 20:44:58 »
To both of the points above: whatever your feelings about the rules themselves, don't underestimate the importance of the tactile experience. As CGP and sadlerbw said in different ways, there are benefits to having tangible rules reminders/implements in front of a player. Many miniatures and RPG games have them now to varying degrees. I thought D&D spellbook cards were kind of a waste, but by the time my 9th-level evoker had three full pages of them, they were so essential.

The rules debate is what it is, but game aids like the Initiative Deck, the Battlefield Support Deck, and others, are important tools to help lower the bar for players of any experience level. They make the game just that much more approachable, and familiar to those who have tried other tabletop games.

Where do I indicate interest in equipment reminder cards for BattleTech weapons and equipment?  Because that's something that would be very cool.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #543 on: 07 October 2021, 20:47:01 »
Where do I indicate interest in equipment reminder cards for BattleTech weapons and equipment?  Because that's something that would be very cool.

100% in favor of something like that.

Steinbjorn

• Recruit
« Reply #544 on: 07 October 2021, 22:17:41 »
Is the novel Blood Will Tell not available in POD? I can only find it from secondary sellers or am I just blind.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." Erwin Rommel
I for one would love to see Blake come to the future, see the WoB, and mutter "Oh I'm going to kill Toyama for this idiocy!" - Atlas3060

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #545 on: 07 October 2021, 22:19:18 »
hmmm it appears to be turned off...

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #546 on: 08 October 2021, 00:42:38 »

Ditto! Especially the more exotic or recently released tech: every time I see a coolant pod I have to look up if it’s a one shot item or not because every time I see it I’m like ‘Why?’

As far as combined arms: the Ghost Bear in me dropped 75 Elementals onto a table with a single light mech and fourteen tanks (I mean they were basically rocket sleds). That’s combined arms enough for my local group. Course we want to play more combined arms but often (without proxies) it’s hard to acquire a decent amount of vehicles.

Blood Will Tell? My mind is going blank: which novel is this?

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #547 on: 08 October 2021, 00:50:11 »
Blood Will Tell? My mind is going blank: which novel is this?

New this year. Setup for the CapCon to invade ilclan and have a civil war.

If the rules for arty, air strikes, ect are too complicated, our local combined arms enthusiast will try to house-rule them to simplify. Funny how that always makes them more powerful.

Battlefield support all the way.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #548 on: 08 October 2021, 01:18:36 »
I too would love to see a "BattleTech: Vehicles and Infantry Manual" and a "BattleTech: Aerospace Manual". TW has done a decent job of being a BT "bible", but giving the book as it stands the BMM makeover sounds like a herculean task. As primarily an AS player, we are a bit spoiled with the harmony and comprehensiveness of AS:CE.
They could call it the "Aerospace, Infantry, & Vehicles Manual", or switch it to AVI?  To label it a "Combined Arms Manual" would lead people to believe it also included 'Mechs, and if it excluded them to concentrate on the AIV rules, then "Fans" would do their Crying "Fan" Stuff.   ::)  "I bought this and I didn't need it! CGL FORCED me to buy this useless book! Blah, Blah, Blah."   ;D

But seriously, doing a book streamlining the AIV rules like the BMM did for 'Mechs would be Cool for those that use Combined Arms.   :thumbsup:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #549 on: 08 October 2021, 01:25:48 »
New this year. Setup for the CapCon to invade ilclan and have a civil war.

If the rules for arty, air strikes, ect are too complicated, our local combined arms enthusiast will try to house-rule them to simplify. Funny how that always makes them more powerful.

Battlefield support all the way.

Now I remember: thanks!

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #550 on: 08 October 2021, 01:49:51 »
But seriously, doing a book streamlining the AIV rules like the BMM did for 'Mechs would be Cool for those that use Combined Arms.   :thumbsup:

Which brings up the question - how much of TacOps infantry rules do you put in that book? IntOps battlearmor gear? How severely do you label them optional?

Because if fieldguns are in the 'basic' book, you just know they're going to explode in popularity.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #551 on: 08 October 2021, 03:25:28 »
Is the novel Blood Will Tell not available in POD? I can only find it from secondary sellers or am I just blind.

Looks like it's available from Amazon in the UK and Germany.  When I checked the US site there was an option to get it new from Book Depository, but that might be because I was checking from Ireland.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #552 on: 08 October 2021, 07:10:38 »
It appears to have been dropped as a PoD option. The physical copies for sale are from third party sellers. This has happened before with other books and it was a matter of letting Amazon know to resume offering PoD

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #553 on: 08 October 2021, 07:13:09 »
Which brings up the question - how much of TacOps infantry rules do you put in that book? IntOps battlearmor gear? How severely do you label them optional?

Because if fieldguns are in the 'basic' book, you just know they're going to explode in popularity.

BMM presents a selection of TacOps rules as optional addons. Presumably a few things like digging in would be included. Field guns rules are too involved for one of those bonus boxes

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #554 on: 08 October 2021, 08:35:20 »

Sartis made some. Gear Cards - Game Aids for New (and Forgetful) Players

Not official, but really nice.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #555 on: 08 October 2021, 08:52:37 »

As far as combined arms: the Ghost Bear in me dropped 75 Elementals onto a table with a single light mech and fourteen tanks (I mean they were basically rocket sleds). That’s combined arms enough for my local group. Course we want to play more combined arms but often (without proxies) it’s hard to acquire a decent amount of vehicles.

This is why I'm reluctant to support a BMM for Aerospace, Vehicles, and Infantry. For as long as I can remember, the only one out of those three that has been remotely easy to acquire in large numbers is infantry, and mostly only in the form of Elementals. I would love to have a resource that is devoted to non-mech units, but not if getting representations of those units onto the battlefield remains difficult. Frankly, I just don't see how CGL could justify the resources for something like that, no matter how cool it would be.

Circling back around the Battlefield Support deck and the abstraction systems, I really like these options. They provide the feel of diverse, chaotic battles while conveniently sidestepping the above problem. It also dovetails very nicely into the recent focus on battlemechs. I mean, come on, the primary draw of the game has always been big stompy robots, right? I know some of us want to branch off into different directions, but we're all here for the same core reason. That reason should absolutely remain the core focus of the game, but adding these cool little options, either as an on-ramp to hunting down minis for non-mech units or as an end unto itself, really help inject some new life into the game.

We shouldn't be afraid to add player aids to the game. They do wonders for similarly complicated games, like D&D. If they make the game easier for new folks to get into, or provide a lure to get newer players to explore past the intro boxes, I'm happy to see them made available.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #556 on: 08 October 2021, 09:09:36 »
It appears to have been dropped as a PoD option. The physical copies for sale are from third party sellers. This has happened before with other books and it was a matter of letting Amazon know to resume offering PoD

I'll let John know; we're on the case.

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #557 on: 08 October 2021, 09:31:35 »
It's probably just me being curmudgeonly, but whenever I see stuff like this, I see new players being told that combined-arms gaming is a chore to be avoided, rather than something they can work up to if they choose to do so.

It's why as much as I love the source material and scenarios, I can never truly enjoy the Tukayyid book.

I just want to step in here, and say this has absolutely nothing to do with Combined arms, so don't worry.

The deck covers:

Artillery, Minefields, Aerospace - and that is it. The rules from Tukayyid on Combined arms is nowhere in the deck. So forces with VTOLs, Tanks, BA, Infantry are not 'dumbed-down' or removed.

it is just the rules from BMM pages 75-79.

that's it...and honestly I want as it will pair sooooo nicely with the Initiative deck.

And if I can put out new deck ideas...Special terrain/Weather needs a deck! Cards for SNOW, ICE, FIRE, RAIN, FOG, MUD, etc, etc, etc.

let me stop flipping through multiple pages!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #558 on: 08 October 2021, 09:34:20 »
I would like to add my support for this as well.
With what's potentially equipment bloat, game aids like this would be very helpful smoothing gameplay and onboarding new players.  That's somewhat important given GCL want's to move the game years forward where equipment with specific rules are common.
Succession Wars era tends to be used for onboarding players, but if the rules are presented in an easier to use form it might be possible to onboard new players in later eras.  MOST of the rules aren't complicated or hard to learn, the issues is more the quantity of them and being able to remember them all. Hell I prefer SSW recordsheets to CGL's official ones for the hit tables because memorizing it is hard for me and keeping the book open is a bit annoying.

As for combined arms stuff, I still would REALLY like to see CGL provide a bit more modernized support for vehicles and infantry with a BMM type book and at least a couple plastic minis, but I know that's a pipe dream.   On the other hand, stuff like artillery and aerospace tends to spend a lot of time off map anyway.  (yes you can do on-board artillery, though I have my balance complaints about how that trivializes TMMs, but ASFs require a fairly large play area to run on groundsheets, otherwise they only show up to attack before leaving for another map)  Given that, I think those at least work just fine if they are abstracted a bit.  And, honestly, not sure I would put those two items under combined arms with the tanks and infantry even if it's technically true simply because, regardless of which rules you are using, they operate and interact differently.  Minefields certainly wouldn't be combined arms.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #559 on: 08 October 2021, 09:56:28 »

I'll let John know; we're on the case.

Looks like it's just the US, UK and German sites look normal
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #560 on: 08 October 2021, 10:28:34 »
fortunately it appears to be the only one affected. the last amazon-induced oopsie affected several titles

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #561 on: 08 October 2021, 10:47:58 »
Good to know, thanks for the check!
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Fruitfly

• Corporal
« Reply #562 on: 08 October 2021, 10:52:54 »
People. Please. This video is something extra. It’s not replacing a blog post. There was never going to be a blog post. This video takes nothing away from you. It is one little thing that exists where nothing existed before.

There is literally nothing to complain about here, and yet, here we are.

As a long lapsed player (Oh, the days when the Clans were new) re-engaging with the game and IP here very recently, and doing so deeper than I had before (I'm now reading my second novel) - seeing a developer basically go "Why would we offer any info ourselves about a brand new product" and act like expecting the company itself to publish something announcing and describing said brand new product is an unrealistic expectation to be derided is, uh...what? The product line is extensive enough and the organization of the website is lacking enough that it's sometimes rather hard to figure out what's what and what's available and what's relevant and so on (though I have been sorting through and big shout out to Sartris and their  "So you bought the box set" thread) - and now I'm finding out that I can't even rely on CGL to tell me about all their new products is, in all sincerity, kind of mind-boggling.
The Mighty Might Fruitfly

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #563 on: 08 October 2021, 10:54:30 »
The deck covers:

Artillery, Minefields, Aerospace - and that is it. The rules from Tukayyid on Combined arms is nowhere in the deck. So forces with VTOLs, Tanks, BA, Infantry are not 'dumbed-down' or removed.

it is just the rules from BMM pages 75-79.

Ah, damn it. I had hoped Tukayyid additions were covered as well, since they're Battlefield Support as well.

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #564 on: 08 October 2021, 11:11:19 »
As a long lapsed player (Oh, the days when the Clans were new) re-engaging with the game and IP here very recently, and doing so deeper than I had before (I'm now reading my second novel) - seeing a developer basically go "Why would we offer any info ourselves about a brand new product" and act like expecting the company itself to publish something announcing and describing said brand new product is an unrealistic expectation to be derided is, uh...what? The product line is extensive enough and the organization of the website is lacking enough that it's sometimes rather hard to figure out what's what and what's available and what's relevant and so on (though I have been sorting through and big shout out to Sartris and their  "So you bought the box set" thread) - and now I'm finding out that I can't even rely on CGL to tell me about all their new products is, in all sincerity, kind of mind-boggling.

But it also doesn't hurt you so you don't have anything to complain about. Think of the millions of products in the world you don't have a blog post about.

There is way more important stuff in the world to spend your time having your mind boggled.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2021, 11:14:59 by bobthecoward »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #565 on: 08 October 2021, 11:18:47 »
Ah, damn it. I had hoped Tukayyid additions were covered as well, since they're Battlefield Support as well.

Nope. Looks to be just the ARTY/MINE/AERO options.

Deck has mutiple cards as game aids for both players, etc.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Fruitfly

• Corporal
« Reply #566 on: 08 October 2021, 11:24:00 »
But it also doesn't hurt you so you don't have anything to complain about. Think of the millions of products in the world you don't have a blog post about.

Why is "hurt" the only level of negative effect for which complainants are reasonable? Why isn't "annoyed" or "confused" or the like reasonable?

I don't expect Crest to make a blog post about their newest UltraGlitterSparkle Freshening ToothGel because their business model isn't one focused around an ongoing stream of new releases and they don't have a company blog in which they announce and feature new products along with Coming Soon and Latest Products pages on their websit.

This stance that its somehow unreasonable to expect CGL to make even a bare effort to go "Hey, we have this new thing, here's a quick description of it" somewhere other than 17+ pages in on a thread on the company forums is blatantly disingenuous.

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #567 on: 08 October 2021, 11:27:28 »
Why is "hurt" the only level of negative effect for which complainants are reasonable? Why isn't "annoyed" or "confused" or the like reasonable?

I don't expect Crest to make a blog post about their newest UltraGlitterSparkle Freshening ToothGel because their business model isn't one focused around an ongoing stream of new releases and they don't have a company blog in which they announce and feature new products along with Coming Soon and Latest Products pages on their websit.

This stance that its somehow unreasonable to expect CGL to make even a bare effort to go "Hey, we have this new thing, here's a quick description of it" somewhere other than 17+ pages in on a thread on the company forums is blatantly disingenuous.

There is nothing to be annoyed by and that is an unreasonable expectation.

Fruitfly

• Corporal
« Reply #568 on: 08 October 2021, 11:38:51 »
There is nothing to be annoyed by and that is an unreasonable expectation.

Your bad faith is noted :)

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #569 on: 08 October 2021, 11:53:47 »
It would have been a reasonable expectation until sometime in the last decade. The world works different now. But that's for a CGL product

Our friends at Death From Above Wargaming introduce

It's third party, or something close.

« Last Edit: 08 October 2021, 12:13:07 by Greatclub »