Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXI: Urbie's Beer Run  (Read 141744 times)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Re: Upcoming Releases XXI: Urbie's Beer Run
« Reply #570 on: 08 October 2021, 11:56:47 »
I just want to step in here, and say this has absolutely nothing to do with Combined arms, so don't worry.

The deck covers:

Artillery, Minefields, Aerospace - and that is it. The rules from Tukayyid on Combined arms is nowhere in the deck. So forces with VTOLs, Tanks, BA, Infantry are not 'dumbed-down' or removed.

it is just the rules from BMM pages 75-79.

that's it...and honestly I want as it will pair sooooo nicely with the Initiative deck.

And if I can put out new deck ideas...Special terrain/Weather needs a deck! Cards for SNOW, ICE, FIRE, RAIN, FOG, MUD, etc, etc, etc.

let me stop flipping through multiple pages!

I would like to see a scenario deck -- a scenario on a card -- basic setup, terrain type, victory conditions, and any special rules.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), Two "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," and "Shadows of the Past," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Three White Roses," and "The Markslaughter Files."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." "In the Shadow of Dragons" (Out July 15th!) and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #571 on: 08 October 2021, 12:11:48 »
Nope. Looks to be just the ARTY/MINE/AERO options.

Deck has mutiple cards as game aids for both players, etc.
Multiple cards is good certainly.
And perhaps it isn't reasonable to combine the sets.

I do hope the Combined Arms support things could get their own deck, and tokens for the vehicles and infantry. Wouldn't need to use improvised tokens, at least until i get around getting minis for this purpose (or or just minis for vehicles and infantry i can also use for BSCA tokens if needed).

Fruitfly

• Corporal
« Reply #572 on: 08 October 2021, 12:12:04 »
I would like to see a scenario deck -- a scenario on a card -- basic setup, terrain type, victory conditions, and any special rules.

40K/AoS has something like this with their Open War decks, which has you drawing a random deployment map, victory condition, and special rule twist to create a scenario (along with two more subdecks of special ploys and "sudden death" victory conditions that can be used to add more flavor or aid a force that is undersized compared to the other) - something like that sounds like it could work very well for BT. The splitting core elements of a scenario across multiple subdecks allows for lots of combinations.
The Mighty Might Fruitfly

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #573 on: 08 October 2021, 12:35:08 »
This stance that its somehow unreasonable to expect CGL to make even a bare effort to go "Hey, we have this new thing, here's a quick description of it" somewhere other than 17+ pages in on a thread on the company forums is blatantly disingenuous.

Since you're just getting back into the game, I wanted to let you know that we announce all new product on the day of its release on the website, here on the forums, and on several social media platforms.

Previews like this, produced by partner content producers, is new territory. That's what Ray was speaking to. Announcing new product certainly isn't.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #574 on: 08 October 2021, 12:41:09 »
++mod notice++

Certain folks in here are going to step away from the thread and calm down. This is not a request. The moderator staff can and will enforce this if necessary.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #575 on: 08 October 2021, 13:04:16 »
Ahhh, my BattleTech.   We're living the life, and hey, it's Friday!  That's worth an exclamation point or two !!
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #576 on: 08 October 2021, 13:24:44 »
Ahhh, my BattleTech.   We're living the life, and hey, it's Friday!  That's worth an exclamation point or two !!

It wouldn't be BattleTech without harrumphs.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #577 on: 08 October 2021, 13:53:35 »
True that.  We lived through the Golden Age of the grognards, so hey...

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #578 on: 08 October 2021, 14:04:24 »
And as our neckbeards go grey, does that mean we're in the Silver Age? :D
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Stormy

• Master Sergeant
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #579 on: 08 October 2021, 14:08:23 »
Love it. It’s probably the only way
I’ll get combined arms to my table, so I’m looking forward to talking my FLGS into ordering it

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #580 on: 08 October 2021, 14:34:30 »

Haha, it would certainly seem so.  I keep my neck scruff shaved to hide it, so I'm not so sure where I fit in.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #581 on: 08 October 2021, 14:43:30 »
Agent in place ...
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #582 on: 08 October 2021, 14:43:40 »

Tou, dear friend, are as bronze age as anyone I know.  ^-^
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #583 on: 08 October 2021, 15:10:01 »
I apologize for creating that impression. Every move we make is met with instantaneous criticism, and once in a while the exasperation can be overwhelming.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #584 on: 08 October 2021, 15:14:26 »
I apologize for creating that impression. Every move we make is met with instantaneous criticism, and once in a while the exasperation can be overwhelming.

Always remember that some of us love and appreciate everything you do for the game.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #585 on: 08 October 2021, 15:21:49 »
I second that.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #586 on: 08 October 2021, 15:30:17 »
I mean… I wouldn’t be mad at more Piranha variants and Piranha-related products… but yeah, I definitely third the sentiment.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #589 on: 08 October 2021, 15:42:45 »
No videos, blog post plz.

[weeping] you... can't please everyone so you... got to please yourself

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #590 on: 08 October 2021, 15:46:43 »
[weeping] you... can't please everyone so you... got to please yourself

I got an ad for Voltaren? ;)

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #591 on: 08 October 2021, 15:49:29 »
I got an ad for Voltaren? ;)

It gave me tequila.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #592 on: 08 October 2021, 15:50:24 »
targeted ads are real and terrifying.

also I forget about ads because I run uBlock Origin

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #593 on: 08 October 2021, 16:03:00 »
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #594 on: 08 October 2021, 16:08:12 »
Thirded.

he went for the cheap joke and succeeded

Fruitfly

• Corporal
« Reply #595 on: 08 October 2021, 16:20:28 »

Apology accepted and I quite understand! With Cubby's explaining this is CGL trying new things for previewing products, "A 34 minute video is a lot to chew through to find out the basics about a newly revealed product" may be criticism, but it is constructive criticism and relevant to finding out how this new approach is working and ways to refine it.

To be clear, even before knowing the intent behind it, I think the video itself is a great idea - its clearly a way to hype a new thing and get more creator and community engagement. The lack of any kind of CGL posting about the product excludes people that are interested but aren't in a position to watch or scan through a long video or simply don't absorb info from videos as well as from text - plus as seen in this thread, it even created confusion as to if this was a CGL or DFAW product! As a suggestion, a blog post/other CGL announcements going up shortly after the content creator debuts their "scoop" would actually help this process out. In this case, something like "Death From Above Wargaming Previews the New Battlefield Support Deck" with a link/embeed to their video and a blurb along the lines of "Coming Oct 8, the BSP Deck is a handy reference and play aid for using the abstracted battlefield support rules found in the BMM!" both increases the reach of DFWA's scoop (and of DFAW in general) and is a very useful summary of the product for people that are just looking for that.

Rougarou Rhapsody

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Agent #1053
« Reply #596 on: 08 October 2021, 17:13:15 »
Apology accepted and I quite understand! With Cubby's explaining this is CGL trying new things for previewing products, "A 34 minute video is a lot to chew through to find out the basics about a newly revealed product" may be criticism, but it is constructive criticism and relevant to finding out how this new approach is working and ways to refine it.

To be clear, even before knowing the intent behind it, I think the video itself is a great idea - its clearly a way to hype a new thing and get more creator and community engagement. The lack of any kind of CGL posting about the product excludes people that are interested but aren't in a position to watch or scan through a long video or simply don't absorb info from videos as well as from text - plus as seen in this thread, it even created confusion as to if this was a CGL or DFAW product! As a suggestion, a blog post/other CGL announcements going up shortly after the content creator debuts their "scoop" would actually help this process out. In this case, something like "Death From Above Wargaming Previews the New Battlefield Support Deck" with a link/embeed to their video and a blurb along the lines of "Coming Oct 8, the BSP Deck is a handy reference and play aid for using the abstracted battlefield support rules found in the BMM!" both increases the reach of DFWA's scoop (and of DFAW in general) and is a very useful summary of the product for people that are just looking for that.

To be honest, I think it is a situation where CGL is damned if they do and damned if they don't.  There are some extremely vocal and critical folks in the community who never say anything positive no matter what CGL says or does.  I imagine it's extremely discouraging to do something half the community suggests and calls for only for the other half to throw insults in response and vice versa.

Additionally, I've witnessed people not read what CGL posts, or only half read it before jumping to extreme conclusions, say "not good enough" to whats posted, or assume that what CGL posts is somehow purposefully misleading in some way. All of those things happen repeatedly.  So in a lot of ways there doesn't seem to be a perfect way to communicate things to the community and have it be taken for face value without some kind of unwarranted "constructive criticism" being given.

That doesnt even include the people that don't follow the posts on the main BT site or any social media platform and then scream that CGL isn't doing enough to keep fans informed.  The wolf's dragoons star force pack is the perfect example. It was announced in the main BT site, CGL's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, as well as BT's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Not only that but the fan run "everything battletech" posted it on their Facebook and discord channel as well as sharing it to battletech international Facebook page and the classic battletech page all within 5 minutes of the announcement. Most things also make it to the battletech subreddit within an hour.  But it didn't stop a ton of people complaning "there wasn't enough communication about it" weeks later. When what it really comes down to is some people aren't motivated to do even the bare minimum of staying up to date on the things they are a "fan" of while finding it easier to complain that personalized notifications aren't hand delivered by courier to their front door.   At least that's the way it seems to my casual observations and interactions with the community on multiple platforms....though YMMV
“No half measures. Some things can’t be cut in half. You can’t half-love someone. You can’t half-betray, or half-lie.” ― Mark Lawrence, Emperor of Thorns

Fruitfly

• Corporal
« Reply #597 on: 08 October 2021, 18:06:10 »
To be honest, I think it is a situation where CGL is damned if they do and damned if they don't.  There are some extremely vocal and critical folks in the community who never say anything positive no matter what CGL says or does.  I imagine it's extremely discouraging to do something half the community suggests and calls for only for the other half to throw insults in response and vice versa.

Additionally, I've witnessed people not read what CGL posts, or only half read it before jumping to extreme conclusions, say "not good enough" to whats posted, or assume that what CGL posts is somehow purposefully misleading in some way. All of those things happen repeatedly.  So in a lot of ways there doesn't seem to be a perfect way to communicate things to the community and have it be taken for face value without some kind of unwarranted "constructive criticism" being given.

That doesnt even include the people that don't follow the posts on the main BT site or any social media platform and then scream that CGL isn't doing enough to keep fans informed.  The wolf's dragoons star force pack is the perfect example. It was announced in the main BT site, CGL's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, as well as BT's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Not only that but the fan run "everything battletech" posted it on their Facebook and discord channel as well as sharing it to battletech international Facebook page and the classic battletech page all within 5 minutes of the announcement. Most things also make it to the battletech subreddit within an hour.  But it didn't stop a ton of people complaning "there wasn't enough communication about it" weeks later. When what it really comes down to is some people aren't motivated to do even the bare minimum of staying up to date on the things they are a "fan" of while finding it easier to complain that personalized notifications aren't hand delivered by courier to their front door.   At least that's the way it seems to my casual observations and interactions with the community on multiple platforms....though YMMV

I mean, that is the Internet :)

But that does unfortunately mean good faith feed back and criticism all too often gets drowned under the bad faith hyperbole, and people that aren't asking hand delivered front door notices but just making an honest suggestion seeing only response to the bad faith that look to lump *all* criticism as such is disheartening and can weaken player engagement.

As noted, I totally get Adrian's frustration, very much appreciate his apology and Cubby's explanation, and feel confident at this point that the honest feedback is indeed being taken onboard.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #598 on: 08 October 2021, 18:18:06 »
that personalized notifications aren't hand delivered by courier to their front door.

I would like to subscribe to this service!

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #599 on: 08 October 2021, 19:04:49 »
Any news about Spotlight On: Hellion Keshik?